Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A&A Feedback

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Sorted.
    Next!
    Ah, bless you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

What the hell is this hippy love in!? Haven't you people ever seen a feedback thread on this site before? It's supposed to be full of people point scoring and dredging up months and years old grudges, taking sneaky thinly veiled digs at the mods and casting wild and ludicrously libelous but indirect assertions at whole sections of the posting public.

Someone throw a pie for Christ sake!

Nah...nah... There isn't really anything I'd change. I tried to think of a couple of things, nothings perfect and all that. Best I could come up with was that accusing someone of being a troll shouldn't really be allowed, if they are a troll then report your suspicions but don't keep stating it on thread... but then again Robin and Dades usually do keep a lid on that kind of thing much more so than happens in the other forums on here...

Bah, you're all beautiful and uncriticisable bastards. I hate the lot of you for it.

Oh wait, I just thunked of one. Nah...nah... it's gone again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

strobe wrote: »
    What the hell is this hippy love in!? Haven't you people ever seen a feedback thread on this site before? It's supposed to be full of people point scoring and dredging up months and years old grudges, taking sneaky thinly veiled digs at the mods and casting wild and ludicrously libelous but indirect assertions at whole sections of the posting public.

We're all just waiting until Brown Bomber arrives.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Best I could come up with was that accusing someone of being a troll shouldn't really be allowed, if they are a troll then report your suspicions but don't keep stating it on thread...
    Actually, that's a good one. I wish people would stopped calling other people trolls and just hit the report button.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Dades wrote: »
    Actually, that's a good one. I wish people would stopped calling other people trolls and just hit the report button.

Ah it's a site wide (internet wide) issue, and like I say, at least here I've seen it being discouraged. Should really be covered under the 'personal abuse' section of the site wide rules IMO. I know, personally, being called a troll while trying to articulate an unpopular opinion would irritate me far far more than being called a cunt or a dickhead or anything like that.

I know there are genuine trolls that are just posting whatever purely to wind people up, for whatever reasons, but yeah, would be better I think for people to report it rather than using it as a response to an opinion (whether that opinion is legitimately held or not) and for that to be enshrined in the general rules.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I've probably been guilty of such at some point. But that incident that occured on that feminist atheist site or whatever did sort of open my eyes on why it is becoming far too overused. Not the worst on the forum but would be nice to cut it all out.

Also, i'll also say that ye're fantastic mods...... Plus your word is infallible. :pac: Sorry, the latter is the pope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

Someone throw a pie for Christ sake!

Nah...nah... There isn't really anything I'd change. I tried to think of a couple of things, nothings perfect and all that. Best I could come up with was that accusing someone of being a troll shouldn't really be allowed, if they are a troll then report your suspicions but don't keep stating it on thread... but then again Robin and Dades usually do keep a lid on that kind of thing much more so than happens in the other forums on here...

Bah, you're all beautiful and uncriticisable bastards. I hate the lot of you for it.

Oh wait, I just thunked of one. Nah...nah... it's gone again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I heart A+A. Don't change a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

This is the first forum I visit when I open Boards.ie, and often the only forum.

The level of discourse, the tolerance of troll posters, the quality of posts (e.g. oldrnwisr), lack of small-minded prejudice and the adult humour, surpass any of the other forums.

The mods are extremely reasonable and fair minded.

I have to say also, it's a busy forum. Keeps it fresh!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Stop deleting my feedback posts where I criticize the Moderation! :mad:

• Advertisement

You guys do a great job. The best mods in the world, without question. Especially Robin.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by robindch; 05-10-2012 at 20:30. Reason: Correcting erroneous remarks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

These days I'm probably more of a lurker than a poster (free time is less abundant), but this is one of the few forums I still check frequently.

Can't add much to what's already been said, but I like the mix of serious debate and WTFery, and the modding is unintrusive without letting things slide into complete chaos.

In short: A&A good, don't change stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

gvn wrote: »
    You guys do a great job. The best mods in the world, without question. Especially Robin.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by robindch; 05-10-2012 at 20:30. Reason: Correcting erroneous remarks

Eh? What just happened there?! Can mods edit other user's posts? Hmmmm. :eek: Oh, wait....ahh, get it now, lol:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

I've just remembered: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67975691

Kissing ass before it was cool.

hipster-cat.jpg?w=500

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Improbable wrote: »
    I've just remembered: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67975691

Kissing ass before it was cool.

hipster-cat.jpg?w=500

Clearly a troll.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

I'll throw in my tuppence worth. Like others, it's the only forum on the boards that I visit daily, and basically it's because I like the regulars, and the mods keep the iron beneath the velvet. Some smart, witty, civilised mo-fo's on these pages. I always have a laugh and I always learn something when I visit. Thanks to you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

To respond to both this feedback thread and the thread asking "Anything good about religion at all?" I would say that this forum is best thing to come about because of religion. Keep up the good work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

One thing I was wondering. How annoying is it to deal with reported posts?

I usually err on the side of caution and neither brand the person a troll or report them.

