Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Could Monsanto Destroy Irelands Farmers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Equating anti gm sentiment with homeopathy is a weak argument. I think you'll find that most people who question gm also think homeopathy is nonsense. I have no links to back that up but neither do you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Seriously, a lot of twaddle is talked about GM foods, and most of it is nudge nudge wink wink stuff. I think if GM foods leads to less pesticides and better crops then that's two advantages. Its funny how many of those opposed to GM (like prince charles) are also advocates of quackery like homoeopathy and such nonsense.

Maybe you'd benefit from a little more reading on the subject - and a lot less generalising. You could start with the topic of "super weeds" - nudge , nudge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭SiegfriedsMum

shedweller wrote: »
    Equating anti gm sentiment with homeopathy is a weak argument. I think you'll find that most people who question gm also think homeopathy is nonsense. I have no links to back that up but neither do you.

It was merely an observation and not an argument that some of those who oppose GM also promote homoeopathy. Both positions require a great deal of woolly thinking and have that in common.
    Maybe you'd benefit from a little more reading on the subject - and a lot less generalising. You could start with the topic of "super weeds" - nudge , nudge.

Boards is a discussion forum, and not a place where we come to direct others to other sites. If you have an argument, rather than just unasked for advice, I’ll respond to your argument.

OED Definition of patronize
    verb
    [with object]
    • 1 (often as adjective patronizing) treat with an apparent kindness which betrays a feeling of superiority:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Boards is a discussion forum, and not a place where we come to direct others to other sites.
    [MOD]Less of the back-seat modding please.

Let's keep it civil folks.[/MOD]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Boards is a discussion forum, and not a place where we come to direct others to other sites. If you have an argument, rather than just unasked for advice, I’ll respond to your argument.

Directing you to other sites is exactly what I was avoiding. You think GM reduces the amount of pestidices\herbicides. Many reports assert this is often not the case.
    If you pursue my suggested topic you can choose your own source of information - and avoid any of my woolly thinking.

I'll try to not to infer that I am better informed than your comment suggests if you try not to associate my anti-GM view with support of homeopathy or quackery.

• Advertisement

You think GM reduces the amount of pestidices\herbicides. Many reports assert this is often not the case.

GM as a science is not perfect. No science is. One of the goals of GM is to reduce the pesticides necessary in the production of crops, and while in some cases that goal has been achieved, in other cases that's still a work in progress, while in others that goal has been achieved.

The research in GM is ongoing, and one can only assume that the longer it goes on, the better it will get. I welcome the research which aims for that, and welcome the continuing research which also gives us better cropping yields.

I'll try to not to infer that I am better informed than your comment suggests if you try not to associate my anti-GM view with support of homeopathy or quackery.

I never said your views included support of homoeopathy, or quackery, as I have no way of knowing if they do.

You have concerns about GM and that's entirely valid. I probably don't share many of those concerns, but I do welcome research into making some crops give better yields, and with with less pesticides. I simply don't understand why some are against even research in the area, when the potential benefits can be highly significant, and the downside seems negligible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

Seriously, a lot of twaddle is talked about GM foods, and most of it is nudge nudge wink wink stuff. I think if GM foods leads to less pesticides and better crops then that's two advantages. Its funny how many of those opposed to GM (like prince charles) are also advocates of quackery like homoeopathy and such nonsense.
    No need to go elsewhere, lots of links in this very thread about the huge increase in pesticide use since GM came along, in sync with massive pest population booms and super weeds.

Super Weeds are resistant to Round Up, so new, more poisonous chemicals are to be used/added.

Australian Research shows that conventional Crops are well out preforming GMs, even when the GM receive multiple doses of herbicides. I read somewhere that Chinese Farmers were considering dropping BT Cotton due to crop collapse.

A link earlier in this Thread referenced a study that linked Roundup and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, study was from 1987 - 1990.

Monsanto received permits for a three fold increase on herbicide residues on genetically engineered soybeans in Europe and the U.S., up from 6 parts per million (PPM) to 20 PPM in 1998.

So overused it's turning up in the air you breath and even in pregnant women.

It was merely an observation and not an argument that some of those who oppose GM also promote homoeopathy. Both positions require a great deal of woolly thinking and have that in common.

OED Definition of patronize
    verb
    [with object]
    • 1 (often as adjective patronizing) treat with an apparent kindness which betrays a feeling of superiority:
    Only person linking GM and Homeopathy like this is you.

Haven't read through it all but this is everything thats wrong with GM et al.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Chloe Pink

You have concerns about GM and that's entirely valid. I probably don't share many of those concerns, but I do welcome research into making some crops give better yields, and with with less pesticides. I simply don't understand why some are against even research in the area, when the potential benefits can be highly significant, and the downside seems negligible.
    According to the UCUSA, it's the likes of Monsanto who are against the research (unless it's theirs)
    http://www.ucsusa.org/food_and_agriculture/our-failing-food-system/genetic-engineering/suppressing-research.html
    "But multibillion-dollar agricultural corporations, including Monsanto, have fought independent research on their genetically engineered crops. They have often refused to provide independent scientists with seeds, or they've set restrictive conditions that severely limit research options."
    Food for thought...

Australian Research shows that conventional Crops are well out preforming GMs, even when the GM receive multiple doses of herbicides. I read somewhere that Chinese Farmers were considering dropping BT Cotton due to crop collapse.

Are you claiming that all conventional crops outperform all GM crops? I assume not, and no one ever claimed the reverse was true.

Chinese farmers should be free to make their own decisions about which crops they wish to use, and they will presumably only choose GM crops which have advantages over "conventional" crops. As will all farmers.

A link earlier in this Thread referenced a study that linked Roundup and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, study was from 1987 - 1990.

And in the years since 1990 (thats 23 years) what further research has confirmed that? Or what further research has found no link?

"Studies" find all sorts of things, and homoeopaths will point you to "studies" which link their products to making people better. If there is one thing we all should learn is that studys which suggest links are of no value when subsequently proper clinical trials and meta analyses don't bear that out.

Monsanto received permits for a three fold increase on herbicide residues on genetically engineered soybeans in Europe and the U.S., up from 6 parts per million (PPM) to 20 PPM in 1998.

And what's happened in the 15 years since? GM is a developing science and I am not sure why that scares you. If it's not going to be better than conventional crops, no one is going to use it. If it is better in one way or another, then we might use them. Why does that seem to scare you?
    So overused it's turning up in the air you breath and even in pregnant women.

I am reliably told that every time I have a glass of water there are molecules in it which have previously been through the bladder of King Henry the VIII. presumably pregnant women and the rest of us all breathe the same air. What is it you are claiming has been found in pregnant women, where has it been found in them, and what does it do to them?

Only person linking GM and Homeopathy like this is you.

I am afraid you have misread what I said and I never made a link between homoeopathy and GM.

Chloe Pink wrote: »
    According to the UCUSA, it's the likes of Monsanto who are against the research (unless it's theirs)
    http://www.ucsusa.org/food_and_agriculture/our-failing-food-system/genetic-engineering/suppressing-research.html
    "But multibillion-dollar agricultural corporations, including Monsanto, have fought independent research on their genetically engineered crops. They have often refused to provide independent scientists with seeds, or they've set restrictive conditions that severely limit research options."
    Food for thought...

I cant think of many companies engaged in research and having invested huge amounts of money in research who don't give away the results of their research to anyone who asks for it. The same could be said for the pharmaceutical industry, the automotive industry, and virtually any other industry you can think of engaged in research.

Do you really think it normal practice in industry, for example, for the pharmaceutical companies to give their drugs which are being tested to other companies before the drugs are patented and ready for market? It would be madness to do as you seem to suggest.

I can’t think of any industry where a company invests huge sums of money in research, and then before they can patent any products which may result from that, they simply give those products and results away to independent scientists and others. If they did they would be bankrupt very quickly.

If the products are patented and are on the market, any scientist is free to but them and carry out whatever they wish to carry out.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Chloe Pink

Do you really think it normal practice in industry, for example, for the pharmaceutical companies to give their drugs which are being tested to other companies before the drugs are patented and ready for market?
    No I know it's not normal practise and obviously release before patent and marketing is an issue.
    However once a big company has a product patented and to market, their investment may well be at its peak to date and subsequently their defence of their product will be paramount in reaping their returns - any criticism of their product will likely be strongly rebuked - the current system has its flaws too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

Is it not biodiversity that is the real issue here? GM crops have great potential for increasing yield and protection from treats without pesticides etc but
    Introducing a strong viralant strain of one species of plant could potentially wipe out others, others which could have advantages not seen right now, reducing the genetic pool is one hell of a mistake whether it be plants or humans, look at the royal families :-) and not just plants but the animals that depend on the plants, balance!

Simple examples can be found showing harm to butterflies and other insects due to changes in crop growth patterns and toxin structures, if you are bothered have a quick look at this

http://www.ask-force.org/web/Bt/Felke-Langenbruch-Bt-Mais-Journal-2002.pdf

and many other similar study's that show negligible effects of introducing stronger species into local ecosystems

The real problem with monsanto and others is that they spend more time trying to debunk these studies than actually contributing to solving the issue's shown, it breeds a lack of trust insofar as the normal man on the street feels they are hiding something.

So feeding the poor(bull really, making money is more like it) now may contribute to reduces ability in the future if we dilute the gene pool.

Is it not biodiversity that is the real issue here? GM crops have great potential for increasing yield and protection from treats without pesticides etc but
    Introducing a strong viralant strain of one species of plant could potentially wipe out others,

Are you not aware that something like 98% of all species which ever existed on this planet no longer exist?

For example, the Irish potato which was around in times of famine was a pretty disgusting specimen, and new and better varieties have been developed since then which are much more drought resistant too. Someone might well have said in the 1860's "oh what a shame to develop new varieties of potatoes as they could potentially wipe our our existing variety", but that would have been pretty silly.

Simple examples can be found showing harm to butterflies and other insects due to changes in crop growth patterns and toxin structures, if you are bothered have a quick look at this

http://www.ask-force.org/web/Bt/Felke-Langenbruch-Bt-Mais-Journal-2002.pdf

and many other similar study's that show negligible effects of introducing stronger species into local ecosystems

The real problem with monsanto and others is that they spend more time trying to debunk these studies than actually contributing to solving the issue's shown, it breeds a lack of trust insofar as the normal man on the street feels they are hiding something.

So feeding the poor(bull really, making money is more like it) now may contribute to reduces ability in the future if we dilute the gene pool.

To be honest, if Monsanto wants to spend its own money on debunking others, or on looking for life on Mars, then that's their concern and it causes me no issues what they spend their money on so long as its legal and decent. If you think thats the real problem, then I disagree.

We live in a capitalist society where the making of money is useful for paying people's salaries, paying tax and so and so on. What's wrong with making money especially if the way one makes money is by helping others?

Are you not aware that something like 98% of all species which ever existed on this planet no longer exist?

For example, the Irish potato which was around in times of famine was a pretty disgusting specimen, and new and better varieties have been developed since then which are much more drought resistant too. Someone might well have said in the 1860's "oh what a shame to develop new varieties of potatoes as they could potentially wipe our our existing variety", but that would have been pretty silly.

To be honest, if Monsanto wants to spend its own money on debunking others, or on looking for life on Mars, then that's their concern and it causes me no issues what they spend their money on so long as its legal and decent. If you think thats the real problem, then I disagree.

We live in a capitalist society where the making of money is useful for paying people's salaries, paying tax and so and so on. What's wrong with making money especially if the way one makes money is by helping others?

I have a feeling you didn't read the study or make an effort to look at other peer reviewed studies regarding biodiversity and the weakening of the environment were GM plants are the primary factor researched?

Please tell me you are not a believer in creationism?

I have a feeling you didn't read the study or make an effort to look at other peer reviewed studies regarding biodiversity and the weakening of the environment were GM plants are the primary factor researched?

Please tell me you are not a believer in creationism?

I don't even know what creationism is, so think it unlikely I "believe" in it.

Are you just going to ignore the points I made in response to your last post?

are you going to keep ignoring the links provided for you?

I don't even know what creationism is, so think it unlikely I "believe" in it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creationism

Your points are probably the stupidest arguments for GM plants I have ever come across, and with some of the silly stuff I have seen on the internet that takes the biscuit,

But since its friday I will throw you a bone,

you wrote:

And currently the rate of extinctions are running at 1,000 and 10,000 times the natural order, this is mainly due to one animal, I was going to try and be clever and say " guess which one" but after your previous post I will tell you, its MAN
    you wrote:

Are you saying Monsanto could have prevented the great famine (gorta mor)?
    You knowledge of the famine is astoundingly sparse, the potato blight was a factor but by no means the problem, the potato blight hit the whole of Europe but Ireland had a whole host of political and economic problems that exacerbated it, you need to go have a read, take a day off work and cram, it will be of value.
    you wrote:

Do you know anything about PCBs or agent orange, look up Kemner v. Monsanto and go from there, these point to the ethical standards this company has shown in the past.
    you wrote:

Potentially causing biodiversity destruction for money is immoral. Your views are not uncommon to that extent but then Humans are all different,

Its the future you should be worried about,

As for Monsanto, I would be delighted if they found a safe and environmentaly friendly way to increase yield and reduce pesticide use.

And currently the rate of extinctions are running at 1,000 and 10,000 times the natural order, this is mainly due to one animal, I was going to try and be clever and say " guess which one" but after your previous post I will tell you, its MAN

As this thread is about GM, I don't understand how you think GM is causing that?

Are you saying Monsanto could have prevented the great famine (gorta mor)?
    You knowledge of the famine is astoundingly sparse, the potato blight was a factor but by no means the problem, the potato blight hit the whole of Europe but Ireland had a whole host of political and economic problems that exacerbated it, you need to go have a read, take a day off work and cram, it will be of value.

No, I didn't say that. Again, my point had nothing to do with the irish famine, but about the developments in potatoes since the Irish famine which have made the potatoes available then more or less extinct because the more modern potatoes are so much better.

Why you want to discuss the economic, political and social problems of the Irish Famine seem unclear, as they have no relevance to this thread on GM crops.

Do you know anything about PCBs or agent orange, look up Kemner v. Monsanto and go from there, these point to the ethical standards this company has shown in the past.

Henry Ford used slaves in the 1940's to build his cars and Marks & spencer has used child labour to produce garments. Many companies have done things which are disgraceful, and if you dont want to buy a Ford, or a twin set from M&S, or products from Monsanto, then thats your choice. It's not a reason to ban those companies and force them to disband.

I am not a cheer leader for any company, although you seem to have a particular hatred of one called Monsanto. Thats your choice, and my arguments are about GM as a science, and not about the history or about my own particular views on one company.

Potentially causing biodiversity destruction for money is immoral. Your views are not uncommon to that extent but then Humans are all different,

It could well be argued that it's immoral to not use the science of GM to find ways of feeding the enormous world population. However, morality isn't really the issue for me as its more an issue of finding solutions for problems.

That you appear to think those solutions should only be found without the use of GM science is a perfectly valid position, and it just happens that we disagree.

Its the future you should be worried about,

Its kind to tell me what I should worry about. However, I think the future will be better served by using GM science to try to feed the world in conjunction to existing technology. You seem to think GM technology should be banned, which is where we differ.

As for Monsanto, I would be delighted if they found a safe and environmentaly friendly way to increase yield and reduce pesticide use.

I agree, except I don't see why you only want Monsanto to do that. You may not be aware but there are GM trials taking place all the time here, in Ireland, which have nothing to do with Monsanto, so why you single them out is not clear.

Nearly Half of All US Farms Now Have Superweed
    Last year's drought took a big bite out of the two most prodigious US crops, corn and soy. But it apparently didn't slow down the spread of weeds that have developed resistance to Monsanto's herbicide Roundup (glyphosate), used on crops engineered by Monsanto to resist it. More than 70 percent of all the the corn, soy, and cotton grown in the US is now genetically modified to withstand glyphosate.
    blog07-graph%20copy.jpg

• Nearly half (49 percent) of all US farmers surveyed said they have glyphosate-resistant weeds on their farm in 2012, up from 34 percent of farmers in 2011.
    •92 percent of growers in Georgia said they have glyphosate-resistant weeds.
    • It's spreading at a faster pace each year: Total resistant acres increased by 25 percent in 2011 and 51 percent in 2012.
    • More and more farms have at least two resistant species on their farm. In 2010 that was just 12 percent of farms, but two short years later 27 percent had more than one.
    So where do farmers go from here? Well, Monsanto and its peers would like them to try out "next generation" herbicide-resistant seeds—that is, crops engineered to resist not just Roundup, but also other, more toxic herbicides, like 2,4-D and Dicamba. Trouble is, such an escalation in the chemical war on weeds will likely only lead to more prolific, and more super, superweeds, along with a sharp increase in herbicide use. That's the message of a peer-reviewed 2011 paper by a team of Penn State University researchers led by David A. Mortensen. (I discussed their paper in a post last year.)
    corn and soy farmers will likely have to muddle along, responding in the same way that they have been for years, which is by upping their herbicide use in hopes of controlling the rogue weeds
    "The definition of stupidity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." — Albert Einstein
    For a good idea of what's in store, check out this piece in the trade mag Corn & Soy Digest on "Managing Herbicide-Resistant weeds." Here's the key bit—note that "burndown" means a complete flattening of all vegetation in a field with a broad-spectrum herbicide such as paraquat, an infamously toxic weed killer that's been banned in 32 countries, including those of the European Union:
    For those with a known resistance problem, it’s not uncommon to see them use a fall burndown plus a residual herbicide, a spring burndown before planting, another at planting including another residual herbicide, and two or more in-season herbicide applications. “If you can catch the resistant weeds early enough, paraquat does a good job of controlling them. But once Palmer amaranth [a common glyphosate-tolerant weed] gets 6 ft. tall, you can't put on enough paraquat to kill it," [one weed-control expert] says.
    Oh my God!!
    But of course there's another way. In a 2012 study I'll never tire of citing, Iowa State University researchers found that if farmers simply diversified their crop rotations, which typically consist of corn one year and soy the next, year after year, to include a "small grain" crop (e.g. oats) as well as offseason cover crops, weeds (including Roundup-resistant ones) can be suppressed with dramatically less fertilizer use—a factor of between 6 and 10 less. And much less herbicide means much less poison entering streams—"potential aquatic toxicity was 200 times less in the longer rotations" than in the regular corn-soy regime, the study authors note. So, despite what the seed giants and the conventional weed specialists insist, there are other ways to respond to the accelerating scourge of "superweeds" than throwing more—and ever-more toxic—chemicals at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Oh my God!!
    [MOD]You can't copy/paste a whole load of stuff from the web and expect people to know what you're getting at.

Add your own contribution please.[/MOD]

75-year-old soybean farmer sees Monsanto lawsuit reach U.S. Supreme Court

Oldtimer is bringing suit to find out who owns the rights to the seeds planted in the ground and especially seeds held back from non Terminator type crops for replanting the next year.

• Advertisement

Seed Giants Sue U.S. Farmers Over Genetically Modified Seed Patents In Shocking Numbers: Report
    According to the report, Monsanto has alleged seed patent infringement in 144 lawsuits against 410 farmers and 56 small farm businesses in at least 27 U.S. states as of January of 2013. Monsanto, DuPont and Syngenta together hold 53 percent of the global commercial seed market, which the report says has led to price increases for seeds -- between 1995 and 2011, the average cost of planting one acre of soybeans rose 325 percent and corn seed prices went up 259 percent.
    Now that's the poor Farmers that live miles from a Farmer that's using a modified crop and is unlucky enough that the wind blows it in on his Land. GM company then sends out inspectors that trespass in on the neighboring Farmers property hoping to find one plant.

Nice Court system.

Interesting their about the Seed price increases, costs more to buy GM, costs more to treat and the crops still don't yield as much as non GM.

Concerned Farmers actually went to the DOA last year over the whole process and an Advisory Commitee was set up to figure out how to deal with/proceed...
    According to the AC21 group, the best maneuver for any Monsanto foe to take right now is to simply buy insurance, suggesting that the top guns will be given the go-ahead to continue with their contested habit of near endless litigation, a practice that has a tendency to leave the little guys bankrupt and out of business — only to be bought up by the billion-dollar Monsanto corporation after their bills can’t be paid.
    “Of particular concern in the report is the recommendation that organic and non-GE conventional farmers pay for crop insurance or self-insure themselves against unwanted GE contamination,” the group writes. “NOC strongly asserts that this proposal allows USDA and the agricultural biotechnology industry to abdicate responsibility for preventing GE contamination, while making the victim of GE pollution pay for damages resulting from transgenic contamination.
    ^Told to take out insurance against being contaminated by GM through no fault of their own.:eek:

Look at all the Articiles on that site, not one positive story about GM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

The OP was concerned with the destruction of Irish Farmers, I think they will find that the Supermarkets. Celtic Tiger, and consumer demands have already caused major destruction in the sector so I hope this won't be spun to point the blame at GM. Perhaps someone can provide the figures from Bord Bia/Teagasc but you will see a decline in the grower numbers for most of the fruit/veg crops grown in Ireland over the last 30 years. In fact large Growers with multi million Euro turnovers are starting to dominate profitable areas such as soft fruits and salad crops in Ireland.

A round up/history lesson of GMO. Cleared a few things up for me that I was wondering about.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Now that's the poor Farmers that live miles from a Farmer that's using a modified crop and is unlucky enough that the wind blows it in on his Land. GM company then sends out inspectors that trespass in on the neighboring Farmers property hoping to find one plant.

Has that actually happened?

Has that actually happened?
    Oh yea. Loads of stories.

Oh yea. Loads of stories.

Any actual evidence of it happening?

Obama signs Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2013 with buried provision (apparently to such a level that voting senators didn't even know it existed:confused::rolleyes:) that effectively bars federal courts from being able to halt the sale or planting of GMO or GE crops and seeds, no matter what health consequences from the consumption of these products may come to light for at the very least, the next 6 months.

Senator that proposed Bill has received €64,000+ in Campaign funding from Monsanto.

http://rt.com/usa/monsanto-bill-blunt-agriculture-006/
    http://www.ibtimes.com/furor-growing-against-obama-over-monsanto-protection-act-1156459

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

How is it that the likes of monsanto can do this? Everything else has to be tested before it is released for sale.:confused:

In the event that a determination of non-regulated status made pursuant to section 411 of the Plant Protection Act H. R. 933—35 is or has been invalidated or vacated, the Secretary of Agriculture shall, notwithstanding any other provision of law, upon request by a farmer, grower, farm operator, or producer, immediately grant temporary permit(s) or temporary deregulation in part, subject to necessary and appropriate conditions consistent with section 411(a) or 412(c) of the Plant Protection Act, which interim conditions shall authorize the movement, introduction, continued cultivation, commercialization and other specifically enumerated activities and requirements, including measures designed to mitigate or minimize potential adverse environmental effects, if any, relevant to the Secretary’s evaluation of the petition for non-regulated status, while ensuring that growers or other users are able to move, plant, cultivate, introduce into commerce and carry out other authorized activities in a timely manner: Provided, That all such conditions shall be applicable only for the interim period necessary for the Secretary to complete any required analyses or consultations related to the petition for non-regulated status: Provided further, That nothing in this section shall be construed as limiting the Secretary’s authority under section 411, 412 and 414 of the Plant Protection Act.

This is the text of bill HR933 that you are referencing (section 734, bottom of page 34 here).

Now, while it is very verbose and a little hard to follow, nowhere does that actually say that federal courts cannot ban the sale or growth of crops no matter what the health consequences. What it says is that if a crop, that is already legal, is put under re-review by a court, that it does not have to be destroyed while waiting for the re-review to be finished (again, because it has already been approved). I don't see the problem with that, in general. For instance, if the courts wanted to re-review the safety of a certain make of car, I wouldn't expect all the factories to shut down and all the cars in dealers lots be destroyed before safety concerns are confirmed.

Any chance you have the evidence I asked for in my last post? I'm just looking for some links to such lawsuits actually happening.

• Advertisement

This is the text of bill HR933 that you are referencing (section 734, bottom of page 34 here).

Now, while it is very verbose and a little hard to follow, nowhere does that actually say that federal courts cannot ban the sale or growth of crops no matter what the health consequences. What it says is that if a crop, that is already legal, is put under re-review by a court, that it does not have to be destroyed while waiting for the re-review to be finished (again, because it has already been approved). I don't see the problem with that, in general.
    A look at some of the other good News sites (ones with comment sections, can't beat 'em) dissecting that lawyer speak break it down the same way as links above.

Your interpretation (which just looks like a summary of Monsantos Press Release) is wrong.

For instance, if the courts wanted to re-review the safety of a certain make of car, I wouldn't expect all the factories to shut down and all the cars in dealers lots be destroyed before safety concerns are confirmed.
    Big difference between a Car and a "harmful" crop that could find it's way into every Jar, Tin and soup packet type foodstuff you buy. Unlabelled the way things are going.

Advertisement