Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mc Donalds And Baby Changing

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I would have barged past into the ladies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

LordSmeg wrote: »
    Did you ask for a manager or supervisor ?

no. i left cause i literally just wanted to get out of there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Oh dear. I wrote in R&R earlier today about an experience I had with a lady needing to change her baby's nappy. We were in a restaurant, just about to eat our meals, when this woman put her baby on her lap and started changing it's nappy. I was like :eek: She did it in full view of everyone, didn't make any attempt to cover up. there were two toilets, as to why she couldn't do that in one of them I don't know. She was complaining about there being no baby changing facilities, when a) she'd brought stuff in from McDonalds up the road, b) if she could change it on her lap she could've done it in the toilet and c) she left right after doing that so surely it could've waited.

I was thinking to myself why didn't she go back to the McDonalds they'd obviously been to and use the facilities there, but then maybe they hadn't got changing facilities there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Zhane

So you complain on boards.ie rather than to someone who could have helped the situation? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭guppy

Does the centre itself not have facilities? How come it took you 30 minutes to get to your car anyway?

• Advertisement

Oh dear. I wrote in R&R earlier today about an experience I had with a lady needing to change her baby's nappy. We were in a restaurant, just about to eat our meals, when this woman put her baby on her lap and started changing it's nappy. I was like :eek: She did it in full view of everyone, didn't make any attempt to cover up. there were two toilets, as to why she couldn't do that in one of them I don't know. She was complaining about there being no baby changing facilities, when a) she'd brought stuff in from McDonalds up the road, b) if she could change it on her lap she could've done it in the toilet and c) she left right after doing that so surely it could've waited.

I was thinking to myself why didn't she go back to the McDonalds they'd obviously been to and use the facilities there, but then maybe they hadn't got changing facilities there.

That is revolting (I have 2 kids). No need to make a point by making other diners vomit.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 teishen

You should have told her to move and gone into the ladies anyway, sure none of the women would have minded seeing you've a baby to change. The only glimpse of a woman you'd catch would be one using the sinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Chances are you were dealing with someone who didnt know how to handle the situation and a manager would of had no problem helping you out.

teishen wrote: »
    ...sure none of the women would have minded seeing you've a baby to change..

am, what?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 teishen

am, what?

If you walk into the ladies toilet as a man, with a baby in your arms to change, no woman will give you any grief.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

Nah, she'll just kick you in the balls and scream:

"That bastards kidnapped a child!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

So i was in mc donalds today having a burger and had 7 month old son with me. eventually he needed to be changed so off i went to the baby changing in the toilets
    the next part enraged me. there was no baby changing in the gents and no disabled toilet, the baby changing area is only in the ladies.
    i asked a member of staff where was i able to change the baby and she said 'only in the ladies but obviously you cant go in there'.
    i couldnt believe it, the baby was starting to get cranky but she stood at the door of the ladies blocking it so there was no way i could go in.

im very angry over this, i feel its sexist that baby changing is only available in the ladies toilets. i ended up changing him in the car but could have prevented him crying for half an hour if baby changing was available to men. it was the donaghmede branch of mc donalds. im seriously thinking of ringing joe tomorrow over this and going further

thoughts?

I'm so jealous of your life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Nah, she'll just kick you in the balls and scream:

"That bastards kidnapped a child!!"

Then you have her for assault and defamation :) so long as you didn't kidnap the child ofcourse..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Call Joe, that is pretty ignorant of them, and it's a good story.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Simple. Don't eat in McDonalds. This incident isn't the only reason to justify such a move.
    Wtf :confused: Could you not just lob him up on the sink counter in the mens jacks?
    PinkFly wrote: »
    First world problem don't ya just love 'em
    PinkFly wrote: »
    Or in the cubicle on your knee??

Are you lot taking the fucking piss?
    What an age we live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Are you lot taking the fucking piss?
    What an age we live in.
    Suppose you go somewhere and aren't happy with the service for whatever reason. Do you suppose it is a good idea to keep going there? Indeed what an age we live in.

Someone posts an issue they had with a service, and one can not point out it might be worth not returning... And this is puzzling to people. I'm not understanding where you are coming from on this. Clarify?

You took issue to my post, and one calling it first world problems. Your angle on all this is unclear.

teishen wrote: »
    If you walk into the ladies toilet as a man, with a baby in your arms to change, no woman will give you any grief.

Is that a rule or something? I would be significantly put out by someone doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

If she blocked you from using the baby changing area, you should have handed her the baby and changing bag.

Suppose you go somewhere and aren't happy with the service for whatever reason. Do you suppose it is a good idea to keep going there? Indeed what an age we live in.

Someone posts an issue they had with a service, and one can not point out it might be worth not returning... And this is puzzling to people. I'm not understanding where you are coming from on this. Clarify?

You took issue to my post, and one calling it first world problems. Your angle on all this is unclear.

Because it's gender based discrimination obviously.

If someone offers a ****ty service to everyone, okay, just don't go there (though there must rules and regulations on facilities, quite probably ignored in this country).

If someone offers a ****ty service to one group and not another based on their gender or race, then we have a problem. That isn't too hard to wrap your head around is it?

If it helps you understand it, replace *Blocks door* - 'Sorry men can't use the baby changing facilities' with 'sorry, *Blocks door* 'Sorry, Black people can't use the baby changing facilities here. /shrug.'

Are you male or female out of curiosity?

Is that a rule or something? I would be significantly put out by someone doing that.

You should consider complaining any time you are in a place that only provides females with a baby changing facility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Public bars and restaurants are not legally obliged to provide baby changing facilities. Its a service they choose to provide at their discretion.

If the OP took them to court, citing this as evidence of gender based discrimination, he should expect to pick up all costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Babies sh*t - McDonalds sh*t - what's the damn problem?

You should consider complaining any time you are in a place that only provides females with a baby changing facility.

No I shouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

If someone offers a ****ty service to everyone, okay, just don't go there (though there must rules and regulations on facilities, quiet probably ignored in this country).

If someone offers a ****ty service to one group and not another based on their gender or race, then we have a problem. That isn't too hard to wrap your head around is it?
    No, it isn't (too hard to wrap my head around, for clarification). Thank you for clarifying. I guess I am just trying to (over?)simplify it in to a matter of voting with your wallet. Availing of alternative places that deserve the customers.

Oh, and my first post here wasn't in any way trying to devalue the thread in a "Oh, this shouldn't have been posted here, just don't go there". I actually find a lot of value in places being called out for sucky business practices. And think people should question whether they want to give money to whatever business on whatever basis.
    Male, and for full disclosure, I don't have kids.

IrishAm wrote: »
    Public bars and restaurants are not legally obliged to provide baby changing facilities. Its a service they choose to provide at their discretion.

If the OP took them to court, citing this as evidence of gender based discrimination, he should expect to pick up all costs.

Hardly makes it right though, does it? Many laws and regulations in this country are a joke. Old and backward.
    I wouldn't be surprised if someone could have success at a higher court, European based. Regardless, they should be shamed into sorting themselves out.

Are you aware of what the laws are regarding disabled toilets? Have noticed one hilarious setup regarding that... so curious as to what the laws are.
    No I shouldn't.

Then don't complain if someone uses the baby changing facilities.

I'll be honest, I wouldn't be keen on having people changing their babies ****ty nappies in front of me either.
    Baby changing facilities if provided shouldn't be gender specific, that makes not a jot of sense.
    No, it isn't (too hard to wrap my head around, for clarification). Thank you for clarifying. I guess I am just trying to (over?)simplify it in to a matter of voting with your wallet. Availing of alternative places that deserve the customers.

Oh, and my first post here wasn't in any way trying to devalue the thread in a "Oh, this shouldn't have been posted here, just don't go there". I actually find a lot of value in places being called out for sucky business practices. And think people should question whether they want to give money to whatever business on whatever basis.

Male, and for full disclosure, I don't have kids.

Male without kids also.
    The sad thing is that people generally won't vote with their feet/wallet.

If someone offers a ****ty service to everyone, okay, just don't go there (though there must rules and regulations on facilities, quite probably ignored in this country).

If it helps you understand it, replace *Blocks door* - 'Sorry men can't use the baby changing facilities' with 'sorry, *Blocks door* 'Sorry, Black people can't use the baby changing facilities here. /shrug.'

As a woman, I had to change my baby on my lap, in a cubicle many times. Not sexism, just piss-poor facilities. I dealt with it (as did many other women), why could a man not just adapt, as I, as a woman, as did numerous other women, had(have) to?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

guppy wrote: »
    As a woman, I had to change my baby on my lap, in a cubicle many times. Not sexism, just piss-poor facilities. I dealt with it (as did many other women), why could a man not just adapt, as I, as a woman, as did numerous other women, had(have) to?

What don't you understand, providing a service to one set of people and not another is discrimination. Is it that difficult to grasp???

• Registered Users Posts: 17,186 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Denying someone a service based on their gender seems bang out of order to me.

What don't you understand, providing a service to one set of people and not another is discrimination. Is it that difficult to grasp???

Well, its late, I'm tipsy and I'm going to assume that's sarcasm. If not, please pm me for full disclosure of my name, address and bank account number.....

• Advertisement

guppy wrote: »

So it's just about petty points scoring with you then, yeah? You're in good company in this thread.

On what planet is the situation described by the OP not gender based discrimination? Legal or otherwise aside.
    • If you have a penis, then go away. Your baby can stay in it's shitty nappy or do it on your lap in a cubicle, clean or not.
    • If you have a vagina, you can change your baby in our ample baby changing facilities, cmon on in, shine your shoes while you wait?

Them's the rules.

Your prior hardships where zero baby changing facilities were provided to anyone have absolutely no baring on this situation, but yet you want to use that hardship to score points against 'men' who want to change their babies in the same facilities provided to you, a female. WTF is that about? Do you hate men?

And how is it fair to the babies??
    • Oh this baby is with mum, you get changed straight away.
    • Oh this baby is with dad, well you stay in your shit filled nappy and cry your heart out baby, tough ****ing luck. Sure that's what you get for spending time with dad. Maybe he'll change you on his lap in the piss ridden cubicle, sure it's all you deserve for spending time with dad, silly baby.

If I had a baby and the mother of our baby felt the way you do, I'd be thinking, fuck, made the wrong choice there.

Advertisement