Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where can I purchase Nokian Studded Tyres in Ireland or UK?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭gibbon75

I used to drive on studded tyres in Colorado,and you can get used to the noise,which isn't that bad:similar when you have several small rocks stuck into the tyre tread :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

lmao, studded tyres in Ireland.

Think I'll put a set of spikey tyres on the bike :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

WHATS THE IRISH FASCINATION WITH STUDDED TYRES

THEY TEAR THE ROAD TO PIECES!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 fortuna4022

GREENWORLD wrote: »
    I lived in Finland for a year. I was amazed at how the Fins got around so easily on the ice with their studded tyres.
    I think the emergency services here should have those tyres fitted - who knows we may have this weather more often now as the climate is changing.

Interesting, I was watching Dubln firebrigade attend a house fire on Dargle road Drumcondra, the road is highly cambered and looked more like an ice rink; two fire trucks were out and there were 2 suppot vehicles - the one fire truck had ventured up the road to the house (the road was parked out on both sides so the fire trucks were at risk of destroying parked cars); the other fire truck had stopped at the bottom of the road which was clear of parked cars; it had been abandoned by its crew who walked the 150 yards to the fire (I think it was just a chimney smoke out, no flames seen) - the back of the abandoned fire truck slid sideways about 2 feet on the ice, the front stayed put in the centre of the road. No question there about need for studded tyres ! Are those old 70s trucks the right vehicles if the country ices over ?- I doubt, I think 4X4 trucks (Unimog ?) with studded tyres would be more to the point.To get to people who are snowed / iced in - the normal trucks aren't able.

v300 wrote: »
    Buy them on-line, but I suspect the cold snap will be history before they arrive.

Camskill is the best site if you can master the navigation of it.
    Incidently don't bother with CAMSKILL for studded tyres, they don't have them & shiver when the enquiry is made as they are a UK dealer who are scared of getting into trouble for selling tyres which are not legal in the UK.
    (this is probably just someone punting for business).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭gibbon75

T-Square wrote: »
    THEY TEAR THE ROAD TO PIECES!

The roads are already in pieces...

I reckon so few would bother with studded tyres that it probably would not make the roads any worse; it seems that they're now sending in the members of the army (300 of them ?) to battle the icy conditions, must post some photos of the roads around my estate, I zig zag around the potholes to get to the estate, the Co co. recently put dollops of tarmac into the potholes so we now have 'potbumbs' which will last a few months.
    The frequent Buseireann commuter service might restore the potholes in due course.
    I've never actually seen full road resurface work, only patch filling which does not get evenly compacted so our roads are patchy and bumpy. If there was sequential resurfacing for road maintenance, the argument against studded tyres would be valid but then our roads would be excellent and the Co co possibly insolvent .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Be Do Have

If another person tells me to buy winter tyres....grrr. You try driving down an icey hill with "winter" tyres and then tell me how you get on!
    I refer users to my original question. If they don't know the answer, please dont tell me what you think I should and shouldn't do.

And another thing, I have never witnessed such a public outcry of concern for our roads that may or may not get damaged by a few weeks driving on studded tyres. The ice itself has torn our roads to bits in recent days, all without a studded tyre in sight.

Thankyou to all posters who passed on there knowledge, personal experience and tyre purchasing locations, cheers!

Happy Driving.

Yip, this was my experience with winter tyres, 10% better than completely useless on ice - useless ! I nearly lost my life over black ice on the autobahn near Leipzig 8 years back - despite being on winter tyres -
    if you have to deal with ice you need studded tyres -
    have a look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MqWn58BY4k
    There is much info thereabouts too; a shop in Scotland who might help:
    Nordic Tyres (UK) Ltd tel : +441576 203020
    I'm pleading with a Ukrainian shop for set Nokian Hakkapeliita 7
    (The local dealer in Cavan does'nt know anything about them and is only interested in selling teleporter / tractor tyres).
    To those who have care for the roads - I'd say that it would be prudent to put personal safety first; I checked this point with the Gardi their advice was similar but don't get caught on studded tyres in the summer, there's no excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Fortuna, what are you saying? Why are you looking for a set of winter tyres if they are completely useless by your own experience? How much is shipping set to be for a set from Ukraine and will the Scottish shop ship any at all? Do the Nokians have studs on them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

cormie wrote: »
    Fortuna, what are you saying? Why are you looking for a set of winter tyres if they are completely useless by your own experience? How much is shipping set to be for a set from Ukraine and will the Scottish shop ship any at all? Do the Nokians have studs on them?

He is saying that Winters are useless on Ice. Studded tyres are not.
    Hakkapellita 7 are a studded tyre not a winter tyre.
    Allseason->Winter->Winter Studded.
    Nothing grips ice as well as a carbide stud;)
    But seriously up to this year I wouldn't have bothered with winter tyres on the car, after this winter I may have to think of a new strategy.
    BTW my Toyota LC with BFG All-terrains has been excellent in the Ice and snow, where other LC's slid mine gripped. Not perfect but a damn sight better than the road based 4x4 tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Ok, the ones I was looking at were Michelin X-ICE which are stated to be almost as good as studded tyres, but without the studs. I wonder how true that is...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

My opinion, and it is even based on experience, winter tyre is not bad in ice, compared to summer tyre it is way way better.

Usually those winter tyres are soft and they have a specific shape that grips the ice, downside is that they wear fast, specially in summer conditions.

One test in Finnish magazine states that best winter tyre has same braking distance in the ice than worst studded tyre.

In Finland 80% of the drivers use studded tyres and 20% winter ones.

But is is really important to notice that Nordic winter tyre is not the same than they use in Germany etc south europe. Nordic winter tyres is much more softer and planned to lover speeds.

So there you go lads, experience based information instead of that noncence that about half of you write:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Don't forget that in Finland, most of the country roads are not paved, they are compacted gravel/sand so studded tyres wont damage it.

Studded tyres would rip tarmac to pieces. If the ice is thick on the tarmac, they're fine. If there is no ice/thin ice, the studs will rip the tarmac.

Winter tyres (non studded) are used in the Alps, and were on the hired Ford Galaxy a few of us rented three years ago when we went to the Monte Carlo Rally. The winter tyres worked on dry tarmac, ice, show, slush etc, but were not great at almost 150kph on the Autoroute. ;)

ianobrien wrote: »
    Don't forget that in Finland, most of the country roads are not paved, they are compacted gravel/sand so studded tyres wont damage it.

Studded tyres would rip tarmac to pieces. If the ice is thick on the tarmac, they're fine. If there is no ice/thin ice, the studs will rip the tarmac.

Well thanks for the "advice", I quess I havent learned those "facts" even I am finnish and you are obiously not. Both of the above are not correct, do you seriously think that people will drive from Helsinki to Lapland (over 1000km) on gravel/sand roads?? All the main roads are tarmac ones and yes,specially in the South they do drive on studded tyres before the snow even arrives, and the damage to the tarmac is quite minimal.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

To be fair, nobody in Ireland gives a RATS what they do in Finland.

We are interested in what they do elsewhere.

"Nordic winter tyre is not the same than they use in Germany etc south europe"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Winter tyres (non studded) are used in the Alps, and were on the hired Ford Galaxy a few of us rented three years ago when we went to the Monte Carlo Rally. The winter tyres worked on dry tarmac, ice, show, slush etc, but were not great at almost 150kph on the Autoroute. ;)

Studded tyres don't rip the tarmac to bits, FFS they are only about 2-3mm in length, the damage occurs when all the cars are on studs and they wear the road by grinding it down.The Norwegians pay a special tax in Oslo for the use of them not anywhere else AFAIK.
    Don't confuse studded tyres with Ice speedway tyres they are quite different.:D
    Anyway who gives a monkeys about the roads, the govt certainly doesn't going by Dempseys refusal to allocate any further funds for road repair.
    The roads around the country are in tatters and any possible damage from studded tyres will be insignificant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

itarumaa wrote: »
    Well thanks for the "advice", I quess I havent learned those "facts" even I am finnish and you are obiously not. Both of the above are not correct, do you seriously think that people will drive from Helsinki to Lapland (over 1000km) on gravel/sand roads?? All the main roads are tarmac ones and yes,specially in the South they do drive on studded tyres before the snow even arrives, and the damage to the tarmac is quite minimal.

Well, kindly explain then why the country roads around Jyvaskyla/Jamsa are gravel/sand. I've been at Rally Finland enough of times to know what I've driven on. The Main road from Helsinki to Jyvaskyla and from Jyvaskyla to Jamsa is tarred allright but all other country roads are not.

Well, kindly explain then why the country roads around Jyvaskyla/Jamsa are gravel/sand. I've been at Rally Finland enough of times to know what I've driven on. The Main road from Helsinki to Jyvaskyla and from Jyvaskyla to Jamsa is tarred allright but all other country roads are not.

Well it is a bit like if I would go standing in the side of M50 and say all my friends, how great roads Ireland has.

I quessed right that you are talking about Rally Finland but that is spesific event and yes country roads are gravel roads but still major part of the roads are tarmac and those roads are the places where people usually drive anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭bdeithrick

I have seen studable Tyres on
    eiretyres.com

Don't know we're to get the studs thou

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Necro thread!

Though I have seen new Studded tyres in Autodepot Walkinstown but sold without the studs (optional).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

This thread is pretty old. Start a new one if you wish.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement