Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do I require Assigned Certifier for extension of <40sqm

• 16-07-2014 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Sorry, that this may seem like a duplicate post.

Determing exactly what is required as a result of the new March 1st Building Control Regs is difficult.

We are building a single storey rear extension of 30sq m. We don't need planning permission and I have clarified with Dublin City Council that we do not need a commencement notice.

We plan to engage an engineer for the structural drawings, certificates of compliance on completion for building regs.

Now I am wondering if the enginneer, need to be nominated as a Assigned Certifier.

I think no as
    1. We are under 40 sqm
    2. Don't need planning
    3. Not a new build

That we are exempt under the March 1st Building Control Reg and so any of the requirements detailed under it do not apply?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Based on what you have stated...your thinking is correct, you do not need an assigned certifier.

Just to pick you up on one thing...
    gIslands wrote: »
    3. Not a new build

Your extension is a new build and needs to comply with all current (relevant) building regulations.

On another matter - Health & Safety - have you appointed an Project Supervisor Design Process (PSDP) and have they prepared a preliminary health and safety plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 gIslands

Sorry you are correct- when I said new build ( I meant full new house v's extension)

Health and Safety - No. First I heard of this element. Any suggestions as to where I could get information on this?

Are we legally bound to have such a plan in place?

We have employed an architect simply to do plans, enginneer is the next step, pre going to tender for the builder.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

gIslands wrote: »
    Are we legally bound to have such a plan in place?

Yes. Google 'HSA Guide for Homeowners'.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Have a read of this http://www.hsa.ie/eng/Publications_and_Forms/Publications/Construction/homeowners_guidance.pdf

No commencement notice is required, but you still have to adhere to the current building regulations. Fair play for having a professional already engaged and it should ensure a suitable build on your behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Yeah, the PSDP is certainly one to watch out for. But the PSDP does more than just preparing the Prelim H&S Plan, he/she sned in an AF1 form to the HSA, is the go-to with any safety/design changes during the course of the works and a safety file is put together at the end of the project. So quite a bit of work even for a small project.

Also, and not to overlook, is the PSCS requirement. This would probably be your builder - you'll need to check to see if they are competent which is tricky if you've never used a builder before. That's when you rely on professional advice from your appointed Architect/Building Surveyor/Engineer.

As your extension is of reasonable size, it will likely exceed the 30 days (or 500 man hours) therefore the legislation requires you to appoint both PSDP and PSCS in writing.

Just on the commencement notice, when is a short 7-day notice used again? From memory I thought it relates to an extension of a building but is that an extension that has gained planning permission?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement

astrofluff wrote: »
    Yeah, the PSDP is certainly one to watch out for. But the PSDP does more than just preparing the Prelim H&S Plan, he/she sned in an AF1 form to the HSA, is the go-to with any safety/design changes during the course of the works and a safety file is put together at the end of the project. So quite a bit of work even for a small project.

Also, and not to overlook, is the PSCS requirement. This would probably be your builder - you'll need to check to see if they are competent which is tricky if you've never used a builder before. That's when you rely on professional advice from your appointed Architect/Building Surveyor/Engineer.

As your extension is of reasonable size, it will likely exceed the 30 days (or 500 man hours) therefore the legislation requires you to appoint both PSDP and PSCS in writing.

Just on the commencement notice, when is a short 7-day notice used again? From memory I thought it relates to an extension of a building but is that an extension that has gained planning permission?

7 day notices can only be lodged along with a fire safety certificate. So that restricts it to commercial and large multi unit residential, apartments for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ryanjcdub

Hello, I didn't want to duplicate so I said if post in this thread....we are currently preparing plans for a side extension of approx 25sq mts and inside renovation. We need planning permission but I have been told by an engineer that I need an assigned certifier as I have to get planning permission and therefore must submit a commencement notice. I have read the act and I was of the impression if would have to be greater than 40sq mts to require an assigned certifier? Am I incorrect, do I actually need an assigned certifier? Thanks in Advance

ryanjcdub wrote: »
    I have been told by an engineer that I need an assigned certifier...

You do not need an Assigned Certifier (or Design Certifier).
    I must submit a commencement notice...

Yes, you need to submit a Commencement Notice...but a notice 'without documentation'.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ryanjcdub

Thanks for that, I expect that the work they would have to do would be less therefore should cost less, would this be correct or is it a standard price ?

Thanks for that, I expect that the work they would have to do would be less therefore should cost less, would this be correct or is it a standard price ?

Don't be too quick to judge the engineer. He may be confused. Many are still getting to grips with the situation.

I'm doing a post grad dipolma at the moment and fully qualified architects in the course are still up in the clouds with what's required, so it may be an honest mistake.

But based in the info you have provided its planning, then CN using the short form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭RORY O CONNOR

If you are below 40 square meters, to the rear of the house, single storey then you do not need planning permission and as there is no planning permission in place or required you do not need to submit a commencement notice. You do not need an AS as you are below 40 square meters. Don't be conned by someone who says you do!

Any new addition to the property must be done in compliance with the current building regs and you should consider hiring an engineer to design and spec the concrete and steel structural elements and perhaps do some low scale supervision with a view to certifying the work as being in compliance with planning legislation in that ti it exempt and it is in compliance with building regs, particularly Part L. Make sure your builder understands the U values required for the floor, roof and walls as many are still building with hollow blocks and not enough insulation to achieve the required U values on the walls.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

DOCARCH wrote: »
    You do not need an Assigned Certifier (or Design Certifier).

Yes, you need to submit a Commencement Notice...but a notice 'without documentation'.
    Rory can you quote the post you're referring to, ta
    If you are below 40 square meters, to the rear of the house, single storey then you do not need planning permission and as there is no planning permission in place or required you do not need to submit a commencement notice. You do not need an AS as you are below 40 square meters. Don't be conned by someone who says you do!

Any new addition to the property must be done in compliance with the current building regs and you should consider hiring an engineer to design and spec the concrete and steel structural elements and perhaps do some low scale supervision with a view to certifying the work as being in compliance with planning legislation in that ti it exempt and it is in compliance with building regs, particularly Part L. Make sure your builder understands the U values required for the floor, roof and walls as many are still building with hollow blocks and not enough insulation to achieve the required U values on the walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭RORY O CONNOR

gIslands at the top of the page.

Advertisement