Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Japanese attitude towards Irish?

• 08-02-2012 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Are the Irish viewed as a minority or given any hassle by people in Japan?
    I'd like to move their when I finish college and was wondering what their attitude towards us is like. I myself don't look down on them or any other race for that matter.

EDIT: I will be trying to move to Tokyo with a degree in pharmacy, if that makes any differance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

You'll be looking down on them when you go over.

Their very small. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Japan doesn't really have too many immigrants afaik. Japanese society is very homogenous and while I wouldn't exactly describe them as racist they don't seem the kind of society that readily warms to foreigners. That's not to say they're unfriendly e.t.c., just slow to trust foreigners.

I've never actually been to Japan but that's just the impression I get from stories i've heard about the country and its people.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Fmurr34

Lol nice one :D Given my size I'll feel right at home then!

And I intend to try and learn standardized japanese before I go. Possibly take a separate class in it while I'm in college

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭greenbicycle

Don't know about the country and population as a whole but I have met many many Japanese people and they are very nice people without exception, I think there is a distinct difference in how nice Japanese people are over Chinese in my own experience too, not that that is particularly relevant I suppose!. Would love to have the opportunity to move to Japan..... So jealous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Japan doesn't really have too many immigrants afaik. Japanese society is very homogenous and while I wouldn't exactly describe them as racist they don't seem the kind of society that readily warms to foreigners.

I've never actually been to Japan but that's just the impression I get from stories i've heard about the country and its people.

I've been and met a number of people who work/worked there. They are in the main very polite people but you're correct in they don't always like foreigners. Being called a gaijin will most probably happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pierrot

For the most part, haven't a clue it exists, so wouldn't really have a general attitude towards us. Some might have heard of Robbie Keane or Enya, but that's about it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Ah, you'll stick out about as much as any other Gaijin.

But, nah, there are dicks wherever you go in the world. most people are cool.
    I got more wierd looks in Guangzhou than in Tokyo.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Monkeyto

I've lived here for 4 months now, people are generally very polite, except on trains where everyone is out for themselves. I've yet to hear anyone use the G word, though if they do, it should be the polite version "Gaikokujin", and not Gaijin, so listen out for which way they express themselves.

I think perception is generally much better for Westerners, sadly if you have Chinese or Korean descent, things might be a bit more socially awkward.

In short, 9/10 they think that you're American or British, but no one is gonna hate you for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭lc180

pierrot wrote: »
    Some might have heard of Robbie Keane or Enya, but that's about it...

I've met quite a few of Japanese from my travels and they seem like a really nice nationality. Very polite and engaging.
    One thing I've learned is they LOVE Westlife, so be prepared for that!

There's no bleeding escaping those f**kers! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

I dont know about Japan,but I have been to other parts of east Asia and the majority of people never heard of Ireland.You are likely to be regarded as either American or British or perhaps Australian.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

lc180 wrote: »
    I've met quite a few of Japanese from my travels and they seem like a really nice nationality. Very polite and engaging.
    One thing I've learned is they LOVE Westlife, so be prepared for that!

There's no bleeding escaping those f**kers! :D
    LOL Yeah thats true out there,they all know Westlife...just say you are from Westlife land ;)

Oooohhh God.....Westlife? Really?
    THEY'RE THE MAIN REASON I'M LEAVING! D:

I kid I kid xD Apparantly they like Enya too? Friend had a penpal there and she told him a lot about they're culture and all that good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭shindig-jp

Fmurr34 wrote: »
    I'd like to move their when I finish college and was wondering what their attitude towards us is like. I myself don't look down on them or any other race for that matter.

EDIT: I will be trying to move to Tokyo with a degree in pharmacy, if that makes any differance.

The degree in Pharmacy will only get you a language teaching job if you are moving there on speck unless you have been hired or head hunted from a company in Japan for a job in pharmaceuticals

As a minority ... There are 1000 Irish living in Japan. There are about the same number ...1000 Japanese living in Ireland.

In Japan you are just a white Gaijin and will be treated like one . You will always be the outsider no matter how well you speak the language.

Still, a nice country and a nice people.

Be careful on your return .... re-entry to Irish culture is a major shock so try avoid coming home.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Fmurr34 wrote: »

They know almost nothing about Ireland in general -- often confuse us with Iceland!

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭daelight

Absolutely fine - you are white and so will be classed as American from a distance regardless. Japanese knowledge of Ireland is quite basic. Once they know you are Irish they will ask you about Guinness, Bono and Enya, just play along :/

There are St. Patricks Days parades in most of the major cities - if you are here in March go along to one. In 2007 they lit up Tokyo Tower all green to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Ireland Japan diplomatic relations, that was a sincere gesture of the importance of Ireland to Japan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

I am in Japan right now.

Some observations...

I am in a busy Starbucks and there are three empty tables next to me. Japanese people walk towards the tables but when they see me they quickly change direction.

I am on a packed bus and the seat next to me is free. No one will sit there.

I get on the subway and sit down. The man sitting next to me immediately gets up and moves away.

I have tried to go into some bars and have been told "Japanese only".

I look normal (dress well, clean cut, etc.) and have good hygiene. :)

So although Japanese people are super polite and generally quite friendly when you speak to them, there is definitely some sort of fear of foreigners going on.

But I find this stuff sort of interesting rather than offensive. It's a great country and it's very civilised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

I am in Japan right now.

Some observations...

I am in a busy Starbucks and there are three empty tables next to me. Japanese people walk towards the tables but when they see me they quickly change direction.

I get on the subway and sit down. The man sitting next to me immediately gets up and moves away.

So although Japanese people are super polite and generally quite friendly when you speak to them, there is definitely some sort of fear of foreigners going on.

But I find this stuff sort of interesting rather than offensive. It's a great country and it's very civilised.

That crap pissed me off for a while... now I just find it funny! 'Gaijins' seem to have an awfully bad reputation with a lot of Japanese people. Thankfully I think this is changing a huge amount nowadays.

Out of interest Mr. L, what city were you in? I've found more country cities are way more welcoming of foreigners than say Tokyo.

Right now I am in Tokyo!

Not sure if I've noticed if Tokyo is less afraid or more afraid though.

But like you, I find it funny. I'm doing my bit for us foreigners though! Giving up my seat on the subway when it's busy. It seems to be going down well. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

OP one word of warning. If like a friend of mine who worked there for a few years, your overweight then they will actually point and laugh at you in public.

• Advertisement

Right now I am in Tokyo!

Not sure if I've noticed if Tokyo is less afraid or more afraid though.

But like you, I find it funny. I'm doing my bit for us foreigners though! Giving up my seat on the subway when it's busy. It seems to be going down well. :)

yeah I was Tokyo myself! Its mad going down the country after living in Tokyo... I was amazed when people were actually friendly and speaking in Japanese rather than awful broken english! Also in general people in izakayas etc just talk more.

Tokyo is definitely a kind of cold place at times I thought.. still loved it though and the good far outways the bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭daelight

I am in Japan right now.

Some observations...

This is a bit too much ... some of the above does happen, especially in Tokyo, but not quite to those extremes. In Tokyo, people are far more weary of foreign people and tend to give a wide berth in quieter places. People here like to be left alone. I have seen many a hapless dude try to talk to girls in Cafes / on trains.

Being refused entry into a Bar - thats probably a local 'snack' bar / places in which you need to be introduced by someone known to the Owner of the establishment. Never had this happen to me personally in all the years have lived here. Perhaps you should go to an Izakaiya rather than to smaller bars.

Ride the Yamanote / Keihin everyday and not had people give a dam who is there, they are too busy engrossed in their gadgets.

When being a foreigner here works for you (e.g. getting good attention from the girls) you dont hear any complaints... just sayin'

daelight wrote: »
    This is a bit too much ... some of the above does happen, especially in Tokyo, but not quite to those extremes.

Those all happened to me within the past 12 days.

And I want to reiterate I dress well, don't have any tattoos or weird hair, and don't have bad hygiene!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭ondafly

shindig-jp wrote: »
    Be careful on your return .... re-entry to Irish culture is a major shock so try avoid coming home.

This !!!! You arrive back in Dublin Airport, to be joined with all other internal flight arrivals, and the noise of people hits you again !

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Monkeyto

Those all happened to me within the past 12 days.

And I want to reiterate I dress well, don't have any tattoos or weird hair, and don't have bad hygiene!

I can second that opinion of daelight, I've been working here for 4 months now, came here every year for the last 3 years (twice a year), and haven't experienced half which you've had in 12 days. I'm gonna call it back luck on your part, which in fairness can happen.

Where I work requires me to use both a local train, and the Yamanote line in terms of travel. And I'm pretty scruffy, so they certainly don't mind that!

Ah yeah, could be bad luck, but there is no doubting they are less comfortable with foreigners than most other countries.

I should point out I am very observant as well (I love people watching) so I may notice things most people would miss.

Ah yeah, could be bad luck, but there is no doubting they are less comfortable with foreigners than most other countries.

I should point out I am very observant as well (I love people watching) so I may notice things most people would miss.

Maybe a small does of paranoia thrown in too :)! I noticed it too, and it definitely happens. Not an everyday thing or anything but without a doubt it does.

@Daelight, I don't really get why you would question it doesn't happen to these 'extremes'? I know of numerous other cases of mild racism in Japan other than in that list!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

I've lived in Tokyo for almost two years now and I've met about four Irish people in total, one of whom being the husband of a Japanese woman I knew from Ireland. We're a minority of the minority. Many Japanese don't even know where Ireland is, and to echo Nakey's comment above, there was one time when I explained to an elderly Japanese woman that I was from Ireland only to be shot a look of concern and asked "oh dear, is your family OK? I heard about the big volcano eruption!"

"Mr. Loverman", if you saw the way some foreigners (OK, Americans) behave towards Japanese in the situations you described, you might understand why some keep their distance.
    Monkeyto wrote: »
    I've yet to hear anyone use the G word, though if they do, it should be the polite version "Gaikokujin", and not Gaijin

'Gaikokujin' is more of a silly PC term than a 'polite' version of gaijin IMO. When a Japanese person uses the term 'gaijin', 90% of the time they simply mean 'foreigner' rather than any negative connotation.

Having been referred to as a 'gaijin-san' a number of times, I'd challenge someone who thinks that the term is pejorative to explain why the honourific '-san' suffix was applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭shindig-jp

If you want to know about racism in Japan, Google or best is to Wiki for this dude Arudou Debito (AKA) Dave Aldwinckle . He's become a bit of a bore of late within the gaijin community tramping around the country flogging his books.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,542 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I'd echo most of the above.

The Japanese don't have any attitude towards the Irish - most of them don't have any idea where we're from. In my Eikawa days, I used to put 500yen on the table in 100yen coins and ask people to guess where I was from. After America, England, Australia, most of them used to just run out of ideas. The smarter ones would avoid guessing the big 3 and go for Canada and New Zealand, and after that, people would guess France, Denmark, Russia, wherever except Ireland. Only once did I have to give away more than 100yen.

I've had something which could be described as racist happen only once - I went to look at a flat, and decided to take it, so I went to the real estate agent and filled in the forms, only to get a call later explaining that the landlord/owner didn't want me as they weren't comfortable with somebody who couldn't speak good Japanese.

Otherwise, I've been treated with respect everywhere, and even met a few people with an interest in Ireland. I was in Matsumoto and met a guy in a bar who was obsessed with the music of Sharon Shannon, and just a couple of days ago I visited a doctor who wanted to know whether oilskin woolen coats were still made in Donegal (Sadly, I wasn't able to help him).

One of the things which happens here is that Japanese people are so non-confrontational that foreigners feel they can get away with some ignorant behaviour, whereas in a lot of other countries, they'd get their heads kicked in pretty quickly.

Advertisement