Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

doozerie wrote: »
    An interesting challenge, to ride 100km off-road, in snow. This guy did it in 13 hours on the On-One Fatty with its 4-inch tyres. Impressive, and the bike does look like fun.

Fun on snow, sure. Hateful in any other conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

Returned a 105 rear mech recently and they re-credited my bank a/c within a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

Was the Report published, or just presented to the Transport and Traffic Committee? There's nothing on the DCC website yet.

Like tomasrojo I was a bit confused by the figures, but without the Report it's hard to be sure. In that regard, DCC does publish its data sets here (2007-2011) if anyone wants to interrogate them, and the NTA has published a paper on the Canal Cordon Count trends 2006-2011 here, which fills out the picture a bit by including Dubln Bus, Iarnrod Eireann and RPA data for their respective modes, although with certain caveats. For example, table 2.1 in the NTA paper shows that there were 54,251 bus passengers and 69,681 car occupants in 2011, which is surely far more than the implied 5% mode share for bus, as noted by tomasrojo.
    ROK ON wrote: »
    Now that said I work in an office of 16 and four of us commute by bike.

140 or so in mine, of whom 40-50 cycle (seasonal variations).

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

In a department of 30, we have about 5 or 6 regular cycling commuters and another one or two fairweather commuters.

There was a transport survey done in the company 2 or 3 years ago which found that a fairly disappointing 2% of about 2,000 employees cycled in. To be fair though, it also found that some ridiculous figure, like 50% of the staff, lived within 2km of the office in the city centre.

The number of cyclists has definitely risen since then though, and it's primarily older and senior staff rather than the new graduates who are doing it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Snowing around Sally Gap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Lumen wrote:
    Fun on snow, sure. Hateful in any other conditions.

In some parts of Ireland it's known as the On-One Hippo and it seems very popular all year round, though admittedly within a niche market, as demonstrated by this altercation between a woman and a poor man that is struggling to explain why he likes "ridin' [his bike]". :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

80 where I work, I'm the only cyclist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

alway found them pretty efficient tbh

Went back through CC statements and it's there. No communications from though, which threw me. Thanks

I was reading that thread in after hours about cyclists and was thinking it was Friday already, bah.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,256 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

16 at my place of work, 2 of whom have taken advantage of the BTW scheme. although only one of them regularly cycles in, plus me of course. Have another who will probably take up the BTW scheme shortly (and I expect will cycle in) and another couple who may be interested and will probably cycle over the summer. That would make it between a quarter and a third of the workforce cycling in on a reasonably regular basis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Not sure about the total number of staff at my work place but the bike shed on a good day can be full to the last slot and the opposite wall double stacked with bikes. That's around 50-60 bikes if the weather is good, on a poor day it can go down as low as 20 or so bikes. Mostly the MTBs and hybrids on bigger tyres appear to 'survive' bad weather better, much less drop bars and skinny wheeled hybrids, though I have seen a Pinarello on some of the bad mornings there (maybe the guy's MTB or hybrid was broken, can't imagine myself commuting willingly in bad weather on a bike like that).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Most pointless thing ever? Ok maybe not ever.. but what the hell..

http://cosprings.craigslist.org/bik/3538142405.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

AstraMonti wrote: »

I don't even?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

AstraMonti wrote: »

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQBdwwRwGCL-IC-ynrES_b3O-vwUO9n9kafz4GEzYq6Bd4HVKH8IQ

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQBdwwRwGCL-IC-ynrES_b3O-vwUO9n9kafz4GEzYq6Bd4HVKH8IQ

Pointless, hey I can do pointless. How about a no zombies rule on days that don't start with F on months that don't start with F. Must start a poll, if I can stumble as far as after hours. Ah efF it. Couldn't be F'in bothered. Totally pointless......

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

200 dollars for a decent commuter bicycle and an optional stabiliser if your a beginner.

Not bad

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

240079.jpg

CPL 593H

First commute on the bike since November, felt great. Looking forward to a nice 20km spin on the way home too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

800px-2008_UCI_World_Track_Cycling_Championships_a_crash.jpg

This photo threw me a bit. Was trying to make out who was in the crash, then spotted Hoy at the bottom of the photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Recommend me handlebar tape. Any decent ones? I had some charge stuff before but it rips far to easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

BX 19 wrote: »
    Recommend me handlebar tape. Any decent ones? I had some charge stuff before but it rips far to easy.

dont get the basic fizik stuff its rubbish

cinelli cork ribbon aint bad )kinda oldschooll though)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

how come paul kimmage aint a honorary life member of cycling ireland ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Fizik Microtex works well in terms of grip, both when dry and when raining, and I find it comfortable enough, but I have a question mark over its durability. After about a year of use (averaging about once a week on the bike) mine is torn (or worn) right through where my palms rest and where the brake cables pass underneath the tape.

It might be that the wear/tear is from other things (it possibly gets scraped there by the rough-ish lower edge of my kitchen countertop whenever I'm working on the bike indoors), but I suspect it's just worn through at that point from friction and if that's the case then it's not very robust at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

how come paul kimmage aint a honorary life member of cycling ireland ?
    Good question. Maybe he refused it because of his relationship with UCI?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

Beasty wrote: »
    UCI are seeking an additional 3 Cycling events at the Rio Olympics

Points Race (track)
    BMX Freestyle
    Mountain Bike Eliminator

More info here

Hopefully we'll be represented in the BMX racing aswell. kelvin Batey who just narrowly missed out on getting in to represent Ireland has taken two Irish riders, Corey Waller and Aaron Steacy(announced today) onto his Route 55 BMX race team to race in the UK national championship. The sport really seems to be getting bigger and bigger over here

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Hopefully we'll be represented in the BMX racing aswell. kelvin Batey who just narrowly missed out on getting in to represent Ireland has taken two Irish riders, Corey Waller and Aaron Steacy(announced today) onto his Route 55 BMX race team to race in the UK national championship. The sport really seems to be getting bigger and bigger over here

I think Corey might still be a bit young for the 2016 Olympics. :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

FSA cork bar pape 3,5mm, with some decent screw in plugs rather than the grotty push in ones they give you with the tape, and a couple of gel pads for some extra comfort. Was tempted to go Brooks, but the feedback I got here was pretty negative. I had Easton tape previously, but it was a sweat sponge when using the turbo, and got pretty rank pretty quickly. The FSA seems better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

i7RVZZ2Vw8Y3g.gif

Ouch!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,949 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Any North Co Dublin lads going for a spin tonight, take care at the Dublin Road roundabout in Lusk (at Taylor's farmyard).

I nearly lost it there a few minutes ago - both wheels slid sideways but I managed to hold it together. I wasn't going particularly fast so I think there may be a diesel spillage.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,256 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

buffalo wrote: »
    Ouch!
    Although as a result of concussion I cannot actually remember it, based on the injuries I received I reckon something similar happened to me in my "big crash" a few years ago - all head and upper body injuries and just a few scrapes on the lower body. Although the extent of road rash on my arms suggest I probably scraped along the road a bit more than that

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement