Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Screenwriting book recommendation

• 09-09-2014 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

Can any recommend a good book on screenwriting? I've heard a lot about "The Hero's Journey" and that's it's supposed to be quite good. Anyone have any idea what it's like or have any opinions on other books?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

I wouldn't spend money on a book. (Though I did when I started learning how to write. )

You can get all the info you need online. That and reading lots of scripts. Once you learn the basic structure and analyse how it applies to the genre you want to write your well on your way.

The books are mostly a waste of time and money, IMO.

First read all the screenwriting articles on - http://www.screenwritingtricks.com

Then you can check out Donedealpro forums for screenwriting and also the absolutewrite forums for screen writing.

Lots of free sample scripts at http://www.screenplaydb.com/film/all/

Lots of other good online resources that you will find but these should get you started.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Smithy2306

The Heros Journey is a complicated book but worth a read. The Writers Journey by Vogler is a summation of the Heros Journey with a more modern take on it. In terms of screen writing books, the best one I have read is Writing Screenplays That Sell by Michael Hague. Books are great but the most important thing about screenwriting is actually writing, not reading. So just keep writing, even if it's bad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

If you write a good screenplay what's the process of trying to sell it if you were literally a random person who'd never written one before? Do you need to be part of a writers guild or whatever? And is it harder being in Ireland and trying to get the ball rolling in this kind of career?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

If you write a good screenplay what's the process of trying to sell it if you were literally a random person who'd never written one before? Do you need to be part of a writers guild or whatever? And is it harder being in Ireland and trying to get the ball rolling in this kind of career?

You don't need to be part of a guild.

Really when you've written one the best route is either get in touch with production companies or try to get an agent and have them sell it for you.

Loglines, one page synopsis etc. are all something you'd need when approaching production companies to sell them on the idea and entice them to read the screenplay.

Advertisement