Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Modern Family [** SPOILERS **]

• 09-09-2009 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Anyone who's interested in getting a look at ABC's new comedy with Ed O'Neill, the pilot is currently doing the rounds in the usual places. ***Please, don't ask us where you can see the pilot, as we can't give the answer***

I thought the pilot was hilarious. Very well written and some very funny moments. I think the series has a style very similar to the office or arrested development and really hope the first series does well ratings wise, because this will probably be one of my new favourites this season.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Great stuff - though cheesy as hell, I always enjoyed old "Married with children" reruns, so it's good to see Ed O'Neill back in a comedy.

BTW, the "official" US premiere is on Wednesday, September 23 so for anyone watching the pilot now, there will be about 3 weeks until a new episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Aww Peg..!

al.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

This fall’s funniest new comedy now boasts one of this fall’s biggest casting coups: Edward Norton!

The two-time Oscar nominee has closed a deal to guest-star on ABC’s uproarious mockumentary Modern Family.

In the November episode, Norton will play the bassist of a famous band whom Claire (Julie Bowen) hires as an anniversary surprise for husband Phil (Ty Burrell).

What’s Norton’s Family connection? (C’mon, you knew there had to be one.) He and Burrell are longtime friends (the two co-starred in an Off-Broadway revival of Lanford Wilson’s Burn This and in the second reboot of The Incredible Hulk). Also, rumor has it Norton watched the Modern Family pilot and loved it to the point of obsession. We’re talking watching it multiple times and memorizing every line kind of obsession.

You can see what all the fuss is about when Modern Family debuts Wednesday, Sept. 23.

Modern Family’s a hit!

The funniest new comedy of the fall attracted 12.7 million viewers in its debut last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

Just finished watching the premiere.

Good. A good new comedy. Maybe, in time, great. For now, it's one I'll continue to watch.

• Advertisement

Great pilot!

Damn fine cast of comedic actors.. with a very witty script and a suprisingly original idea.

I'm very impressed!

"Moar puhlease!"

Dunno, found it incredibly slow paced for ~ 25 minute show with practically no laughs at all. Can't really see why it's getting good reviews and all but now that the basic setup is out of the way, we'll see how it develops...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

J-blk wrote: »
    Dunno .. incredibly slow paced .. practically no laughs at all ..

WTF :eek: !
    Why The Face :P

Dunno, found it incredibly slow paced for ~ 25 minute show with practically no laughs at all. Can't really see why it's getting good reviews and all but now that the basic setup is out of the way, we'll see how it develops...
    Simply put, it was an intelligent well-observed and intelligent comedy - not dumbed down like the comedies coming out of the US of late.

On reflection, Ty Burrell (Phil) was the star of the pilot!

"I'm cool dad, that's my thang. I'm hip, I surf the web, I text. LOL: laugh out loud, OMG: oh my god, WTF: why the face"

EDIT: Snap Tarfhead! :D

EDIT 2: Wait a second..
    J-blk wrote:
    Great stuff - though cheesy as hell, I always enjoyed old "Married with children" reruns, so it's good to see Ed O'Neill back in a comedy.
    Eh... split personality, J-blk?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I watched both Cougar Town and Modern Family....i disliked Cougar, no interest....wheras Modern made me laugh, it had interesting characters and very offbeat stuff. So yes i think this may be the show to follow....one hopes it dosen't fall apart in subsequent episodes.

• Advertisement

Can i add i have always thought Julie Bowen could pull off comedy, she has the face for it...even though she's hot!

She did quite well in Ed etc.

basquille wrote: »
    Eh... split personality, J-blk?!

Nope, the original post was made when the pilot leaked and I was indeed looking forward to it, it had positive buzz early on and Ed O'Neill back in a comedy sounded promising.

The "cheesy as hell" bit was in reference to "Married with Children", not "Modern Family"...

I never got around to watching the pre-air though, so I only watched the "official" pilot yesterday and wasn't impressed by it. Yes, it is possible that some people don't like every single show everyone else likes...

I'll still give it a chance though, pilots can easily be pretty weak and in setting up a premise, get wasted a lot of the time IMO. But on the pilot alone, I'm not exactly thrilled about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Had another look at episode one, and it's even funnier the second time. It's incredibly refreshing to see an intellectual comedy come out of the US. Really looking forward to the next episode. This is easily my favourite new show of the season at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Just a heads up to those of us who don't have cousins in America, this is listed in Digiguide as starting on Sky 1 on 15 October.

Poochie05 wrote: »
    Just a heads up to those of us who don't have cousins in America, this is listed in Digiguide as starting on Sky 1 on 15 October.

@8.00pm if I'm not mistaken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

its a bit like that thing on bbc1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Eastenders?

Watched the pilot today, thought it was alright. I don't think I've ever seen a pilot that has been brilliant but there's always improvement with each episode, and this one has a lot of potential!

Jesus.. narrow it down, which "thing"?!

erm that thing with yerman from mock the week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭dubmick

excellent new comedy.
    Why the face
    lol

• Advertisement

the young family bits are like with "Outnumbered" and add arrested development, ill watch it for jule bowen

Yeah Julie Bowen is a good-un.

Episode 2 was excellent. Good to see all the humour wasn't used up in the pilot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭gazzer

I love the gay couple in it. The bit where they 'announced' the new baby was hilarious.

The guy in the gay couple who is related to the family is played by a great comic actor. He was very good in a show called The Class which for some bizzare reason was cancelled after 17 episodes.

Well, I wasn't impressed by the pilot but this episode was great - definitely showing potential now.

I liked all three aspects to the story as well and it had some great lines:

- "Meryl Streep could play Batman and she'd be the right choice".
    - "He keeps us grounded". "Yeah, like fog in an airport" :).

Ty Burell was great - best part of the episode. "Classic me" :).

I'm glad to see it's much better than I originally thought. None of the other new comedies have been too promising so far (Community is getting better too, but the jury is still out on that one).

Had the reverse effect, thought second ep. not as funny as the first....but the super hot Brandy MILF made up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭dubmick

Sky One are showing this from the 15th of October. Really loving it so far, very funny comedy.

Its one of the better new comedies

3rd episode is fantastic as well. The entire cast are excellent, even the kids. Manny was hilarious in this episode and loved the whole Jay/Phil storyline this week.
    I really like the format of the show... the interview style works really well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Yeah it's very good imo. Kinda like a cross between the Office (US) and Arrested Development (if at least 1 or 2 of the characters where likable)

Setups are a little predictable but the writing and acting is top notch

Advertisement