Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preserving icing decorations from cake??

• 22-10-2014 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

I'm just wondering how I would preserve some icing decorations from the top of a cake for a keepsake or if this can be done? Would they decay over time? Anyone with any experience of this? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭phormium

Depends what they are made of. Put them in the hotpress for a few months to dry them out well, they will last a long time in a dry atmosphere. If they are made of modelling or flowerpaste they will dry really hard and will last reasonably well. If just made from sugarpaste they will dry out and harden but can soften again in humid weather.

Either kind should be kept out of direct sunlight as they will fade. Cardboard box or similar is best thing to keep them in, nothing airtight.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Dreamer21

I think they are made with fondant

That is sugarpaste. Best stored in the hotpress, could last for years in there but will deteriorate if kept anywhere dampish.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If dampness is the problem what about having them in a glass jar or sealed tupperware container with a packet of dessicant, like you get in pairs of shoes & other things.

I have never done it but would have guessed drying them out would cause it to shrink & deform.

Or if its a permanent keepsake could it be varnished over with something?

Drying them out does not shrink or deform them, they stay exactly the same. They shouldn't be kept in anything airtight unless you are are 100% sure there is no moisture in there, I have never tried them with the packs of dessicant, I store all mine in the hotpress. Varnishing is not necessary and doesn't improve the keeping capacity in fact can make it worse if you seal in any moisture. You can get a food spray glaze which is similar to a varnished effect but it can have a yellowing effect on the colours, it's not necessary really, they won't last forever but you could keep them for several years, I have couple of them approx 10 yrs old.

• Advertisement
Advertisement