Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[MOTU] Your own inexplicable experiences

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

I get this quite a lot too. Always through dreams, usually a couple of weeks in advance.
    Sometimes if it's a bad thing happening, I'll have it as recurring dreams, weeks, or months in advance. I can never make out faces, I just know the people are there and a vague sense of my relationship with them.
    One particular instance, the most recurring one, was when I was around 10, and this one dream happened multiple times, always woke me. I was somewhere sandy, on a seesaw, with someone on the other side that I knew and was delighted to be there with, and someone suddenly appeared behind him, I got a sudden jolt and woke up.
    About 7/8 months after this started, I was at a beach with my family during the summer, and met one of my best friends from school. We went into the playground beside the beach, and we went on the seesaw. His sister came up behind him, grabbed his end of the seesaw, and lifted it fast. I got shot down, and I hit my face off the iron handle on the seesaw, busting my nose and spraying blood, and I realised straight away that it was the exact same as the dream!
    I guess we have a sort of subconscious clairvoyance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 AshleyRose330

auntyweeze wrote: »
    im not sure if this would be an experience or a dream.
    i am nearly positive i was awake when this happened the other night.
    i was in bed it was very early in the morining maybe 2 or 3am and i woke up and couldnt move i was trying to get my phone from my bedside locker to see the time but couldnt move at all not even my arms only my eyes it felt like something was sitting on my chest i looked up and all i could see was black shadows so in my mind i started to tell this black thing to go away and leave me alone but it honeslty felt like something was pinning me down after what felt like ages but was probably only a minute or two the weight lifted off my chest and i started coughing. it was like i was after holding my breath for ages. this has happened me once or twice before but years ago but it kinda freaked me out but i put it down to a dream but i could have sworn i was awake

This sounds to me like "Lucid Dreaming" especially the heaviness on the chest feeling:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Aideenr1

Went to bed early because i was wrecked, fell asleep nearly straightaway but woke at around 2am and couldn't get back to sleep no matter how i tried. Was sitting on my bed at 8 in the morning wondering how the heck i was going to function at work when my Dad rang. Turns out my Grandmother had passed away that night.......at around 2am. Wasn't awfully close to her and it's probably just coincidence but weird all the same :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Had similar experience to that. Left on my phone and sat up in the middle of the night. Then the phone rang to tell me a relative had taken very ill, id already dreamt it and told them the next stage of what would happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Great thread!

I've had some weird experiences, actually a few. The interesting part of it is that alot of things happen when my glasses are off (as was pointed out to me-I hadnt seen the connection (pardon the pun :-)). Anyways, I still see the things clearly (without my glasses)....my minds eye? I dunno...

Anyways,

- Once just woke up and just started crying (at about 14 years old) to a very sad feeling. Few mins later phone rang to say my Aunts husband had passed away. That one puzzled me cause I wasnt close to my Aunt or her husband.

- The biggest, overwhelming feeling Ive had was about my granny (lots of lovely granny stories here :-)). She died on a Tuesday in 1997. I was very very close to her. And I spent as much time with her as I could. But Id started uni that September and was working part-time too, and hadnt seen as much of her as I'd liked. Anyways, on a Monday eve (night before she died), I was sitting at the kitchen table doing Uni work, and got an unreal, almost compulsion, feeling to go and see her.

So, I dropped everything. And drove up to see her. l couldnt understand at the time....She was talking away to me. But I was so distracted/almost detached. I was just staring at something stupid on the TV (I know now it was some kind of avoidance on my part). Anyways, I said Id to go. And I hugged her (Im not a hugger by nature) and thought "this is the last time Ill speak to her".

I drove out the driveway and saw her standing at the door to see me off and thought "the last time Ill see my granny alive is in the rear view mirror of my car". I didnt know where all this was coming from. But I felt I shouldnt say anything. It was her time to go. Phone rang next evening. My mam answered. And before she'd a chance to say anything, I just said "Granny's died and she's ok". My mam said "no, she's ok, they are getting an ambulance and she'll be ok". My reaction was "yeah whatever" I went to wash my hair :-) to get "ready". The next call was to say she was dead, and I was in the middle of washing my hair. Miss that woman like crazy. Anyways, I got a little stick from relatives after for not saying anything...Id been the last to see her/spend time with her (she just dropped dead while walking off a bus into the old folks home for a party :-)), and all I could say was "it was her time" and I was not to interfer. The following evening, my dad said the kindest thing to me ever (a man of few words) as I was more upset about people being upset at me than my granny dying (i.e., I knew she was fine/happy). And my dad said "you were a tonic. You visiting her helped her".

The next night, we were all up after the pub. About 10 people smoking in the kitchen. And I was sitting there. Smoking myself. And I get this over whelming smell of flowers. Pure flowers. As fresh as anything. Very fleeting. And I asked did anyone smell it. Noone else did.

There have been more strange "feelings" and seeing things. I once kept seeing an image in my head. For weeks. I thought it was something Id seen on TV, as I couldnt rationalise why I kept seeing this thing. Anyways, one day I was with a particular person and the feeling got strong to say something to them. So, I said "listen, you might think am mad, but would you know why the image of "this particular thing" keeps coming into my head". The person went pale as a ghost. And told me I was after stumbling on a massive unknown secret. They then confided in me (as they felt they'd noone to talk to). And I helped them sort the problem.

Gosh-there is lots more. Just a few weeks ago, I was at home. Doing nothing in particular. I have a swiss ball. The ball, of its own accord just started rolling across the floor (not so unusual I hear you say), but it then stopped and bounced. Then rolled back to where it came from :D.

Oh I havent even started on the stuff without my glasses.....

The thing is, I still dunno if I believe in paranormal. Or accept it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭DangerMouse27

I guess we have a sort of subconscious clairvoyance.

I think I get this too!
    I dream these things.

I had convinced myself it was deja vu and I would be feeling the scenario as it happened, I talked myself out of spooky coincidence.

I did think for years it was deja vu until it happened to me twice in a week. The second time, I was a bit more clued in and I re-acted faster, predicted what happened next, down to the people who were around and where they stood! It had helped as the dream I had, only happened a day previous to that.

The scenarios were all just random, normal events. Maybe I would be in town, walking by someone. See someone doing something or I walk into a room.

Saying that, it hasnt happened since.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

Had a few un-explained over the years.

Weirdest one i guess was when i was in my living room and one of my slippers started to rock.

I looked at it for say 5 seconds before it sunk in then i walked over to-wards it.

I stood and watched it rocking for maybe another 15 seconds as it slowly stopped again.

Sober and correct at the time. Times these things just can't be explained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

getzls wrote: »
    Had a few un-explained over the years.

Weirdest one i guess was when i was in my living room and one of my slippers started to rock.

I looked at it for say 5 seconds before it sunk in then i walked over to-wards it.

I stood and watched it rocking for maybe another 15 seconds as it slowly stopped again.

Sober and correct at the time. Times these things just can't be explained.

What was it doing? Knocking out riffs from the best of Motorhead?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

I am pie wrote: »
    What was it doing? Knocking out riffs from the best of Motorhead?

You need to change your name to, I am Twat.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Folks, keep the conversation on topic & civil please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 conor_db

I reckon I had that sleep paralysis once aswel. Felt like i was fully awake and knew what was going but couldn't move a muscle inside in the bed. Worst thing was i thought i saw something in the corner of the room and couldn't do anything bar scream!

conor_db wrote: »
    I reckon I had that sleep paralysis once aswel. Felt like i was fully awake and knew what was going but couldn't move a muscle inside in the bed. Worst thing was i thought i saw something in the corner of the room and couldn't do anything bar scream!

Sounds exactly like it, you are awake, but part of your brain isn't...hence the weird mix between the waking world & the dream world. Terrifying by all accounts too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭FollatonWood

I've had a few. But most recent was this dream I had last week. I got talking to a guy online a few months ago who lives in the US, and we haven't talked in a few weeks but I had a dream about him the other night. In the dream, I was watching TV and saw him on a music video, and I recall saying 'I know him!'. I saw him on chat over the weekend and messaged to tell him about it, and he goes 'wooah, I just recorded a music video last week'. Was a bit odd, especially since he'd never spoken to me about doing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

Myrddin wrote: »
    Sounds exactly like it, you are awake, but part of your brain isn't...hence the weird mix between the waking world & the dream world. Terrifying by all accounts too.
    Mod,you seem to know tour stuff,i had a very weird experience few years ago.
    I felt a presence waft into the room,a very strong,overpowering presence.

I felt like it was a women but then it was penetratring, I was being anally abused,(I'm str8 btw),the feeling was soo real ,it was frightening but it was quite clear that this presence had a huge amount of power over me.
    Would sleep paralysis create something so vivid in your opinion?

several years earlier in the same room my 2 brothers witnessed a well defined shadow of a tall women enter the room and disappearing out the window,they both saw it and stil remember it.

One other weird thing,about 8 years ago in Kilkenny myself and my wife(she a real sceptic) witnessed a silver sphere about 60 yards away about 70 feet in the air,i pulled car over and the sphere went diagonally up to the left and then simply disappeared,approx 6pm on a June night,clear as day.it was nuts and we still talk about it to this day.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭leddpipe

Ive had this happen on occasion! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploding_head_syndrome pretty unsetttling. As well as sleep paralysis! That only happens for me though as Im falling asleep as opposed to waking up while asleep, if ya get me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

Someone earlier mentioned Uri Geller and the spoon bending.

Years ago I was out driving with my dad (I must have been about 9 or 10 or maybe younger). Anyway ould Uri comes on Gerry Ryan and starts going on about spoons and watches, saying if anyone had an old watch which had stopped he could fix it. Dad had an old one in the glove box, low and behold, Uri does his magic and I swear the watch began to tick again.

I'm normally very skeptical when it comes to things like that- I'd love a spooky story but I'd have little interest in magicians and mentalists- but it definitely worked.

It's very like the one Dad wears now actually, must ask him if it's the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Uri also said (admittedly a long time ago) he received his mental powers from aliens. Honestly, he did.
    He was also caught by the nutsack on noel's house party years ago. here, have a look..

and a better one here

Mod,you seem to know tour stuff,i had a very weird experience few years ago.
    I felt a presence waft into the room,a very strong,overpowering presence.

I felt like it was a women but then it was penetratring, I was being anally abused,(I'm str8 btw),the feeling was soo real ,it was frightening but it was quite clear that this presence had a huge amount of power over me.
    Would sleep paralysis create something so vivid in your opinion?

I only know a little about sleep paralysis as my girlfriend gets it on occasion. And what I do know, is just from reading up about it online. I don't believe there's a paranormal aspect to it, but then again, I can't speak for your own situation.

A strong overpowering presence in the room is something that sounds like an episode of sleep paralysis. There's different examples of how it manifests in different people, from a presence, visual hallucinations, can't breathe, loud noise in ears etc etc. I've never heard of an example like yours, I suppose it's possible, but again, I'm far from an expert on the subject :o
    Uri also said (admittedly a long time ago) he received his mental powers from aliens. Honestly, he did.
    He was also caught by the nutsack on noel's house party years ago. here, have a look..

I've no time at all for Gellar, total fake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

This sounds to me like "Lucid Dreaming" especially the heaviness on the chest feeling:eek:

Sleep paralysis, lucid dreaming is something else. This is a fairly standard set of sleep paralysis symptons. Unpleasant, but not supernatural.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Captain Red

Here's one, a few years ago I was cycling with my sister on the road outside our house in central Ireland(countryside) a mile up the road just beside our grandparents house I was waiting a the top of the hill for my sister I looked ahead and seen this all-black human shape walking towards us about 35-40 foot away I looked back at my sister and she had stopped, also looking at it as I looked back I sort of felt slow motion as it disappeared to the right through a hedge in a blur and a neighbours donkeys started braying like mad for several minutes while we just stared at each other then went straight home and told our parents who suggested it may have been someone on a horse the following week we went out and again seen it and then disappeared to the right when I shouted hello from afar afterwards we guessed from a sign at the location it was about 7 foot tall there is a woods nearby (to the right of the road about 3-4 miles away) haven't seen it since at first I thought maybe some sort of bigfoot however not too sure now maybe some sort of spirit

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Where abouts in Meath was this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Here's one, a few years ago I was cycling with my sister on the road outside our house in central Ireland(countryside) a mile up the road just beside our grandparents house I was waiting a the top of the hill for my sister I looked ahead and seen this all-black human shape walking towards us about 35-40 foot away I looked back at my sister and she had stopped, also looking at it as I looked back I sort of felt slow motion as it disappeared to the right through a hedge in a blur and a neighbours donkeys started braying like mad for several minutes while we just stared at each other then went straight home and told our parents who suggested it may have been someone on a horse the following week we went out and again seen it and then disappeared to the right when I shouted hello from afar afterwards we guessed from a sign at the location it was about 7 foot tall there is a woods nearby (to the right of the road about 3-4 miles away) haven't seen it since at first I thought maybe some sort of bigfoot however not too sure now maybe some sort of spirit

Sounds like a shadow person maybe.

was near Oldcastle if you now where that it's near Virginia, a shadow person? Better look that up

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

was near Oldcastle if you now where that it's near Virginia, a shadow person? Better look that up

I know Oldcastle well. Ya wouldn't be a million miles from Lough Crew and all those ancient tombs.

Yeah true now that you mention it good point very interesting

Advertisement