Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chemistry and Biology (Becoming a Vet)

• 07-03-2013 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hi there, I'm taking Chemistry and Biology for Leaving cert, I'm currently in TY and just literally wasting my time as you probably know haha!

I'm doing these subjects for LC

English HL
    Irish OL
    Maths HL
    French HL
    Biology HL
    Chemistry HL
    Music HL

I would love to become a vet and I know it's hard so I want to start working on it now, Is there any advice you would give me so I wont waste the next few years on stupid things!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭BrianG23

Study...

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Music4Life085

BrianG23 wrote: »
    Study...

Thank You for your detailed answers! To avoid repetition I want advice on what I should be studying/doing

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jessiblah

First of all, find out between now and September what type of studying works best for you. Is it flashcards, a notes copy or folder? Do you make up raps or songs? Figure it out for each subject as they're all different (in Business I type my notes and have them in a folder, but in Biology I've flash cards, Chemistry is split between a folder and flash cards (depending on the chapter). Also, I learn my English quotes through rap ;) ).

Get everything you'll need ready. If you choose flash cards, buy an extra three packets per subject you'll be using them for.

Motivate yourself to start studying at the start of fifth year. Keep your class notes and home notes separate. Sure, look over your class notes, but by making your own out you'll remember them.

Have a safe place for all your notes. Keep on top of them. If you have less homework than usual, spend that time writing up notes on what you were doing that day. I like to make my Biology and Chemistry notes out on the chapter as we do it, particularly if we get homework. So if I'm doing Photosynthesis in class and we're given questions, I'll write up my notes on Photosynthesis after doing my questions.

I know I just said it, but I can't stress this enough - stay on top of your notes! Chemistry is very difficult to study just the night before I find. By doing your notes out every night or every second night, it will help reinforce it into your head what you did in class, and the night before a test you'll just need to go over your notes. Also, you'll save yourself so much time, effort, stress and hassle in sixth year, as your notes are all done. I found my forgotten about 5th year notes last weekend, and was literally thanking the Lord as it saved me so much time.

Look through the exam papers for both. The night before a test after your studying is done, go onto Examinations.ie or Studyclix and look through them to see how well you can answer them.

Titration and experiment questions are very limited on what can be asked, so expect repetition in it.

Also, for all experiments I write out/type any possible question that they could ask in the exam, answer it and learn the answers. That way you can get someone to test you and it makes them so much easier just overall.

In Irish and French, I recommend spending lots and lots of time on grammar. Get it perfect within the first few months to save yourself a world of pain. Even if you can, try perfect your grammar this summer. The book shops have some great revision books, and even I use a grammar book for primary kids in Irish.

Learn a seanfhocal, some verbs and a definition or two each night.

If I think of anything else, I'll tell you!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Music4Life085

jessiblah wrote: »
    First of all...........If I think of anything else, I'll tell you!

Wow! Thank you so much!!! I know it is really early to start thinking about LC especially since I'm in TY but, Since I need a lot of points I don't want to waste my time on like facebook when I could be getting prepared. I might buy some revision books just so I have an Idea on what the subject is about so I have prior Knowledge.

The rap is a genius idea for English Quotes!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

Advertisement