Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Comic Creator Challenge

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Oh good, I'm glad to see it's not just me that likes the photo notion. I like the idea of incorporating aspects of the photo as plot points - it does make it more interesting. In fact, how about this:

Starting point is a (suitable) photo, with specified key points (eg persons/objects depicted, overall theme, colour palette, layout, use of lighting...). At least one of the specified key points has to be used in the context of the entries, in such a way that the comic could be understandably linked to the picture in some way. Anyone who wants to can use the photograph itself in their entry, but the entry still has to incorporate one or more aspects of the picture as some sort of plot point.

I'm kind of hazy about leaving "theme" or "mood" as aspects of the photo without explicitly defining them, because for a lot of photos they can still be open to interpretation (one man's photo of last week's happy summer picnic is another man's reminder of the wife he lost, etc). Although actually finding a photo that's worth using and is free could be difficult. (That said, going forward we can always have another round where people can take their own pictures and submit them).

Anyway, it looks like people are up for making things a little bit more experimental which is cool, so any ideas you have, throw them out there. (Another one that occured to me, although it'll probably prove difficult between scripting, storyboarding, and legal issues, was the comic equivalent of music videos - pick a song you like and make a comic that you think goes well with it. Though given that use of lyrics now requires you to compensate the artist, this could end up being costly or generally dodgy...)

Incidentally, regarding the design aspect - I've really liked the entries we've seen so far and I'm happy that people taking part seem to be enjoying the idea as much as I am, but don't worry too much about constraining your work as such to meet the requirements of print. I'm at the early stages of planning a new website for the whole endeavour which will better suit what we want to do (don't hold your breath; at the earliest it'll be several weeks before anything is moving with this, and realistically it's more likely to be at least 2 months), and one of the things I want to do is shamelessly ape what Chris did with the This Way Up site - namely, create virtual comics in Flash which people can download, so that they can read all the entries from any given round in one collection. The print idea is definitely not being discarded, but we have plenty of time yet and if necessary we can use some creative design approaches for the page layouts to get around it.

On another note (yeah I know, this is long, but, well, that's me :D) - I've been making a point to ensure that anyone who submits an entry is listed as the author of their respective work, and I will continue doing so. Does anyone have any objections if I put out feelers to folk like Mongrel about using the artwork that's been submitted? I figure the worst they can say is no, and it'll get people wider exposure and might also get more people interested. What are your thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Briony Noh

Fysh wrote:
    (one man's photo of last week's happy summer picnic is another man's reminder of the wife he lost, etc).

How did you know I lost my wife at a summer picnic???? (Happiest day of my life)

Okay, gonna read the rest of the message now...

Not so sure about the song idea for all the reasons you listed, unless you don't actually quote the song - possibly the title, but that's it. The challenge then would be to recreate the message/mood/flavour of the song in graphical form without using any of the words or music. Limitations I can see with this, though, include that not everyone has the same musical tastes, so the song would probably have to be either a) well known and thus probably overworked by now or b) one of several choices which I think might just defeat the purpose of seeing how different people explore similar themes.

The photo, though, is potentially an infinitely expandable concept. As you say, people can submit their own photos for consideration, but you could also create montages from disparate graphical/pictorial sources, jumble them up and let the challengees figure out what order they go in to make a story, re-drawing/excluding/adding-to where necessary to emphasise their chosen elements and personal slants.

But another less tricky concept might be to rewrite a fairy-tale as though it really happened. Or choose a news item and fictionalise it (obviously you can't use the Sun or the Star. That would give you too much of a head start). But these are probably writing workshop ideas more than comics. I don't know. What do you think?
    Fysh wrote:
    I figure the worst they can say is no, and it'll get people wider exposure and might also get more people interested. What are your thoughts?

I've never had a problem dealing with wider exposure (my case comes up on Thursday week, but honestly I thought it said 'Naturist Beach' not 'Do Not Discard Litter On The Beach' - you can see how easy it would be to get it wrong) so if Mongrel or anybody else is interested, so am I, even though I don't get who they are. I followed the link and I still don't get it. Probably won't let my mum visit it, though.

Fysh wrote:
    (yeah I know, this is long, but, well, that's me :D)

Mine can sprawl just as much, I just split them up more.:D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Briony Noh wrote:
    Not so sure about the song idea for all the reasons you listed, unless you don't actually quote the song - possibly the title, but that's it. The challenge then would be to recreate the message/mood/flavour of the song in graphical form without using any of the words or music. Limitations I can see with this, though, include that not everyone has the same musical tastes, so the song would probably have to be either a) well known and thus probably overworked by now or b) one of several choices which I think might just defeat the purpose of seeing how different people explore similar themes.

Yeah, I was thinking that for the song thing each person would need to pick their own song, which makes it a bit mucky....still, might play around with it at a later time though.
    Briony Noh wrote:
    But another less tricky concept might be to rewrite a fairy-tale as though it really happened. Or choose a news item and fictionalise it (obviously you can't use the Sun or the Star. That would give you too much of a head start). But these are probably writing workshop ideas more than comics. I don't know. What do you think?

I can see what you mean about the writing aspect, but I think it might be worth doing anyway. Part of making comics is writing in any case, and with these sort of things you get the opportunity to really work at the design angle, which is always good fun. I suppose the main thing is to make sure people don't just focus on the story and let the artwork suffer for it...
    Briony Noh wrote:
    I've never had a problem dealing with wider exposure (my case comes up on Thursday week, but honestly I thought it said 'Naturist Beach' not 'Do Not Discard Litter On The Beach' - you can see how easy it would be to get it wrong) so if Mongrel or anybody else is interested, so am I, even though I don't get who they are. I followed the link and I still don't get it. Probably won't let my mum visit it, though.

Mongrel do a freebie magazine every month which has a lot of the material listed on the site - they have carried a good few cartoons and interesting bits of artwork in the past so they might be interested in using some of the work submitted so far. I'll start badgering them about it and see what they say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 chrisfw

Totally Dublin is also running comics at the back i think in a bid to be a bit more like mongrel/vice freebie mags...so if mongrel say no, we can hit up the scandinavians, knowing mongrel fellas might suit them to raid it every once and a while.
    i'm liking the developments of the photo idea, cuz i think if we did all find a photo to start from, we could then take that as also setting the general tone/colour scheme/thematic elements/props...and like you said, each thing could be interpreted in whole spectrum of ways. and i also like the idea of each artist trying to do one pic in their own way. but i'm not quite sure if jamming these ideas together will be the right thing; eg maybe every person has to start with that photo as the first frame but in whatever way chosen ie it could be photoshopped, drawn in their style, just plonked right in...? that seems to be one way to go about it anyway.
    The song thing could also be used in a way maybe doing a wordless round- ie simply a visual reaction/manifestation of the song, which would still be a writing exercise in formulating what that might be, but avoids silly copyright stuff like using lyrics.
    i enjoy putting the writing and illustrating duties in the same box for these types of challenges, since they're never really serparate duties/entities (you're always thinking of the other when you're doing the one), and they end up back together again anyway! so even the ones that might seem like more writing choices i think would be good challenges cuz we still have to bring it to the page...(this coming from the person who likes writing for artists cuz he can't draw for ****e and has to adopt a simplistic style for that same reason...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 LucyR

rewriting fairy tales is a bit rohal dahl, that said i used to do it a lot when i was in primary school...

i'd rather the photo idea, though, the sort of photo to be used could be a toughone to decide on... a purdy landscape, a picture of some vilian, maybe my messy bedroom and the tales it may hide :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Fysh wrote:
    Anyway, it looks like people are up for making things a little bit more experimental which is cool, so any ideas you have, throw them out there. (Another one that occured to me, although it'll probably prove difficult between scripting, storyboarding, and legal issues, was the comic equivalent of music videos - pick a song you like and make a comic that you think goes well with it. Though given that use of lyrics now requires you to compensate the artist, this could end up being costly or generally dodgy...)

the majority of my illustration work and my entire 24 hour comic last year was based on songs [had friends give me songs and listened to one song per hour] I just used the music as inspiration, in some cases the conection between the art and song was very absract. You don't have to use the actually lyrics for a comic. With the 24 hour comic i made sure friends gave me songs i'd never heard so I didn't have a preconceived images for the music i really just went with my what my imagination told me.

so i guess the whole point of that was you could use music if you wanted to :p

Okey kokey karaoke! Round 4 is now under way!

The subject for this round is "Burning Truth", or if you prefer, any other permutation of the two words/ideas that better suits.

The deadline for entry submission is the 21st of August. While you're working on your entries, bear in mind that Round 5 is going to use a photograph as the starting point so start looking - anything you find or want to suggest, either email it to me or post it as an attachment to a comment in this thread, and we'll decide which one to go with.

I'm mailing everyone who's taken part so far, but poke anyone you know who might be interested with the details.

Onwards! :)

wooo :) two panels done and most of the rough work. only black pen i had to hand was a bic so don't be expecting miracles!

• Advertisement

Good stuff! In fact, another idea I'm curious about is for anyone with the means to document how they make their comic (the idea arising chiefly from looking at Sgraffito's entries and wondering how she makes her pieces look so unique).

So anyone who wants to, feel free to make notes/take pictures/make scans of rough work and send them onto me as well as your entries. We could have a little "Making of" section to complement the entries. If nothing else, it's a novelty, and it would give people a chance to pick up ideas/attempt to steal a given style more easily ;)

For the comedy value, my progress so far includes :
    • writing a script for a 6-8 page comic;
    • doing rough layouts/drafts of the first 5 pages;
    • getting somewhat annoyed and the script in question;
    • writing another 6-8 page comic script that serves as a prequel to the original script (the prequel involving significant use of colour, just to add to the jolliness of it all).

At this rate I wont have a comic to show for it, but I may well have the makings of my own extended GN series by the time the deadline rolls around...

My process is completely undisciplined. I'll sometimes start by writing a script, but usually by the time I've finished the pictures, I'll completely re-write it for the finished frames. More often, though, I'll mull the idea over for days - sometimes weeks if I have the luxury of no deadline - and then one day I'll decide it's time I drew something. By now, I'll probably have the entire opening sequence framed and layed out (layouted??) in my mind, probably as much as a page, rarely more than two pages. I might also have the last sequence sort of generally roughed out (mentally), though if they aren't wuite that solidly shaped in my mind, I'll thumbnail the page a couple of times until I'm happy. As a consequence the first pencils are usually done and dusted in a matter of a few minutes.

The next pages might take a half-hour each as I try to keep the pace up without losing story. These days I don't necessarily block the page out until I have all the drawings done, then I scan them in at 100 dpi.

These are pencils, remember. Not very black in the blacks. So I tweak the contrast and brightness until I get definite line definition, which usually introduces paper artefacts that I'll want to get rid of, and sometimes the rubbed-out areas show through. Every once in a blue moon, these shades might enhance the picture or point out something I hadn't noticed on the paper and I'll use this - the Golden Floaty Guy in my last Challenge entry was only gold because the paper had a yellow tinge, for example. Otherwise, I'd planned a full-colour costume. I'm happier with the gold.

Now comes the smudgy finger. A lot of re-working in the lines, re-texturing and shading goes on now before I bump it up to 300 dpi (600 for big pictures that I feel deserve the attention) for the fine-tuning and layering. About now I'll have the page layout in mind and can start to segment the page. This way, I know which parts of the figures are going to be off-frame and can choose not to work them too seriously.

I clean up the edges and start cutting out the figures and their clothing, recolouring them individually with a quick HUE-SATURATION, linking layers of the same colours so I don't have to keep remembering the settings. Now the figures go into their frames and I start trimming and angling them with relation to each other and their background (which is usually just a jumble of lines at this stage).

With a page layed out and boxed, I might start putting in the text now or, more usually, I'll add that in on each frame as I go (I choose not to outline my boxes and baloons as I don't believe it's necessary and, in my view, separates the text from the image far more than is strictly necessary), in which case now I'll be thinking about the first re-writies as I work on the backgrounds. If it's buildings, I'll use the sketched perspective lines and convert them into shapes, often abandoning the original pencils altogether when I've finished, and using the pen or air-brush to add textures. For anything more detailed, I'll treat the pencils in exactly the same way I do the figures.

In proud sledgehammer-to-walnut fashion, I'll sometimes turn to 3D Studio Max to provide background perspective in locations that are going to be re-used often enough to justify it. These won't usually be detailed Max images, just your basic blocks and cylinders, life's too short, but they'll provide reference points for relative positions of things and perspective lines from various 'camera angles'. Again, depending on the time involved, I'll sometimes include figures or objects from Simply 3D or DAZ Studio or Poser to provide guidelines for positioning things in this 3D world. I stress I don't use the actual figures (except once, but I was in a real hurry) or objects (unless I design them completely myself) as I have at least that much pride in my own work. I think I used MAX for a logo a couple of times, as well, but there wasn't any real need. I just felt like trying it.

Occasionally, if detail is important, I might start a picture with a detailed pencil background, sketching in roughly where each character goes and then, after I've worked on the figures separately, I'll include them as their own layers.

The speech bubbles come from the default shapes unless there's a specific design I have in mind. No need making work for yourself. I'm using Simpson as the basic lettering font for all the dialogue at the moment. Sometimes, if the mood takes me, I'll try to colour the bubble and the speech in a manner appropriate to what is being said.

Finally, I get around to doing the logo. This can take hours, cos it's usually a bit of fun trying out a load of different styles and colours. I usually end up with about twenty usable versions of more-or-less the same thing, depending on which program I use.

As with anything, rushing the job shows in the finished work. But I'm dreadful for leaving things till the last possible minute, so I don't usually devote as much time as I should to each picture (the 24Hour challenge might test me on that quite vigorously), but I'll lavish attention on my favourites, often reworking (particularly) faces until I'm happy that they look like they're saying either what they're saying or what they're thinking.

Then I save the big files, flatten the image, render down to 120 dpi and sent it to you.

Anything for a laugh;)

You can probably tell from the foregoing that my biggest problem is keeping the story SHORT ENOUGH!!

(Can't "over-writing" be a skill too???)

Over-writing is not only a skill, but it's apparently the bane of many an artist's life - apparently some scripts can be so detailed and meticulous that there's no room left for the artist to exercise their own flair and make the page and panels work in the best way. (Another example is writers who cram too much dialogue into a panel or even a page, meaning that the artist can either draw lush panels which are then obliterated by text, or not bother and leave crappy looking drawings and lots of room for the text.)

Not much of an issue if you're illustrating your own scripts though - I'm certainly partial to the over-scripted dialogue part, to the extent that I've sometimes had to double the number of panels in a comic to properly accomodate the dialogue.

(Progress so far :
    • 2 pages of artwork and rudimentary colouring complete
    • 3rd page at the inking stage
    • rough storyboard of pages 4-8 (possibly 9) done
    • complete script done
    Considering my normal progress with these things, and the fact that I've already prepared another 8-page black & white "sequel" along with storyboard, I'm quite happy so far. No doubt my scanner will explode or something at some point to re-establish the normal balance of things.)

Right.

I've now got 7 entries including my own (was slightly delayed in its completion, but there you go) and I'll be working on the site update tonight. Hopefully it will be up tonight, but it should definitely be up by the weekend. I'll post up when it's done.

Round 4 is now online.

Round 5 will run during September and October (I'm thinking a provisional deadline of 31st October to give a bit of slack for those people - myself included :D - who want to take part in 24 hour comic day on the 7th).

I think we should go ahead with the picture-theme for Round 5, though I've not yet found a picture that struck me as being the perfect starting point. If anyone has any suggested photos, send them to me and I'll post an update by the 8th of September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Whos oisin roche and how can i get in touch with him?

I don't have any info on him other than an email address; I'll check if he minds it being given out and let you know as soon as I hear back from him. Bloody good entry though, wasn't it? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Twas, im looking for an artist for a graphic novel we are working on and i have people from the states interested but i'd rather look closer to home

• Advertisement

Just an FYI - anyone who wants to link to the site for the challenge can use www.irishcomicchallenge.com now that I've registered the address. Bear in mind that it may take another few hours for the address to go fully live as I've only finished getting it set up this morning.

I jus' had a crazy idea, as a result of reading this:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054985564

Perhaps this month's Comic Challenge could be from last month's Photo Challenge, if they're agreeable.

(Do we talk to photographers?? I don't see it in the guidelines.)

Do you know, that sounds really clever. Would save all the hassle of finding suitable photos and making sure we have the rights to use them. I'll PM rymus and find out what the deal is. Thanks for the suggestion :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

i suppose we could start talking to photographers.

we could either take the best pic for all, or if they have enough to give one entract each a photo of their own to work with

Right.

Sorry for the utter absence of any update on this, there's two possible reasons:

a) I was off at a wedding and on holidays, or
    b) I was and still am crap

Take your pick :D

That being out of the way, the next challenge is going to run throughout the month of october. I'm going with the photo idea - I was going to use the last round's winner, but preferred another one and am wielding the Mighty Hammer of BecosISaySo.

So. Theme and starting point for everyone is this picture. The only requirement is that the full picture has to feature, in some way, in the comic (ie a one-line reference to the picture or its contents will be viewed as naughty).

Now get cracking!

does the photo have to be photoy or can we redraw it completely? (well... just draw it anyway)

I guess it'd be unfair to demand that the actual photo file be used in the comic, so yes, redrawing it is allowed.

Demmit, sir, you make it almost too easy! I'll just have someone shoot her. Job done. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭the Shades

Ok mine is done and can be seen as usual on my devart page.

Ladies and gentlemen I give you; 'Pigeon Lady'

http://theimpossibles.deviantart.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭thumbninja

tee he he. nice!

Advertisement