Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Weaning Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Got the lentil wedges recipe from the blw cookbook originally same as tonight's meatballs recipe. Had it for lunch with salad myself the day she was having it. There are good ideas in it for food we can all eat with little or no adaptation.
    Just looking through that blog this evening too. Some nice ideas in it alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Random post: Lidl were selling these baby bananas yesterday - perfect for little hands! They're a bit green so I have to put them in with the Daddy bananas to ripen :D
    They also have donut peaches, very tasty and my lad loves them!

I'm making the cheesy lentil wedges, hope they turn out okay! (I'm no cook!)

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Soooky

nikpmup wrote: »
    Random post: Lidl were selling these baby bananas yesterday - perfect for little hands! They're a bit green so I have to put them in with the Daddy bananas to ripen :D
    They also have donut peaches, very tasty and my lad loves them!

Love the peaches!! We stocked up on a couple of boxes of them and froze them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Just finished the last of our lidl peaches today! Delish! Little madam devoured it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭LH2013

Hi guy's thinking of starting to wean my little boy ... He is 14 weeks but I can not keep him fed ! Any tips to make it a smoother transition ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

LH2013 wrote: »
    Hi guy's thinking of starting to wean my little boy ... He is 14 weeks but I can not keep him fed ! Any tips to make it a smoother transition ?!

The guidelines are to wean onto solid foods at six months. Once baby can sit up in a highchair you're ready to go. I think 14 weeks is very young, is there a reason why you think he needs to start solids so early?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭LH2013

lazygal wrote: »
    The guidelines are to wean onto solid foods at six months. Once baby can sit up in a highchair you're ready to go. I think 14 weeks is very young, is there a reason why you think he needs to start solids so early?
    I tend not to explain my choices to anyone but the Public Health Nurse advised to start him and he can sit up in a high chair .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Have you tried that hungry baby milk (if you're formula-feeding?) I'd be inclined to try that before introducing solids at such a young age ... It can do permanent damage to the digestive system if they're introduced too young.

I tend not to explain my choices to anyone but the Public Health Nurse advised to start him and he can sit up in a high chair .

There's no need to be so defensive. The PHN guidelines are solids from six months old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

The smoothest transition would be to leave it as close as possible to 20 weeks. The who guidelines say 6 months but most parents want to start sooner.

Unfortunately, in Ireland, the phns aren't always the best for up-to-date information and can sometimes present their own opinions as fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Everybody's different and I can't tell you what's right or wrong for your baby. However I weaned my baby around 14 weeks as he was very refluxy and I hoped the heavier food might ease the pain. It didn't really help and it also brought along a string of gastro/wind problems that I suspect were as a result of an immature digestive system. The guilt I felt was immense and I absolutely wouldn't rush it again. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭kknitter

yellow hen wrote: »
    Everybody's different and I can't tell you what's right or wrong for your baby. However I weaned my baby around 14 weeks as he was very refluxy and I hoped the heavier food might ease the pain. It didn't really help and it also brought along a string of gastro/wind problems that I suspect were as a result of an immature digestive system. The guilt I felt was immense and I absolutely wouldn't rush it again. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Do you mean temporary gastro/wind problems or baby is still having trouble ? I am wodering if it causes long term effect.. I am worried if make the mistake.. Just looking for your experience..

Also, do you always visit the gp before starting solids? What do they check for to confirm if baby is ready for solids? I mean am wondering how do they know you can start solids early.. I understand they would always recommend to start at 6 months , hence what is the reason to visit gp.. People are suggesting me to visit doc before starting solids.. Hence wondering have any of you done it?

Yes temporary problems but the poor child was just miserable for a while.

I'm not sure what visiting the gp will achieve to be honest. They will probably recommend you hold off until 6 months so it mightn't help you make a decision. If you do decide to start early, just go very very slowly with tiny amounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭kknitter

yellow hen wrote: »
    Yes temporary problems but the poor child was just miserable for a while.

I'm not sure what visiting the gp will achieve to be honest. They will probably recommend you hold off until 6 months so it mightn't help you make a decision. If you do decide to start early, just go very very slowly with tiny amounts.

Did you stop then in few weeks if he was miserable n then start after few weeks? Or continued? I m really sorry if I m asking too much.. Feel free to not answer .. Thanks for your reply

kknitter wrote: »
    Did you stop then in few weeks if he was miserable n then start after few weeks? Or continued? I m really sorry if I m asking too much.. Feel free to not answer .. Thanks for your reply

No we didn't stop. I suppose at the time it wasnt that apparent that it was the move to solids that caused the problem and by the time I realised,he was probably old enough to be on them. Maybe he was just an outlier as he also had reflux. Anyway, if I have a second child and they're hungry I think i would firstly increase his milk supply and if that didn't satisfy him, explore an alternative formula such as hungry baby (even though I am completely sceptical of that). If you could hold out another 4-5 weeks and then started him it might be better. Only you know your baby though so its a judgement call for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Bagheera

Just looking for advice from those of you who breastfed up to 6 months then decided to change to formula as well as introducing solids. How did you make it go smoothly and avoid constipation and the like? I'm going to introduce my almost 25 week old to solids but after 6 months of very little sleep I feel broken and can't cope with feeding any more so I want to change him to formula also. My supply seems to be very low as both myself and my baby had tummy bugs early in the week, so he's feeding all night and getting frustrated. I had planned to fully introduce him to a variety of foods before considering stopping feeding but I just don't think I can take much more unless I get a nights sleep.

I found breastfeeds reduce dramatically when you introduce solids. My fella went from 10 feeds a day sometimes to three or four quick feeds and a big feed in the morning. So I wouldn't stress too much about introducing formula but if baby is constipated P foods help the problem, such as pear, prune, peas and peach. My first child had a bottle from an early stage but my second never took to bottles so at ten months I've decided to leave it because I'd be dropping bottles at a year anyway. I offer water in a zippy cup with meals and offer a variety of food in addition to the few feeds.
    If he's feeding a lot after a tummy bug its probably just to build himself back up after the illness, I know its really tough but it will pass.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Bagheera wrote: »
    Just looking for advice from those of you who breastfed up to 6 months then decided to change to formula as well as introducing solids. How did you make it go smoothly and avoid constipation and the like? I'm going to introduce my almost 25 week old to solids but after 6 months of very little sleep I feel broken and can't cope with feeding any more so I want to change him to formula also. My supply seems to be very low as both myself and my baby had tummy bugs early in the week, so he's feeding all night and getting frustrated. I had planned to fully introduce him to a variety of foods before considering stopping feeding but I just don't think I can take much more unless I get a nights sleep.

I found the milk feeds dropped off substantially too when I introduced solids. You can get a baby pro-biotic in boots that you can add to food and milk drinks, to help build up his system.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Soooky

Bagheera wrote: »

Hi! Not sure I can offer much advice really - we have already started the process but each baby is so different :)

Our ebf LO has had silent reflux and has also been very windy since day one - she also has frequent constipation but I put that down to her reflux meds. Despite everyone telling me I should start her on solids, I stuck to my guns and ebf until she was 24 weeks as I felt her digestive system was waaayyy to sensitive to start solids before then. We started slowly, introducing one food at a time and then combining them. However, at first our poor LO really struggled with terrible trapped wind and constipation upon starting the solids - especially so at night time :(. We give drinks at each meal and also throughout the day but had to resort to giving diluted prune juice a couple of time to get her to poop - the first week of solids she didn't poop for a whole week :eek: By week 3 her tummy had settled and she is happy now apart from the odd unsettled time.

We wanted to introduce a bottle of formula also (our LO had never really taken bottles and I got ill a few weeks ago and was told that I would have to go to hospital 1 and half hours away so as you can imagine I was distraught as to how LO would cope :(). We also thought it would maybe help her get a good nights sleep. We started on Aptimal Comfort, 2 oz's the first evening and gradually increased the quantity to 5 oz at the moment and this seems to the max that she wants. It hasn't made a blind bit of difference to the amount of times she wakes during the night though (sorry !!) but I am happy that at least we can fall back on the formula if I get sick again :) I'm happy to keep bf'ing the rest of the time for the moment. I'm interested in seeing what everyone else says - each baby is very different :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

I'm looking to wean bubs off a daytime bottle, how do I go about it? Just stop and introduce water?

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

loubian wrote: »
    I'm looking to wean bubs off a daytime bottle, how do I go about it? Just stop and introduce water?

I just stopped and made sure to give him plenty of water. The odd time ill give him some milk in his cup after lunch. It so nice seeing the bottles dwindle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

loubian wrote: »

I think we can start to introduce cows milk at 12 months. Maybe replace it with that instead. I dunno how it works. Weaning has had my mind boggled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭ Kane Salmon Syntax

My little fella is coming up to 6 months and he has been happily devouring solids since 4 months. So far, I have only tried him with pureed fruit and veg (which he LOVES) and on a typical day, he would have 3 solid meals- 1 baby cereal, 1 fruit and 1 veg along with 3 240ml bottles of hungry formula and some juice. The thing is, I want to add some variety and different texture now. He is starting to manage some lumpier bits of fruit and veg but still hasn't any teeth so I'd be reluctant to try anything too solid. Also, I'm unsure about whether I need to switch him to follow on milk. My partner doesn't eat any red meat at all so it's very rare that I buy any. I've heard that babies need a good iron supply at this stage.

My little fella is coming up to 6 months and he has been happily devouring solids since 4 months. So far, I have only tried him with pureed fruit and veg (which he LOVES) and on a typical day, he would have 3 solid meals- 1 baby cereal, 1 fruit and 1 veg along with 3 240ml bottles of hungry formula and some juice. The thing is, I want to add some variety and different texture now. He is starting to manage some lumpier bits of fruit and veg but still hasn't any teeth so I'd be reluctant to try anything too solid. Also, I'm unsure about whether I need to switch him to follow on milk. My partner doesn't eat any red meat at all so it's very rare that I buy any. I've heard that babies need a good iron supply at this stage.

At first, i started to offer combination of different fruits and veg at each meal. Then, I bought organic chicken and beef (M&S supermarket) and gently broiled each till tender. I puréed it in some of the broth it cooked in, put it into silicone ice cube trays and froze it. Once I felt he was ready, I added one cube of meat or chicken to his veg, at one meal. I slowly added more and more variety. He now eats chicken, fish, ham, beef, lentils, cheese, eggs etc.

Having a supply of frozen meat purée means you don't have to buy it very often - a tray of the beef I buy lasts him a month or more. I don't buy much meat for us either!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I'd have taken a similar approach to nikmup by adding more protein, first to one meal then to two. Breakfast stayed about the same. In terms of trying more textures try fork mashing or only a few pulses of the blender adding less liquid. See what the little guy can handle and adjust. Quinoa is a rich source of iron and can be added to any soup, sauce etc cos it goes mushy. Pulses, eggs, green veg also good sources, as are fortified cereals like ready Brek and super milk. Red meat is generally considered to give the most easily absorbed form of iron but there are plenty of vegetable sources too if you don't want to have to buy meat too often.

Just made H some baby beanz, and he devoured them :) Considering I could burn water (and actually have done in the past!) I'm proud of me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

nikpmup wrote: »
    Just made H some baby beanz, and he devoured them :) Considering I could burn water (and actually have done in the past!) I'm proud of me!

Sounds yum, my little Hoover loves beans. Any chance of a link to the recipe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

I unwittingly cut my 11 and a half month old down to two bottles of formula during this heatwave as I wanted her to have more water instead. Can I introduce cows milk now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I unwittingly cut my 11 and a half month old down to two bottles of formula during this heatwave as I wanted her to have more water instead. Can I introduce cows milk now?
    I gave both of mine cows milk from 11 months without any problems. They were getting some on their weetabix from 6 months so I knew they weren't allergic or anything.

Advertisement