Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭balfe1990

Not sure if this thread is for films only but if anyone hasn't watched Sons of Anarchy yet, I'd recommend it. The first season isn't incredible but apparently it improves twofold from the second season onward.

The main character is a bit of a knob, but there's a strong supporting cast and some very familiar faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

balfe1990 wrote: »
    Not sure if this thread is for films only but if anyone hasn't watched Sons of Anarchy yet, I'd recommend it. The first season isn't incredible but apparently it improves twofold from the second season onward.

The main character is a bit of a knob, but there's a strong supporting cast and some very familiar faces.

the third season was nearly a showkiller for me, it picks up again in the 4th though

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Separate threads for film & TV
    Finished season 1 of Friday Night Lights last week. Very enjoyable. Heard season 2 is pretty poor though, is it worth watching the rest of it anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Finished season 1 of Friday Night Lights last week. Very enjoyable. Heard season 2 is pretty poor though, is it worth watching the rest of it anyone?

Absolutely. Season 2 is fairly soapier in search of ratings but there are some great moments towards the end of the season.

Season 3 is incredible and 4 and 5 are excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Finished all the Friday Night Lights seasons a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed it. Excellent viewing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭spuddy01

Watched the Killer inside me last night. Thought it was a very good film Casey Affleck played the part extremely well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

went looking for great films i missed over the last few years, and found Primer, which i hadnt seen before and didnt realise was as old. great watch.

Reno 911 is absolutely gas. Pay no heed to the movie if you've seen it, that's awful.

Unfortunately, only the first season is up (12 eps.).

Season 2 was during the writers strike, its not godawful but its more melodramatic and there's a story arc thats terrible in it, it gets much better in the later seasons though, some really emotional stuff in there.

was a pretty big update on the US one from what I can see, The Thing (the Carpenter 1982 one) is on there now, yay, the dvd wasnt anamorphic and I never got it on blu-ray so this will suffice.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Iron Man 2 has been added to the Irish catalogue. Been meaning to watch it again since I only saw it once.

Private Parts, the Howard Stern biopic, is on the US one now as well, worth a watch, he plays himself in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

The rest of the series are watchable but every series is a repeat of series 1, you wouldn't be missing too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Watched all of Wilfred over the weekend, thought it was very very good, original and funny.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

i'm on the irish netflix and i seem to spend an age searching for a decent movie to watch

over the last two nights I have however found two movies I enjoyed, so all the searching paid off (jesus it seems i spend almost as much time searching the netflix database as watching stuff, why can't we filter searches????)

anyway the movies were

machine gun preacher, not a great fan of butler but the movie was entertaining

the painted veil, didn't expect to like it as much as i did, not a huge fan of period pieces, but this was good, unusual plot, two good actors with good supporting cast, never goes down the sentimental route but at the same time is deeply affecting by the end

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Some amount of movies added in the latest update.

Team America: World Police 2004 ▲3
    Abduction 2011 ▼1
    Mission: Impossible III 2006 ▼1
    Shooter 2007 ▲1
    Mission: Impossible 1996 ▼2
    Braveheart 1995 ▲1
    Clue 1985 ▼1
    Beverly Hills Cop 1984 ▲2
    Deep Impact 1998
    Face/Off 1997 ▲1
    Hot Rod 2007 ▼3
    Vanilla Sky 2001 ▲1
    Tommy Boy 1995 ▲1
    Mean Girls 2004 ▼2
    Bellflower 2011 ▲1
    Coming to America 1988 ▼1
    A Night at the Roxbury 1998 ▲5
    Payback 1999
    Star Trek: Insurrection 1998 ▲1
    Barbarella 1968 ▲1
    Chaplin: The Movie 1992 ▼4
    South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut 1999 ▲15
    Rat Race 2001 ▲7
    Pootie Tang 2001
    Private Parts 1997 ▲2
    Basic Instinct 1992 ▲5
    The Thing 1982 ▲1
    Haywire 2011 ▼9
    Footloose 1984 ▲6
    Beverly Hills Cop II 1987 ▼5
    Explorers 1985 ▼5
    Beavis and Butt-head Do America 1996 ▼3
    Jiro Dreams of Sushi 2011 ▼1
    Double Jeopardy 1999 ▲2
    Varsity Blues 1999 ▲4
    The Doors 1991 ▲6
    Clueless 1995 ▼14
    Without a Paddle 2004 ▼5
    We Were Soldiers 2002 ▼5
    The Conversation 1974
    The African Queen 1951
    The Longest Yard 2005 ▼4
    The Final 2010
    Ghost 1990 ▲3
    Super 8 2011 ▲4
    Traffic 2000 ▲5
    The Night of the Hunter 1955 ▼1
    The Omen 1976 ▼4
    Raw 1987 ▼4
    Battle Royale 2000 ▲1

Sorry for another list but I would love to see a soon to expire section on Netflix but this will have to do for now,

Fri Sep 07 Ma Mere 2005 Louis Garrel, Isabelle Huppert
    Sat Sep 08 From Paris with Love 2009 John Travolta, Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Richard Durden, Pierre Morel
    Sat Sep 08 The Gore Gore Girls: Special Edition 1972 Herschell Gordon Lewis, Amy Farrell, Frank Kress
    Sat Sep 08 River's End 2007 Sam Huntington, Barry Corbin
    Sat Sep 08 The Pajama Game 1957 Doris Day, John Raitt
    Sat Sep 08 Pure 2005 Harry Eden, Molly Parker, Keira Knightley
    Sat Sep 08 A Lawyer Walks into a Bar... 2007 Eric Chaikin, Nancy Grace, Eddie Griffin
    Sat Sep 08 Kabei: Our Mother 2008 Sayuri Yoshinaga, Yoji Yamada
    Sat Sep 08 The Adventures of Ociee Nash 2002 Skyler Day, Mare Winningham, Keith Carradine
    Sat Sep 08 Islander 2006 Tom Hildreth, Amy Jo Johnson, Emma Ford, Philip Baker Hall
    Sat Sep 08 Romeo & Juliet: Sealed with a Kiss 2006 Phil Nibbelink, Tricia Trippett, Chip Albers, Michael Toland
    Sat Sep 08 White Rainbow 2005 Sonali Kulkarni
    Sun Sep 09 An American Werewolf in London 1981 John Landis, David Naughton, Griffin Dunne
    Sun Sep 09 Archangel 2005 Daniel Craig, Yekaterina Rednikova, Gabriel Macht
    Sun Sep 09 Isolation 2005 John Lynch, Essie Davis, Marcel Iures
    Sun Sep 09 Big Nothing 2006 David Schwimmer, Simon Pegg
    Sun Sep 09 Party Girl 1995 Parker Posey, Daisy Von Scherler Mayer
    Sun Sep 09 The Breed 2006 Eric Lively, Oliver Hudson, Taryn Manning, Michelle Rodriguez, Hill Harper
    Sun Sep 09 Sebastian: Live 2008 Sebastian Maniscalco
    Sun Sep 09 Too Young to Die? 1990 Brad Pitt, Juliette Lewis, Alan Fudge
    Sun Sep 09 Willie Barcena: Deal with It 2008 Willie Barcena
    Sun Sep 09 Savage Messiah 2002 Polly Walker, Luc Picard
    Sun Sep 09 Beyond Hypothermia 1996 Sang Woo Han, Patrick Leung
    Sun Sep 09 Septem8er Tapes 2004 George Calil, Wali Razaqi
    Sun Sep 09 The Women of Brewster Place 1989 Oprah Winfrey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭MyBrokenKnees

Wouldn't it be easier to just direct people to the Instantwatcher website which has all of the on it home page instead of copying and pasting them on here.. Just a thought..

http://instantwatcher.com/

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

It's a shame there's no way of getting regionalised versions of Instantwatcher's data - every time I've used it it's pointed me at a load of stuff only available on Netflix US, and I don't want to be mucking around with any of the various workarounds to get at US netflix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭MyBrokenKnees

Fysh wrote: »
    It's a shame there's no way of getting regionalised versions of Instantwatcher's data - every time I've used it it's pointed me at a load of stuff only available on Netflix US, and I don't want to be mucking around with any of the various workarounds to get at US netflix.

Try the NetflixUK & Ireland Facebook page a couple of guys on that were putting together one for Netflix UK & Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

There was a very basic one for the UK selection but the link went dead some time ago and i havn't been able to find an alternative. They did add a "Recently Added" tab to the website not long ago though so that's better then nothing and they also post highlights up on their facebook page.

Season 1 & 2 of Modern Family are up on Irish Netflix. (58 Epsidoes)

Probably needs no introduction, show is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

balfe1990 wrote: »
    Season 1 & 2 of Modern Family are up on Irish Netflix. (58 Epsidoes)

Probably needs no introduction, show is fantastic.

Boom! Finally great news.

http://wonder-tonic.com/cageyourqueue/

The greatest thing to ever hit Netflix.

http://wonder-tonic.com/cageyourqueue/

The greatest thing to ever hit Netflix.

I'm actually scared to click it. Not that I have a feckin queue or anything. :mad:

Can ypou get a queue on the ps3? or just the netflix site?

krudler wrote: »
    Can ypou get a queue on the ps3? or just the netflix site?

I have an Instant Queue on my PS3, but i have a US account.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭da_hambo

A Woman in Berlin is a good Ww2 film set during and after Berlin falls!

Check it out on Us Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishash

Not sure if it has been mentioned before, but the "30 for 30" sports docs that were produced by ESPN are up on US netflix. I have seen a fair few, and would recommend "Catching Hell", "17 June 1994" and one other one about the rival American Football league that was set up to compete with NFL (not the XFL thing, this one was from the late 80's).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

New docu "Marley" is on US one now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement