Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

LUXOBARGE (sub5k) of the week/day

Options
  • 07-06-2013 4:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭

Well, since we got the Bangernomics and Fixer upper threads, why not do a luxobarge thread?

Luxobarge requirements:
    Price: Max €5k (updated by moderator)
    Tax: Irrelevant :D

View2-19179037.jpeg
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4894312

1998 Lexus IS 400. 4.0 V8 280hp. All yours for €1,795.
    No mention of NCT though :(

View2-20349427.jpeg
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4979433

2002 BMW 735i. A tiny bit over budget, but definitely yours for under €4k.
    And it's freshly NCTed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

There were separate Luxo and Banger threads for a spell a while back - didn't work and it all got put together again, kinda like Humpty Dumpty. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    There were separate Luxo and Banger threads for a spell a while back - didn't work and it all got put together again, kinda like Humpty Dumpty. ;)
    I preferred the separate threads.. there is a big difference between the bangernomics Scooby I bought and the luxobarge 740i I bought (forsale soon probably). Pricing is one thing; I think the under EUR4k bracket is perfect but whatever is given away at under 1k sure isnt luxurious. Class of car is the other, which speaks for itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Those 7s look very cheap. Whats the catch? Why isnt evryone driving them in the UK where tax is low? What kind of realistic mpg would one get?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

lomb wrote: »
    Those 7s look very cheap. Whats the catch?

The E65? They're fugly! ;)

lomb wrote: »
    Those 7s look very cheap. Whats the catch? Why isnt evryone driving them in the UK where tax is low? What kind of realistic mpg would one get?
    Most people consider them the E38's younger but uglier and less reliable sibling. MPG varies per engine, you can get them in a 730d format.. but eww diesel in 7 series (and also another mark against reliability). Get LPG if you want cheap running costs, the boot in both the E38 and E65 is masssssive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

View2-16398367.jpeg
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4337960

Fair bit of NCT left, €3,250 for a 2002 Jaguar XJ8...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/5058893

BMW 840Ci with loads of test, should come within budget with a little haggling.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Those wheels are criminal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The 8 series is criminal! (though I'm not as appalled now as I was when they were new)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

mike65 wrote: »
    The 8 series is criminal! (though I'm not as appalled now as I was when they were new)

:eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I thought it was ugly as sin, slab sided monster. The back end is still a horror, the truncated style can work but doesn't on this car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Heresy!

850csi being one of my Euromillions cars I must take offence!

Ordinarily I'd say each to their own, but this is simply incorrect!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

couple years back there were loads of complaints about 735i,to say the least they didn't produce them long afterwards,there was a show fifth gear or something,where a guy couldn't get his car out for more then couple days before something stopped working,most of it was to do with inside electronics,phone not working and many other issues that had no end to it,Also its one of the ugliest bmw fronts ever made just horrible lights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    The E65? They're fugly! ;)

Yep. They were suffering horrendous depreciation even pre-recession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

I thought it was ugly as sin, slab sided monster. The back end is still a horror, the truncated style can work but doesn't on this car.

Car magazine would have agreed with you, I remember they gave it an awful doing when it first came out, saying it was the wrong kind of car for the more environmentally conscious '90s. I also remember Clarkson comparing it unfavourably to the Ferrari 348 in Performance Car magazine (now defunct).

In Ireland these cars were rare as hens' teeth when they first came out, remember seeing Ben Dunne's 850 then Frank Keane's yellow one around the same time, then I didn't see one for years.

I'd gladly part with both testicles for Matt Simis' CSi. Penis too, sure I'd never need it again.

rovoagho wrote: »
    I'd gladly part with both testicles for Matt Simis' CSi. Penis too, sure I'd never need it again.

Not sure why you think I want your man bits though.. :p

Just for you Mike65 :D

th_CarwithFuelTankBackgroundpostHDRMonopostBlue_zps1f142c2b.jpgth_RearSurreal_zps34a196bf.jpgth_BWBackAngle_zps29031b75.jpg

The CSi version isnt a luxobarge though.

To the point of the thread, two 540i's, one a cheap drift car (swap for "smoke machine"!?):

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/5067197
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/5116145

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

^^If you ever want to sell the 850, you've got your "half in a lake" shots sorted. ^^

Just kidding, awesome car brah :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Yakuza wrote: »
    ^^If you ever want to sell the 850, you've got your "half in a lake" shots sorted. ^^

Just kidding, awesome car brah :)

nobody ever 'wants' to sell an 850.

• Advertisement

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Not sure why you think I want your man bits though.. :p

Ah now I didn't say I'd give them to you. To charity perhaps. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭THall04

THall04 wrote: »

that car has been on ads on carzone/donedeal for more than a year, either the market really is that bad or that car is hiding some problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

• Registered Users Posts: 28,664 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

that car has been on ads on carzone/donedeal for more than a year, either the market really is that bad or that car is hiding some problems.

15 year old 5.4L petrol BMW? Not surprising really in a market obsessed with "new" and "diesel" and "less than 2L/cheap tax"

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    15 year old 5.4L petrol BMW? Not surprising really in a market obsessed with "new" and "diesel" and "less than 2L/cheap tax"

Id gladly take it for 1500 quid, but not nearly 4k , if it was 00-01 (final run , post facelift with xenons and nav) It would almost be worth the money in my book though.

Id gladly take it for 1500 quid, but not nearly 4k , if it was 00-01 (final run , post facelift with xenons and nav) It would almost be worth the money in my book though.

Yeah a 750i is nice, but its not worth the premium they are gunning for.

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Yeah a 750i is nice, but its not worth the premium they are gunning for.

not when you consider the 740i remapped is faster and cheaper to maintain 1/2 the ECU's and 4 less plugs/coils to contend with. The V12 is a lovely block in the 850 but cant be justified in the 7 series for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

rocky wrote: »
    Ah heyor! This is only page 2 of the thread and already its getting like bangernomics where a money limit is set, and people insist on blowing that out of the water :rolleyes:

Someone asking €5400 is not going to drop below €4k in a hurry!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

View2-20129211.jpeg
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/5076268

Merc S500 with fresh NCT... All yours for €3,750.

Full-19091686.jpeg
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4876966

1998 740i. I know the car, and it was in decent nick last year (it's been a while). Probably would be able to take it away for €2k.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement