Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Newbridge Town Hall Refurbishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Eh never knew we had one !!!
    Where is it

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

Its the big old church like building In front of the GAA grounds, beside Bradbury's . Hasn't functioned much as a town hall in years. With the new municipals coming in next year it will serve a purpose hopefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

JeffK88 wrote: »
    Its the big old church like building In front of the GAA grounds, beside Bradbury's . Hasn't functioned much as a town hall in years. With the new municipals coming in next year it will serve a purpose hopefully.

Forgive my ignorance, what's happening next year? Are You referring to the local elections?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

The government announced last year that they would merge several city councils with their respective counties eg ( Limerick municipal district ). It was also announced that the current town councils would be abolished in favour of creating municipals around the local electoral divisions that are currently in place.Local elections will be electing councillors into these municipals.
    Read more about it here

http://seanoriordain.ie/a-new-model-for-ireland/
    http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/LocalGovernmentAdministration/News/MainBody,31298,en.htm
    http://www.boundarycommittee.ie/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    Forgive my ignorance, what's happening next year? Are You referring to the local elections?

All town councils are being ended and in return, county councils are getting more councils in larger wards which will (probably) have some devolved powers.

Kildare-Newbridge is one of the 5 in Kildare (and one of the 3 large ones) and, should they need municipal offices, you'd imagine they'd use any renovated Town Hall.

Other ones are Naas (which has a town hall), Athy (which has a kind-of town hall), Celbridge-Leixlip (which has Newtown House) and Maynooth which has... absolutely nothing. May see the overblown Tiger-era plans for a civic centre suddenly brushed off!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the heads up Guys.

Leading on from what Ye say, will Newbridge still have the same number of Representatives as of today after the next election? Or is it too early to say?

Sorry, I am deviating from the thread here Mods. If You wish I could start another thread on this, or again, is it too early for one?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Le_Dieux wrote: »

Leading on from what Ye say, will Newbridge still have the same number of Representatives as of today after the next election? Or is it too early to say?

No.

Currently Newbridge TC has 9 members and the Kildare LEA has 6, so 15 total. Think there's currently 3 on both, so currently 12 unique seats.

New system has 9 for the Kildare-Newbridge area.

MYOB wrote: »
    No.

Currently Newbridge TC has 9 members and the Kildare LEA has 6, so 15 total. Think there's currently 3 on both, so currently 12 unique seats.

New system has 9 for the Kildare-Newbridge area.

So, dear ould enda is cutting down on cllrs. which is a good thing IMHO, BUT until he cuts the numbers of td's?

Thanks anyhow for the feedback MYOB

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭richiek83

Not sure even if it is refurbished whether it will get much use. A local councillor recently stated that he didn't want the money spent on if it wasn't going to be used after the refurbishment. The current structure is in danger of going into dereliction.

The new Municipal Councillors will also be members of Kildare County Council. Kildare CC will see an increase from 25 to 40 councillors which reflect the increased population This is from the Local Electoral Report released just a few weeks ago. Nationally, the number of councillors is being reduced from 1600 to around 950.

On a side note, the Draft Newbridge Local Area Plan is on public display here, I intend on making a submission and would encourage others to do so also. Closing date is the 16th July 2013.

http://kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/Planning/DevelopmentPlans/LocalAreaPlans/DraftNewbridgeLAP2013-2019/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

richiek83 wrote: »
    Not sure even if it is refurbished whether it will get much use. A local councillor recently stated that he didn't want the money spent on if it wasn't going to be used after the refurbishment. The current structure is in danger of going into dereliction.

The new Municipal Councillors will also be members of Kildare County Council. Kildare CC will see an increase from 25 to 40 councillors which reflect the increased population This is from the Local Electoral Report released just a few weeks ago. Nationally, the number of councillors is being reduced from 1600 to around 950.

On a side note, the Draft Newbridge Local Area Plan is on public display here, I intend on making a submission and would encourage others to do so also. Closing date is the 16th July 2013.

http://kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/Planning/DevelopmentPlans/LocalAreaPlans/DraftNewbridgeLAP2013-2019/

I'd definitely recommend people in Newbridge look at this and make submissions. You can also make suggestions about the town hall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Given the sidetracking on next year's local elections, I thought I'd start a separate thread here.

Advertisement