Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 - Won't Read Disc

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭eioneill

For anyone who has a Ps3 with a faulty laser and might be a wee bit dishonest. I know somebody who traded in their faulty PS3 in Game towards the PS3 slim. He said that they didnt even power it up to check if it worked. So my reckoning is the store may return the older models to Sony if they are not bothered even checking if they work.

The deal he got involved him paying €130 with his 'faulty' PS3 60gb. He got the new Fight Night and a 2 year warranty.

I'm not condoning this, jus passing on the information. :)

E

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

My only fear with my PS3 biting the dust is that I'll loose my 60GB launch console.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

lordlame keep us posted k.. i do NOT wanna pay 160 to fix the thing, it is their inadequate component and only the dedicated few dropped 600+ on the PS3's launch. should be free.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭knuth

Sony have gotten back to him and have agreed to fix it for free. He must pay a postal charge of €16 though.

I repeat, this is the SECOND time in 8 months that his PS3 has been fixed, TWICE, for FREE.

Another update.

He received the console from Sony 3 days after DHL picked it up from his house.

The refurbished console he receives is currently crashing everytime he's in a game.

Tried:

a). System reset
    b). System reset with soft format
    c). Full format
    d). System reset & full format

Still the same problem.

Been in touch with Sony *again* - they're replacing it for him *again*.

This is the third machine that's faulty!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Hi guys,
    I have a faulty 40GB PS3. Won't ready any discs at all at all of any description. I was wondering if I can get another PS3 that the HDD is gone in for example could I just swap the Blu Ray drives??

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

madmoe wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I have a faulty 40GB PS3. Won't ready any discs at all at all of any description. I was wondering if I can get another PS3 that the HDD is gone in for example could I just swap the Blu Ray drives??

Cheers,
    M

If you send it to Sony you'll lose the hard drive, but it's just a hard drive. Pop it out (you won't void any warranty) and back it up on a computer. You can get enclosures that will turn the HD into a USB external drive too, if that makes life easier for you.

Cheers man, got me sorted with a refurbed PS3. Well happy. Lets hope it behaves itself!!

Friend got his PS3 back fully repaired for free. As stated earlier, this is his third replacement PS3 from Sony and has not payed one penny (bar shipping €15 for 2nd & 3rd replacements) to Sony.

Fight it.

If you have a Sony reference number and ring Smyths I hear they can do good things :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,497 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Did your friend ring or mail sony,i mailed them on monday and iv still had no reply,

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

As someone mentioned, Consolerepairs in Bray are very good having dealt with them in the summer over the Blue Ray laser issue I can vouch for them.

Cost me 100 euros and took 2 weeks to sort out, 1 week for ordering, a day to fix and got there at the end of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭bibi-phoque

And Sony wants 160€ for an exchange. After multiple phone calls, they are not willing to do that for free (out of warranty).
    I already sent a registered letter to Sony Ireland asking for a free replacement as for me the firmware caused this (litterally after installing 3.10 CODMW2 would crash within 5 min).
    I don't have the receipt but I have the credit card statement (629.95€ in Tesco Tallaght, console bought in sept 07).

Now my options:

- Wait 2 weeks and see if I hear from Sony. Start a Small Claim Court against Sony ireland on the basis that their mandatory firmware (you have no choice but install it when you are online) broke the console. Bring the fact that a console that cost >600€ should have a life duration higher than 2 years.

- Bring the console and the credit card receipt to Tesco ireland and ask for a refund/repair/exchange, whatever is easier for them. If they are not willing to do this, mention the "Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act, 1980". If this doesn't change anything, start a Small Claim Court against tesco ireland, based on the fact that the goods have become defective and the lifetime of this item should be well over 2 years.

What is my best option?

Cheers,
    Yann

Call Sony and threaten them whit small claims.....see what they say then??

madmoe wrote: »
    Call Sony and threaten them whit small claims.....see what they say then??

I've done that already, and I asked them for the mail address of Sony Ireland. They refused to give it to me but told me that somebody would call me back. 2 days later, I got an email with the following:
    Thank you for contacting our PlayStation Support. We have been escalated your details and are sorry to hear about the issue you have experienced with your PS3.

As requested please find below the address for us here at Sony Computer Entertainment Irelands Head Office;

Sony Computer Entertainment
    1st Floor,
    110 Amiens Street,
    Dublin 1

Kindest Regards,

Playstation Ireland
    Customer Service Team

So they don't seem to scared of the SCC. Nevertheless, I have sent a registered letter asking for a free replacement and stating that I will start a SCC if I don't hear from them within 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Im going to be replacing the blu ray drive in a couple of weeks, will let you know how it goes.

Youtube HowTo's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 ThatGuyAgain

You cannot take Sony to the small claims court. Your contract of sale is with the retailer, not the manufacturer. So you can only take the retailer to the Scc.

You cannot take Sony to the small claims court. Your contract of sale is with the retailer, not the manufacturer. So you can only take the retailer to the Scc.

Even if I take the approach with them that the console became defective because of the new firmware that Sony released?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

He 's right. You need to deal with Tesco, not Sony.

Advertisement