Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raspberry PI $25 PC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

I got a reply from Farnell about the free Raspberry Pi t-shirt offer. They added the t-shirt request to my order. Now, to continue to play the waiting game.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Still nothing from Farnell apart from a half assed apology, called to cancel today but couldn't get through.

Got the same mail as Khannie from RS and would much prefer to give them my business in future. Farnell are a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭wush06

I got a delivery date of the 14 of may. So I will just have sit tight till then.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭nulabert

Where would I find Raspberry Pi absolute beginners programming tutorials/books?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,930 ✭✭✭Doge

nulabert wrote: »
    Where would I find Raspberry Pi absolute beginners programming tutorials/books?

The first step would be going onto their wiki to see if there's anything about programming languages...

http://elinux.org/RPi_Programming

You could start by buying a book one of the languages you want to learn.

There's no real Raspberry Pi programming books as those languages can be used on practically any OS to make applications.

There's some basic tutorials on this youtube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXmYIAGwpe4

You should joing their forums and, if you want to get started right now, download the Raspberry Pi virtual machine and start programming on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭seanin4711

when are they out?

Just got another order update from Farnell, delivery date is now 14 May. They may as well just say straight out that they have no idea when these things will be produced and shipped out. I guess I'm as much to blame by taking any of these dates seriously.

That t-shirt had better be awesome :sarcasm:

Responding to the previous poster, until the suppliers ramp up production I don't think anyone will know for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I just received a mail informing me that expected delivery has been pushed to the 14th of May. I hope I'm still living here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

theteal wrote: »
    I just received a mail informing me that expected delivery has been pushed to the 14th of May. I hope I'm still living. here

FYP :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

I still haven't pre-ordered even though I got the email to do so. Just thinking I might as well wait until the summer now until the masses have their hands on them and see what is being done to them. As well as being enclosures and maybe further upgrades down the line. Saying that, for e40 it's very hard to resist!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭brock92

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

brock92 wrote: »
    That is seriously nice!!

• Registered Users Posts: 64,542 ✭✭✭✭unkel

AntiRip wrote: »
    I still haven't pre-ordered even though I got the email to do so. Just thinking I might as well wait until the summer now until the masses have their hands on them and see what is being done to them. As well as being enclosures and maybe further upgrades down the line.

+1

I found this FAQ from Element14/Farnell

http://www.element14.com/community/docs/DOC-43262/?CMP=SOM-FB-e14RasPiFAQ
    Frequently Asked Questions about Raspberry Pi
    UPDATED AT 7:30am CST, March 6

Raspberry Pi Delivery Dates
    Q: I got an email from Farnell element14 stating that my delivery date for the Raspberry Pi I ordered is now into May or June, is this correct?
    A: Sorry! We updated the data in our system so that new customers placing their pre-order would be advised of the delivery date at the end of May or beginning of June. If you originally had an estimated delivery date in March or April, your delivery estimate is still as per the original communication.

.....not that I'll be getting my hopes back up again for my original delivery estimation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭col.in.Cr

SBC, RASPBERRY PI, MODEL B 1 1 W/C 30/04/2012

I found this FAQ from Element14/Farnell

http://www.element14.com/community/docs/DOC-43262/?CMP=SOM-FB-e14RasPiFAQ

.....not that I'll be getting my hopes back up again for my original delivery estimation.

Nicely spotted, and that link is now posted up on the RPi blog and the mistake has been confirmed on there for people who got to the pre-order early.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/764

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

brock92 wrote: »

Now that I can wait for! :D

Seriously cool

New Raspberry Pi videos have been popping all over the Element14 youtube channel lately.

http://www.youtube.com/user/element14

Including an advertisment from console modding guru Ben Heck, fecking great to see him getting involved with it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Finally some clarification.

Just received an email stating that the part ordered was the chipset and not the board. That explains the price difference anyway. I just cancelled it there.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 10,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Finally some clarification.

Just received an email stating that the part ordered was the chipset and not the board. That explains the price difference anyway. I just cancelled it there.

You have to wonder why on earth they were even offering that as part of the first-wave release.

At least they've gotten their act together to some extent, but I suspect it'll be a few months before anything like general availability is possible...

• Advertisement

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/781

For anyone who may have managed to get part of the first batch it looks there's another delay. The factory used non-magnetic instead of magnetic Ethernet jacks. According to their Twitter a/c, it says that -
    Since you're all wondering, with a magjack you get better signal integrity, better filtering and shorter transmission distances for data.

I'm seriously impressed they managed to spot this that quickly.

Bad news for the manufacturer who will have to re-solder the each board manually by hand with a new connector.

Bit ****ty of them to try and pull a fast one, its like asking for green but getting red instead.

I seriously hope they manage to source a magnetic connector that will fit the board, and meet the demand.
    Otherwise it could mean a huge delay, and the entire board will have to be revised.

Farnell and RS are already helping the team source the component,
    so handing the distribution over them is probably the best thing that could of happened given this mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

If they don't manage to source large number of ethernet jacks they could always shift production to the model A. Maybe some people may not like that but in reality a usb hub could be had for a few quid and a USB ethernet adaptor for about 3 quid if needed.

Thinking about this thing more and more I think it could also really revolutionalise home automation. Why bother using things like Zigbee or old automation protocols like X10 when you could install an rpi plus a few relays for about 30quid. Throw in a usb wifi adaptor and you have easy to install automation modules that only require power. Run a web server on the pi to provide control over the GPIO's.. simple.

Those GPIO's are what make this thing so fantastic IMO. So many possibilities and so much easier and cheaper than trying to use something like an arduino and an ethernet jack to provide network based automation.

Redisle wrote: »
    If they don't manage to source large number of ethernet jacks they could always shift production to the model A. Maybe some people may not like that but in reality a usb hub could be had for a few quid and a USB ethernet adaptor for about 3 quid if needed.

Thinking about this thing more and more I think it could also really revolutionalise home automation. Why bother using things like Zigbee or old automation protocols like X10 when you could install an rpi plus a few relays for about 30quid. Throw in a usb wifi adaptor and you have easy to install automation modules that only require power. Run a web server on the pi to provide control over the GPIO's.. simple.

Those GPIO's are what make this thing so fantastic IMO. So many possibilities and so much easier and cheaper than trying to use something like an arduino and an ethernet jack to provide network based automation.

Redisle,

You sound like you know what you're taking about, Any chance you'll post some of these projects when you get started?

Thanks

Just a headsup that Element 14/Farnell have updated their pricing structure:

http://www.element14.com/community/docs/DOC-43546/l/raspberry-pi-pricing-update

Take note of the following:
    This simplified pricing structure will apply to all credit/debit card orders placed with us and includes those from customers who have already registered their interest or intent to buy from any of the element14/Premier Farnell Group of companies, unless they were previously quoted a LOWER price, in which case we will honour the lower price.

If a customer has already ordered from us at a HIGHER price than those listed below we will ensure this is corrected at point of shipping to reflect the cheaper prices below.
    Judging by my order I don't think the price has changed for me.

Just a headsup that Element 14/Farnell have updated their pricing structure:

http://www.element14.com/community/docs/DOC-43546/l/raspberry-pi-pricing-update

Take note of the following:

Judging by my order I don't think the price has changed for me.

Thanks for that, same in my case.

Nice to see them put the effort into detailing the how the price is made up though.

38/39 euro might seem a bit pricier than we expected,
    but what if the price was 32 + 7 euro shipping?

I wasn't expecting the free shipping myself.

Congratulations - Farnell element14 will deliver your Pi to you around mid May.

I'm in the second batch I think. They've pushed my delivery from early April to mid May

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Congratulations - Farnell element14 will deliver your Pi to you around early May.

how early? :cool:

nulabert wrote: »
    I'm in the second batch I think. They've pushed my delivery from early April to mid May

"CONGRATULATIONS.....

....you'll be waiting another month."

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

Just read there's a new delay now due to them needing electromagnetic testing :rolleyes:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17547764

Advertisement