Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Post-Pregnancy Moan Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Oh you poor thing I've never even heard of that! Hope you're feeling ok!

Anyone out there still getting swollen ankles?😞

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

Oh fiona that sounds nasty never heard of that. I'm sure that wasn't a nice experience x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

SmokeyEyes wrote: »
    We brought baba for a 12 week checkup with community nurse today, she's referring us to physio because she said the back of his head is getting flat as he's on his back or in his chair rocker with his head against it a fair amount and their skulls are easily shaped when they're young. Basically he needs more tummy time and time lying on his side to help correct this. Neither of us had ever read or been told about this so we were really surprised but after looking it up it's supposedly quite common, poor little guy:(

It is extremely common! And it's quite a recent problem, since parents are now being encouraged to put their babies to sleep on their backs rather than on their tummies. Cot deaths have been massively reduced, but incidences of positional plagiocephaly ("flathead") are gone way up, because as you said their little skulls are so easily shaped and moulded at that age - not so much of a problem when they weren't left on their back.

It's a bit crap that you were never told about it; we were told about it at our antenatal classes, and our PHN went through it with us as well at her first visit. And even so; even though we were aware of it and doing what we could to prevent it in the early months, he still ended up with a moderate case of it. The physiotherapist told us that it's not really something you can prevent; some babies just are naturally inclined to develop it.

Bear in mind that it's almost always just a "cosmetic" problem, i.e. it's rare that there's any actual physical/medical issues involved. And it's definitely reverseable.
    Suucee wrote: »
    My lil guy had this. Thanks to another boardies advice. I put him in a sling alot. Used a bumbo (i know these are controversial) and even lay him on his side in travel cot for day time naps and during the night i would turn his head to the none favoured side (he normally turned it straight back but uf he was in a deep enough sleep he woundnt) . and at his last check (2 weeks ago) they were very happy and discharged us.

Delighted he's doing so well Suucee (I might have been that boardsie, under a previous username! ;) ) We've been discharged from the physio too now.

SmokeyEyes as above, the main things that the physio recommended were a sling (which never really worked too well for us, but I'd definitely try again with future babies, all kinds of benefits to them.) And a Bumbo - as Suucee said, they're controversial (risk of baby falling over in it) but, I never left him alone in it, and he never even came close to toppling over in it. Obviously follow the usual safety precautions - use it on a flat solid surface, and only on the floor, not at a height. There are other versions you can get - I think maybe the Mamas and Papas version has been recommended here as being safest? Honestly I'd go with whatever you can get secondhand (we got given a Bumbo for free!) as it's something they'll outgrow quite quickly - but it definitely made a big difference for him.

As for exercises, it's all about the tummy time - just have him on his tummy as much as possible when he's awake. If he's lying on your chest, or if you sit cross-legged with him propped up on your knee, it all counts. Encourage him to reach for toys etc with both hands. In his cot, hang mirrors/toys/etc on his "less favoured" side, to encourage him to look that way. One exercise we were given that seemed to help was to stand in front of a mirror holding baby perpendicular to you - i.e. baby is parallel to the ground, with his bum/back resting against your tummy - and they should try to raise their head so that it is in line with the rest of their body. This is really good for their neck muscles.

Our boy's "flathead" was pretty severe and noticeable at around 3-5 months, but now that he's almost 9 months, you wouldn't really notice it at all (and their head continues to "round out" until around 24 months.) So I'm hopeful that there won't be any permanent effects from it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

This is more of an anti moan! Feeling great for the first time in ages! Big boss from work emailed me asking would I be interested in an awesome position/promotion at work! I had to decline but it was totally awesome for my ego as I thought id be pushed to the back as I've been off for 2 years having babies. And T got accepted into an awesome Montessori for next year. These are the first good things that have happened in ages!!! (Except for my beautiful babies of course!!).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Before I even ask this I realise that I do sound a little impatient with things but here goes anyway!
    How long did it take for your bits to feel,........well like normal,again?
    My little girl is only 17 days old so I am probably way off the mark here in thinking about this?
    I didn't need any stitches thankfully so I don't have a big trauma or wound to recover from and generally things feel ok, still sensitive, but ok. However sometimes, generally when I'm tired, it feels as though things there are more tender than other days.
    Also, the bleeding, in general how long did it go on for with you guys? Again it's not the worst and during the day regular sanitary towel work fine in place of the massive maternity ones, I use those for night time only, but I'd be happy enough to see the back of that too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭dustie1

My moan today is vaccinations! My LO's crying was so awful I was tearing up myself. She's home now and fine again.. but I'm still a bit worse for wear as the Nurse said she'll see us back in 8 weeks again. I know how important they are but cant help but dread it!

@Penny, I didnt have a vaginal birth but at the 3-4 week mark things all seem better and normality returns! There's a lot of hormonal stuff too which doesnt help with returning to 'normal'. It does get better :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Penny, i think it's different for everyone. I'm nearly 7 months postpartum, but things are not back to normal for me yet. I had a pretty bad tear though. Lochia went on about 4ish weeks.

Hair has stopped falling out though. Few bald patches, but mainly at the back where I can hide them. Regrowth has started, which is the weird layer of short hair growing back underneath... Man I hate this weird hair stage. I'm convinced it's why do many women end up with the same Mammy-Haircut. I will resist!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

pwurple wrote: »
    Penny, i think it's different for everyone. I'm nearly 7 months postpartum, but things are not back to normal for me yet. I had a pretty bad tear though. Lochia went on about 4ish weeks.

Hair has stopped falling out though. Few bald patches, but mainly at the back where I can hide them. Regrowth has started, which is the weird layer of short hair growing back underneath... Man I hate this weird hair stage. I'm convinced it's why do many women end up with the same Mammy-Haircut. I will resist!

It's funny how it's so different yet the same for each of us isn't it?
    I miss being close with my husband in that way but at the same time I'm. It quite ready in my head for anything major or hot and heavy to be taking place around the scene of the crime just yet! Given the Lochia it would be a bit eek anyway!
    Anyhow we 're a bit like ships that pass in the night for now. Hubby gets home from work and is delighted to see the baby and hang with her, he also does the 11pm feed and I'm gone to bed by then anyway. In the morning he gives her the 6:30/7am feed and then is gone to work. So we're hardly awake and functioning at the same time anyhow so by the time we get ourselves sorted out on that front maybe I'll be rearing to go!!!

pwurple wrote: »

I didn't have any major hairloss, but I do have loads of little short frizzy bits appearing around my hairline. Pain in the ass! Most mammies I know who had babies around the same time as me are complaining about the same thing. Can't wait til it's back to normal again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

dustie1 wrote: »
    My moan today is vaccinations! My LO's crying was so awful I was tearing up myself. She's home now and fine again.. but I'm still a bit worse for wear as the Nurse said she'll see us back in 8 weeks again. I know how important they are but cant help but dread it!

H had her vaccinations today too, we're both the worsen for wear after it! She's been very unsettled all day, lots of crying with a few minutes of happy chatting, but the sling is like a magic cloth and she's fallen fast asleep in it for her second long nap just now. Hopefully she'll be back to herself tomorrow :)

• Advertisement

My LO had her 6 month jabs today. 3 of them. I'm surprised she's is grand form because by the screams of her in the surgery I thought the whole of Dublin would be able to hear her! On a nice note.... She was screaming so loud I could see into her mouth and spotted a big tooth that must've come up in the last dew days :). She barely ever cries so unless I put my finger in her mouth I don't really ever since much in there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

8 months postpartum and feel like cr*p today. my section scar is stinging and itching, I'm sprouting spots and it feels like my SPD has come back (I suspect it's to do with stupid hormones :mad:). no sign of my period yet, wonder when that's kicking back in (not that I am looking forward to it).

on the upside, the hair loss has finally stopped. wohoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

My thyroid is acting up, my baby is feeding less and I'm eating the same all meaning I have now started to put back on weight :( So sick of being a lump, need to get my bum in gear or at this rate I'll have to take my maternity clothes out of the attic again!

12 weeks to Christmas, let's do this!

My thyroid is acting up, my baby is feeding less and I'm eating the same all meaning I have now started to put back on weight :( So sick of being a lump, need to get my bum in gear or at this rate I'll have to take my maternity clothes out of the attic again!

12 weeks to Christmas, let's do this!

Sorry to hear Galah it could easily be your period gearing up to start!

RemtDayBlues how do you know your thyroid is acting up? Suspecting mine may be too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Sorry to hear Galah it could easily be your period gearing up to start!

RemtDayBlues how do you know your thyroid is acting up? Suspecting mine may be too!

I've had hypothyroidism since before my babies and was doing really well. Then after my last baby my levels started to change so meds were reduced as they fear I was going over active but now it's gone to other extreme so trying to balance meds now. For me I feel exhausted (but having a new baby will do that) my memory is not existent, have a constant brain fog, could be mid sentence and will forget what I was going to say! And huge weight gain, a lot of weight in a very short period of time.

My doc is really good but it's such a pain trying to balance it all

Nine months later and my hair still isn't back to normal! :mad: I never really had a whole lot of hair loss, but it was really greasy and limp for months. Now I'm having the opposite problem - it's all frizzy and, well, very voluminous. Not in a good way, think Sideshow Bob voluminous! :eek: :o

Bloody fissure is back, bleeding everytime you have a bm is not fun and I'm due my period this week too😞

I'll have no blood left!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 biancab

Sligo1 wrote: »
    My hair is starting to fall out :(.

mine too, it's everywhere . And my baby is 15weeks old today

biancab wrote: »
    mine too, it's everywhere . And my baby is 15weeks old today

:(... Mine has eased off a good bit but it is still coming out and LO is 6.5 months! Got a great haircut tho which makes it appear a bit thicker (thank god!).

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭pastry2010

Hi everyone,

My little man is 4 weeks on Monday, my god I am knackered. Had a good cry yesterday and the day before and the day before that! I know myself I'm crying over stupid things and I will be fine but at that point you just feel so helpless.
    Baby is doing good feeding every 3-4 hours, but gets very fussy at night and cries a lot, he's on Aptimal, was breastfeeding at the start but he developed jaundice on his third day and we were kept in hospital for a week for treatment which was horrible, was having very painful contractions for 4 days after a sweep and after waters broke I was admitted but left 34 hours before being brought up to delivery suite where they helped me along, at 8cm started pushing, my temp went up, baby was distressed so it was failed suction, then forceps then episiotomy. I'm still bleeding (great!) stitches seem ok now, still no regular bowel movement and when I do I literally have to bite my arm it's so sore, taking laculose & senokot but not really helping.

It just seems the last 4 weeks have been a bit overwhelming and your body has to adjust so quickly because you have a little person to look after, also is anyone else not eating great, I find myself losing my appetite and forgetting to eat if I'm looking after baby. It really annoys me because I love my food!!

• Advertisement

pastry2010 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

My little man is 4 weeks on Monday, my god I am knackered. Had a good cry yesterday and the day before and the day before that! I know myself I'm crying over stupid things and I will be fine but at that point you just feel so helpless.
    Baby is doing good feeding every 3-4 hours, but gets very fussy at night and cries a lot, he's on Aptimal, was breastfeeding at the start but he developed jaundice on his third day and we were kept in hospital for a week for treatment which was horrible, was having very painful contractions for 4 days after a sweep and after waters broke I was admitted but left 34 hours before being brought up to delivery suite where they helped me along, at 8cm started pushing, my temp went up, baby was distressed so it was failed suction, then forceps then episiotomy. I'm still bleeding (great!) stitches seem ok now, still no regular bowel movement and when I do I literally have to bite my arm it's so sore, taking laculose & senokot but not really helping.

It just seems the last 4 weeks have been a bit overwhelming and your body has to adjust so quickly because you have a little person to look after, also is anyone else not eating great, I find myself losing my appetite and forgetting to eat if I'm looking after baby. It really annoys me because I love my food!!

I bled for over a month so hopefully the end is nearly in sight for you! Try taking Fibogel sachets, it's a huge life saver for a weary bum!

My appetite took about 2 months to come back properly and even my sense of taste was dulled!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭missjuly

pastry2010 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

My little one is 13 weeks now but the first 6-7 weeks were very over whelming in so many ways. I just wanted to say that I think most mums go through it and it definitely gets so much easier in so many ways. I really didn't think it would but hormones stabilise things get into a routine and you get used to being a mom and baby gets used to being out in the world! You also gain more confidence ib being a mum. It sounds like you had a pretty traumatic delivery and you prob need time to come to terms with everything and process it. Alsonof baby is fussing in evening could be maybe a small bit of colic you could try infacol drops or colief. I have heard very good things about colief!

Hey girls,

How is everyone finding their periods are if you're back in the swing of things?

I just started my third and they're still heavier than normal and I pass small clots every time, it's a pain to be honest but I'm hoping they may still even out in a few months?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

Hey girls,

How is everyone finding their periods are if you're back in the swing of things?

I just started my third and they're still heavier than normal and I pass small clots every time, it's a pain to be honest but I'm hoping they may still even out in a few months?

I got my first last Friday at 11.5 weeks post partum. Bit heavier than my previous light periods but I still don't have a single symptom other than bleeding. Hopefully it stays like this. I was dreading it and was expecting flooding etc.

Ocean Blue wrote: »
    I got my first last Friday at 11.5 weeks post partum. Bit heavier than my previous light periods but I still don't have a single symptom other than bleeding. Hopefully it stays like this. I was dreading it and was expecting flooding etc.

Fingers crossed it does for you, I was expecting something really horrific but I think expecting that kind of helped as I was mentally prepared for hell so when it actually happened it felt easier! I was always on the heavier side so wishful thinking I'd get light ones but it does take a while for things to even out I think so you never know!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

All my hair is falling out in clumps :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

I think my stomach muscles are acting up. One spot has been a bit sore recently. I've a co-sleeper cot that's level with our bed and they hurt more just now when I lifted him out for a night feed. :( I didn't have s section so I'm a bit surprised. Need to by able to lift my baby!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

How long did you ladies bleed post birth? 3 wks tomo and still bleeding. Not that heavy, pass couple small clots half the time, but getting tired of it. I hate pads. Always a tampon girl but we are advised against...I had a section. Don't know if that makes any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

73trix wrote: »
    How long did you ladies bleed post birth? 3 wks tomo and still bleeding. Not that heavy, pass couple small clots half the time, but getting tired of it. I hate pads. Always a tampon girl but we are advised against...I had a section. Don't know if that makes any difference.

Mine started to taper off in the 5th week and was gone by the end of the 6th wk. I hadn't used pads since my teens, I really hated using them for this. They are so annoying and uncomfortable. I would guess that even with a section you'd want to not use tampons as I thought the risk was infection in your womb rather than in any tears due to vag birth.

• Advertisement

Mine started to taper off in the 5th week and was gone by the end of the 6th wk. I hadn't used pads since my teens, I really hated using them for this. They are so annoying and uncomfortable. I would guess that even with a section you'd want to not use tampons as I thought the risk was infection in your womb rather than in any tears due to vag birth.

I bled for just over a month and had a grace period of a week or so and then my period arrived! Felt like lochia would never end but it just takes longer for some girls!

Advertisement