Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some personal thoughts about Dexter.

• 19-01-2010 7:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭

First off, I do love the show, but there are some bits that annoy me.

Deb is the most annoying character i've ever seen on Telly and is also the must physically unattractive - she looks like a 16 year old boy. All swearing, fine it's a character trait...but very off putting.

The opening is very well done, but makes me physically sick...the sound of someone eating...agh...

It can be predictable at times...it's almost as if they won't let the same thing happen twice because that will annoy the viewer...it won't!

I just wanted to write those things down in case anyone else feels the same way.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭TheBandit

i rather like deb as a character, i find her less annoying than the average female character....shes smokin too

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Rich1691

Tbh, I think the opening makes me hungry sometimes :D. As for Deb, well I think Michael C Hall could have done A LOT better, besides her looks she doesnt seem to have much of a personality when it comes to any press conferences for the show either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Personally I think the opening is one of the best intro's i've ever seen. It tells you everything about the show, along with giving you a personal look at the skewed perspective of the main character, and at the routine of the character himself.

When they did the intro in season 4 where he was doing things wrong, it was all the more meaningful. Dexter is a man of routine. Every episode you see his routine and process in work. You see something considered normal by most looking warped and violent.

It's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Flashgordon197

Agree with you on Deb. Just at the end of season 5 and I miss Rita.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

I find Deb pretty annoying. Its like she's going to burst out crying no matter what she says. I get she's suppose to be an angry character too but some of the over use of cursing is a bit cringey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Deb is the most annoying character i've ever seen on Telly and is also the must physically unattractive - she looks like a 16 year old boy.

You need to watch more TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Japandamo

What REALLY used to annoy me about the intro was the fact that we see him shaving, but when he walks out the door he's got at least two day's growth. I've managed to put it behind me now, six seasons in, but it still irks me occasionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

I took a break from Dexter a few years ago, after having watched the first three seasons. I recently watched season four, and it dawned on me why I had taken said break. DEBORAH. I can't stand her! She's moans incessantly, and cries in (what feels like) every episode. I'm just half way through the first episode of season five and she's crying again. She really ruins the show for me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

I couldnt stand Rita.
    Is it me or is Quinn getting more and more orange as the series go on????

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭Raoul

Japandamo wrote: »
    What REALLY used to annoy me about the intro was the fact that we see him shaving, but when he walks out the door he's got at least two day's growth. I've managed to put it behind me now, six seasons in, but it still irks me occasionally.

Yep, this annoys me so much!!! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

Just finished watching Season 2 on Netflix. Really like the show though as the OP says there a few quibbles.
    There seems to be too many convenient coincidences -- especially how Dexter's moral dilemma is solved at the end of season 2.
    And while I like Deb's character what drives me up the wall is the constant references to her being "hot". She's not hot at all. Cute? Yes. Hot? No. Rita is hotter and Lila was off the scale ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Xevkin

Deborah has always been one of my favorite characters in the show. Felt she was a great foil to Dexter, but unhappy how things played out in S6 - felt very constructed and false, not a believable direction for the character at all. Not pushed one way another about her physically but would defo put her in the "smokin'" category above others! The effect she's had on my vocabulary has been . . . .worrying, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭b318isp

I think the show would be a lot worse without Debs. One of the reasons why Dexter is so good is the very strong supporting characters and their stories. Debs character is as f**ked up as Dexter, and I like the way the script is written to have her so spontaneous, in contrast to Dexter.

I found Rita a bit insipid. I'm currently watching the start of season 5, and I'm not impressed with Michael Hall's acting in terms of dealing with her murder.

b318isp wrote: »
    I think the show would be a lot worse without Debs. One of the reasons why Dexter is so good is the very strong supporting characters and their stories. Debs character is as f**ked up as Dexter, and I like the way the script is written to have her so spontaneous, in contrast to Dexter.

I found Rita a bit insipid. I'm currently watching the start of season 5, and I'm not impressed with Michael Hall's acting in terms of dealing with her murder.
    Insipid!!
    That Is the word I've been thinking of fair ages to describe Rita. It's a perfect word for her.
    I mean her husband raped her, beat her up , was in prison. And when Dexter helped her out with him she was more concerned about giving him a decent funeral.
    I just thought she had no guts. Insipid is definitely a word for her :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭winston82

Only started watching this recently and am already on season 3. Have to say I am hooked on it now. I thought I'd been ruined by sopranos/wire in that I could never really get involved in another tv show but somehow this as got me nicely addicted.

Deb doesn't bother me too much. Agree she isn't smoking hot but still cute nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Just started watching Dexter about 3/4weeks ago and on season 6 already!

As poster above, I never thought I'd find something as gripping as the sopranos but from the very first episode of Dexter I was addicted!

Season 4 finale (actually the last two episodes, the build up was unreal) was THE best thing I've ever seen!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Snoopy1 wrote: »
    Insipid!!
    That Is the word I've been thinking of fair ages to describe Rita. It's a perfect word for her.
    I mean her husband raped her, beat her up , was in prison. And when Dexter helped her out with him she was more concerned about giving him a decent funeral.
    I just thought she had no guts. Insipid is definitely a word for her :)
    She was a weak and spineless person and even though she was portrayed as much stronger and almost fiesty as time went on (standing up to Paul:rolleyes:) she was so freakin whingey...every phonecall was "Dexter, where are you? I need you to pick up the kids/fix my car/get me tampons" OK I made up that last one but she was sooo needy:mad:

Agree about Dexters sister, what a moaning, man shaped period leaflet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,765 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Ok, just watched all seasons in the last 2 weeks, and here's my bit:

First off, what a fantastic show. Yes, it's sometimes a little unbelievable but what isn't nowadays.

Deb is different, her vocabulary is damn funny at times. I agree she whines a bit too much, but i suppose keeping a macho, tom-boy attitude the whole time is bound to have repercussions.

Rita was portrayed very well, and i think she got the abused wife down perfectly. Seeing anyone that went through an abusive relationship, you would agree that things don't seem right, like when Rita was only concerned about a proper funeral for Paul, that's what bullys in relationships cause to their victims. Great writing. And the end of Season 4, i was [] close to tears.

As for Dexter's reactions to her death/other heart-tugging events, i think he is written brilliantly. He has been brought up to not feel, so it's completely understandable when he doesn't show emotion, except for the odd time when he's killing, which is getting more frequent! - again, fantastic writing imo. He even said during Pauls funeral that he doesn't understand the emotion, so understandably he can't portray it. He is getting more and more emotional as the seasons go on though.

I loved Season 4 and 6, and the cliffhanger!!! Grrr!!!!!!

Can't wait for more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I like the show, Dexter... Is kinda cool you gotta admit how calculated and has this interesting presence, He's kinda like a cave man in some respects ... while deb may give the effect of being a pain in the ass she's easily frustrated reacts with out a seconds thought all that kinda of behavior is hard to act so the actor does deserves huge credibility.

How ever Rita i kinda like her, Any woman is going to be on the needy side to a degree over the crap she's gotten but. I think season 3 she was good hilarious in the episode were she freaks out at dexter and the two kids :D

The Cuban chick is cold ruthless and kinda cool but also has as sexy side :D...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

I started watching Decter a few weeks ago on UPC on demand.
    They have the first two series in it.

I was hooked.

Got the other series for my birthday two weeks ago & have finished all 6 series now.

All the characters in the show have serious flaws but that's what makes it so gripping.

Dexter - cant feel emotion

Deb - has had one of the most ****ed up romantic lives I've ever seen & now when's essentially having incestuous thoughts.

Angel - too nice & won't stand up for himself.

Quinn - hitting the bottle, losing weight, hung up on Deb.

Massouka - so funny. Really like him.

La Guerta - conniving & manipulating bitch

Anderson - really like him so far but don't know his character.

Some things bug me. Dexter has a good job but how much money does he earn? He has a boat, two apartments & spends cash like no tomorrow.

Why the lung gaps between series?
    We didn't see Harrison being born or the La Guerta/Angel divorce or where Sonia, the Irish nanny went.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

First off, I do love the show, but there are some bits that annoy me.

Deb is the most annoying character i've ever seen on Telly and is also the must physically unattractive - she looks like a 16 year old boy. All swearing, fine it's a character trait...but very off putting.

The opening is very well done, but makes me physically sick...the sound of someone eating...agh...

It can be predictable at times...it's almost as if they won't let the same thing happen twice because that will annoy the viewer...it won't!

I just wanted to write those things down in case anyone else feels the same way.

This is a TV show where a man kills and cuts up bad guys, but the sound of him eating makes you sick? Ok.
    Some things bug me. Dexter has a good job but how much money does he earn? He has a boat, two apartments & spends cash like no tomorrow.

One would imagine he nicks a bit of cash here and there from his victims. A forensic analyst only gets about 50k USD a year. Not terrific admittedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,561 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

The boat was his dads iirc so not like he bought that.

He also seems to only have around 3 shirts. I'd say most of his money gets spent on plastic wrap.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭Raoul

Frisbee wrote: »
    The boat was his dads iirc so not like he bought that.

He also seems to only have around 3 shirts. I'd say most of his money gets spent on plastic wrap.
    He does have a nanny too that I am sure gets paid a hell of a lot of over time.

I imagine that his job would be quite well paid.

Seems silly talking about this.

I cant remember, but why does he not live with his son Harrison?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I cant remember, but why does he not live with his son Harrison?

When Issak found out where he lived, Dexter sent Harrison to his grandparents were Astor and Cody are.

gnfnrhead wrote: »

When Issak found out where he lived, Dexter sent Harrison to his grandparents were Astor and Cody are.
    No I meant why does he live in a separate part of the apartment. Dexter has one apartment and his son seems to live next door

No I meant why does he live in a separate part of the apartment. Dexter has one apartment and his son seems to live next door

I think it's just his own room. They look like fairly big apartments. Dexter's room is to the left when you walk in, Harrison's is straight ahead. Not odd for it to be a two bedroomed apartment.

If it were only a single bedroom surely he would have kept the house instead? More places to hide stuff too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    I think it's just his own room. They look like fairly big apartments. Dexter's room is to the left when you walk in, Harrison's is straight ahead. Not odd for it to be a two bedroomed apartment.

If it were only a single bedroom surely he would have kept the house instead? More places to hide stuff too.

Nope, he bought the apartment next door and knocked through in some way. It was basicly just so he could have an extra room without having to move; can't remember exactly when it happened, but it was all explained in a voiceover

• Advertisement

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    Nope, he bought the apartment next door and knocked through in some way. It was basicly just so he could have an extra room without having to move; can't remember exactly when it happened, but it was all explained in a voiceover

Now that you say it, I remember that happening. If it was knocked through, doesnt that just make it the one apartment then?

Advertisement