Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advice and experiences

Options
  • 20-07-2014 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Recently bought a rifle online , looked Amazing and dealer said it was mint.

Paid 800 deposit and a few months later the private seller was apparently telling the dealer that the money needed to be paid.

I paid the remaining balance.

Well I went to see and collect the rifle today and it was far from described.

Major issues to be honest.

Contacted dealer and waiting on a solution.

Really annoyed that I paid full when asked, my fault.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

Not sure what protections you have in ROI but normally with any firearm purchased on line purchaser should get a 3 day period for inspection and rejection if not as advertised. You should also be able to document the problems with a camera and put them into writing as in a letter if necessary. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

What exactly is the issue?

Would it be the sort of thing the RFD would have known about?

Here is a experience I've just had. I recently brought a 10/22 Takedown for a bit of plinking fun, while waiting on the Licence to be processed I asked the RFD to get the Iron Sights taken off and get it threaded for a Moderator, so it got sent off to a "Gun Smith" what came back was a pure hatchet job to put it nicely, it had about 10 marks/gouges that resembled that left from a Plumbers Wrench on the barrel.

Being a Saturday when I picked it up, I took it home with me knowing it was going back anyway just to put a few rounds through it, when they took off the Iron Sights they gave it a Re-Crown, not asked for but could have been required, when I sighted it in at 50m the best I could get was about 5 inches with the .22 Subs Keyholing already, after a 3 week sh!t fight (with the RFD being totally on my side about the whole issue) it got sorted, the whole saga did leave a sour taste but I will use that RFD again purely because of the customer service I received

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭philmire

amadablam wrote: »
    Hi all

Paid 800 deposit and a few months later the private seller was apparently telling the dealer that the money needed to be paid.

I paid the remaining balance.

Well I went to see and collect the rifle today and it was far from described.

Major issues to be honest.

Contacted dealer and waiting on a solution.

Really annoyed that I paid full when asked, my fault.

Did the rdf have the gun in his possesition or was it at the previous owners who took the pics? Its like buying a car second hand it can look amazing on the website but you need to look at it in person befor you pay full wack cause the pics could be old or the scraps might be not in the pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

If buying online, isn't there distance selling regulations. I think that you have a certain amount of time to return goods if you aren't happy with the quality.

I think that there is a 14 day cooling off period.

Check it out using google. You might be entitled to a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

First off dont take it outa the shop if your not happy.
    Then ask the dealer if he thinks the pics you have match what he sold you, he will hardly agree.. Then ask for money back, at worst look at other guns in his shop and move your money on to another firearm you like, if all that fails the cost of one Solisitior letter might just be enough to sway him..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

The Aussie;91353818]What exactly is the issue?

I asked the RFD to get the Iron Sights taken off and get it threaded for a Moderator, so it got sent off to a "Gun Smith" what came back was a pure hatchet job to put it nicely, it had about 10 marks/gouges that resembled that left from a Plumbers Wrench on the barrel..................."

And that is exactly WHY gun dealers and gunsmiths should be two distinct and non interchangeable trades here under legislation.One is an apprenticeship and a skilled trade that requires a qualification,and the other,well as a salesman you can and should be able to sell anything from apples to guns.
    Lucky you had the dealer on your side on this Aussie,most will say its grand,even if the silencer is 25 degrees off true from the bore so as not to fall out with their domestic water pipe plumber,and part time gunsmith..:rolleyes:
    Seen some horror jobs here done by gun plumbers that would put the heart crosswise in you.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Your telling me Grizzly, even before I left I made my stance clear, he actually had not seen it himself at that stage with it being sent away in Bag the 10/22 Takedown comes in and returned back still in it, I think he was slightly embarrassed at that stage.

When I showed him how Winchester Subs @ 50m were tumbling out of it he was incensed. (Pic below)

imagejpg1_zps18d2b705.jpg

Keyholing at its finest...

Did not cost me anything except a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭lefthooker

amadablam wrote: »
    Hi all

Paid 800 deposit ............................

Christ Alive that's a huge deposit to pay on something you haven't seen
    And if the remainder was anything like the deposit that's big money for a used rifle to be sold with "major issues"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

lefthooker wrote: »
    Christ Alive that's a huge deposit to pay on something you haven't seen
    And if the remainder was anything like the deposit that's big money for a used rifle to be sold with "major issues"

I was put under pressure to pay the remainder which I paid ages ago.

Pointed out the damage on collection, not seeing the further damage until I got home.

I am just being careful posting about the full situation and damage as this will end up going legal I think.

As for major issues, I can say that it is impossible to fire the rifle safely and I would go as far as to saw that firing it would be impossible and irresponsible.

Apologies and thank you for all that replied.

Advertisement