Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nexus 5

Options
  • 20-08-2013 11:51am
    Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭

Pure speculation thread at this point, but since I intend the N5 to be my next phone if possible it's a topic I have a vested interest in.

Possible leaked photo of the back here, but taken with the usual pinch of salt of course. I'm hoping that if this is a genuine picture that white won't be the only colour as I much prefer darker coloured phones.

nexus_5_0.jpg

This article says it will be a slightly less powerful version of the current LG flagship essentially, but we haven't had official confirmation from LG that they are manufacturing it even. I guess if the low price point is to be maintained, then some compromises have to be made, although I am disappointed that the N5 wouldn't be a market leader type phone, even for a few months. It would still be a significant upgrade from my current Galaxy Nexus though which is starting to slow down more and more now it seems.
    A device which could be the Google Nexus 5 has leaked onto the web.

The device, which is seen lying face down on a table, bears LG branding but no other markings to speak of. It’s coloured white, has a metallic surround and what appears to be a smooth, glossy texture. The camera is at the top of the back panel centrally positioned in not too dissimilar a fashion to the LG G2 flagship but crucially it lacks the controls seen on LG’s own device and instead has a power and volume rocker along the left-hand side (if you were looking at the display).

The image, which cropped up on Techtastic, came from an anonymous LG tester, who also described the device as the ‘Nxs5’. Previous reports have strongly suggested LG will be behind the Nexus 5 after its success with the Nexus 4, but LG has gone on record saying that although it enjoyed being involved in the Nexus 4 project it has no plans to repeat the partnership. Of course, saying it doesn’t make it so, just the same as when HTC said it wasn’t making a Nexus Edition HTC One, what it actually meant was ‘yes’.

Such reports have also implied the Nexus 5 will be a tweaked and re-branded LG G2 with the rear buttons removed and it looks as though that’s exactly what we’ve got here.

Techtastic speculates that the Nexus 5 may trade in the LG G2’s Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 quad-core chip for a cheaper and less power-hungry Snapdragon 600. Meanwhile the 13-megapixel camera with optical image stabilisation (OIS) may get the boot in favour of a 10-megapixel setup, perhaps similar to what we’ve seen on the Motorola Moto X. A Clear Pixel camera perhaps? There’s no word on whether the OIS would stay though. Apparently the idea is to try and keep the Nexus 5’s cost down to somewhere in the region of the Nexus 4’s affordable tag, though we’d expect it’d cost a wee bit more on the display alone.

It’s also been put forward that the Nexus 5 will be the debut handset for Google’s Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie build which is thought to be arriving in October.

Anyone else been holding out for this iteration of the Nexus line?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

LG arent making the next nexus phone

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

If that's what the Nexus 5 will look like, I'll pass. Hate plastic covers..

• Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

godtabh wrote: »

Who is then? Despite any denials I've seen things I've read still point to them being the most likely. There has been nothing to suggest so far that it would be Motorola as far as I've seen.

godtabh wrote: »

All rumours are pointing to LG again. I think you might be confused with Samsung not making the next Nexus 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

i was holding out for the nexus 5 but caved and got the HTC one the weekend. Very happy with it as its a cracking phone and the screen is very decent upgrade. I was previously happy with my galaxy nexus but the uprgade was burning a hole in my pocket...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Very interested in this too. How much of the Modo X and it's always on/ready features do people think will make it's way into the next Nexus as they are both essentially a Google Phone.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

That article is form May though, any article form July/August will tell you it seems to be LG.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

If it is lte capable and lte is implemented in Ireland I will consider it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

That is a Jiayu G4. HTC One Copied the Jiayu G3.
    Nexus 4 much better looking phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭emo72

oh dear, so stop holding on and just grab a nexus 4 instead? im due a phone and my missus has the nexus 4 and it seems a great phone. the leaks seem to be all about keeping the price down.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I like the current N4, only complaint is that is a tad too big. That back cover looks absolutely horrendous, really hope that is not it. Looks cheap and tacky like the Samsung Galaxy phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

Different image has appeared in a Google Promo video.
    Picture is from MKBHD twitter account.
    BTRxWQHIQAAQoP5.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

That looks fecking humongous. The N4 is big enough, even a little bit too big.

EGriff wrote: »

I don't think we can assume that this is the finished article, or that it will even have that same matte finish (what if it's metal with a powdered black paint finish?). These days however it seems that flagship phones from Samsung, HTC and Sony are all pretty huge having displays that are anywhere between 4.7" and almost 6".

While I agree that a phone screen doesn't need to be more than 5" I believe this will be 5.2" at most considering the specifications of the Lg G2. If this is the case I'll probably be buying, even though I just picked up a N4 on the cheap here in Canada. Anyway, I won't be making too many damning judgements just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

EGriff wrote: »

I agree, the N4 is already too big and a struggle to use with one hand at times. When you compare the size of the phone he's holding to the woman with the N4 beside him, then it looks a lot bigger. Hopefully it's just a case of him being closer to the camera that makes it look bigger. Any bigger than the N4 would be stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Not seeing a speaker on the back there. That's good news. Don't really mind a bit bigger myself.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

A 5" screen would be fine I'd imagine. It's one I am looking to try and get my hands on anyhow for sure, unless it is ridiculously underpowered or way too big.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

A 5.2" screen would hurt the popularity of the Nexus 7 somewhat I assume?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

A 5.2" screen would hurt the popularity of the Nexus 7 somewhat I assume?

Hard to say as we don’t know the specs but I think it could. I’m a first gen Nexus 7 owner and can imagine a 5 inch Nexus phone gaining more of my casual browsing time. I’m interested in it as I’d like to combine my 4 inch phone and Nexus 7. I’m 6’2’ so not worried about the phone being too big for me, however I know it would look huge in the small hands of my girlfriend.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Interestingly didn't a poster a couple of weeks ago say he was out with some Googler(s) and he/they had a Nexus 5 and it had a matte black back and was bigger?

He did alright, and I believe him - my mate (ex-googler) had the Galaxy Nexus S and Xoom tablet about 3 or 4 months before they were released so it's extremely plausible...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

To be completely honest, at the time I was very sceptical. I would have thought they'd have to keep them under wraps and wouldn't be allowed to show them to people.

Seeing as they've announced 4.4 and this image "leaked" do people think we'll be waiting until mid-November for a release like the Nexus 4 or could it come sooner?

They aren't "supposed" to show off anything NDA wise - but of course being a pair of nerds and he is one of my closest mates I got a look and a play of it - he didn't even work in the Android division or anything but for his role he could request what he wanted off them tech wise and he got it "for testing"... :-)

I'd say it could be in November, but Google are a strange bunch, it could be out next week either for all we know!

:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

He did indeed, and a few friends of mine in Google have had a shot at it too. But I thought they said it was a 5" device.

I'm not surprised it's by LG, Google like to move from manufacturer now and then.

LG is an obvious move, they have a similar design style to Samsung, but are less cocky and powerful in the market, so it works very well for both parties.

LG get's extra advertising from Google, and Google get's a bit more influence than they would have had with Samsung or Asus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Kinda square like a Sony. But looks like the LG logo on the back.
    Would not mind it being that big if it had forward fireing speakers..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

god's toy wrote: »
    Kinda square like a Sony. But looks like the LG logo on the back.
    Would not mind it being that big if it had forward fireing speakers..

If it's LG then they'll probably round off the corners a bit to suit their own style.

Advertisement