Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Need BMW Assessed in Loughrea

Options
  • 17-04-2014 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi there,

I left my fabulous BMW in with a mechanic last August for work on the engine. He didn't do the work & destroyed the interior by leaving the windows down (fungus). There's also some damage to the Jody. Basically, I need a registered mechanic to assess it for me.

Please feel free to contact me with quotes.

Kindest Regards,

Lorraine

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

You dont need a mechanic. Yu want an experienced valetor or detailer to quote you in the interior, and a panel beater to quote you on the bodywork.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 lorrainelynch

The panels wouldn't have to be beaten as they're just badly scratched. I'm not sure a valet would do the job. If there are spores present, it'd grow back. I regularly have young babies in my car so I wouldn't feel comfortable unless I knew for sure the growth wouldn't come back again.

Lorraine

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hi there,

I left my fabulous BMW in with a mechanic last August for work on the engine. He didn't do the work & destroyed the interior by leaving the windows down (fungus). There's also some damage to the Jody. Basically, I need a registered mechanic to assess it for me.

Please feel free to contact me with quotes.

Kindest Regards,

Lorraine

It went in last august, 8 months ago. What work was it getting?

Head skimmed/replacement engine. I knew it would take some time so I bought a replacement car in the interim. He kept promising me it'd be next week, next week, next week & eventually stopped answering my calls. In the end, I'd to get my friend to TOW it out!

Now I need an estimation on how much it'll cost to have it back to the condition it was when I brought it into him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

<Ask by PM instead>

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

The panels wouldn't have to be beaten as they're just badly scratched. I'm not sure a valet would do the job. If there are spores present, it'd grow back. I regularly have young babies in my car so I wouldn't feel comfortable unless I knew for sure the growth wouldn't come back again.

Lorraine

The panels will have to be resprayed if it is bad, which is something a body shop will do and not a mechanic.

So I presume there was no engine work carried out at all. So you need a price for a head gasket?

What BMW is it, model, year, engine, petrol/diesel etc?

Oh he too the engine out but didn't fit it back in again! Some parts of the engine thrown into the boot. It's a 2002 BMW 316ti Compact 1.9 petrol engine.

I need a value for the car assuming the head needs to be skimmed (which was its value in August) or the amount to fix damage externally/internally, whichever makes most sense.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Oh he too the engine out but didn't fit it back in again! Some parts of the engine thrown into the boot. It's a 2002 BMW 316ti Compact 1.9 petrol engine.

I need a value for the car assuming the head needs to be skimmed (which was its value in August) or the amount to fix damage externally/internally, whichever makes most sense.

You need to call around to indy mechanics for your engine woes, and to body shops for the external damage, and a valet for the interior.

By the sounds of it, the car is simply not worth the money to put it right in it's current condition. It sounds like you should be chasing this mechanic for damages, but I don't know enough of what happened here, and you can't ask for legal advice on here.

That car is not worth much, compacts are not that desirable. I would be wary proceeding with work.

Thanks a million! I already did seek legal advice which is why I need the estimates. It's such a pity as it's a gorgeous car! Thanks for the advice. Lots of calls to be made so :)

Thanks a million! I already did seek legal advice which is why I need the estimates. It's such a pity as it's a gorgeous car! Thanks for the advice. Lots of calls to be made so :)

Yeah, no point waiting for someone on here to give you prices, just call around. You may find it difficult to get quotes on the engine work, but you'll have to just give it your best shot.

Best of luck with it anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement