Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UAE, DUBAI/SABIS TEACHING!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Rosesarered23

Hi! Just got placed in Ruwais. it wasnt a choice we put down at all. But im wondering did anyone else get placed there or what is it like? It seems very remote!

Hi Katie, just wondering did you do face to face interview or a second one online? I put that as my fourth choice as it looks like a cute little town but obviously prefer one of the bigger cities!

I did a face to face one in dublin. I woulda preferred a big city tbh. We didnt put ruwais dowb at all!

That's a shame, the way they described it to me was that it was up and coming so maybe it will be alright. Apparently it has a big mall just opened etc. I get it though I well will prefer to be offered a bigger city. Good luck whatever you decide. I also heard that after the year you can chose to be transferred to another school, which is what I would do if placed there and accepted it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 zb2311

Okay has anybody at all had an offer after having a second skype interview? whenever I email HR they seem positive as if I am still in with a chance, but it's unnerving that so many have had offers and there are a few of us still waiting :( is anyone else having a similar experience? I'm graduating next month from a psychology degree and I have little teaching experience, do you think this could be the reason why I haven't had an offer yet? Sorry for the rant guys just anxious! X

zb2311 wrote: »
    Okay has anybody at all had an offer after having a second skype interview? whenever I email HR they seem positive as if I am still in with a chance, but it's unnerving that so many have had offers and there are a few of us still waiting :( is anyone else having a similar experience? I'm graduating next month from a psychology degree and I have little teaching experience, do you think this could be the reason why I haven't had an offer yet? Sorry for the rant guys just anxious! X

Im in the same boat, have you emailed again? So nervous I won't get a place and am too graduating soon with little experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 zb2311

Im in the same boat, have you emailed again? So nervous I won't get a place and am too graduating soon with little experience.

Hey I did email them again and they seemed quite positive but still vague as to if or when they would get back to us all x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 lukedooley

BenR wrote: »
    I got the ISC- Dubai the address is Hessa Street, Al Sufouh-2,Near Dubai College. Does anybody have any information on this school and what advise would you have?

I have been offered a place in the same school. I don't know anything about it though so would appreciate any info if people have any.

Feeling a bit anxious about it all the more I deal with SABIS the more I see why people say they are not a good company to work for. I sent an email asking about accomodation and their reply was to say that will be organised when I get to Dubai. We were told in the interview that we could be living on the campus or about 30 mins from the school. The replies I have been getting through email have also been in broken English and can be hard to understand.

I am still waiting on my Garda clearance to send on to them.

Hey guys I put down as one of my choices to teach KG - what is involved with this... For example would you need to do everything with them like Math/English/music/PE(swimming) ???

• Registered Users Posts: 3 BenR

lukedooley wrote: »
    I have been offered a place in the same school. I don't know anything about it though so would appreciate any info if people have any.

Feeling a bit anxious about it all the more I deal with SABIS the more I see why people say they are not a good company to work for. I sent an email asking about accomodation and their reply was to say that will be organised when I get to Dubai. We were told in the interview that we could be living on the campus or about 30 mins from the school. The replies I have been getting through email have also been in broken English and can be hard to understand.

I am still waiting on my Garda clearance to send on to them.

I know a person teaching at the school and they said the accommodation is 20mins away. The area where you are accommodated is called Bur Dubai. Shes going back again next year and she advised me to go for it. So thats what im going too do. Nothing to lose in going for the year.

Yeah I reckon I will still go for it just nerves kicking in a I suppose.

Has anyone been sent any information on what curriculum they will be teaching? Have emailed them twice now asking for a syllabus but have not got word back.

Also has anyone sent on their documents to them via fedex or aramax? I was planning on just doing it by registered post with An Post Fedex is working out at €100 for an envelope.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Clodagh91

Luke, I'm sending my documents next week and doing it with DHL. The company I am working for at the moment have an account with them so it's cheaper for me but €100 is crazy money to courier documents. See what DHL rates are.

• Advertisement

I will have mine ready for sending next week. I got a quote for DHL for 80 euro still pretty expensive were you getting a better quote CLodagh?

Are you going to Dubai?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Clodagh91

Really expensive, yeah!! Since I'm doing it on my companies account I'm getting a really good price, it's working out at around €25.

No, I'm going to Abu Dhabi.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭M442

Hey guys I put down as one of my choices to teach KG - what is involved with this... For example would you need to do everything with them like Math/English/music/PE(swimming) ???
    KG teachers teach English (the alphabet basically) Maths (numbers, shapes and colours). there is music and PE but not in a serious way. You think of songs/games to play yourself with them. There is no swimming in KG. Its grand really.

M442 wrote: »
    KG teachers teach English (the alphabet basically) Maths (numbers, shapes and colours). there is music and PE but not in a serious way. You think of songs/games to play yourself with them. There is no swimming in KG. Its grand really.

Oh that sounds great! Thanks. Which school are you at? I'd love to go to Dubai!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 vanilla_bean

M442 wrote: »

Many school do swimming in KG but the PE teacher does it with them. The class teacher does have to get the kids changed before and after though.

KG this year has gotten a lot tougher for the kids this year, they now have 2 written tests every week and one computer test. English consists of teaching them to memorize a certain number of sentences per week, type them in a computer test (with absolutely no assistance) and then write the missing word in their written test.

Maths, on top of number, colour, shape etc involves mental maths where they basically have to memorize up to 30 sums a week and then write the answer in a timed, written test.

It's fine, I enjoy it but it definitely is not as easy as it was in previous years and it will only become more difficult as they experiment with different ways to test the kids. It is very tough on the kids with poor memory and attention.

BTW, we didn't find out what grades we were assigned until near the end of the first week of training.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 SarahHooli

Hi guys,

I've been offered a job with SABIS in Dubai, Investment Park. When I signed my contract the interviewer said becauseI didnt have a teaching qualification I could only teach infants, is this KG or just above KG?

Also, when i got my degrees attested at the Dept of Foreign Affairs and Arab-Irish chamber it cost me a fortune!! Was this the same for everyone??

Thanks x

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Rachel.Kerins

Hey guys :). Sorry new to this but I got placed in Muscat, Oman. Just wondering did anybody else get placed there it would be great to know people before heading out. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Silver_lining

Hello,

I have been offered a place in DubaI but it looks like my garda vetting will be a long time yet. When they request police clearance I am assuming it is garda vetting.

Is any body else having a problem with this, is there anything I can do to speed up the process, I have spoken to people and they said it can take 6 months... there has to be another way?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Julz2015

Hi Rachel, I got placed in Muscat, Oman too! Ill message you there !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Rachel.Kerins

Julz2015 wrote: »
    Hi Rachel, I got placed in Muscat, Oman too! Ill message you there !!

Hey :) I think I have the private message let me know if you get one back no idea how to use this either ha!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 lynchy09

Hey, just wondering. Does everyone that is teaching in middle school have a teaching qualification? I am not sure if it is required or not. Sabis say its not but I think to teach any level above KG that it may be, especially in the UAE??

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

I am so excited! Leaving in ten weeks! Who is going to Abu Dhabi? I am older than most of you guys posting here so am nervous about a huge lifestyle change. I am going out with two friends. One of them got a job in my school so we'll be living in the same apartment block. Just can't wait!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 deek1307

Hi everyone!!

I have totally decided last minute to apply for sabis I emailed them Sunday and they replied on Tuesday and asked me to fill in app form send cv details of Skype username etc and to send,it asap sent all that to them on Tuesday and got an email Wednesday saying thank you but haven't heard anything since... When did everyone else get their job offers?? Im conscious that I'm so last minute not a lot of time to get garda clearance etc sorted?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭permangulator

As far as I know there are no vacancies and people applying now are just being put on a waiting list!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 deek1307

In the email they sent they said there was positions still available and to send all my documents ASAP? I'm so confused :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Liquorice2

Hi, I've been placed in Sharjah - is anyone else heading there? Looks great and so close to Dubai :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Lhealy2

Jogathon wrote: »
    I am so excited! Leaving in ten weeks! Who is going to Abu Dhabi? I am older than most of you guys posting here so am nervous about a huge lifestyle change. I am going out with two friends. One of them got a job in my school so we'll be living in the same apartment block. Just can't wait!!

I hear ya, older than most heading over too I'm placed in Al Ain but my friend is living in Abu dhabi , it's only an hour away so I don't mind..ten weeks is just gonna fly eeeek!!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Trekky77

Hey guys I am looking for advice on teaching in Dubai/UAE. I haven't applied for anything yet as I was hoping to get a job lined up here in Ireland. Despite a good cv and references, it's been 40 something Job applications and not a sniff of an interview or a reply from a school things are looking bleak for September. I don't think I can face another year of subbing and short term cover.

How should I go about applying for Sabbis? I am wary about websites promising the sun moon and stars and then taking advantage of you. Any advice people? Would be greatly appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭permangulator

Lhealy2 wrote: »
    I hear ya, older than most heading over too I'm placed in Al Ain but my friend is living in Abu dhabi , it's only an hour away so I don't mind..ten weeks is just gonna fly eeeek!!

Al Ain is actually about 2 and a half hours from Abu Dhabi I'm afraid :-/ I travelled between the two once or twice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

deek1307 wrote: »
    In the email they sent they said there was positions still available and to send all my documents ASAP? I'm so confused :(

Lesson #1 on the Middle East: take everything your are told with a pinch of salt.

Most likely harvesting CVs should somebody pull out at the last minute.

Advertisement