Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Slimming World

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

ja1986 wrote: »
    Can someone take a look at today and tell me if it was ok or any advise:
    Breakfast : omelette with tomato and onion with fly light., banana, muller light yougurt

Lunch: 4 ryvita with 4 extra light laughing cow cheeses., plum

Dinner: potatoes bacon and cabbage.

I made a raspeberry roulette cake apparently it's half a syn for the whole cake (3 eggs, vanilla essence, baking powder, sweetner, quok, fresh raspberrys)
    Thanks

Looks ok, depending on serving size you might need to pack in some extra fruit and veg to make it to 1/3 superfree, maybe some salad at lunch or carrot sticks or something? Are you full, or feeling deprived?

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭ja1986

Sorry I actually had tomatoes and onion ontop of the rivitas and lots of cabbage with the dinner so I thought that was my 1/3 superfree :/

I'm so bloody bloated I'm stuffed. I kinda feel guilty about the spuds I had three. And that cake kinda seems too good to be true.

I haven't felt deprived yet on this diet

ja1986 wrote: »
    Sorry I actually had tomatoes and onion ontop of the rivitas and lots of cabbage with the dinner so I thought that was my 1/3 superfree :/

I'm so bloody bloated I'm stuffed. I kinda feel guilty about the spuds I had three. And that cake kinda seems too good to be true.

I haven't felt deprived yet on this diet

Try myfitnesspal.ie, you log all you eat for the day and it shows you how much you've taken in of each nutrient and the calorie count for the day etc. It doesn't sound like you've over-eaten, but I'd say keep things like the cake for once a week or once a month or whatever, which should help you lose the taste for it somewhat.
    Don't feel guilty for having your spuds, they're the right kind of thing to fill up on.
    Not feeling deprived is the number one plus point of SW!!

Quick update on the brownies posted on Thursday! They do indeed improve with age :)
    Just had one with fat free Quark mixed with a tiny bit of sweetener, vanilla and sliced strawberries. Seriously, better than cheesecake :) And only 2 syns :) 2 fellow SW'rs just gave it a 10 out of 10, diet or no diet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

OK so I think ive been making a massive mistake all along...
    I thought steak mince had to be less than 5% fat to be labeled as such. I have been eating steak mince to beat the band since starting slimming world as "free" meals. But I've just been reading a post on Facebook about Angus Steak mince from Aldi and somebody has just commented saying its approx 10.5syns for the 454g.

So...now I'm a little bit confused...help :(

• Advertisement

Gee_G wrote: »
    OK so I think ive been making a massive mistake all along...
    I thought steak mince had to be less than 5% fat to be labeled as such. I have been eating steak mince to beat the band since starting slimming world as "free" meals. But I've just been reading a post on Facebook about Angus Steak mince from Aldi and somebody has just commented saying its approx 10.5syns for the 454g.

So...now I'm a little bit confused...help :(

Eek! Just make sure it's labelled lean and 'typical fat content under 5%' in future (Tesco lean steak mince, for example) or get it from the butchers (they'll grind a piece of steak for you and only include as much fat as you actually want)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

dee_mc wrote: »
    Eek! Just make sure it's labelled lean and 'typical fat content under 5%' in future (Tesco lean steak mince, for example) or get it from the butchers (they'll grind a piece of steak for you and only include as much fat as you actually want)

Yeah will start getting it in tesco. :(
    Thanks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 phonejabber

Gee_G wrote: »
    Yeah will start getting it in tesco. :(
    Thanks ;)

Tesco do a less than 15%, less than 10% and less than 5% mince so make sure u read the label. Typically the low fat one is more expensive. Aldi also do an extra lean mince which is fine. Hope u have a good loss now u have realised your mistake!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

€5.79 for 500g in Tesco. Just bought it earlier. The labelling isn't as clear as it used to be, think its labelled 'Healthy Living'. The less than 5% fat is written closer to the bottom in small text now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Had my weigh in this morning, only down a pound. Bit disappointed with it, have been walking every morning and eating all that I thought was good. Going back to read the book again from cover to cover. Overall weight loss is 1 stone 1 pound in 6 six weeks so not that bad, but thought I "felt lighter" this week. Some clothes hanging off me. Really thought it would be about 3-4 lbs down. Ah well.............

• Advertisement

Had my weigh in this morning, only down a pound. Bit disappointed with it, have been walking every morning and eating all that I thought was good. Going back to read the book again from cover to cover. Overall weight loss is 1 stone 1 pound in 6 six weeks so not that bad, but thought I "felt lighter" this week. Some clothes hanging off me. Really thought it would be about 3-4 lbs down. Ah well.............

It sounds like you've lost inches this week, so don't be disheartened!
    Anyway, 15 pounds in 6 weeks is phenomenal, think of it this way: you've lost the weight of two full term babies!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Yeah ive often felt like that too but it could def be inches you are losing too and and toning up so try not get too disheartened. Thats an amazing loss in that space of time so well done.

Also, if you are concerned, maybe try doing a food diary for a week and see if you are going wrong anywhere. But if you are losing every week then thats great and doesnt sound like you are doing anything wrong. You wont have big losses every week but just think any loss is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

I watched an episode of the US The Biggest Loser and one of the contestants lost 1lb that week. These are people who weight over 250lbs, eat (probably) about 1000cals a day and exercise for 6 hours a day. Sometimes it just doesn't happen.

I lost 2lbs this week. I was half a pound off being the slimmer of the week... Why did I eat dinner before going?!

gubbie wrote: »
    I watched an episode of the US The Biggest Loser and one of the contestants lost 1lb that week. These are people who weight over 250lbs, eat (probably) about 1000cals a day and exercise for 6 hours a day. Sometimes it just doesn't happen.

