Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to Basics...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

shazkea wrote: »
    Thur Mar 24th

Couldn't but love this run - fab eve so a run beside the sea was called for. Got a stitch for the first time in an age but ran through it and it disappeared...strange one.
    Signed up for GIR as well. Crowds mean it won't be a PB attempt so just another one to go out and enjoy. They were very precise about the finishing times - wonder how their wave start will work out!

Distance: 3.04
    Time: 28:40
    Pace: 09:26

Nice run there Shaz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

[HTML][/HTML]
    Thur Mar 24th

Couldn't but love this run - fab eve so a run beside the sea was called for. Got a stitch for the first time in an age but ran through it and it disappeared...strange one.
    Signed up for GIR as well. Crowds mean it won't be a PB attempt so just another one to go out and enjoy. They were very precise about the finishing times - wonder how their wave start will work out!

Distance: 3.04
    Time: 28:40
    Pace: 09:26

Delighted you are back into it Shaz and enjoying it. Would be stuck on the couch in weather like this...its perfect for running.

Have you noticed all the people around our area running? Lots of women following c25k I think, may be related to Ray Darcy 5K run programme?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Nice one Shaz. You’re definitely going about this return the right way – slow and steady and finding the enjoyment in it again! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

maria74 wrote: »
    Delighted you are back into it Shaz and enjoying it. Would be stuck on the couch in weather like this...its perfect for running.

Have you noticed all the people around our area running? Lots of women following c25k I think, may be related to Ray Darcy 5K run programme?

Cheers Maria, so nice to be able to enjoy running especially in this weather.

Yeah lots of people out these evenings - mixture of 5k, GIR and women starting on the mini-marathon training I'd say.

Actually quick q for you - now the evenings are bright I'm going to start heading over to Ardgillan for some hills. I heard not to park in top carpark though as lots of cars are being broken into at any time of day - have you heard anything about this?

claralara wrote: »
    Nice one Shaz. You’re definitely going about this return the right way – slow and steady and finding the enjoyment in it again! :)

You hit the nail on head there...nice and slow :rolleyes:!! Seriously though, that's my exact plan, following a nice steady training plan and because I've no big target races, no pressure...simples (in theory!). Build up a good base and think re-think my strategy after my hike in Aug - do not want to be injured for that trip or I'll be killed!

• Advertisement

Actually quick q for you - now the evenings are bright I'm going to start heading over to Ardgillan for some hills. I heard not to park in top carpark though as lots of cars are being broken into at any time of day - have you heard anything about this?

Haven't heard anything about that from anyone.
    Personally would prefer to park at top I think..at least when I am on way back up last hill I know I am on home stretch!!!:D

Sun Mar 27th

Lovely morning in the park and met up with jcsmum for a little run around the nice side of the park. Breathing was shocking - thank god ipod usually drowns that out - sorry K!

Distance: 6.24
    Time: 1:02:39
    Pace: 10:02

Dusted the bike off in the afternoon and went out for a jaunt around. 17 miles in 1:31 - quads burning on the final hill back. Traffic was scary, need to get used to that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Great day for it
    That's some nice time on your feet for someone just easing back in

Sun Mar 27th

Lovely morning in the park and met up with jcsmum for a little run around the nice side of the park. Breathing was shocking - thank god ipod usually drowns that out - sorry K!

Distance: 6.24
    Time: 1:02:39
    Pace: 10:02

Dusted the bike off in the afternoon and went out for a jaunt around. 17 miles in 1:31 - quads burning on the final hill back. Traffic was scary, need to get used to that again.

I got back into bed again when I got home! :o:D

jcsmum wrote: »
    I got back into bed again when I got home! :o:D

He, he I was very tempted to do that too. Only reason I went cycling was to avoid painting...wish I hadn't now...flipping saddle, ouch :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

He, he I was very tempted to do that too. Only reason I went cycling was to avoid painting...wish I hadn't now...flipping saddle, ouch :eek:

:D

The Runways Duathlon Series starts in May - first Wednesday evening of every month for the summer...;)

The Runways Duathlon Series starts in May - first Wednesday evening of every month for the summer...;)

Oh you didn't just do that me - going to have to go google that one now :rolleyes:. If I'm doing some, then so are you missy :D

Nothing to report from last week, a family issue meant I had to head west with no time to fit in a run. Not a great start to the return but running was not high on the priority list.

Mon April 4th

Back in Dub so normal schedule resumes. Plan was a slow 3 miler to ease back into it again. Not my favourite run as I now seem to be obsessing about my breathing pattern or to be more accurate my huffing and puffing pattern :o.
    Made a point of not looking at the watch so I was worried about fitness levels when I was struggling at what I thought was 10:30 pace....was really peed off. Cheered up a bit after when I uploaded watch.
    Also only noticed after I had 2 different runners on - in my defence they are both similar-ish colours but one is neutral and the other a support shoe...think I may be onto something there :cool:

Distance: 3.02
    Time: 27:55
    Avg Pace: 09:15

Oh you didn't just do that me - going to have to go google that one now :rolleyes:. If I'm doing some, then so are you missy :D

You're on! ;)

You're on! ;)

Crap...that didn't go to plan!! You're supposed to put up a big fight and say you'd be knackered after Conn etc...

So my return from injury has been a bit aimless so time to settle on some goals to focus me. So my main goal is to break 2 hours for the half so I consulted my good old friend McMillan and he gave me the following times to aim for if I want to break that sub 2.

