Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Dark Knight Rises - Pre-release Discussion [** NO SPOILERS PLEASE **]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

16 days away now. Can't wait for it.

Calm down Doctor

• Registered Users Posts: 39,018 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

TDKR 70mm film will apparently weigh about 600lb, whatever that is in real measurements, 200-300kg?
    600 lbs = 270kg or so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭kdevitt

For anyone in Sydney - Hayden Orpheum in Cremorne have a midnight showing on the 19the July, proceeded by The Dark Knight at 9pm (for five bucks)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

^ But no BB?? Such disrespect. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

how come all the hoopla from Warner about not having Europe see it before the US when Australia is getting it nearly 2 days before?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I think it might be due to the film having a different distributor in Australia.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Border-Rat

Will this one be as boring as the last exposition-riddled outing?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Border-Rat wrote: »

Yes. 2 hours and 46 minutes of hardcore exposition, baby!!

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

You probably should wait for the DVD if that's your attitude. You won't be as disappointed then and you mightn't be be seen as a clown for attempting to troll on a cinema pre-release discussion thread.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭ADarkKnight88

Im sure you'll enjoy the new twilight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭splashthecash

2 hours and 46 minutes....!!

tumblr_lx92anLcHc1r6e5zno1_400.gif

Yes. 2 hours and 46 minutes of hardcore exposition, baby!!

sure isnt that what Inception was :pac:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,132 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

krudler wrote: »
    sure isnt that what Inception was :pac:

Exposition within exposition?!?!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Well TDK was 152 minutes, and I could have easily sat through another 152 minutes of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭TotallyEpic

Batman Begins/Dark Knight double bill in Cineworld on Tuesday 17th.

Just booked my ticket there for €6.48 for both, could hardly not go at that price, even if it is by myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

2 hours and 46 minutes....!!

tumblr_lx92anLcHc1r6e5zno1_400.gif

I disagree.

I was hoping for longer. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

€6.48 for both. That's going to be hard to turn down. Is it on the big screen too???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

syklops wrote: »
    I disagree.

I was hoping for longer. :(
    any longer and theres a danger wb woulds split it!

Dont know how strong nolans veto (?) would be

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I'd say Nolan was contractually obliged to deliver a film under 164 minutes. Which is 12 minutes longer than TDK, which in turn was 12 minutes longer than Begins. Warners probably granted him an extra 12 minutes each time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

TDK, which in turn was 12 minutes longer than Begins.
    Unbelievable. Feels like twice the length. But in a good way.

IB: (thats wha she..............)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Longer run time does not a better movie make. There's really no need for a Batman film to be approaching three hours, it's just sloppy and indulgent. TDK's run time is one of the issues - also some of the editing is really poor - that I'm less tolerant with each viewing.

Longer run time does not a better movie make. There's really no need for a Batman film to be approaching three hours, it's just sloppy and indulgent. TDK's run time is one of the issues - also some of the editing is really poor - that I'm less tolerant with each viewing.

Depends on if the story deserves it, a lot of blockbusters these days are way too short, just fly through the run time and don't develop anything except some scenes linking the next cgi action sequence. But then there's Michael Bay syndrome where longer is definitely not better, all of the Transformers movies could have been 90 mins long, told the exact same story and discarded all the unnecessary characters and plotlines. You need the balance, will see how it pans out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

I think I'll watch Begins tonight, and Dark Knight tomorrow night. Yet again. Must be up to 20 times each now.

In a franchise where content and character development is key, and where story takes precedence over action, I don't see the problem with it reaching 3 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

In a franchise where content and character development is key, and where story takes precedence over action, I don't see the problem with it reaching 3 hours.

It's the cinematic equivalent of a duble album. I've no problem with bios etc. , but a comic book character such as Batman has no business being near the three hour mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

It's the cinematic equivalent of a duble album. I've no problem with bios etc. , but a comic book character such as Batman has no business being near the three hour mark.

Why does the fact that he is a comic book character restrict how long a movie about him should be?

So long as the story is engaging throughout, what difference does it make?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,132 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Depends on if the story deserves it, a lot of blockbusters these days are way too short, just fly through the run time and don't develop anything except some scenes linking the next cgi action sequence. But then there's Michael Bay syndrome where longer is definitely not better, all of the Transformers movies could have been 90 mins long, told the exact same story and discarded all the unnecessary characters and plotlines. You need the balance, will see how it pans out.

So what you're saying is the story should have the length it deserves but not the one it needs?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Depends on if the story deserves it, a lot of blockbusters these days are way too short.

That's true, but TDK story should have been more coherent for a film as long as it was.

Well, the film has a lot to go through:

• Bruce's mental decline.
    • Establishing Catwoman and Bane.
    • Establishing new characters such as Blake and Tate.
    • Doing justice to current support characters such as Alfred, Fox and Gordon.
    • Batman's apparent defeat at the hands of Bane and his imprisonment.
    • The state of Gotham in Batman's absence.
    • His return and establishing his (I'm guessing) alliance with Catwoman.
    • The final battle for Gotham.

It's a lot of content to get through, and it has to be done right...and if it is done right, those 3 hours should fly by.

• Advertisement

It's worth keeping in mind also that the credits account for about 8-12 minutes of runtime. So it's really only about 2 and half hours long.

Advertisement