I lost 2lbs this week. I was half a pound off being the slimmer of the week... Why did I eat dinner before going?!

Oh god i never eat before going lol. I usually try and not eat too much the same day as my weigh in and dont go mad drinking water either. Not sure whether it makes a diff or not ha ha. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭LittleMissDiva

gubbie wrote: »

Wondering how can you say you were half a pound off being the slimmer of the week? I thought it is not always the person who loses the most, it's more the person who has a constant weight lose :confused:

3 pound loss and slimmer of the week, can't believe it as it was my 'star week' (cringe!) and I felt very bloated and heavy all week!
    11.5 pounds in 4 weeks, delighted :) 1 stone award next week hopefully

Wondering how can you say you were half a pound off being the slimmer of the week? I thought it is not always the person who loses the most, it's more the person who has a constant weight lose :confused:

Our class only awards slimmer of the week to the person that has lost the most. Some class leaders must have different ways of doing things..

Thanks guys for all the words of encouragement, it's great to have ye. Weight of 2 babies helped :D;)

Onwards and upwards for next week for us all x

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

I've no idea... but they said "We have 3 slimmers of the week, who have all lost 2 and a half lbs" *clap clap clap*

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭sweet girl

Hi guys, I've just joined slimming world for the first time. I'm 5 ft and weigh 9 St 11 lbs. how many syns do you think I should allow myself? I forgot to ask my leader at the class.

• Advertisement

sweet girl wrote: »
    Hi guys, I've just joined slimming world for the first time. I'm 5 ft and weigh 9 St 11 lbs. how many syns do you think I should allow myself? I forgot to ask my leader at the class.

The recommended daily syn allowance is 5-15 so it's up to you whether you want to use the max (15) or if you just want to use a few but they do say to use your syns and all low yourself treats etc but make sure you syn them.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭hbonbr

Can someone tell me if I'm doing this correctly?
    I have just made a beef casserole on the slow cooker, I used lean steak, onions carrots and potatoes, and a packet of Knorr casserole mix. So my syn value is just a quarter of the packet, say, two syns ?

Seems great for such a wholesome meal!

hbonbr wrote: »
    Can someone tell me if I'm doing this correctly?
    I have just made a beef casserole on the slow cooker, I used lean steak, onions carrots and potatoes, and a packet of Knorr casserole mix. So my syn value is just a quarter of the packet, say, two syns ?

Seems great for such a wholesome meal!

As long as all visible fat was removed from the steak before cooking, yep, 2 syns!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭PennyWren

I was up 2.5 this week, completely deserved. I was actually pretty happy with that as I was expecting 4/5! I missed a week and that whole week I just didn't stop eating and drinking. I'm glad I had the gain as it's put me back on track. I have 12.5 to go to target and I'm hoping to get there by mid November, which will be my 1 yr anniversary of joining SW.
    Today I resisted cake and had a grapefruit instead, onwards and downwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

Does anyone know what category Quinoa Flakes comes in under? I know the grain is free and the flour needs to be synned, but I can't find any reference to the flakes. Just got some off a friend to try out so I'm going to have them for breakfast instead of porridge in the morning. Really hoping it's not very high in syns!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Do all your leaders phone you during the week to check in on how you are doing?

Mine does and I find it really irritating. She called at 730pm last night when I was putting the baby to bed, other times she called I was in boot camp/at a funeral/having lunch with friends Tec.

Tbh I am finding the whole thing very cult,ish/stalkery

Also does anyone know the syn value of supervalue "Sean's wholemeal bread"

John Mason wrote: »

Mine does and I find it really irritating. She called at 730pm last night when I was putting the baby to bed, other times she called I was in boot camp/at a funeral/having lunch with friends Tec.

No idea re the bread but I've only had one call, during my first week. I'm sure if you just ask for contact by text or email instead of calls the consultant will be grand with it! Some people would probably appreciate the support but I'm the same as you, I don't even like the 'motivational' texts to be honest but it's all part of the experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

John Mason wrote: »

That kind of thing is the reason I joined online instead of group! It's really not my thing. There are plenty of people that really need that kind if extra support though. Just politely explain that you have a busy lifestyle and the calls aren't convienient\beneficial to you. Or if you're a bit nervous about speaking to her just stop answering the phone! She'll get the hint eventually :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I meant to drop in and post after my weigh in on Thursday evening!

Week 2 of Slimming world and I lost 1.5 pounds so I have lost 7.5 pounds in two weeks and I am enjoying life on the plan. I guess I can't complain so far :D

I am 5"4 (female), what weight should I be aiming for as a final target weight, I want to try and approach my consultant about this next week. I originally was thinking of 10 stone but maybe it should be 9 stone or so.

• Advertisement

Vahevala wrote: »
    I meant to drop in and post after my weigh in on Thursday evening!

Week 2 of Slimming world and I lost 1.5 pounds so I have lost 7.5 pounds in two weeks and I am enjoying life on the plan. I guess I can't complain so far :D

I am 5"4 (female), what weight should I be aiming for as a final target weight, I want to try and approach my consultant about this next week. I originally was thinking of 10 stone but maybe it should be 9 stone or so.

I'm around the same height and I set a target of 10 too. Maybe when I get there I'll decide to reset it but I'm not moving the goalposts just yet! I'd say aim for the 10 and once you're there or nearly there see how you feel about changing (can be done at any time as far as I'm aware)
    Congrats on your weight loss so far by the way, great feeling isn't it!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement