Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Skinfull wrote: »
    found a wealth of 80's and 90's flicks on Netflix today.. love it! Also they have streamlined episodic TV, not quite automated yet but still an improvement. All I really want now is a genre search!

whats 80s and 90s have you found? been looking for some good ones myself

CMpunked wrote: »
    For anyone who used to watch the WWF/WCW back in the 90s and remember Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels, they had a massive real life hatred which became the first real backstage feud that is a fascinating story.
    Last year wwe finally got both men to sit down and tell the tale for the first time together and its quite an interesting watch even for anyone who never watched wrestling or has little to no interest in it.

WWE's Greatest Rivalries: Shawn Michaels vs Bret Hart

I was a huge WWF fan back in the day and look forward to watching this. They have a really good selection of wwe titles with docs about Bret, HBK, SCSA, Rock, Taker, Y2J and more. Watched the rise and fall of WCW the other day which was very interesting. Saw Beyond the Mat years ago and must watch wrestling with shadows

I'd recommend the following from wathcing and browsing on the us netflix;

Archer (tv series)
    Amadeus
    Syriana
    Butch Cassidy
    Thin Red Line
    13 Assasins
    The Trip (6 part series with Rob Brydon and Steve Coogan)
    Exit through the gift shop
    Following (Christoper Nolans first feature)
    Sons of Anarchy (tv series)
    Man v Wild
    Battlestar Gallactica
    Party Down
    Luther
    Up
    Blade Runner
    Twin Peaks
    Babel
    Little Miss Sunshine
    Anchorman
    Brokeback mountain
    Hunger

Have found myself watching eps of Cheers, MacGyver, Bravestar and GI Joe purely for nostalgic reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Wrestling with Shadows is brilliant, documentary maker follows Bret Hart for a year and inadvertently captures on film one of the most infamous incidents and its aftermath in WWE history.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭andrewire

Apologies if this has been recommended before but for anyone looking for a good sci-fi series, you should try FIREFLY. It's one season long only. 14 episodes. It's brilliantly funny and entertaining. It was created by Joss Whedon, the director of The Avengers Assemble.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,031 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Kelly Reichardt's excellent Wendy & Lucy is expiring next week. Well worth a watch if you like slow burning dramas or want to see an emotional film about dog ownership done right :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,073 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Separate threads for film & TV
    andrewire wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been recommended before but for anyone looking for a good sci-fi series, you should try FIREFLY. It's one season long only. 14 episodes. It's brilliantly funny and entertaining. It was created by Joss Whedon, the director of The Avengers Assemble.

Don't forget to watch Serenity when you finish that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

May not be as high brow as other recommendations but I have to admit to pissing my self while laughing at Kenny versus Spenny. I'd remembered it from channel 4 a couple of years ago (I think), but if you like toilet humour (literially) you'll love this.

The "tied to a goat" episode is brillant.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭andrewire

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Don't forget to watch Serenity when you finish that ;)

YES! I bought the DVD in HMV recently (€5.99) and thought it was a brilliant conclusion to a brilliant series. Pity it only lasted one season! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

The underrated 2010: The Year We Make Contact is on Flix from today, a very different, but excellent sequel to 2001: A Space Odyssey.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,073 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Spotted Ed Wood on there today too, don't think it was available before.

• Advertisement

Drive, which I haven't seen, has just appeared on Netflix US, really looking forward to seeing this. I know its divided opinions but a couple of mates have said its excellent.

Drive, great film, a bit like a 70's American film with a European sensibility. The slower, more uneventful pace of the first two thirds made the violence of the last third all the more shocking when it arrived, the bloke from Breaking Bad's performance was the standout. 8/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

Drive is really good.

Watch Thief with James Caan. It's on both versions of Netflix.

Drive owes a big debt to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Kamjana

Drive, which I haven't seen, has just appeared on Netflix US, really looking forward to seeing this. I know its divided opinions but a couple of mates have said its excellent.

I watched drive on a plane a few weeks ago and i thought it was very good,i was waiting to see if it would be on Netflix glad it is now so i can watch it on a big TV,also the soundtrack is excellent on it.

Can vouch for Thief, really good film and Drive very much owes a debt to it!

Kamjana wrote: »
    I watched drive on a plane a few weeks ago and i thought it was very good,i was waiting to see if it would be on Netflix glad it is now so i can watch it on a big TV,also the soundtrack is excellent on it.

Don't they censor the shiit out of stuff on flights or not show 18 cert stuff at all?

Thanks for the heads up on Thief jamc, just watched it and its great, can see how it inspired Drive. I always liked James Caan, great actor.

Don't they censor the shiit out of stuff on flights or not show 18 cert stuff at all?

I hadn't seen it before or since then so i dont know,they just edit out nudity on flights and a few curse words but thats about it,im going to give it a watch later anyway :)

Just seen "deadmau5 meowingtons hax 2k11" is up on the US netflix,great gig if your into EDM.

Archer, had heard loads about it, started it last night, love it already one of the funniest shows I've ever seen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Unless they update their selection massively I am cancelling this sub.
    They have had several months now to get a better selection.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 10,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Unless they update their selection massively I am cancelling this sub.
    They have had several months now to get a better selection.

I don't mean to be snarky, but you'd be better off contacting them with this kind of feedback than posting on here. Based on this thread you're clearly not the only person who feels this way, but if you don't tell them they're not going to know what to change.

(Personally I find there's still enough on there for it to be worth my while, but that's a call each of us has to make for themselves...)

Fysh wrote: »
    I don't mean to be snarky, but you'd be better off contacting them with this kind of feedback than posting on here. Based on this thread you're clearly not the only person who feels this way, but if you don't tell them they're not going to know what to change.

(Personally I find there's still enough on there for it to be worth my while, but that's a call each of us has to make for themselves...)

I traded in a ton of dvds to save space and a lot of them are on netflix, i change from the US to Irish one to watch some stuff, usually have the US one as default though, there's plenty of stuff on there just the search function is terrible, loads of people think only the stuff on the suggestions is there I told someone they can search for movies and they didnt know this at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Stupify

Can you get friday night lights on the Irish netflix?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Daybreakers: I thoroughly enjoyed this vampire flick which is more science fiction than horror. Essentially the population of Earth is now mostly vampire and they are trying to survive despite a depleting source of blood (humans).

I particularily like how the vampires have developed coporations, armies, a stock market, police service yet when the blood runs low their true animalistic nature emerges. Dark, gothic and plenty of violence. Sam Neill is a one cool vampire.

krudler wrote: »
    I traded in a ton of dvds to save space and a lot of them are on netflix, i change from the US to Irish one to watch some stuff, usually have the US one as default though, there's plenty of stuff on there just the search function is terrible, loads of people think only the stuff on the suggestions is there I told someone they can search for movies and they didnt know this at all.

Is there a reason the search function is so terrible? I also had to explain to someone that there was a huge amount of stuff there, they just had to look for it. I can't think of any reason why the search function os so bad, but it's frustrating to say the least.

I know this is a recommendation thread so I'll just say The League, Sports Night (Sorkin's first gig I believe) and Party Down are all pretty good US shows to check out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Daybreakers: I thoroughly enjoyed this vampire flick which is more science fiction than horror. Essentially the population of Earth is now mostly vampire and they are trying to survive despite a depleting source of blood (humans).

I particularily like how the vampires have developed coporations, armies, a stock market, police service yet when the blood runs low their true animalistic nature emerges. Dark, gothic and plenty of violence. Sam Neill is a one cool vampire.

I saw this in the cinema and don't remember too much about it. But I think Willem Defoe had some great one-liners.

Is there a reason the search function is so terrible? I also had to explain to someone that there was a huge amount of stuff there, they just had to look for it. I can't think of any reason why the search function os so bad, but it's frustrating to say the least.

I know this is a recommendation thread so I'll just say The League, Sports Night (Sorkin's first gig I believe) and Party Down are all pretty good US shows to check out

I've mentioned it loads of time before on here but this is excellent for finding all of what's on Netflix US:

http://instantwatcher.com/titles/new

This, while more basic has the content on Netflix Ireland by category etc:

http://www.pcgamer.name/netflix.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

also this one for the american catalogue

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/dvd/netflix/

• Advertisement

also this one for the american catalogue

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/dvd/netflix/

The problem with that site is that they don't update it, so it lists loads of stuff that isn't on Netflix anymore.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement