Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Battery or alternator?

• 12-04-2014 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hey guys, just looking for a quick bit of advice about my car (99 Mondeo Saloon 1.6 petrol). Driving home a couple of days ago the battery dash light started coming on and off with no obvious pattern. FYI the battery is the original so 15 years old by now and the car has gone through around 110,000 miles. Today I got out my voltmeter and took the following readings:
    Engine off = 11.9
    Minimum electrics, engine idling 1k rpm = 11.3
    Minimum electrics, engine revving 2k rpm = 13.8
    Full electrics on, engine idling 1k rpm = 13.4
    Full electrics on, engine revving 2k rpm = 10.6

What would these figures indicate, replace battery or get the alternator repaired? I'd appreciate the help from any mechanic, electrician or know-it-all who can solve the problem.

Cheers in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Hey guys, just looking for a quick bit of advice about my car (99 Mondeo Saloon 1.6 petrol). Driving home a couple of days ago the battery dash light started coming on and off with no obvious pattern. FYI the battery is the original so 15 years old by now and the car has gone through around 110,000 miles. Today I got out my voltmeter and took the following readings:
    Engine off = 11.9
    Minimum electrics, engine idling 1k rpm = 11.3
    Minimum electrics, engine revving 2k rpm = 13.8
    Full electrics on, engine idling 1k rpm = 13.4
    Full electrics on, engine revving 2k rpm = 10.6

What would these figures indicate, replace battery or get the alternator repaired? I'd appreciate the help from any mechanic, electrician or know-it-all who can solve the problem.

Cheers in advance.

The one in bold is strange in the context of the others. Not a typo?

On the face of all you said, it's an alternator problem. Having said that, I don't think I have ever seen a battery still in use after 15 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

A simple rule, is around 13.5v at tickover, and 14.5v at a high idle. Alternator so.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 conorkeating

I thought the same about the battery, but I did have the AA out after the engine flooded or something and the car wouldn't start. He was surprised that the battery had lasted this long but said to hold on to that particular battery as long as I can - something about them not making replacements anywhere near as good as the original.

So that's 1 vote for alternator I guess. Was kind of hoping you wouldn't say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 conorkeating

Forgot to answer your original question Avns1s, not a typo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭greasepalm

i would advise doing both as old battery would have more resistance making altenator work harder,15 years best life or is that doggy years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If its any use to you, there is a lad on Ebay based in Mayo selling Alternator rebuild kits for small money.
    I rebuilt my Avensis one recently for less than €25.
    The hardest part was removing the Alternator, the actual rebuild took only about 1 hr.
    He has a load of videos on youtube under the name of Westronicsirl which give handy tips on dissassembling and renovating Alternators and rebuilding them.
    I have no connection to him apart from being a very happy customer who saved a lot of money by diy-ing it.

i would be wary of cheap fixes and no way will i see that altenator last,overhauls can mean bearing change and rectifier or other bits on a unit of 15 years or 100,000 miles

greasepalm wrote: »
    i would be wary of cheap fixes and no way will i see that altenator last,overhauls can mean bearing change and rectifier or other bits on a unit of 15 years or 100,000 miles
    And what do you think the fix I did involved?
    Slip ring, 2 x NTN bearings, new brushbox and rectifier,
    No reason to think that it won't last given that its all new componentry.
    You don't have to pay a fortune to rebuild an alternator, its not rocket science.
    When you buy a rebuilt one, thats all that has been done to it.
    Buying new is OK but you are looking at least 250+
    Up to you what you want to spend your money on I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭guil

CJhaughey wrote: »
    If its any use to you, there is a lad on Ebay based in Mayo selling Alternator rebuild kits for small money.
    I rebuilt my Avensis one recently for less than €25.
    The hardest part was removing the Alternator, the actual rebuild took only about 1 hr.
    He has a load of videos on youtube under the name of Westronicsirl which give handy tips on dissassembling and renovating Alternators and rebuilding them.
    I have no connection to him apart from being a very happy customer who saved a lot of money by diy-ing it.
    Dont suppose you have a link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

I agree about changing the battery when getting the alternator done. A bad battery can cause the alternator to go, as the alternator has to work harder. It can also cause the starting motor to go too.

Regarding rebuilding the alternator, I put a set of brushes into my dads Toyota Picnic alternator a few years back. The car now has over 250k miles and still going strong. The brushes cost me 7 euro from Toyota. I just had to solder them into the brush pack.

• Advertisement

CJhaughey wrote: »
    And what do you think the fix I did involved?
    Slip ring, 2 x NTN bearings, new brushbox and rectifier,
    No reason to think that it won't last given that its all new componentry.
    You don't have to pay a fortune to rebuild an alternator, its not rocket science.
    When you buy a rebuilt one, thats all that has been done to it.
    Buying new is OK but you are looking at least 250+
    Up to you what you want to spend your money on I guess.

more than i thought for that price:D

guil wrote: »
    Dont suppose you have a link?
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/goldlion_autoelectrics

Advertisement