Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Husband vs Kids.

Options
  • 20-10-2014 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I have been married to my husband for five years and we have six kids together included my own two (oldest two) they always seem to be at loggerheads. I get the vibe thay my husband dislikes my kids.

He hates their father, whom I have no problem with, and I am ok with that as long as it doesn't spill over onto my kids. Tonight I asked him to watch them for an hour while I grabbed an hours sleep. (Two babies teething at once is no fun) basically he refused and said "why should I, they're not my kids" so after a bit of squabbling I asked the question that has been on my mind for a while... Does the fact that i have kids with somebody else bother you? And he answered "sometimes"

My question to you guys is should I be offended? which naturally I am. Or am I over reacting? And if I am not, how should I tackle this Issue.

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

OP, I think your thread would be better suited to the Relationship Issues forum, so I've moved it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Yes, you should be offended because when he married you he implicitly accepted that he took on responsibility for your kids being part of the family. He should make an effort but you also need to drill down into what his issue is - does he have an actual problem with them?, Use open questions though to get him to rationalize his thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

Op, how long were ye together before getting married? Did ye live together? How were things then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Aint_No_Oreo

cactusgal wrote: »
    Op, how long were ye together before getting married? Did ye live together? How were things then?

We lived together for about 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Of course you should be offended, but he didn't say he dislikes your children, but that the fact that you have children for someone else, right?

I'd be extremely annoyed as to what he said but I'd want to know why he said it.. You say that your kids and him seem to be at loggerheads, could this be the reason? Even so, he married you and knew you had children, so it's up to him to be the adult here and try and develop a relationship with your kids.
    Did you try and get him to elaborate on what he said?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I don't think you should be offended that your husband answered you honestly when you asked him a question. That was an opportunity to communicate and for you to offer him any reassurances that he may have needed at that time. You have children with somebody else, I think it is understandable that that sometimes bothers him.

My fiancé has a son from a previous relationship and that can be difficult for me (and him) at times. Sometimes I don't know if I'm overstepping boundaries. Am I too motherly towards his son, would he prefer me not to do X or Y etc. Then there's taking the child's mother into consideration. It's a big deal and it's complicated.

Yes, he knew you had these children before he married you and maybe he's doing the best he can as a step-parent but it is a challenging role and I think it's okay to admit that.

What I would find offensive however is the remark he made when you asked him to watch your kids for a while - "They're not my kids"? That sounds pretty bitter. I adore my fiancés little boy and am happy to do whatever I can for him. I see him as a wonderful addition to my life and I'm very lucky. You and your husband should act as a team and be happy to be there for each other and offer support. I would definitely sit down with him and talk but try not to blame him. What he said may have come from somewhere else, like hurt. I'd probably focus on what he finds hardest about being a step-dad and seeing what you can work on together to make it easier.

I'm sure his comment must have hurt your feelings so I do sympathise with you on that btw. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

Anyone I've heard of that was involved with someone who had kids from a previous relationship took on the role of the "missing" parent, even if the real parent is around too. He's married you with those children, he hardly expected you to turf them out when he entered the scene! Not being a real parent certain situations might feel difficult to him (as well as you and their father maybe), discipline for example, or telling them to eat their dinner or buying them treats...

It's understandable that he'd have some ill-feeling about them not being his or that this now ties you and them to your former partner. It's a difficult situation, but that doesn't mean that it absolves him of any responsibility towards them as their step-father (step, but father none-the-less) or towards you as your life-partner.

It might've been in the heat of the moment remark, or maybe reflective of his attitude in general. You really need to have a sit-down talk about this.
    If he seriously meant what he said, that would mean you're married to him but are a single parent as far as your kids are concerned. Is that what you really want for your family life?
    He needs to understand that that's where it leaves you if he doesn't step up and help you. Who's going to pick them up from school, if you can't make it? If you can't ask him, then do you have to pay for after-school care out of your own pocket, or ask your parents for help? It just doesn't sound like team-playing or family living...

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Aint_No_Oreo

Thanks for replies. Don't get me wrong he he'll helps but he is begrudging most times. There is always an "us" and "them" mentality. He wants me to get rid of their father and deny him access which I will not do and seems to make my life miserable for that fact.

He says he loves them and cares for them the same as his own but I dont see nor feel it. We dont have a strong marriage anyway but thos os just something that I am not willing to compromise on.

He is a very immature person imo. He puts himself ahead of everyone and thinks like a single man. I am so fed up of being caught in the middle of my children and my husband. To be honest I feel like this is something that we cannot work through and I feel like our marriage is truly over.

My children are 11 and 10 so old enough to hear the disagreements concerning them. Old enough to be hurt by horrible comments casually thrown out like "**** you and your kids" "their not my kids" or "your **** kids" etc.

It really hurts and I am afraid it's damaging my kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for replies. Don't get me wrong he he'll helps but he is begrudging most times. There is always an "us" and "them" mentality. He wants me to get rid of their father and deny him access which I will not do and seems to make my life miserable for that fact.

He says he loves them and cares for them the same as his own but I dont see nor feel it. We dont have a strong marriage anyway but thos os just something that I am not willing to compromise on.

He is a very immature person imo. He puts himself ahead of everyone and thinks like a single man. I am so fed up of being caught in the middle of my children and my husband. To be honest I feel like this is something that we cannot work through and I feel like our marriage is truly over.

My children are 11 and 10 so old enough to hear the disagreements concerning them. Old enough to be hurt by horrible comments casually thrown out like "**** you and your kids" "their not my kids" or "your **** kids" etc.

It really hurts and I am afraid it's damaging my kids.

How awful op, your poor kids. Its not their fault he doesn't like their father, when couples break up its not easy to maintain a good relationship with the ex, the fact your ex has access says a lot about you and the relationship you want them to have with their dad.

The 10 and 11 year old are still very much kids and need your support, but he is just gonna give them a complex. They probably already feel he doesn't like them and are not wanted.
    Your husband sounds very immature and a bit jealous. Why does he want you to cut off access with their dad? Surely that will just drive a wedge even deeper and your kids will grow to dislike him even more if they can't see their dad.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jenneke87

Op, perhaps some family counselling is in order? You say your marriage isn't strong, he's childish and the children are old enough to pick up on the fact that their stepfather doesn't love them in an equal manner which will not help their self-esteem in the long run. Currently your house is a battlefield and not a healthy enviornment for anyone, I mean you need to take a nap and he will not look after the children he took on when he married you because their" not his?" If one of your children and is in trouble and ring him to come and help/do whatever what will he say then? Sorry, but you're not my child so help yourself?" This will only get worse OP, you need to act now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ladygirl

How dare he speak about your kids like this. And who does he think he is trying to put a wedge between the kids and their biological father.

OP as their mother it is your job to protect your children from this type of behaviour. Its just not on. This would be a HUGE deal breaker for me in a relationship. He knew you were a 3 person package when you met - how dare he resent those kids now that he has children of his own.

You need to deal with this immediately or your kids will end up majorly effected by this in the future!!

Your children are definitely better off without this in their life

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭kristian12

I am a step parent and over the years it hasn't always been easy and I adore my partners child (now an adult) and feel no difference in my feelings between them and our mutual offspring. I will say however my partner is very protective and does watch closely for occasions where they think I might show favouritism.

My partner told me from day one never to make her choose because I'd lose everytime. She said I was the adult and it was her job to ensure both were treated equally. She also expects the same from the families.

Your children deserve to grow up in a loving atmosphere and your husband has to change his attitude for this to happen and in my opinion if you don't believe this can happen then you have to put your children first and take them out of the situation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Throw him out on his arse, your kids deserve better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭deisemum

This is disgusting behaviour from him and it's absolutely disgraceful to treat them like that. You need to deal with this now and not let it continue or your children will have serious issues and you run the very high risk of them resenting you at best if not hating you for failing to protect them from such emotional abuse.

He'd do well to remember if you do leave him how would he like it if you met someone else who insist on you cutting him out of your joint childrens lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

We dont have a strong marriage anyway

I think this is primarily what you will have to deal with. If your own marriage is not healthy then you have little hope of improving the kids situation. You need relationship counselling but not necessarily focused on dealing with the kids.

Advertisement