Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tallest Irish Man

• 24-12-2012 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Curious to find out what height / who is the tallest Irishman living.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,683 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Google the question perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

I know someone who claims to be 6' 10".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Is Michael D Higgins a contender?

chughes wrote: »
    Is Michael D Higgins a contender?

Who mentioned hobbits?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I know Ireland's tallest dwarf if it helps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

My ex is 6'10. He's the tallest person I've ever seen. :pac:

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    My ex is 6'10. He's the tallest person I've ever seen. :pac:

Was his name Roger?

• Site Banned Posts: 240 ✭✭Nervous Nigel

Devon Toner is 6'10...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

juan.kerr wrote: »
    Was his name Roger?

No, Shaun.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,408 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

It's this man;

http://www.thetallestman.com/shaunaisbitt.htm

He only lives down the road from me, I remember being told he was the tallest man in Ireland and my googling just confirmed it:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭yer man!

There's a model of him in the wax works in Dublin

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Blay wrote: »
    It's this man;

http://www.thetallestman.com/shaunaisbitt.html

He only lives down the road from me, I remember being told he was the tallest man in Ireland and my googling just confirmed it:pac:

not with a broken link it doesn't

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

The Irish Giant - Charles Byrne

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Byrne_(giant)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

Dunno. I'm 6 ft 1 in and there's a young fella (18 ish) in Killarney and he's a serious beanpole. Tis strange to have to strain so much see his gob. Must be 7 ft ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

The tallest Irishman ever was Patrick Cotter from Cork who was 8'1".
    His giant boots are on display in Kinsale museum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Cotter_O%27Brien

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Dutchy

My mate is 7 ft tall - he is from Leixlip. Article about him and buying clothes in the examiner a couple of weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

I used to play basketball against a guy by the name of Conor Tolan. He was from Artane and was 7ft 1. He went to the states on a basketball scholarship ten years ago and has lived there ever since. His playing career has tanked though I believe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 454 ✭✭Israel_Dagg

I'm the tallest lying horizontally ;) :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

seanmacc wrote: »
    I used to play basketball against a guy by the name of Conor Tolan. He was from Artane and was 7ft 1. He went to the states on a basketball scholarship ten years ago and has lived there ever since. His playing career has tanked though I believe.

hes back in ireland a long time now....i worked with him for a year in trinity college, before i moved on, hes still there .......hes 7ft

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

hes back in ireland a long time now....i worked with him for a year in trinity college, before i moved on, hes still there .......hes 7ft

Played against him a good few times at U19 level. Not the most mobile or skillful players but was an absolute bitch to have to play against, there was no stopping him under the boards. I think it was the Killester match programmes that upgraded him to 7 ft 1 when he was playing national league.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

seanmacc wrote: »
    Played against him a good few times at U19 level. Not the most mobile or skillful players but was an absolute bitch to have to play against, there was no stopping him under the boards. I think it was the Killester match programmes that upgraded him to 7 ft 1 when he was playing national league.

a monster alright, a nice chap

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

There's also Pat Burke whose 6'11". Only irish born person to play in the NBA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Burke

• Registered Users Posts: 16,249 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

There's a guy who lives a few miles from me who is 6ft11"

He is very skinny though, it seems common enough that some really tall lads do be quite thin as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

fuerte1976 wrote: »
    Dunno. I'm 6 ft 1 in and there's a young fella (18 ish) in Killarney and he's a serious beanpole. Tis strange to have to strain so much see his gob. Must be 7 ft ...

know who you're on about, he's not Irish tho :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭MFdaveIreland

Bump, Sean ohagan from county Down, 6:11, 185 kg he does strongman competitions,

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

The tallest Irishman ever was Patrick Cotter from Cork who was 8'1".
    His giant boots are on display in Kinsale museum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Cotter_O%27Brien

From that wiki:
    Patrick Cotter O'Brien (19 January 1760 – 8 September 1806)
    In his will, Cotter left £2,000 to his mother and a request that his body be entombed within twelve feet of solid rock (to prevent exhumation for scientific or medical research).

In 1972 his remains were examined
    (:rolleyes:) and it was determined that, while alive, he stood approximately 8 feet 1 inch (246 cm) tall.... An arm of Cotter's is currently preserved in the Medical Museum of the Royal College of Surgeons, London.

FFS.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 23,241 ✭✭✭✭ted1

juan.kerr wrote: »
    I know someone who claims to be 6' 10".

I know a fellow who is 6 11

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Wicklowal

A gentleman from Naas Co Kildare must be up there... Johnny Burke - 7' 2" tall. He is a basketball coach in Truman High School in The Bronx in NYC but was born and bred in Naas, attended Naas CBS and graduated in 1989. A nicer guy you wont meet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭ManofStraw

Wicklowal wrote: »
    A gentleman from Naas Co Kildare must be up there... Johnny Burke - 7' 2" tall. He is a basketball coach in Truman High School in The Bronx in NYC but was born and bred in Naas, attended Naas CBS and graduated in 1989. A nicer guy you wont meet.

+1 a true gent, he is 7' exactly though

Advertisement