Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NDLS - National Driver Licence Service centres (Qs, waiting times, etc)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Thats crazy, I cant imagine what they are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Don't worry, just drive with your proof of application / payment for your license and no guard will bat an eye, they all know about the backlogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 talboy73

My husband and I both applied in the first week and have now received emails requesting we send information that was already collected at the centre (PPS, proof of address...).
    I phoned the number given in the email and was told that they are "only a call centre" for giving out information. Completely hopeless.
    Someone just actually phoned my husband and says that our information has been lost.

Anyone else with similar stories?

Can't believe we're paying so much for this 'service'.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Thats crazy, I cant imagine what they are doing.

nothing, clearly :pac: :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I was up there on Saturday and was told I'll get my licence in the post in 3 weeks. THREE ****ING WEEKS?!
    My girlfriend's mam got hers in 8 days. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

CianRyan wrote: »
    I was up there on Saturday and was told I'll get my licence in the post in 3 weeks. THREE ****ING WEEKS?!
    My girlfriend's mam got hers in 8 days. :eek:

We used to get new licences on the spot in the Tax Office in Cork, not sure what the story is with them now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Nothing surprises me when it comes to those idi*ts in the rsa. They seem to rush things through with out a second thought. This time it's come back to bite them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

We used to get new licences on the spot in the Tax Office in Cork, not sure what the story is with them now though.

You must go to Copley street in the city, I went up there today and seen the que of about 70 people in front of me so I fcuked off again. Its a fair joke of a place with no parking or signs to point you to the building. .

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭kevin65

Different organisation, same old sh*it it looks like. My licence took 6 weeks to process in Galway County Council. Looks like these new centres won't be too far behind.

If you have to take the trouble to physically call into these centres to renew your licence, why can't they process it on the spot. I mean, how long would it take?

The queues and delays for practically every service in this country. As Mick the Bull said 'if they brought in abortion into this country there would be 9 month waiting list'

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

My girlfriend's mam got hers in 8 days.

To be fair, they're probably giving out "worst case scenario" times with the hope of getting them out sooner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Liam90

When I went to the NDLS centre in Wicklow it was an absolute shambles and waited about 2 hours, however my license arrived in one week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

BuffyBot wrote: »
    To be fair, they're probably giving out "worst scenario" times with the hope of getting them out sooner.

There is nothing fair about another government quango soaking up taxpayers cash and providing a bad service.

There is absolutely no reason licences can't be produced there and then.

2 to 3 hours typical waiting time is just ridiculous then be told it will take weeks to be posted out.

I didn't say it was right :)

However, the old Customer Service adage applies: underpromise and over-deliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

I didn't say it was right :)

However, the old Customer Service adage applies: underpromise and over-deliver.
    If it's broke don't make it worse.
    That's exactly what they done, they made the process worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭copperhead

advertsfox wrote: »
    Don't worry, just drive with your proof of application / payment for your license and no guard will bat an eye, they all know about the backlogs.

im waiting to get my hgv licence back. i had a job lined up but it looks like thats gone now thanks to NDLS :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

copperhead wrote: »
    im waiting to get my hgv licence back. i had a job lined up but it looks like thats gone now thanks to NDLS :mad:

Im in the same boat albeit the coach licence, its fcukin ridiculous. .:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 16 abrushka

I went to the Leopardstown centre first thing Monday morning. I arrived at 08:30 and was the first person there. About 10 people were in the Q by the time it opened at 9am. I was in and out within 10 minutes.

I called the helpline today and they have said that due to the backlog it will take between 8 and 15 days working days to process. I am hoping that this is the extent of the delay as I badly need the license before the new year as I will be driving abroad with work.

It is an improvement on the previous service, in that an applicant can at least track the progress of their application. Hopefully, an application can be expeditied also if it becomes urgent.

I went to Santry at 12pm last Satuday and it was chaos. My advice would be to get to a centre first thing on a weekday, if possible, to avoid the Q's.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

copperhead wrote: »
    Truckermal wrote: »
    Im in the same boat albeit the coach licence, its fcukin ridiculous. .:mad:

Complete joke lads - unacceptable.

Btw - has anyone successfully used NDLS to change licence in a centre outside of the county they reside in.

Father needs a new licence - and there is a centre in another county that's the same distance as the nearest centre in our own county - but the centre in the other county is far more convienient to us

AFAIK you can use any centre you like.

AFAIK you can use any centre you like.

Had heard this - and in fact was told this by an NDLS person yesterday - but it just seemed too good to be true :).

For us the option is to go somewhere in the middle of the city - or go to a much more convienient location just outside a town in a shopping centre type location (no issues with parking or traffic).

Although mileage is the same or not much difference anyway - I reckon the more convienient option would save the best part of 40 minutes to an hour in traveling time with city traffic and parking taken into account.

And theres somewhere to eat etc not too far away in the shopping centre.

Think I know what option we will go with - :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭GavMan

Strange. thought the TV ad implied it got done there and then...

GavMan wrote: »
    Strange. thought the TV ad implied it got done there and then...

It also doesn't show the long queues at the centres ;) - and everyones all smiles and generally glad to be there.

Doubt that will match up with reality somehow - but would be delighted to be proven wrong lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3 katlady82

The problem when you go to a smaller centre is that there's only one camera and one person working there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Old diesel wrote: »
    Btw - has anyone successfully used NDLS to change licence in a centre outside of the county they reside in?

I submitted renewal application in Nenagh co. tipperary last saturday. no problems. I live in galway. (don't ask!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

abrushka wrote: »

It is an improvement on the previous service, in that an applicant can at least track the progress of their application. Hopefully, an application can be expeditied also if it becomes urgent.

Does anybody know how you track your driving licence application? I can't find it anywhere on ndls.ie

D Trent wrote: »
    I submitted renewal application in Nenagh co. tipperary last saturday. no problems. I live in galway. (don't ask!)

Good to know - the out of county option for my father means the following :D

40 minutes or so (estimated) saving on travel time even with mileage been the same - due to avoiding city traffic.

Centre going by the address seems to be in a shopping centre type location - so easier parking - and I know theres somewhere to go for a bite to eat nearby.

It just outside the town - so avoiding most of the traffic :D.

Great thus to see successful applications in centres outside applicants home county - thanks a million for the feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭homingbird

Once everyone has the new licence are they going to close down these centers as they wont be needed anymore you will get your renewal through the post . Save the taxpayers money paying them wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

homingbird wrote: »
    Once everyone has the new licence are they going to close down these centers as they wont be needed anymore you will get your renewal through the post . Save the taxpayers money paying them wages.

After everyone gets them?
    Like, in a few hundred reads when we don't drive cars anymore?

You seem to be forgetting about a very large group of people, much larger than the ones simply renewing their licence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 325 ✭✭finix

Anyone know where in Omni is the driving licence office ?
    All I can get online is unit 238 ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

First floor (or second depending on how you count levels) over the perfume shop I think.

If you're at the sky stand, there is a sign by the lift & stairs

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement