Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Experience Japan Festival Day 2013

• 17-01-2013 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

7th April 2013 from 12 to 4pm at Farmleigh House & Estate in the Phoenix Park

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Oh that might be fun!
    Thanks for the info.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Definitely going to try make it to this, raging I missed it last year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭TAPA2012

It looks really good this year!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

I really have to make this years. I've missed it every year so far due to one reason or another.

Looks pretty sweet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I've stickied the thread just so people can be more aware of it. Perhaps have a little boards meet up at it?

Is there a Sake bar we can meet at? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭shindig-jp

Perhaps have a little boards meet up at it?

Funny, I was thinking the same , as a foodie I'm wondering if it was allowed to bring a little beer and sake and trust we get sunshine to enjoy a real Phoenix Park Hanami .

shindig-jp wrote: »
    Funny, I was thinking the same , as a foodie I'm wondering if it was allowed to bring a little beer and sake

I don't see why you couldn't do that.

Do they not supply food and drink there?
    I would have thought that was the perfect place to sell sake and onigiri.

Beruthiel wrote: »

I don't see why you couldn't do that.

Do they not supply food and drink there?
    I would have thought that was the perfect place to sell sake and onigiri.

There are stands selling various Japanese delicacies I think but I'm not sure about alcohol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Will come along come hell or high water! The Irish Dancing World Championships are have clashed with this every year so far but not this year woot woot! Can't wait.

Also, mod note: I moved TAPA2012's sake question as I feel its deserving of its own thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MomijiHime

I'm trying to convince my mom to drive me up to Dublin to go to the hanami festival, I haven't gone before but I think it looks really exciting! I don't think I'd be able to go to the meetup though, I'm still too young to go to Dublin on my own, let alone drink sake!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

You're never too young to drink sake.

You're never too young to drink sake.

I am when my mom is with me

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

There are stands selling various Japanese delicacies I think but I'm not sure about alcohol.

Sounds like they're desperately crying out for someone to come along unannounced with their own sake stall.

See you there folks! :pac:

Lets hope the weather improves drastically in one week.
    I don't fancy being knee deep in snow during cherry blossom season!

I'm looking forward to hearing these guys!

/Edit - more info:

• Taiko drum performances
    • Martial Arts demonstrations
    • Music performances with a fusion of Japanese and Irish performances
    • Origami and kite making craft workshops for children
    • Yo-Yo fishing and other fun activities for children
    • Cosplay fashions framed with traditional Kimono displays
    • Photographic competition
    • Japanese art workshop
    • Soran Bushi dancing
    • Japanese food stalls
    • Seminars on Japanese Food, Animation and Japanese Art

btw - If you see me, come and say hi.

One
    Two

Only Mods have access to those links.
    Sorry, I don't wish to post my pic in a public place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

^^ Convenient enough day to get added to the mod team :p

Hoping to see Imelda Sushi hair styles on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭hibby

^^ Convenient enough day to get added to the mod team :p

Congrats!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭hibby

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Lets hope the weather improves drastically in one week.
    I don't fancy being knee deep in snow during cherry blossom season!

I'm looking forward to hearing these guys!

/Edit - more info:

• Taiko drum performances
    • Martial Arts demonstrations
    • Music performances with a fusion of Japanese and Irish performances
    • Origami and kite making craft workshops for children
    • Yo-Yo fishing and other fun activities for children
    • Cosplay fashions framed with traditional Kimono displays
    • Photographic competition
    • Japanese art workshop
    • Soran Bushi dancing
    • Japanese food stalls
    • Seminars on Japanese Food, Animation and Japanese Art

It sounds great! I'm sorry to miss it. On the other hand, the reason I'll miss it is that I'm in Japan, so I shouldn't feel too sorry for myself! :D

But I definitely want to go next year, when I'm back in Ireland, and will probably feel all nostalgic about Japan.

Well, did any of ye turn up? I was there from 11.30 to about 14.30 and had time for some tasty okonomiyaki before it kicked off.
    Thoroughly enjoyed it. Especially the taiko drums and soran bushi dance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,030 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Was there for an hour or so. Didn't really think there was much going on TBH, and by the time we got there the queues were way too long for food. The displays we caught weren't the most inspiring either. We did leave before the main event stuff started.

Still, was good to see such a large crowd at it, definitely seemed like a big success for the organisers. Hopefully the film fest next week will be as popular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

I was there too, from 12 till 4! Place was crazy busy though - great to see so many people at the event but I couldn't find anyone as a result!

It was my first time at Experience Japan this year and I loved it. My boyfriend and housemate came with me and we all had a great time. I knew a fair few people in the various performances etc. too so that certainly enhanced the experience :P

Tried the karage-don and some okonomiyaki. Was decent enough as stall food goes. The wee school children singing 'Omocha no cha cha cha' was possibly the most adorable thing I've ever seen in my life. Agggggh so cuuuuuute!

I wasn't able to make it today. Every year something comes up when it's on :(

I went for about an hour and tried currypan and melonpan for the first time! They were really tasty. The children's taiko drumming was very cute!

I wasn't able to make it today. Every year something comes up when it's on :(

Same :(

Some year....Some year... *pats on back*

Shook hands with Leo Varadkar , met some of the officials from the Japanese Embassy,renewed friendships from last two festivals, Got a big hug from a gorgeous girl in cosplay, watched some of the events , freezing cold and not a blossom to view, warmed up again in Yamamori Great George's St .

Not so many this year as in the previous years .

Advertisement