Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended Movies on TV

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Reno 911 Miami on RTE 2 now harmless idiotic fun ;)

I just turned over to that & am wondering what on earth am I watching! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Men of Honor on TG4 @ 21:30. Definitely a favourite of mine :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭fifi234ie

Assault on Precinct 13 on E4 now, any good?

Hmm
    How did they manage to kill the SWAT guys with simple weapons? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 84,337 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Wall Street is on RTE 1 now proof Charlie Sheen can act and wasnt always a nut job :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Jurassic Park starting in 15 mins on ITV1 (12:45)

• Advertisement

Wanted TV3 9pm tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Das Boot - directors version, German with subtitles all 4 hours of it 11.25 Friday night. Channel 4

• Registered Users Posts: 9,799 ✭✭✭take everything

Good Will Hunting on BBC 1 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭bnt

If you get Film4, The King of Comedy is on at 9PM on Wednesday. When it comes to Scorsese / De Niro collaborations, some critics prefer it to Taxi Driver or Raging Bull. One of those is BBC's Mark Kermode, who has it as his TV Movie of the Week. What De Niro does here is scary in a different sort of way to his other roles, hinting at the violence lurking beneath the surface of comedy. Jerry Lewis is also great, though I've heard it said that his character an even nastier version of the man himself.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭AllWasWell

bnt wrote: »
    If you get Film4, The King of Comedy is on at 9PM on Wednesday. When it comes to Scorsese / De Niro collaborations, some critics prefer it to Taxi Driver or Raging Bull. One of those is BBC's Mark Kermode, who has it as his TV Movie of the Week. What De Niro does here is scary in a different sort of way to his other roles, hinting at the violence lurking beneath the surface of comedy. Jerry Lewis is also great, though I've heard it said that his character an even nastier version of the man himself.
    Fantastic film though I'd put Taxi Driver ahead of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Colonel Kurtz

AllWasWell wrote: »
    Fantastic film though I'd put Taxi Driver ahead of it

Two very different movies for sure! But King of Comedy is a much overlooked gem. The way De Niro can switch from the type of un-hinged characters he played in the late 70's, to the tragi-comic Rupert Pupkin (in King of Comedy) shows just how on-top-of his game both he and Scorcese were at this time. And to think a movie like this could be seen as a throw-away, almost forgotten experiment for both of them proves just how great their influence was at this time! We need more movies like this.
    By the way, anyone get how scarily prescient this move was considering its about 30 years old now? Scorsese previsioned the whole X-factor/ reality Tv/ celebrity obsession phenomenon that now is considered almost normal in today's world:(

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Colonel Kurtz

I think Film 4 are showing the Carlos the Jackal film in 3 parts, over 3 nights later this week. I've heard it's quite good but have not seen it yet. Anyone got any thoughts/reccomendations on this? Hopefully they are showing the full un-cut version. I believe the Dvd release was an edited version and cut several important scenes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭PaulB1984

mike65 wrote: »
    Das Boot - directors version, German with subtitles all 4 hours of it 11.25 Friday night. Channel 4

Stunning movie, especially this director's cut, a flawless war movie that really does make the viewer feel like they're on that sub with those men.

Didn't actually tape it! :o Still Film Four seem to have bothered to grab a few "new" titles
    (King of Comedy being another) so it'll be on again soon.

Anyway speaking of new, tonight check out Carlos which, important to note, is being shown in two parts starting from 10.45 pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

mike65 wrote: »

Anyway speaking of new, tonight check out Carlos which, important to note, is being shown in two parts starting from 10.45 pm.

six hours was a bit long for carlos life
    good show (mini series) all the same

he did not do much spectacular besides the OPEC raid
    his reputation was bigger than his acts.

Most of the six hours was carlos womanizing , partying , scheming, planning , plotting, moving guns, lying low, meetings,arguing with girlfriends etc

Munich is on RTE 2 now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Munich is on RTE 2 now

Great ensemble, tragic story, ruined only by tedious sex & death imagery.

6/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Tindie

If your in the Halloween moved there numbers of movies for next few days

Tonight
    Halloween H20 10:15pm BBC 3
    Dawn of the Dead (1978) 10PM Syfy
    The Return Of The Living Dead 10:30pm MGM HD
    Mirrors (2008) 11:15pm Film 4
    Riding The Bullet (2004) 10:55pm Horror Channel
    I Know What You Did Last Summer (1997) 10pm Sony Channel
    Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982) 1:40am on Syfy (Also on Friday on BBC 2)
    Scream 3 (2000) at 10pm on watch
    Scream 4 (2011) 12:25am Sky Horror
    Interview with the Vampire 12:30 am ITV3

(As I will be sleep at the time, i post some movie on
    Tomorrow morning movies
    Alien Abduction McPherson Tape (1998) 6am, Again 5:30pm on Sky Horror
    The Abominable Dr. Phibes (1971) 7:30 MGM HD

The Video Dead is about to start MGM HD at 9PM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Geekness1234

"The Evil Dead" is on in ten minutes.

• Advertisement

Sky horror/scfi from 8pm are showing the whole series of the Omen.
    8pm The Omen
    9.55pm Damien: Omen II
    11.45pm Omen III: The Final Conflict
    1.35am Omen IV: The Awakening

Sky classic
    Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (1956) 7pm
    The Blob (1958) 10pm
    The Innocents (1961)

Sky Indie
    Paranormal Activity 2 10pm then Paranormal Activity 3 11:35pm

MGM HD
    Carrie (1976) 9pm
    The Amityville Horror (1979) 11:30pm

Film 4 The Sixth Sense 9pm
    Angel Heart 11PM
    Let the Right One In
    TCM
    Poltergeist 11PM

Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982) on syfy at 10pm, (also on BBC 2 on Friday.)
    Amityville II: The Possession afterwards

5USA
    11:50PM Halloween 5

True Entertainment
    11pm The Haunting of Sarah Hardy (1989)

Showcase 2
    12 am Night of the Living Dead (1968) *

Horror Channel
    9PM Boo (2005)
    11PM Dark Night of the Scarecrow (1981)
    1 am Night of the Living Dead (1968) *

Sony movies
    The Prophecy (1991) 10pm
    John Carpenter's Vampires 12am

Raw Deal! ITV4 10.30 Arnie shooting things up, dry run for Commando which I suspect
    will be on again in the next couple of weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭fifi234ie

Green Zone on channel 4 @ 9
    Got 53% on rotten tomatoes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

fifi234ie wrote: »
    Green Zone on channel 4 @ 9
    Got 53% on rotten tomatoes

Terrible movie!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭RichT

One of my favorite films is on TG4 tonight @ 9.30pm

28 DAYS LATER

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Very short notice here but I just saw that it's on. Dead Man's Shoes on Film 4 at 22:55 (or 23:55 if you've got film 4 +1)

Early Shane Meadows film. Stars Paddy Considine (as most Meadows films do). Well worth a watch, not for the faint of heart though. Quite violent but it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Being There is on RTE Two, 12:40am Sunday morning. Possibly Peter Sellers' finest performance as a straight actor, he plays a man named Chance who has lived a sheltered life as a gardener for a wealthy man. He's "not all there", to put it politely, a child in a man's body, quietly innocent of the "real world". When his old benefactor dies, he is forced out in to the world, completely unprepared. It's set in Washington DC, however, where everything is political, so what happens next is weird yet somehow plausible. Chance, the gardener - or Chauncey Gardener, as he becomes known - looks right, and says things that make him sound profound and wise, even if there's nothing "there" behind the words.

The timing of this showing on TV is a bit odd: it might have been more apt just before the US Election, when it could have been seen as a commentary on either candidate - or both. But it's still highly recommended, and Ebert calls it a Great Movie (with spoilers). :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Batman Begins at 9:50pm tonight on 'Watch', Sky Digital 109.

9.30pm TG4 tonight the excellent Grosse Pointe Blank

• Advertisement

Submarine - Film 4 9PM

and on Horror Channel Grindhouse Trailer Classics: Volume One (2007) 12.30 am

Advertisement