Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

.22LR High/Hyper Velocity through silencer

• 15-07-2014 2:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭

Well lads when i was collecting my .22 rifle 2 weeks ago i was told not to put HV ammo through the silencer(parker hale)

I am now wonder why is that as i know of people that use the parker hale on .17hmr rifles which are much faster that .22lr hv ammo

I was hoping a few shots here and there wouldnt be a problem as if lampin and come across a fox taking off the silencer would be a pain.

Alot of plinking might not be too good i guess...

Federals HV are at 1280fps and Stingers much faster at 1650fps

BTW subs and silencer are unreal quiet really surprised :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,071 ✭✭✭Mech1

I have used a metal .22 Parker Hale on a .22 hornet. it did a reasonable job and I probably put 400 rounds through it before selling the rifle.

problem was after the first few rounds through it the metal must have deformed slightly so unable to open for cleaning ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭1shot16

My silencer came with the gun its old enugh and ids say its sezied up like yours,I wont be able to clean it but sure id does the job anyway wouldnt bother fork out more money just to be able to clean it,

Was looking into the bottom and the first bit looks to not be perfectly circular kind of rounded square shape it it meant to be like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

I'm not vouching for your particular moderator but I have several models - parker hale, unique (?) and a unknown sealed aluminium one. I have shot all types of solid .22 ammo through them, low, standard, HV and hyper velocity with no ill effects.

One thing I can tell you is that going between LV & HV your going to have a considerable difference in POI. I have up to 7 inches between my LV and HV POI. So you will need to know your hold overs or use a mil dot scope to use both in the field. I tend to stick with LV for hunting and rezero for HV for targets.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

The reasons are simple. It, the moderator, won't work.

It'll suppress the shot a little, but a HV breaks the sound barrier and so the nice quietness of the .22 with subs is gone. My .17hmr has a mod on it, but there is a still a fair crack when i fire because the bullet is supersonic.

The second reason is the mod may not be able for the higher pressures of the HV ammo. So if a failure occurs you have no come back. The chancves of this are slim with the likes of A-Tec, SAK, etc that are designed to be fired with supersonic ammo, but Parker Hale may not be. Always check the mods maximums before using.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

As Cass said.
    As well as the fact that if the can isnt on right or one of the baffles are slightly out of true or alingement a HV round will proably destroy the can completely,whereas a sub will proably mangle the innards and fall out ten feet from the muzzle.
    BTW if anyone wants a exellent penetrating oil solution,discoverd a mix of 50/50 hydrogen peroxide[stuff you use to bleach deer skulls ]and brake or automatic transmission fluid will penetrate really well into frozen threads. Give it a steep for about 48 hours tho and be careful hydrogen peroxide is a bleaching agent ,so what it does to your missuses hair or deer skulls ,it will do to your clothes too.:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

If subs are zeroed at 50 id say stingers are zeroed at 70 mabye???

So a expensive mod would be okay for HV rounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

1shot16 wrote: »

So a expensive mod would be okay for HV rounds?

People use parker hales & saks on hmrs and wmrs without doing any damage.. HV .22 hasnt the same punch as its big brother, the wmr, so you'll do no damage.. But mods can tend to wear out faster with the bigger loads but your still talking about 1000's of rounds.

A sak is also used on all rimfires and are rated up to .22hornet.

Sportsden have parker hales for €40 on sale at the minute too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

1shot16 wrote: »

You'll have to do the range work, but for my set up zeroed at 50 yards with LV I'll get a 100 yard zero with HV without dialing in the scope.

For illustration purposes only that's,

7 inches high @ 50 yards
    5 inches high @ 60 yards
    3 inches high @ 70 yards
    2 inches high @ 80 yards
    1 inches high @ 90 yards
    0 inches high @ 100 yards

There's too much potential for errors from either misjudging distance or target size for me to be comfortable with such high values of hold over / under, especially for a standard reticle. Others may disagree but for my set up I zero at 50 for LV and if a fox comes into my comfort zone when out after bunnies I'll burst 'em, in my comfort zone mind you.
    Having said all that and if your permisson suits, try the HV zeroed (give yourself a margin of 1- 1.5 inches high and low) and hunt with them. I spent many years using an unmoderated .22 semi that could only cycle HV and still got lots of rabbits. I tended not to use hyper velocity rounds as I did not find them as accurate as HV stuff. Remember even with HV the energy drops like a stone off a cliff after approximately 100 yards and hold over gets higher.
    Put rounds down range its the best and most fun way to learn.

Thanks for the reply cookimonster ive a mildot scope and playing around with it.

Im using an app called strelok gives me a basic drop chart and apparenlty 3.6 inches at 10 mag at 100 yards is one dot so i needs 6 inches at 100 with subs so just under 2 mil dots shot the target at was bang on handy little app :D

So if i had it X5 mag at 100 yards id only need a mildot reading into all of this kinda interesting :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

I have a with Parker hale mod and a sak mod. I fire everything through them. I preferre the sak just for looks but there both the same other than that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement