Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sony XPERIA Z2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

flazio wrote: »
    Firstly Vodafone's Facebook is claiming that the Z2 is going to be exclusive to their network
    leemaree wrote: »
    02 Ireland says to me there getting this phone.

Seems a bit odd that Vodafone would advertise it as exclusive to them if their biggest competitor was going to have it as well, maybe it's a case they'll have it exclusively for a period and then it'll been available from other companies. Been due an upgrade from eMobile since January and was hoping to get this, might phone them up and see if they/Meteor are planning to get it and if they are when.

Well spoke to the lads in Meteor/eMobile today and they seemed fairly certain they'd be getting the Xperia Z2 and that any exclusivity to Vodafone would likely be only a few weeks in length.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Dropped my phone today and screen shattered..... My contract with Meteor is up next month....

Is it worth switching JUST for this phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,803 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Dropped my phone today and screen shattered..... My contract with Meteor is up next month....

Is it worth switching JUST for this phone?

Apparently not as other providers are saying they will get this phone, just not as fast as Vodafone.
    Contract is up in 2 months, will see how video reviews (and this forum), rate the GS5, the X2 and the One Mate before deciding the next phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I need a new phone and need to change from an old plan, if only this and the S5 were out now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,803 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Get a cheap Prepay to tie you over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

flazio wrote: »
    Get a cheap Prepay to tie you over.

Oh it still works! Ha!!

Thinking long term is it worth the hassle of switching networks and all that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

delayed until May. Sure to hurt Sony a lot - with S5 and One M8 due out now ahead of it.

Sony can't meet demand for its new 4K-shooting flagship phone, with the Xperia Z2's general sale date being pushed back into May in the UK and Europe.

The Japanese company says it's "working tirelessly to maximise stock levels" of the new waterproof smartphone, but one online retailer is warning customers not to expect stock until 1 May. The phone had previously been expected to go on sale in mid-April.

"Xperia Z2 will be available in the UK during April and we are expecting to deliver to all consumers who have placed a pre-order through our key partners," a Sony spokesperson said in a statement. "We are working tirelessly to maximise stock levels in April but currently we do not expect to meet the high demand across all our sales channels."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Sony really know how to shoot themselves in the foot

Bad updates, bad communication, poor software on many phones and now just bad production logistics

Might go for the M8 now instead, only found out a day or two ago it'll take a micro-SD, assumed it was the same as the previous One and non-compatible. Camera is pretty much irrelevant to me.

• Advertisement

Android Authority has a new unboxing and first impressions article on the Z2 (with photos and videos).

They claim the indepth review is soon to follow.

Looking at it, I may just hold off for the Z2, instead of getting the One M8. It's looking good and there seems to be some interesting "bloat" apps (including a voicemail app).

As someone who spends a couple of hours a day on public transport the noise-cancelling earphones are a big draw (depending on how good they are in reality).

A root has also already been established.

I wouldn't agree with the reviewers about the white colour though. I think it looks horrible - black for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭garyegt

ill definitely be going for the z2 anyway, just waiting for it to release is the pain. my xperia s just doesnt meet my demands anymore.

can someone explain why people get so excited about the s5 and m8? i really fail to see any appeal about either device. m8 biggest seller is the metal body, but its not as well spec'd as the z2. i really dont get it

garyegt wrote: »
    ill definitely be going for the z2 anyway, just waiting for it to release is the pain. my xperia s just doesnt meet my demands anymore.

can someone explain why people get so excited about the s5 and m8? i really fail to see any appeal about either device. m8 biggest seller is the metal body, but its not as well spec'd as the z2. i really dont get it

Aesthetics, I generally dislike phones without physical keys because the end up being very thick at the bottom. Size could also be another consideration. Brand loyalty, software too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Uriel. wrote: »
    Android Authority has a new unboxing and first impressions article on the Z2 (with photos and videos).

They claim the indepth review is soon to follow.

Looking at it, I may just hold off for the Z2, instead of getting the One M8. It's looking good and there seems to be some interesting "bloat" apps (including a voicemail app).

As someone who spends a couple of hours a day on public transport the noise-cancelling earphones are a big draw (depending on how good they are in reality).

A root has also already been established.

I wouldn't agree with the reviewers about the white colour though. I think it looks horrible - black for me!

I wonder if those headphones will be with all editions or just the first batch.

I was really liking the black phone up until now, but that hands on video really makes the white versions look very nice.

I wonder if those headphones will be with all editions or just the first batch.

I was really liking the black phone up until now, but that hands on video really makes the white versions look very nice.

I've a feeling that in Ireland you'll pay top price and get a scaled down package - no headphones possibly and definitely no dock I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Check out this guys Flicker. He's posted the link up on XDA.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/louietran/13563446113/in/photostream/

Photos from the Z2 look quite good, not as disappoint as I first impressions from pre-release builds had suggested. Further on in the thread he started he posted up screenshots of battery life.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=51601746&postcount=40

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Seriously looking at Sony (this or possible Z3) as my next phone as I've found the Note 3 camera to be a relative overall disappointment despite the supposedly high specs.

So have there been any updated on when Irish stores/carriers will have this?

I'm looking to get a new phone in 2 weeks or so and if it's not out by then I may get the M8.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭brophy

spoke to tesco mobile yesterday and apparently they are waiting on a timeline from Sony anyone else any update?

As for three they said that they are not planning on stocking it.

Highly unlikely to see it until May, due to the stock shortage and the well down on the list of priority markets that we experience here.

Vodafone apparently has an exclusive window. And then will be available with other carriers (if they decide to stock it) - as far as I am aware no other carrier has confirmed that it will stock it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭batistuta9

will the irish networks already have the code and be branding this or will that push it back further

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭brophy

emobile said that they will stock it from June but no definite date.

This a joke really (Irish Phone Market) when carphone warehouse and phones4u in the UK will both have it for sale apparently by the 14th of this month.

brophy wrote: »
    emobile said that they will stock it from June but no definite date.

This a joke really (Irish Phone Market) when carphone warehouse and phones4u in the UK will both have it for sale apparently by the 14th of this month.

Can't really blame the irish phone market on this specific one. Sony have flagged that due to manufacturing supply chain problems initial stock will be very limited and so are only supplying their big customers(partners), as a priority. The Irish market is not big enough to warrant such priority.

Sony (perhaps through no fault of their own) may suffer greatly though because of this. With HTC One (M8) and S5 getting what might be a 4 - 6 week head start that won't do Sony many favours, particularly as they've adopted the strategy of reducing their upgrade cycle so as to prevent losing ground to the other companies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

The price discrepancy between Amazon UK and DE is bonkers. I've already pre-ordered from Clove, but I've added an order from Amazon DE now, it'd be €65 cheaper than Clove ex-VAT -- Clove is bundling a couple of things but I've no interest in them, they'd just end up on Adverts being bid on by swap-for-my-ad numbnuts.

I'll keep the Clove preorder active just in case, but I can't understand why it's so much cheaper in DE. I recently had a Sony head unit ordered on UK shipped from DE so I assume all Sony stuff is shipped from there, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't cost an extra €100....

rovoagho wrote: »
    The price discrepancy between Amazon UK and DE is bonkers. I've already pre-ordered from Clove, but I've added an order from Amazon DE now, it'd be €65 cheaper than Clove ex-VAT -- Clove is bundling a couple of things but I've no interest in them, they'd just end up on Adverts being bid on by swap-for-my-ad numbnuts.

I'll keep the Clove preorder active just in case, but I can't understand why it's so much cheaper in DE. I recently had a Sony head unit ordered on UK shipped from DE so I assume all Sony stuff is shipped from there, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't cost an extra €100....

What are the relevant prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭El Inho

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭El Inho

was at the launch, the 150€ will be with all Z2's and also you'll get yourself a copy of michael jacksons new album xscape...them bais in sony do the lot!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Uriel. wrote: »
    What are the relevant prices?

See page 2.

El Inho wrote: »
    was at the launch, the 150€ will be with all Z2's and also you'll get yourself a copy of michael jacksons new album xscape...them bais in sony do the lot!

You said the Z2 will be available later this month, do you have any specifics on that? (Late this month? Carriers?)

• Advertisement

Called into the Vodafone store in Dundrum this morning. Vodafone are getting the phone first and I was told it'll be the last Friday of April, so the 25th.

Advertisement