Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HTC One (M8) Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Got my Spigen slim armour earlier. Ordered Sunday night and got it this morning from Amazon. Went for the gun metal grey and it matches the phone colour perfectly and is an excellent fit.

The one downside is the phone weighs a tonne in it. Made a ten minute phone call earlier and my arm was tires after it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭allen175

sioda wrote: »
    Is anyone having issues with their notification LED works foine when charging but not at all for anything else

No problems with mine, I can notice it flashing out of the corner of my eye on my desk.

Try light flow from the play store and see if you can get it working again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

sioda wrote: »
    Is anyone having issues with their notification LED works foine when charging but not at all for anything else

I have to opposite problem. The notification Led does not flash at all when charging. I thought was how it was supposed to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

quarryman wrote: »
    I have to opposite problem. The notification Led does not flash at all when charging. I thought was how it was supposed to work?

Should have a small red LED (in the speaker grille) constantly on when it's charging. You may have difficulty seeing it in bright sunlight, but otherwise should be fairly visible!

I still think the battery in mine is rubbish. I left my phone charging until 11pm last night. Then used it for about an hour before going to sleep.

I woke up at 6 and was down 50% in that time.

Not impressed, any suggestions? See attached image

2h70xdy.png

24vuold.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,646 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

looks like it was awake all night something causing a wavelock i guess

I still think the battery in mine is rubbish. I left my phone charging until 11pm last night. Then used it for about an hour before going to sleep.

Not impressed, any suggestions? See attached

I think it will be pretty obvious when you click on app usage. You will be able to see what has kept your phone awake all night.

Went to bed last night after 15 hours on battery with 55%...something has to be eating your battery. The only thing I use is the milder of the two power savers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

I'm looking at the possibility of getting this phone with Carphone Warehouse on Meteor PAYG. I've read that it comes unlocked this way, can anyone confirm that?

Also I'm considering using it with on a Three sim only plan however I've seen some people have had data connection problems using non-Three phones on their network.

Has anyone tried this successfully?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Not impressed, any suggestions? See attached image

Definately a wakelock of some sort, my M8 only drops about 10% (sometimes less) overnight

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Quick question.. I damaged the usb charging cable - took all of 6 days. :o

Have a few others but the one that's working best (charging the phone fastest) is one I got with a Chinese THL phone. It looks very generic and cheap, similar to the ones they sell in €2 shops. Any harm in using this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

I'm looking at the possibility of getting this phone with Carphone Warehouse on Meteor PAYG. I've read that it comes unlocked this way, can anyone confirm that?

Also I'm considering using it with on a Three sim only plan however I've seen some people have had data connection problems using non-Three phones on their network.

Before you think of moving to Three have a read of this thread -
    http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057189638

I just moved last month and I constantly have to manually connect to the three network if I lose signal and it roams. I'm using a Nexus 5 so its possible it wont happne on M8 (wouldnt bet on it though).

Its very frustrating, reckon I will move to another network soon, possibly Tesco Mobile, they seem to have a good offer on at the moment.

I bought a Meteor PAYG and it was sim free and unbranded. My vodafone sim worked just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Have a few others but the one that's working best (charging the phone fastest) is one I got with a Chinese THL phone. It looks very generic and cheap, similar to the ones they sell in €2 shops. Any harm in using this?
    A Micro USB cable is a Micro USB cable at the end of the day, you should be fine!

Meesared wrote: »
    A Micro USB cable is a Micro USB cable at the end of the day, you should be fine!

Cool. That's what I thought but read something on the iOS forum recently which made me wonder. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Yurp, they're all the same. When I chopped in my old Nokia E52 for a Galaxy S4 I found my old cabling, car-charger, etc. worked away fine.

Depends what you use it for. It won't damage the phone, but I can't get an adb connection to PC with cheap cables, and the charging rate often doesn't seem as good. Will still do the trick though.

Basil3 wrote: »
    Depends what you use it for. It won't damage the phone, but I can't get an adb connection to PC with cheap cables, and the charging rate often doesn't seem as good. Will still do the trick though.

Probably the only complaint I have with the phone is how slowly it charged with the OEM cable. The cheap one seems to be at least on par as far as I can tell.

I read on one of the review sites that HTC are releasing a hi-speed cable of some description for this phone. That sound right?

Probably the only complaint I have with the phone is how slowly it charged with the OEM cable. The cheap one seems to be at least on par as far as I can tell.

I read on one of the review sites that HTC are releasing a hi-speed cable of some description for this phone. That sound right?

A standard USB cable will always slow-charge. Fast-charge mode is generally activated when the two USB data lines are shorted together. This is nearly always done within the supplied charger unit that plugs into the wall, as otherwise the cable would be no use for data.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Hi guys the mother is still having problems with her HTC 8M

Ok the problem is that she used to have a iPhone before and also has a iPad.

So the problem is that she can't get some massages from when people txt her from there iPhones but she gets the massage on her iPad.

What i am thinking is there a way to stop imassage to her phone number ? Like i went from a iPhone 5 to a note 3 and never had this problem

Another problem is that she can't send MMS massages to people as well.

I was on the phone to 3 and there saying it was the sim card ?

Any idea what it might be to fix this problem ?

• Advertisement

So the problem is that she can't get some massages from when people txt her from there iPhones but she gets the massage on her iPad.

What i am thinking is there a way to stop imassage to her phone number ? Like i went from a iPhone 5 to a note 3 and never had this problem

Can't she turn iMessage off on her iPad? I would say this is the problem, as the iPad is saying she's online with iMessaging still.

Regarding MMS, are all the APN settings correct?

Saw people suggesting on the Apple forum that you should sign out of iMessage/iCloud/Find My iPhone before factory resetting an iPhone. Some/all of those remain active after doing so?

Turning off iMessage on the iPad might sort it though.

Cyrus wrote: »
    looks like it was awake all night something causing a wavelock i guess
    Basil3 wrote: »
    I think it will be pretty obvious when you click on app usage. You will be able to see what has kept your phone awake all night.
    Went to bed last night after 15 hours on battery with 55%...something has to be eating your battery. The only thing I use is the milder of the two power savers.
    Definately a wakelock of some sort, my M8 only drops about 10% (sometimes less) overnight

You were all correct.

Ok looks like I've nailed it. Battery use is MUCH better now. It seems one or all of switching off the sync, location services and hard restart has made it sleep properly when the screen is off. Thanks for all the help guys!

2e4jcpv.png

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭AGoodison

Can anyone who upgraded from an S4 let me know how they are finding it? Especially regarding battery life and is there any features from the s4 that you miss on the one. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭trev44

jimgoose wrote: »
    A standard USB cable will always slow-charge. Fast-charge mode is generally activated when the two USB data lines are shorted together. This is nearly always done within the supplied charger unit that plugs into the wall, as otherwise the cable would be no use for data.

My understanding is that most (unless you're unlucky) cables will handle 2a min but the ampage of the adaptor it's plugged into is more often the factor. 2a = quick. Less than 1a = slow (roughly).

trev44 wrote: »
    My understanding is that most (unless you're unlucky) cables will handle 2a min but the ampage of the adaptor it's plugged into is more often the factor. 2a = quick. Less than 1a = slow (roughly).

Yes, there is that as well. Oddly enough not every OE charger can handle fast-charge current.

What cases have people bought for the phone? The skin that comes with it is fine but I find it's almost too "grippy". I'd prefer something that made it easier to slide into the pocket but still offer edge protection.

What cases have people bought for the phone? The skin that comes with it is fine but I find it's almost too "grippy". I'd prefer something that made it easier to slide into the pocket but still offer edge protection.

So far I got the original HTC clip on cover, you get a few different ends to clip on and change the colours. The fit is brutal, I have no doubt it would be absolutely useless if you dropped the phone.

Got a gunmetal grey Spigen slim armour and it's fantastic. The only problem is that it makes the phone extremely heavy in the hand but the protection it offers is excellent as is the fit.

I ordered 3 packs of the fonem8 screen protectors then. Expensive shipping but they are the best quality protectors I've ever come across. I usually ruin a few when trying to get it perfect and buy in bulk. They're on Amazon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Fanny Brioscaí

Get one of her friends to delete all the call history, messages and contact information from their Iphone and send a new message.

Checked the APN settings for MMS are correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭1jcdub

jimgoose wrote: »
    Yes, there is that as well. Oddly enough not every OE charger can handle fast-charge current.
    The M8 came with a quick charge 1.0 setup. I find charging times to be quick from previous changers.
    Will be getting the quick charger 2.0 charger when available

Advertisement