Distance | Time | Current PB
    5km| 25:45 |27:58 (Mar 2011)
    8km|42:26| none
    5 Miles| 42:40| 50:58 (Jan 2010) :o
    10km|53:29 |55:32 (June 2010)
    10 Miles|1:29:36|none
    Half Marathon| 1:59:00 |2:07:59 (Jan 2011)

Currently getting back up to a solid base mileage and plan on doing GIR on Sun and the Kildare Half in May. I'm using these as training runs and to make sure I am starting from a decent mileage.
    I'll try to kick off PB attempts in June and use alot of the Race Series to get these.

Bit of work to be done here but it's always good to have something to aim for otherwise I'll become a lazy ass and skip half my runs!!

Also note no mention of a marathon attempt (this year anyway)!!

Shaz, you've had a lot to contend with over the last year with injury and missing DCM and Barcelona - your training has been badly hampered.
    If you can get a clear run (pardon the pun) with your training, you'd be well on target for a sub 2hr half. :)

jcsmum wrote: »
    Shaz, you've had a lot to contend with over the last year with injury and missing DCM and Barcelona - your training has been badly hampered.
    If you can get a clear run (pardon the pun) with your training, you'd be well on target for a sub 2hr half. :)

Thanks, very true point. Hopefully you're right and I'll be celebrating a sub 2hr in Ryans after!

Thur April 7th

I planned a nice easy 4 miles at 10:30 min/mile pace. I haven't been using the watch to pace myself lately so thought I might start again this eve to try and stick to a planned pace. Yeah right, like that worked...not one mile was at the target 10:30 pace :rolleyes:.

Still it was a gorgeous eve if not a bit warm at 17 degrees and a nice relaxed run. Bloody flies and midgets have made their comeback too...protein intake increased!

Distance: 4.21
    Time: 41:01
    Avg Pace: 09:45

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

...not one mile was at the target pace :rolleyes:....

Guess it's not just me so. :) There's a lot to be said for just running by the feel of it, IMHO. Watching the clock is a pain in the neck and shoulder while you're doing it, and no sooner do you look away than the pace is up or down or sideways....

Crap...that didn't go to plan!! You're supposed to put up a big fight and say you'd be knackered after Conn etc...

My sister gave me a card the other day and guess what fell out…a present of entry to 3 of them… On your bike!! :)

GIR April 10th

Good god this race was a shocker for me. Just as well this was not a target race or I would not have been fun to be around after!

So we arrived at about 12:30 thinking this is perfect, drop the bags and mooch around for a bit before the start (@13:10) in the sunshine. I crossed the start line at 13:42 according to mr garmin and it was not fun to be standing around in that heat for the delayed start (22 degrees according to my car!|). Also since I’m on a rant what the hell was the point of the starting colours?? I was in the white pen and surrounded by green and reds with people starting to walk before the 1km...wtf .

Right back to the race, no pace in mind as I had no target time but idea was just to keep it comfortable. First 5km were ok, warm but bearable (apart from dodging the walkers) and settled into a nice rhythm. Then we hit the hills and the wheels came flying off. The hills just zapped me of all my energy. I jogged the first one up to s-bends huffing and puffing and managed to recover ok-ish by St Marys and then the next one hit. A couple of people were puking by the side of the road at this stage and this just broke me. I hate watching people getting sick coz then I want to puke :o. All form went out the window as I struggled on and 7 – 9 kms were just awful.

I have not felt that bad on a run (race or training) in a long time and even thought about walking the rest of it. I stopped for a few seconds before I gave myself a good HTFU speech and got going again albeit slowly. Then I realised that if I kept going like this I would struggle even to make it under the 60 min mark and there was no way I was going to let that happen even if my stupid foot was starting to give out. Very nice of it to remind me of its presence on the last km of a crap run :rolleyes:. Finally made it across the line under the 60 mins...just about but that was rough going.

I know I’m still on the comeback trail so I can’t be too harsh on myself. It is time to start cranking up the quality of my training though and this was a good motivator. Anyway stats...
    Distance: 6.33 miles
    Time: 59:44
    Avg Pace: 09:27

What’s the story with the crappy t-shirt??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

people starting to walk before the 1km...wtf .
    This really annoyed me too. Also nearly came to a standstill at the roundabout...
    You did great getting under the hour well done. It sure was tough going.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭RubyK

Sounds like it was a tough one shaz, but you did brill to get in under the hour ;)

Definitely a tough race for a PB or any kind of time goal. It's always so conjested!
    Not sure how anyone ran in the heat yesterday.
    Chalk it up to experience and no doubt it will stand to you that you kept going and that you didnt' give up. Getting in under the hour in those conditions and for somebody just back from injury is great going.

Cheers girls, really nice to read the encouragement :)

April 11th Mon

10 easy miles on the bike to bring the legs back to life. Also good time for reflection! It wasn't the time that annoyed me yesterday, it was the level of effort on what should have been a comfortable run.

I think I was freaked out after that I need to increase my pace by a least a min/mile to get those 5 mile and 10 mile targets and on the exact same course :eek:.
    So in retrospect yesterday was actually the perfect training run, woke me up as to what I need to do. Hill and interval sessions will be introduced to plan - probably alternate them every week. Good learning experience so worth doing despite my rants yesterday :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Thats the spirit Shaz, you'll get those times down sooner than you think. How's the foot after the race?

I found it really tough out there yesterday and the waiting around was so hard in the heat. Well done, you did brillant!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

...protein intake increased!

Love it:D You must run like me, damn flies:P Well done on your comeback, enjoying your log.

Advertisement