Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Top Gear is back - Sunday 27th January

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I liked it. though i do watch it as entertainment program, not a CAR Bible... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,408 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

People complain when they don't do cars and people complain when they do do cars.

• Site Banned Posts: 236 ✭✭vader65

I liked it. though i do watch it as entertainment program, not a CAR Bible... :pac:

That's the only reason I watch it, it can sometimes be funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Why do people complain about them not doing things like hot hatches, then when they do hot hatches, people complain they don't do super cars?
    AAGH!

I liked it, I want the Megane.
    In gold!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

^^ Exactly.

People come on here and moan and complain when all they do is drive nice cars around the place and when they do a semi-normal episode they complain that it's boring and nothing happens. Kia make excellent cars these days so it's no problem for them to be ''sponsoring'' an episode of Top Gear.

Unreal, you can't please everyone but I think Top Gear has been good so far since the new season started.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

That is something I'd love to see. Wonder will it ever happen? There is a lot of badgering Jeremy Clarkson on twitter to get him on. Someday who knows.

It why not do a rally driver special and round up a few of the top names for a day, I'm sure they could get a whole episode out of that one.
    That would be legend!
    pippip wrote: »
    Jenson's was a dry lap? no W beside his name?
    Jenson's first time was dry, but the 1:44.7 time was wet, similar enough conditions to Hamilton's 1:44.7 time.

Also worth noting that the Liana Hamilton drove was a different car to the one Vettel drove.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭barney 20v

When is the Nile/Africa episode coming on?? Hamster has a wrx Subaru and i'm interested in how it copes with the wilds!

• Site Banned Posts: 236 ✭✭vader65

Tea 1000 wrote: »

Also worth noting that the Liana Hamilton drove was a different car to the one Vettel drove.

I know, thats really frustrating! Hamiltion is an idiot, he just winds me up so much.

vader65 wrote: »
    I know, thats really frustrating! Hamiltion is an idiot, he just winds me up so much.
    Me too. He whinges about Vettel having the fastest car. When he had it he made a meal of winning his only title, at least Vettel used his opportunity effectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

A bit of anti Hamilton bias there lads. Vettel is well known to complain about things too. Alonso, Kimi, Scumacher are/were the same. They are perfectionist in their sport and it hurts them when they get beaten. That's whats drives them to be so successful.

Back on the topic of Top Gear. Would Clarkon ever stop saying "c apostrophe eed"? It's really annoying and wasn't even that funny the first time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Barry Barry

Missed the first 15 minutes of this today, enjoyed the rest.

The front end of the Mestrotta looks decent but the rear end is hideous, looks like a horrible aftermarket bumper from Halfords or something.

What Fords would that 2.0 turbo engine be in, does anyone know?

recyclebin wrote: »
    A bit of anti Hamilton bias there lads. Vettel is well known to complain about things too. Alonso, Kimi, Scumacher are/were the same. They are perfectionist in their sport and it hurts them when they get beaten. That's whats drives them to be so successful.

Back on the topic of Top Gear. Would Clarkon ever stop saying "c apostrophe eed"? It's really annoying and wasn't even that funny the first time.
    Ya, there is a fair whack of anti-Hamilton alright, the fact remains that he's no doubt in the top 4 quickest on the grid for outright pace. Vettel whinges alright, but Hamilton really makes himself unpopular with comments like "monkeys at the back" and all his twitter saga's.

Missed the first 15 minutes of this today, enjoyed the rest.

The front end of the Mestrotta looks decent but the rear end is hideous, looks like a horrible aftermarket bumper from Halfords or something.

What Fords would that 2.0 turbo engine be in, does anyone know?
    The Mondeo has a 240bhp option in the 2 litre.
    I missed some of the Mestrotta piece, what bhp has that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Barry Barry

240hp according to this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mastretta_MXT
    The 2011 serial-production MXT will be powered by a [3] 2.0 litre inline-4 with more than 240 hp (180 kW), turbocharger and aftercooling allowing it to reach over 230 km/h (143 mph) on top speed.[4]

250BHP, so that'd be right I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

barney 20v wrote: »
    When is the Nile/Africa episode coming on?? Hamster has a wrx Subaru and i'm interested in how it copes with the wilds!

thats what i am looking forward too. Though knowing Top Gear it will catch fire 5 minutes in to the whole show :D. Then all subarus will get a mark as most unreliable car, ever! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

^^^
    The bit in bold .....
    sorry, does not compute.

Great-deals-on-musical-instruments..jpeg

OK maybe not the correct use of words in this case, right wing bigot would have been more appropriate. Of course he's not going to have any racists sentiments against Hamilton because he's a F1 driver and he's British.
    But Clarkson is a racist & has a history of racist remarks

These are just a few;

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2011/12/30/jeremy-clarkson-accused-racism-india-top-gear-special_n_1175914.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/9247835/Jeremy-Clarkson-claims-airport-delays-could-be-solved-with-a-bit-of-racism.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxrC3HihzX8

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/clarkson-sees-nothing-wrong-with-his-racist-views-1128836.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

PWEI wrote: »
    OK maybe not the correct use of words in this case, right wing bigot would have been more appropriate. Of course he's not going to have any racists sentiments against Hamilton because he's a F1 driver and he's British.
    But Clarkson is a racist & has a history of racist remarks

These are just a few;

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2011/12/30/jeremy-clarkson-accused-racism-india-top-gear-special_n_1175914.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/9247835/Jeremy-Clarkson-claims-airport-delays-could-be-solved-with-a-bit-of-racism.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxrC3HihzX8

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/clarkson-sees-nothing-wrong-with-his-racist-views-1128836.html

That bad man Clarkson! being an intolerate bigot and hateful man ! if only he would toe the line and believe everything i do think the same way i do the world would be a far more tolerant place for people who think like me and only like me other wise they are a racist and bigot cause my way of thinking is the only true right way in our tolerant utopia :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

CianRyan wrote: »
    Why do people complain about them not doing things like hot hatches, then when they do hot hatches, people complain they don't do super cars?
    AAGH!

I liked it, I want the Megane.
    In gold!

But then you'd end up with a Renault!:eek:;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

166man wrote: »
    Where can this be watched online? Missed last nights episodes unfortunately. Cheers
    bbc iplayer

• Advertisement

But then you'd end up with a Renault!:eek:;):p

I'd suffer the electricals for that road handling. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

If I had the cash, there is no way I'd buy a Kia over the other popular models with such little differerence in the price. No way could I be swayed unless it was about €3000 less.

1/ Golf 2/ Civic 3/Auris 4/Focus 5/Mazda3 All these are better cars and would retain a higher resale value. Anyone who would buy a new Kia at that price who need their head examined.

If I had the cash, there is no way I'd buy a Kia over the other popular models with such little differerence in the price. No way could I be swayed unless it was about €3000 less.

1/ Golf 2/ Civic 3/Auris 4/Focus 5/Mazda3 All these are better cars and would retain a higher resale value. Anyone who would buy a new Kia at that price who need their head examined.
    You'd have to drive it to see for sure.

You'd have to drive it to see for sure.

Good point but in fairness The Golf/Civic are unbeatable in this class period and the others are not far behind.

You would have to be given a big discount to buy one.

Good point but in fairness The Golf/Civic are unbeatable in this class period and the others are not far behind.

Seven year warrenty will get the punters in.

kneemos wrote: »
    Seven year warrenty will get the punters in.

It will help but most manufacturers give at least 3 years, and most buyers in the current climate can afforded to change every few years. A 3 year old Golf, Civic or Auris is far more desirable than a KIA.

Unfortunately I cannot and maybe a 3 years old Kia with 4 year warranty in 2016 will be a real alternative. Secondhand is a better option with the lower resale value.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

The Ford Focus of the time has always been a superior car to the Golf of the time. Not sure about the Civic.

The Ford Focus of the time has always been a superior car to the Golf of the time. Not sure about the Civic.

The Focus and the Golf were always frightfully underpowered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

The 1.4 in the Focus was horrible. The 1.6 in both the Focus and Golf wasn't that bad. 98bhp and 100bhp respectively IIRC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Between a golf focus and civic id always go civic.

Advertisement