Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is Ireland generally a fat country, on average?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

bbam wrote: »
    You'll find them plodding round shopping centres as their pass time. That way they never have to walk up a hill and are never too far from a pizza or snack box.
    obesity is definitely a problem and it's on the rise, and seriously on the rise in children.
    Czarcasm wrote: »
    Won't somebody please think of the... Ahh fcuk it, I can't be àrsed, suffice to say that such silly generalisations and scaremongering just get on my tits. Nothing personal bbam as I guess when one hears it often enough in the media they start to believe it, but it's a misguided perception.

Obesity or anything even approaching it isn't on the rise in children. Their preoccupation with their body image IS on the rise though given that they are constantly bombarded with, and subjected to, all this nonsense.

They shouldn't be, and they should be allowed to be children, and develop naturally and normally, but with knee-jerk reactive parents feeding nothing but their insecurities, children's preoccupation with their weight is one metric that's unlikely to decrease in the future. If anything it's only likely to get worse.

Well actually this isn't media perception..
    My OH is a healthcare professional who deals with these kids on a daily basis.. If you think this is all media hype then you have your head in the sand.. its well documented that the irish population is getting heavier and heavier and there is an alarming increase in childhood obesity..
    Clinics for overweight and obese children are becoming the norm..

http://www.irishheart.ie/media/pub/factsheets/obesity.pdf

38% of irish adults are overweight, with 23% being obese.
    22% of Irish 5-12 year olds are overweight or obese

I suppose the Irish Heart Foundation are in on the hype too.. :rolleyes:

Given these numbers its expected that in years to come illness and disease related to obesity and overweight will cripple the healthcare system in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

(OT: I swear, I'll rip out that backspace button one of these days! Had my post almost written out and went to close a quote with "]"... hit the frickin' backspace button instead! :mad:)

Anyway, here goes, again:
    Well actually this isn't media perception..
    My OH is a healthcare professional who deals with these kids on a daily basis..

And you don't think this might color your perception somewhat? The fact that your OH deals with it on a daily basis just means that they would see this issue more often than say the average joe who wouldn't be as tuned into the issue as your OH and clearly yourself are.

I on the other hand, have spent years researching, studying and analysing not just obesity, but the whole spectrum of eating disorders and body dysmorphia.

If you think this is all media hype then you have your head in the sand.. its well documented that the irish population is getting heavier and heavier and there is an alarming increase in childhood obesity..

With all due respect bbam, I beg to differ, far from it being me with my head in the sand, I think it's yourself is suffering from blinkered vision, and I'll demonstrate why in a minute.
    Clinics for overweight and obese children are becoming the norm..

http://www.irishheart.ie/media/pub/factsheets/obesity.pdf

38% of irish adults are overweight, with 23% being obese.
    22% of Irish 5-12 year olds are overweight or obese

I suppose the Irish Heart Foundation are in on the hype too.. :rolleyes:

Given these numbers its expected that in years to come illness and disease related to obesity and overweight will cripple the healthcare system in Ireland.

OK, well given these figures then, and given that the latest data from the PDF you linked to is five years out of date - here we are five years later (or, the years have come, if you prefer?), so lets look at how things stack up -

From the PDF:

"Obesity is the most common nutritional disorder in the world"

Source: World Health Organisation, 2003 (Ten years out of date)

Fast forward ten years-
    Iron deficiency is the most common and widespread nutritional disorder in the world.

Source: http://www.who.int/nutrition/topics/ida/en/

Same source, just ten years later.

Now, here are some more "facts" and statistics from around the same time period as the sources in your PDF (1992 - 2009, I'm afraid I haven't time right now to drill down into where your sources are pulling their data from and correlate the figures and years):

http://www.bodywhys.ie/media/stats-facts/#_edn14

But as you can see, this is the reason why I personally anyway, hate applying statistics to human beings. Bodywhys.ie puts it better -

The statistics available on the prevalence of eating disorders are limited, and in many ways unreliable because of the very nature of eating disorders. The majority of these statistics are based on small-scale studies and inpatient records. Basing statistics on inpatient records can be particularly problematic, because of the limitation that the statistics refer only to those who have sought out treatment, and been admitted with a specific diagnosis. Those working in the area of eating disorders will acknowledge that the process of diagnosis is more often than not a lot less clear-cut than may be reflected in a statistic.

Source: http://www.bodywhys.ie/media/stats-facts/#_edn14

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Your numbers

National Below average
    You have a lower BMI than 87% of females aged 15-29 in your country

Global Below average
    You have a lower BMI than 74% of females aged 15-29 in the world

You're most like someone from Vietnam*

* Compared with other females aged 15-29 in Vietnam

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

woodoo wrote: »
    On the radio today they were saying that Brian O Driscoll would be obese if BMI was used.

It's intended for measuring the general population. Athletes are always going to skew such results and its a bit of an ignorant argument to bring up with it.

I just did the survey again in the OP there (I was on mobile yesterday so the link didn't work properly, BMI isn't recommended as a metric for an individual weight anyway but that aside...)

Your numbers

National: Above Average
    You have a higher BMI than 71% of males aged 30-44 in your country

Global: Above Average
    You have a higher BMI than 82% of males aged 30-44 in the world

You're most like someone from Qatar*

* Compared with other males aged 30-44 in Qatar

And it seems the country closest to the "magic figure", a BMI of 25, with a national BMI of 24.99, is Uzbekistan.

Well, as Borat would say-

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Yep, a nation of lard asses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I have Bangladeshi BMI. What a pleasing piece of alliteration.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭DaveDaRave

A big problem with artifical sweeteners is that the sweet taste encourages your body to expect sugar. Then when you don't give your body sugar it craves that sugar hit from any source it can get.

Another is that lots of artifical sweeteners affect how your body stores calories and encourages it to stores more fat than it otherwise would.

Link for further reading if anyone wants it.

even if it did i dont think it would outweigh the crazy amounts of sugar in regular soda.

(OT: I swear, I'll rip out that backspace button one of these days! Had my post almost written out and went to close a quote with "]"... hit the frickin' backspace button instead! :mad:)

Anyway, here goes, again:

And you don't think this might color your perception somewhat? The fact that your OH deals with it on a daily basis just means that they would see this issue more often than say the average joe who wouldn't be as tuned into the issue as your OH and clearly yourself are.

I on the other hand, have spent years researching, studying and analysing not just obesity, but the whole spectrum of eating disorders and body dysmorphia.

With all due respect bbam, I beg to differ, far from it being me with my head in the sand, I think it's yourself is suffering from blinkered vision, and I'll demonstrate why in a minute.

OK, well given these figures then, and given that the latest data from the PDF you linked to is five years out of date - here we are five years later (or, the years have come, if you prefer?), so lets look at how things stack up -

From the PDF:

"Obesity is the most common nutritional disorder in the world"

Source: World Health Organisation, 2003 (Ten years out of date)

Fast forward ten years-

Source: http://www.who.int/nutrition/topics/ida/en/

Same source, just ten years later.

Now, here are some more "facts" and statistics from around the same time period as the sources in your PDF (1992 - 2009, I'm afraid I haven't time right now to drill down into where your sources are pulling their data from and correlate the figures and years):

http://www.bodywhys.ie/media/stats-facts/#_edn14

But as you can see, this is the reason why I personally anyway, hate applying statistics to human beings. Bodywhys.ie puts it better -

Source: http://www.bodywhys.ie/media/stats-facts/#_edn14

But the children assessed in the report weren't patients nor accessing care when they were surveyed..
    They were regular school going kids and their school was chosen for the study.. Children from 28 schools from all over the country were selected.
    From these ordinary kids in regular schools 22% were found to be obese or overweight.

More adults and children in Ireland are now overweight or obese, this is not a good thing for them nor the country as a whole.

Aparrently many organisations disagree with you on overweight/Obesity being on the increasae or being a problem.
    over the past 20 years there has been a 127% increase in overweight and obesity, and Ireland now has the second highest rate of obesity in Europe.
    http://corknutrition.ie/childhood-obesity-the-silent-epidemic/

http://www.cuh.ie/index.php?id=129&items=68

http://www.growingup.ie/fileadmin/user_upload/documents/Second_Child_Cohort_Reports/Growing_Up_in_Ireland_-_Overweight_and_Obesity_Among_9-Year-Olds_Executive_Summary.pdf

http://www.irishhealth.com/clin/ffl/obesity.html

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0620/325806-pre-school-children-overweight-report/

OK, so I showed you bbam how statistics can be manipulated, misconstrued and twisted to support any argument, and you come back with more reports and statistics. Eesh! :D

But I had a quick readthrough of the links you posted anyway, and remember the scaremongering I talked about earlier? This is a fine example from our very own former Minister for Health, Mary Harney -

Tanaiste Mary Harney famously remarked that when looking to Ireland's future, she would rather look to Boston than Berlin. She may be right in more ways than one. The annual cost to the US economy of obesity-related problems such as cardiovascular disease, diabetes, cancer and hypertension, just some of the conditions that research has linked to obesity, is now in excess of $100 billion a year, according to the National Institutes of Health. In tandem with this, $33 billion is spent on (largely useless) weight-loss products and services.

And the media scaremongering I talked about? See how this line grabs you -
    Today's parents may be the first generation to bury their own children.

Source: http://www.irishhealth.com/clin/ffl/obesity.html

Obesity itself is neither a disorder nor a disease, but hyperbole like the above does nobody any favors -

The current health-care debate, when it focuses on food at all, focuses on obesity. Two-thirds of Americans are either overweight or obese. That is shocking, but in the national panic about obesity, we run the risk of making things a lot worse....

...Girls, particularly, get the message from movies and fashion magazines that the ideal body type is a wire hanger. But who among us doesn't obsess about weight? Pounds and Body Mass Index can feel like the sum of our worth.

Which means just about everyone gets to feel bad about his or her body.

If agencies attacking obesity aren't careful, they could inadvertently encourage more disordered eating. Obsessively counting every calorie as an enemy isn't hard. Moderation is hard. As generations of dieters know, changing habits is hard.

In the health campaign against fat, we should avoid bashing obesity and idealizing thinness, which only foster the self-destructive thought processes that characterize eating disorders from anorexia to obesity. Anorexics with jutting collarbones think they're fat. Binge-eaters often think, after eating too much, that they've already done the damage so they might as well keep eating.

Source: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/you-must-be-hungry/200909/is-obesity-eating-disorder

• Advertisement

I've no doubt that all the media talk about obesity is risky or anyone borderline tendencies towards eating disorders.

However this isn't a good enough reason to avoid talking about obesity or it's problems.
    Also it's a bit disingenuous to imply that so many reputable organisations are manipulating or misrepresenting the figures to somehow overstate the state of the nations overweight/obesity. It's been well documented both in Ireland and across Europe.

OK, so I showed you bbam how statistics can be manipulated, misconstrued and twisted to support any argument

You've said this before and it's not true this time either.
    Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean everyone else is also at the same level of ignorance

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    You've said this before and it's not true this time either.
    Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean everyone else is also at the same level of ignorance

Wow! Ironic AND insulting. Somebody's on a roll! :pac:

I won't turn the thread into a pìssing contest, but suffice to say you couldn't be more ill informed about me personally Kaiser tbh. However seeing as we're barrelling toward a brick wall yet again on this occasion, I'll let you think your opinion is correct.

I do not happen to share the same compulsion to win an argument on the internet.

Wow! Ironic AND insulting. Somebody's on a roll! :pac:

I won't turn the thread into a pìssing contest, but suffice to say you couldn't be more ill informed about me personally Kaiser tbh. However seeing as we're barrelling toward a brick wall yet again on this occasion, I'll let you think your opinion is correct.

I do not happen to share the same compulsion to win an argument on the internet.

I've no intention of entering into an argument with you either because it appears your method of arguing is to post streams of unrelated nonsense into an attempt to confuse or weary your opponent into submission.

But neither am I going let a statement like 'statistics can be manipulated, misconstrued and twisted to support any argument' (which is blatantly and obviously false) by without censure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Look, statistics CAN be used in a manipulative way. I'm going to use purely made up numbers to demonstrate. Let's say a survey of 100 primary schools is done and they schools are sampled to be representative of city/suburban/rural and socioeconomic factors. In each school they measure and weigh 25 children from infants, 25 in 1st/2nd, 25 in 3rd/4th and 25 in 5th/6th class. Approximately half are boys, half are girls. They have a fully representative sample and find that 20% of children are overweight/obese. They find that of children in schools considered to be in areas of low socioeconomic status 40% are overweight or obese. Then they look at the gender of these overweight kids and they find that girls tend to be overweight three times more frequently than boys - 30% of girls and 10% of boys are overweight/obese. Then they look at the age profile and find that the kids in 5th/6th class are the most overweight - let's, for arguments sake, say 60% are overweight and the gender ratios remain the same, so now 45% of girls and 15% of boys are overweight/obese.

So this is where the statistics can "lie". If they take the results of girls aged 11-13 in a school in a disadvantaged area and state "45% of children in the sample are overweight or obese", they aren't lying. They're just selecting the sample to prove their point - it's 8 out of 10 cats. Without an agenda they'd say "20% of children in Ireland are overweight or obese".

Which is why people say lies, lies and damned statistics. But it's not the statistics themselves that lie - it's the qualifiers (or lack of) that are given and whether any bias in sampling existed and is reported or not that matters.

So you have to look at the statistics in the context of who is producing them. If the Irish Heart Foundation is saying that 22% of Irish children between 5 and 12 years of age are overweight or obese, can we trust that statistic? Probably. There might be some bias in that they want to encourage exercise and all that, but they've no incentive to exaggerate the statistics. But we can go to the report to see if it's balanced. If they were promoting an agenda of weight loss and health improvement, then there'd be an incentive to sample to get high obesity numbers to get high funding and awareness, right? But instead they say,
    Long-term weight loss is extremely difficult to achieve. Adults who remain in
    conventional weight loss programmes can realistically expect a maximum weight loss
    of only 10%

They also quote where their statistics come from - Irish Universities Nutrition Alliance. Who are they?
    IUNA is made up of four academic nutrition units from University College Cork, University of Ulster, Trinity College Dublin and University College Dublin. By bringing together the specific expertise from these four nutrition units, IUNA has been able to involve itself in a broad area of nutrition and food research.

No cause for any bias there, that I can see. They're just researchers! They aren't promoting a product or agenda.

Then if we look at the study quoted by the IHF,

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http://www.iuna.net/docs/chapter2tables2_1to10.pdf

they've done their utmost to get a representative sample. Maybe farming backgrounds are undersampled. They've even gone so far as to compare with what the census found (Table 2.8) and it broadly agrees. The education level of the respondants is higher than the national average, so I guess that has to be taken into account a little. Are the children of those who did degrees more or less likely to be overewight than the children of those who left school after primary school? If they're more likely than the obesity numbers found are likely to be a bit high. If they're less likely than there's probably a higher %age of kids overweight/obese than will be reported. If there's no difference then the number should still be representative.

So I think it's safe to say that about 22% of irish kids are overweight/obese and whatever %ages reported for teenagers and adults are probably in the right ballpark as well.

What you do with those is up to you but
    * We know that excess weight causes health problems
    * Increased health problems cost money

Drawing some conclusions along the lines of "Ireland has a problem with excess weight" seems to be perfectly reasonable, given the available data.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

ya I'd say we are what Irish people general consider an okay weight is one that is a little aver weight but its all about body fat percentage not bmi
    apparently i have a bmi of 21 and are most likely an afghan and have a lower bmi the 84% of irish men

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Fizgig Bandicoot

BMI:22

You have a lower BMI than 63% of females aged 15-29 in your country
    You have a lower BMI than 53% of females aged 15-29 in the world

Did you know?
    If everyone in the world had the same BMI as you, it would remove 25,593,193 tonnes from the total weight of the world's population

Apparently I'm most like someone from Senegal! I think I'll take these findings with a pinch of salt!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Staff Infection

With a BMI of 19 it means I am lighter/more emaciated than 94% of Irish men in my age category.

However, I'll fit right in if I just take the plunge and move to East Timor, how bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

tbh, the majority of people I know are overweight ...not crazy obese or anything ..
    but for their height they're easily a bit on the heavier side.

I also think drink * has alot to do with being overweight. Although I know a few people who eat crazy amounts of food in a single sitting. Add that to the amount of people choosing take aways over real food.

obesity IS a problem, but not just one isolated to Ireland.
    ___

Apparently my bmi is most like someone from Nigeria O_O.

Advertisement