The internet has taught me that true trolls aren't as common as people with silly opinions.:pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Reported posts aren't annoying at all. They only ever appear in volume when there's serious muppetry which is exactly what we want to happen. Also, I've no problem ignoring a RP if I think intervening would be premature. They're usually only from people newish to the forum who are aghast at what people can say.

You can't feel compelled to act all the time - I get the reported posts from 100+ forums! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

Sarky wrote: »
    Perhaps you could force Oldrnwisr to post more often? Treasure trove of knowledge, that guy.

Thanks Sarky. Appreciate it.

I would love to post more often but I'm balls deep in holiday cover at the moment and haven't got a lot of time.

As for the feedback, as many other posters have commented, don't change anything, this forum is just perfect as it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭The Bishop!

Good forum. But a couple of things seeing as its feedback:

The place does sometimes seem a bit one-sided. And that's to be expected naturally, as it is a forum for atheists and agnostics to talk about things after all.

In saying that, for instance there doesn't seem to be too many regular posters from the Christianity forum on here as there are regulars from A+A on there. Maybe i'm wrong about that now, but that's how it seems.

Nor is there much in the way of general opposing views to the discussions from theists in general or from neutral observers. Could be wrong about that too; i don't read most threads.
    There are of course some brave exceptions i see regularly, like Jank and Philogos. But other than that i don't really come across many who would be going against the grain of the usual topics here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Well if they don't want to, that's up to them

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Good forum. But a couple of things seeing as its feedback:

The place does sometimes seem a bit one-sided. And that's to be expected naturally, as it is a forum for atheists and agnostics to talk about things after all.

In saying that, for instance there doesn't seem to be too many regular posters from the Christianity forum on here as there are regulars from A+A on there. Maybe i'm wrong about that now, but that's how it seems.

Nor is there much in the way of general opposing views to the discussions from theists in general or from neutral observers. Could be wrong about that too; i don't read most threads.
    There are of course some brave exceptions i see regularly, like Jank and Philogos. But other than that i don't really come across many who would be going against the grain of the usual topics here.

Possibly because many of those who inhabit the Christianity forum find that an argument based entirely upon the Bible doesn't really cut the mustard here. Particularly when there appears to be cherry picking of which bits of scripture are 'true', which bits 'need to be taken in context' and which bits are 'parables'.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

In normal everyday friendly discussion there's a firewall called, "That's just my belief", which for an individual with any vague notion of social etiquette is a signal to back down and change the subject.

Charging through this firewall is really only acceptable in a debating scenario, primarily because "that's just my belief" isn't an acceptable defence in a debate.

The main reason why few religious people venture onto this forum is because their primary justification for their POV is, "That's just my belief", which won't be tolerated.

I'm sure most of us would love the opportunity for civil discussion with varied religious people on here, but you tend to find that those who engage are either already in a very questioning mode about their faith and not afraid to lose it, or they're so confident in their belief that they do not fear the debate.
    The third group - those who are afraid to lose their faith and who do not have the confidence to debate it - are unlikely to ever join in.

seamus wrote: »
    In normal everyday friendly discussion there's a firewall called, "That's just my belief", which for an individual with any vague notion of social etiquette is a signal to back down and change the subject.

Charging through this firewall is really only acceptable in a debating scenario, primarily because "that's just my belief" isn't an acceptable defence in a debate.

The main reason why few religious people venture onto this forum is because their primary justification for their POV is, "That's just my belief", which won't be tolerated.

I'm sure most of us would love the opportunity for civil discussion with varied religious people on here, but you tend to find that those who engage are either already in a very questioning mode about their faith and not afraid to lose it, or they're so confident in their belief that they do not fear the debate.
    The third group - those who are afraid to lose their faith and who do not have the confidence to debate it - are unlikely to ever join in.

I agree that saying "that's just my belief" may not be an acceptable defence in a debate, but this is not a debating hall. It's a discussion forum. I'm sure you agree it's acceptable to say that here though and shouldn't be not acceptable as such as in it precludes you from the forum.

You've set out your 3 neat groups there, but there are plenty of threads unrelated to belief, (ie the question of faith itself), that the above doesn't really apply to.
    The current "Anything good about religion" thread would be one that comes to mind. One where a theist could participate without reference to faith or belief. It seems they're under-represented there too. Any idea why that is?

I'm inclined to agree, in some respects, and not in others. I think there may be more oppositional debate than you say. As a fairly new contributor to boards, I came in on the A+A forum because I was looking for what people had been discussing in relation to abortion and I found it here first. Also, I am an atheist, by upbringing and by reason (two different things, in my case at least). I found very much dispute and debate on the A+A forum on this subject. All walks of pro-life were represented well, to my mind - I considered this challenging, which is what I want, in order to further my understanding of different viewpoints.

I then got a bit braver and branched out. Finding a debate on the Christian forum and reading some of the posts, I was encouraged by the Christian presence on the A+A thread and started to discuss my atheist pro-choice views on the Christian forum. I found a similar level of disrespect/kindness on that forum as I have in this one towards the religious.

Of course, I am in the minority on the forum that does not represent in any way, my beliefs. Religious people are in the minority on this one. But I think that it comes down to those who put themselves forward for debate versus those that don't, regardless of belief. Many, many members of boards just read/look on and take it all in. Some of them post regularly, some seem to live here. I think it is less about belief and more about personal characteristics though, whether you dive into the deep end or not.

Meant to say...the way I agree with you is around the general consensus that is found on these forums. This is a place, not only to discuss and debate, but to find like-minded people who support your views, or at least, support you by virtue of your belief. That isn't a bad thing, but it depends on what you are looking for. Me, I'm happy to find both.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I agree that saying "that's just my belief" may not be an acceptable defence in a debate, but this is not a debating hall. It's a discussion forum.
    A+A, insofar as it's possible, sticks to dialectic debate -- the kind of discussion where there are rules about what you can and cannot claim, where there are generally-agreed rules for what constitutes legitimate reasoning, and where facts must be backed up by observation or temporarily suspended from discussion. And most especially, where people agree ahead of time that they're not wedded to any particular point of view, but agree to be guided by the same rules, reason and facts, hopefully, to come to a common understanding of the topic under discussion. Thesis + Thesis = synthesis; etc, etc.

Lots of people get mixed up all the time between a dialectic discussion (what non-religious people think is happening) and a lecture (what religious people think is happening). If somebody shows up and says "I believe that the moon is made of green cheese because I think it says it in this book and I think that this book is the final authority for everything", then that denies a common understanding of the words "fact", "reasons" and "rules" and one may as well go off down the pub and have a few beers.

If you'd like to see an example of this dialog of the deaf, have a look here.

Ah ha! Gotta lot to learn here...hmm.:)

Obliq wrote: »
    I'm inclined to agree, in some respects, and not in others. I think there may be more oppositional debate than you say. As a fairly new contributor to boards, I came in on the A+A forum because I was looking for what people had been discussing in relation to abortion and I found it here first. Also, I am an atheist, by upbringing and by reason (two different things, in my case at least). I found very much dispute and debate on the A+A forum on this subject. All walks of pro-life were represented well, to my mind - I considered this challenging, which is what I want, in order to further my understanding of different viewpoints.

I then got a bit braver and branched out. Finding a debate on the Christian forum and reading some of the posts, I was encouraged by the Christian presence on the A+A thread and started to discuss my atheist pro-choice views on the Christian forum. I found a similar level of disrespect/kindness on that forum as I have in this one towards the religious.

Of course, I am in the minority on the forum that does not represent in any way, my beliefs. Religious people are in the minority on this one. But I think that it comes down to those who put themselves forward for debate versus those that don't, regardless of belief. Many, many members of boards just read/look on and take it all in. Some of them post regularly, some seem to live here. I think it is less about belief and more about personal characteristics though, whether you dive into the deep end or not.

Meant to say...the way I agree with you is around the general consensus that is found on these forums. This is a place, not only to discuss and debate, but to find like-minded people who support your views, or at least, support you by virtue of your belief. That isn't a bad thing, but it depends on what you are looking for. Me, I'm happy to find both.

Very interesting. It is what it is. Am pretty much playing devils advocate; have no major issues with the forum at all; for the most part it hums along nicely, and the say-what-you-feel attitude does have many benefits.

The question is does it does possibly alienate or preclude the more thoughtful posters, those who couldn't be bothered going through the mill of ad homs that get 'overlooked' on here in the interests of 'freedom'..
    Not to say that religious posters are particularlarly sensitive or anything. But there is a definite thing on here of "oh the religious are stupid people full stop."

• Advertisement

robindch wrote: »
    A+A, insofar as it's possible, sticks to dialectic debate -- the kind of discussion where there are rules about what you can and cannot claim, where there are generally-agreed rules for what constitutes legitimate reasoning, and where facts must be backed up by observation or temporarily suspended from discussion. And most especially, where people agree ahead of time that they're not wedded to any particular point of view, but agree to be guided by the same rules, reason and facts, hopefully, to come to a common understanding of the topic under discussion. Thesis + Thesis = synthesis; etc, etc.

Lots of people get mixed up all the time between a dialectic discussion (what non-religious people think is happening) and a lecture (what religious people think is happening). If somebody shows up and says "I believe that the moon is made of green cheese because I think it says it in this book and I think that this book is the final authority for everything", then that denies a common understanding of the words "fact", "reasons" and "rules" and one may as well go off down the pub and have a few beers.

If you'd like to see an example of this dialog of the deaf, have a look here.

That's all well and good but i feel that you should not be compatmentalising the population into religious people and non-religious people in terms of how they process information. It displays a measure of arrogance tbh and seems to be a barrier for polite discussion and an open welcoming forum.

And that's coming from an apparent member of this exhalted club you speak of; the purveyors of reason as you put it.

Advertisement