Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New icerink!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 headlikea

Thanks for that info, I didn't know that. No skating for 6 weeks then :(

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Rookey

Think of it as 6 weeks off ice conditioning:eek: I'm clutching at straws here for a positive........

I don't think there will be any problems in it opening up again in 6 weeks, it's been fairly busy over the summer and the junior ice hockey clubs and figure skating club are successful enough, I just wish I knew this earlier then I would have gone more regularly over the last few weeks (I have a membership card)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭cena

well castle knock have just got themselfs a skate shaper on site. I guess they brought it

Does anybody know why Santry closed? I'm on a mission and would love any info possible.

• Advertisement

I'm sure it will all come out and we'll all know soon enough. Keep an eye on the Ireland section in the International Hockey Forum's website, there's a link to it somewhere on page 12 of this thread. Mick seems to know what he's talking about because everything he's been predicting seems to be turning out to be accurate so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭kevin-46

Rookey wrote: »
    Does anybody know why Santry closed? I'm on a mission and would love any info possible.

i was training in santry for a month or 2 its not closed down its gettin done up they weren't making enough money with just hockey lads it will be open September, oct to us and the public ill kepp use posted if i hear more

I would love if that was the case.. The problem is the site is for lease again on daft.ie and I know some people who were asked to help with taking it apart inside. unfortunately it appears that our governing body in Ice hockey seem to be a bit backwards about coming forward (Irish Iceless hockey association). I would love if I were proved wrong but over the years it's always been the same s*1t and politics.... sorry rant over, it just really gets my back up!!!

Castleknock is closing for the six weeks. I asked them my self

just to be clear in case I gave anyone the wrong impression, I was talking about Santry in my rant above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 ExIIHA

It always puzzled me just what exactly people mean when they say "It's all Politics ".
    In my case I see something wrong and try to correct it. If I didn't that would be apathy, which has to be worse.
    Is there any other way to bring about an improvement other than Regime change.
    I would love to hear your opinions.

when I say politics when talking about a particular association I use that word because they remind me of stereotypical politicians. What I mean is rather than keeping people informed they hide away until there's no way to hide things anymore. So it was known to them about a month ago (could be more but I don't know) that Santry will close. They mentioned nothing to the public or to the people who pay association membership (maybe the special ones knew, who knows?). Maybe if people knew what the truth was when the IIHA knew the closure could have been prevented but we will never know. People ended up putting pieces together and finding out from people who knew others and so on and so on......
    I don't necessarily want to change the regime (maybe one or two in it:rolleyes:) but I honestly think rather than keeping everything to themselves all news and changes should be made public as soon as possible to give people the chance to help and give input. it's a small world and there's people out there who may actually know of others who can help/invest. I'm doing something at the moment but it's still in very early days, it may sound like I'm contradicting myself by not saying anything, but I'm one person and not a representative association. My research could take years but I'm in it now for the long haul so maybe the next generation will get a good chance to do something they love.
    Just out of curiosity would you know why the financial statements for 2011 and 2012 are not on their website and from 2004 - 2010 is? just an observation.....
    think my post is a bit off topic, I tend to get carried away

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭OU812

Little pissed off about the fact I paid association fees for the year & now I've eight months of them with nowhere to skate

Rookey wrote: »
    when I say politics when talking about a particular association I use that word because they remind me of stereotypical politicians. What I mean is rather than keeping people informed they hide away until there's no way to hide things anymore. So it was known to them about a month ago (could be more but I don't know) that Santry will close. They mentioned nothing to the public or to the people who pay association membership (maybe the special ones knew, who knows?). Maybe if people knew what the truth was when the IIHA knew the closure could have been prevented but we will never know. People ended up putting pieces together and finding out from people who knew others and so on and so on......
    I don't necessarily want to change the regime (maybe one or two in it:rolleyes:) but I honestly think rather than keeping everything to themselves all news and changes should be made public as soon as possible to give people the chance to help and give input. it's a small world and there's people out there who may actually know of others who can help/invest. I'm doing something at the moment but it's still in very early days, it may sound like I'm contradicting myself by not saying anything, but I'm one person and not a representative association. My research could take years but I'm in it now for the long haul so maybe the next generation will get a good chance to do something they love.
    Just out of curiosity would you know why the financial statements for 2011 and 2012 are not on their website and from 2004 - 2010 is? just an observation.....
    think my post is a bit off topic, I tend to get carried away

It wasn't always like that, momentum was built, we got the recognition of the IIHF and The Olympic Council. We were the vonderkidz, the success story in World Hockey believe it or not. Relationships with the powers that be, and a rink were built, then it was spirited away into private ownership, World Championship hosting was secured and the finances spirited away again to the rink's backers, leagues were organised and the same few people tried to make that a cash cow too, 2 more rinks, a lot of intrigue, electronic mail tampering, and a little vote rigging later and this is where we find ourselves.
    Before a drunk can recover they have to be left alone to hit rock bottom without somebody making it ok for them to go out and get drunk again, before a building can be rebuilt the foundations have to be secured and the rubble removed, before Ice Hockey can start to recover here there has to be regime change.

@ OU812 - I know it's a lot smaller but Caskleknock is still ice....

I have to laugh, the under 18 tryouts, not bad players at all but 9 of them tried out! I can understand that as not many people have the money to travel 2 hours north for their kids practice....

ExIIHA - I completely agree with what you say. but for as long as I care to remember attitudes have stayed the same where the people who are long in the game give out yet nothing is done. I know there's one or two out there trying to expose the crap in the association and fair play. At the end of the day all I want is a decent size rink where our national players can train, leagues can happen and most of all people can do what they love doing.

Strange that I posted last night and yet I can't see it here ???
    I basically said to Rookey that now is his opportunity to do something about the IIHA as there are hints on the IIHA site that they are being bounced into a position where they will soon have to hold an AGM to comply with company law.
    There is also mention of an EGM so they can stack the odds in their favour in order to manipulate the AGM that follows. There is more info on the International Forum site which is now back operating having been downed in suspicious circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭sh1tin-a-brick

What's the story with the "Learn To Play" programmes that were supposedly on in the new ice rink? Seems they aren't running now :/

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

There aren't any rinks to run them on, that's why. Read this thread for more info.

Wisco wrote: »
    There aren't any rinks to run them on, that's why. Read this thread for more info.

Castleknock will return, and in the shorter term keep an eye out for the Christmas rink in Dundrum, scheduled to open early October.
    What the position is with hockey there is not yet clear.:cool:

Hopefully Castleknock will re-open mid October. Dundrum on Ice seems to be opening soon enough, here's a link to their facebook page though it doesn't say exactly when it will open : http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dundrum-On-Ice/139478129433448

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Diageio_Man

dundrum on ice is opening next week, theres not a hope of playing hockey on it though.

Do they allow hockey in Dundrum? Hope Castleknock stays on schedule :)

Never mind, just saw Diageio's post. Too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 buki9

hey Lads.
    I would like to say hello to everybody!!
    I'm new over here , and dont be mad on me if i ask u something what u really good to know.

I would like to ask u about the ice rinks. Is there any chance to build them more ?? maybe it is a sense to visite goverments ?? or something like that ?? I already write do the IIHA with that same question .

I'm really pist off that the really greate sport like is Ice Hockey is not promoted in your country .

I'm so sorry my name is Bart. and i'm from poland. Just wanna get any informations , from u , from other people , what can we do to start training ice hockey on whole Ireland .
    :pac::pac::pac:
    I live in Naas right now and it is really big problem form me to go to the Dundalk for 1:20 min practice on ice . This is sick .

In the future i would like to organise tournament with couple amateur teams from poland .
    If u agree that we need to some changes , please help me with this :)

buki9 wrote: »
    hey Lads.
    I would like to say hello to everybody!!
    I'm new over here , and dont be mad on me if i ask u something what u really good to know.

I would like to ask u about the ice rinks. Is there any chance to build them more ?? maybe it is a sense to visite goverments ?? or something like that ?? I already write do the IIHA with that same question .

I'm really pist off that the really greate sport like is Ice Hockey is not promoted in your country .

I'm so sorry my name is Bart. and i'm from poland. Just wanna get any informations , from u , from other people , what can we do to start training ice hockey on whole Ireland .
    :pac::pac::pac:
    I live in Naas right now and it is really big problem form me to go to the Dundalk for 1:20 min practice on ice . This is sick .

In the future i would like to organise tournament with couple amateur teams from poland .
    If u agree that we need to some changes , please help me with this :)

Dundalk is closed dude. There a rink in Castleknock but well reopening up again soon.

Is there any chance to play ice hockey ??
    Normal ice with the lines and boards ?

is there any website to this Castleknock ??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Is there any chance to play ice hockey ??

Yes.
    Normal ice with the lines and boards ?

Nope.
    is there any website to this Castleknock ??

The website is pretty terrible. The Facebook page is a bit better.

yes the Facebook page is much better .
    Weird no lines for sure no goals . Then how to play :)
    How to make some team ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

yes the Facebook page is much better .
    Weird no lines for sure no goals . Then how to play :)
    How to make some team ? :)

They do have goals, just not in the photographs. There are some teams playing already, for example the Celtic Clovers.

419168_3553280436254_398280192_n.jpg

It's not NHL standard, but it is better than nothing.

• Advertisement

can u send me private message about teams in ireland and other clubs ... i'm fresh here :)

Advertisement