Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do you charge your phone at any percentage?

• 17-04-2014 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

I normally do when I'm at my computer; is it good or bad?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

euser1984 wrote: »
    I normally do when I'm at my computer; is it good or bad?

Thanks.

Yes, it's fine, just every so often let it drain completely until it shuts off.

Are you charging it from the usb on your computer? A computer can only deliver 500mA, a charger can be much more powerful, up to 2100mA, would charge it many times quicker

• Registered Users Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭Liamalone

It is widely thought that draining lithium batteries to zero damages the battery cells and is detrimental to the lifespan/charging capacity of said battery. I don't drain it flat just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

Lithium batteries don't need a full discharge. You're thinking of Ni-Cd, the technology before Ni-MH, which was before lithium...
    Lithium cells have a microchip built in (usually) to prevent over charge or over depletion (they don't like deep discharge).

Charge it at any percentage, leave it plugged in, doesn't matter.
    There might be a slight advantage to keeping the charge above 75%, it's academic, most people dump their phone before the battery becomes an issue.

Lithium batteries have approx 500 charge cycles or about 2.5 years shelf life, whichever is sooner (yes they'll last longer, but capacity will be lower).

Liamalone wrote: »
    It is widely thought that draining lithium batteries to zero damages the battery cells and is detrimental to the lifespan/charging capacity of said battery. I don't drain it flat just in case.

You cannot drain it flat, your phone shuts down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭euser1984

Thanks.

• Advertisement

You cannot drain it flat, your phone shuts down

Same thing

Same thing

No it's not, phone battery stats are not at all accurate. This article explains why your phone can drop a few percent after unplugging from a charger, the same principle applies to the lower end of the scale. When your phone shuts down because it thinks the battery is low could really be 10% or more

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=871051

No it's not, phone battery stats are not at all accurate. This article explains why your phone can drop a few percent after unplugging from a charger, the same principle applies to the lower end of the scale. When your phone shuts down because it thinks the battery is low could really be 10% or more

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=871051

Jeez, when I said run it flat I meant until the phone shut itself down, I could hardly run it any flatter once it has automatically turned off.

Jeez, when I said run it flat I meant until the phone shut itself down, I could hardly run it any flatter once it has automatically turned off.

That's what I mean, when your phone shuts down there could be 10% or more left in it, the stats are not accurate. Making it drain until is shuts down does no harm

That's what I mean, when your phone shuts down there could be 10% or more left in it, the stats are not accurate. Making it drain until is shuts down does no harm

In the link you provided, a post by a forum user on XDA, nowhere do I see reports of the battery level being more than what is displayed by the phone, it seems to always display more than what the battery is actually holding. Indeed, my old HTC Desire used to regularly shutdown at 12-15% as the battery was drained, I'm sceptical as to whether a phone will shutdown and there still be juice in the battery.

Anyway, it appears that discharging the battery fully is considered unhealthy for the battery:

taken from http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

''Similar to a mechanical device that wears out faster with heavy use, so also does the depth of discharge (DoD) determine the cycle count. The shorter the discharge (low DoD), the longer the battery will last. If at all possible, avoid full discharges and charge the battery more often between uses. Partial discharge on Li-ion is fine; there is no memory and the battery does not need periodic full discharge cycles to prolong life, other than to calibrate the fuel gauge on a smart battery once in a while.''

It is better to charge when you have the opportunity as it does no harm whereas depleting the battery 'fully' is not good for battery health.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭euser1984

Has anyone any information that they could provide in a synopis regarding where battery technology for phones is going?

My HTC One is annoying in that it beeps at 14% and in no time it is down at 8 and then 4, then off. It's ridiculous....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Check out the Battery University (I sh1t you not: www.batteryunversity.com) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭truedoom

i always charge it when it says to. So from under 15%. I figure samsung put enough R&D into the phone to know when would be the best time to charge the battery.

Sometimes if i know it won't last, i might charge it from 30% or 50% up to full, but that wouldn't be often.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I wouldn't worry about it with modern yokes - just charge away as you feel you need to. Having said that computer USB ports tend to charge them quite slowly, which is a good thing if you're in the habit of just leaving it plugged into it most of the day at the office, or wherever.

Advertisement