Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old engineering drawings (pre-1930...)

• 09-08-2014 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all, first time posting here so not quite sure how this works, but here goes...

I have searched all over the internet, but I can't find any antique engineering drawings anywhere.

I am looking for something pre-1930 (preferably pre-1900), civil engineering related...again, preference would be for something port / coastal / maritime related.

I'd be super grateful if anyone had any pointers, or even any such drawings stored away in a warehouse somewhere that I could buy?

Thanks in advance!
    Simon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

I picked up some diagrams from encyclopedias/texbooks at the dublin flea market recently, if they're the sort of thing might do? A4 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Simpleton82

Hi Prenderb,

Thanks for the offer...I'm actually looking for ones that would have come from an engineer or engineering company, produced for a project or design. I guess the unique and documentary nature of a project-specific drawing is what appeals as much as the artistic quality.

Being able to read the title block and see things like initials, scales, dates, notes etc would be really interesting...

A lot of companies have hardcopy drawings in archived storage, but it's becoming harder and harder to find those companies, let alone the actual archives. For example, my company destroyed all hardcopy records dating back to 1940 a couple of years ago (before I had this interest)...everything is now saved in pdf.

I saw an exhibition in New York comprising some of Frank Llyod Wright's design and drawings...it was so interesting.

The search continues!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭cjpm

The NRA have drawings for Brian Boru Bridge, one of the very old steel bridges in Cork, they were originally rail bridges that opened to allow shipping pass through. I think they date 1913 or 1903. They might e-mail you a PDF if you ask nicely. Contact the bridge manager at the Cork NRDO.

Some interesting facts about that bridge on Corkipedia.com. Photos of it and other bridges also on that site. Put bridge in the search box to find them.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭con1982

Have you tried the National Archive? There should be records of harbour construction and civic buildings. You might be able to get some reprints.

http://www.nationalarchives.ie/research/research-guides-and-articles/guide-to-the-records-of-the-office-of-public-works/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭ozmo

Tons of Irish plans here - mostly military bases buildings - but occasionally there are descriptions of the installed machines, pumps etc.

Plenty from before 1900

http://www.militaryarchives.ie/collections/online-collections/maps-plans-drawings-collection/history

You could look for a place that will print them using colour stable "archival inks" - printouts done like this make for very good wall mountable prints - Ive seen old 1820's osi maps printed like this and they look very well.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement

You can go into the Cork city council building and look at all the cities civil drawings. Its an old microfilm viewer and you load in the slides, completely free to access. There must be the same setup in Limerick/Dublin/Galway.

A few euros to print them off for you then, but if you're nice about it, they'll do it for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Simpleton82

Thanks a lot for all the pointers folks...really appreciate all the advice.

I'll go through some of the links suggested and see what I can find.

Cheers!
    Simon

Advertisement