Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why is Kenny refusing an honest debate?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,478 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Or he's recognizing the truth in the classic maxim: 'Never argue with a fool because they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience'.

Enda has plenty of experience of lying as he did it throughout the whole General Election campaign. So he is at their level already as he is dirty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭swampgas

My objection to a leaders' debate is that it would make the referendum into a popularity contest. It should be a decision on the merits of the treaty itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Just saw Phil Hogan on the 9 O'Clock news. Where was he in recent weeks? :rolleyes:

Just saw Phil Hogan on the 9 O'Clock news. Where was he in recent weeks? :rolleyes:

Hidden away in case he ruined the "Yes" vote. You can bet your life you'll see plenty of him from now on (unless we have to vote again).

swampgas wrote: »
    My objection to a leaders' debate is that it would make the referendum into a popularity contest. It should be a decision on the merits of the treaty itself.

Is that actually really really true ?
    I suspect it's because you know he'd would do very badly in a debate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭swampgas

Is that actually really really true ?
    I suspect it's because you know he'd would do very badly in a debate.

I accept that Enda Kenny is not a strong debater.

How good or bad the Taoiseach is in debate should not be the reason you vote yes or no though.

If Enda Kenny were the world's greatest orator I would still be against it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

swampgas wrote: »
    I accept that Enda Kenny is not a strong debater.

As he lied his way to power it's fair to say he isn't much of a Taoiseach either :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Wild Bill wrote: »
    As he lied his way to power it's fair to say he isn't much of a Taoiseach either :D
    just because most people didn't want ff in power doesn't mean that whatever Kenny said was believed.
    FG & Lab were stupid for making promises as they had no need to do so; the electorate were always going to vote for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

John McGurk just said on RTE Radio that if the 'NO' side just shade it, Enda will probably pass the buck on to Simon Coveney and Lucinda Creighton - who actually did the hard work of numerous debates - while he hid away.

Would say a lot about him.

Says a lot about him ;)

• Advertisement

kbannon wrote: »
    just because most people didn't want ff in power doesn't mean that whatever Kenny said was believed.
    FG & Lab were stupid for making promises as they had no need to do so; the electorate were always going to vote for them.

So, even when he didn't have any reason to, he preferred lies to telling the truth!

Neatly sums up the politicians urging a "yes" vote :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Says a lot about him ;)

Lads nothing has actually happened yet and you're having a go like he's been out killing babies. Chill and let's keep things in perspective.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Neatly sums up the politicians urging a "yes" vote :cool:
    I didn't sum up the politicians urging a yes vote! I contradicted your point on how Kenny got to become Taoiseach!

However, how would you sum up those on the no side?
    (just for clarity, I thought the yes side were dreadful but the no side were much worse)

I didn't sum up the politicians urging a yes vote! I contradicted your point on how Kenny got to become Taoiseach!

Varied. The extreme left obviously still believe in the free lunch notion; some are far more realistic about our situation. SF are downplaying the pain involved even in a sane strategy, but their strategy is at least sane.

As the treaty doesn't have to be ratified till next March we're chucking away another of our cards for no reason other than the dreadful Kenny's desire for another pat on the back from Merkel & Co.

It's clear that the idea that we can "return to the markets" within a year is complete balderdash in the current economic paradigm, as is Noonan's "growth taking off like a rocket" baloney.

By the year end there are, in order of likelihood, the following possibilities:

(1) The "austerity consensus" in the euro zone will have completely collapsed

(2) The bailout system currently in operation will have been overwhelmed by the bankruptcy/default of Spain, Greece and perhaps several more countries

(3) The punitive German scheme for sorting the debt crisis will have been abandoned and a massive money printing will be underway and the ECB will paying national debt with printer's ink.

(4) The euro will collapse.

Of course, given the way the Germans and (their local quislings) are dodging reality all of the above could happen in sequence!

The sooner we inject sanity into the situation, the better chance of avoiding the worst. Voting "yes" will only encourage the Germans to keep digging. It is - politically, economically, strategically - the wrong thing to do - the act of a nation with the cowardly at the helm.

Captain Kenny and his crew think that if they close their eyes the icebergs really disappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

(just for clarity, I thought the yes side were dreadful but the no side were much worse)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,374 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Nonsense.

Enda Kenny is pragmatic enough to know that dealing with Europe is a matter of negotiation. If he went into a meeting with Merkel, threatening to bring the whole Euro edifice down, then he will be given very short thrift, much like the Greeks have been given.

Nonsense.

Enda Kenny is pragmatic enough to know that dealing with Europe is a matter of negotiation. If he went into a meeting with Merkel, threatening to bring the whole Euro edifice down, then he will be given very short thrift, much like the Greeks have been given.

Even if you were right, which you aren't, it doesn't change the central fact of his leadership - he lied his way to power :cool:

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Even if you were right, which you aren't, it doesn't change the central fact of his leadership - he lied his way to power :cool:
    Thereby securing his place in history as the first politician ever to do so?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,471 ✭✭✭✭Sand

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Thereby securing his place in history as the first politician ever to do so?

Certainly undermining his claim to be the first politician in Irish history to deliver transparent, honest and effective governance.

Sand wrote: »
    Certainly undermining his claim to be the first politician in Irish history to deliver transparent, honest and effective governance.
    I don't recall him claiming that.

The carping on about "lying" is a bit tiresome, is all. Politicians tell us what we want to hear so that we'll elect them. This is our fault, because we won't elect politicians who don't tell us what we want to hear.

If we want politicians not to lie to us, we're going to need to start electing politicians who tell us the truth during election campaigns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

The last thing enda wants is to do the dirty work. You've got a stubborn cow in Creighton who's willing to continuously regurgitate rhetoric, substantiating with more rhetoric.

Its almost like the bullsh*t never ends as fianna gael will be out and the next rhetorical party Fianna Fail will be back in selling us out. I feel like I'm sharing the same streets, shops and public transport with complete and utter morons and donkeys. To think that this cycle of boll*x can go on after all this makes me come around some very sad truths that cant be consoled.

The carping on about "lying" is a bit tiresome, is all. Politicians tell us what we want to hear so that we'll elect them. This is our fault, because we won't elect politicians who don't tell us what we want to hear.

If we want politicians not to lie to us, we're going to need to start electing politicians who tell us the truth during election campaigns.

“Our purpose now must be to redouble our efforts, to work even harder to deliver our plan to get Ireland working.

“These tough times require straight talk, so we will continue to be straight and honest with the people.”

Read more: http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Fine-Gael-convention-hears-Enda-Kenny-vow-to-complete-Irish-economys-transformation-145474235.html#ixzz1wd0YHc1f

I suppose its only a coincidence that it was dated April 1st but he did vow several time to clean up politics. He obviously didn't keep his word just like he didn't keep his election promises.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

Nonsense.

There's negotiation and there's sell out. The Unionists got the principle of consent copperfastened and decommissioning completed by playing hardball in the Northern negotiations. The Greeks got half their debt written off. The Spanish got their deficit reduction timetable rescheduled by refusing the existing one. We need to grow a pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,471 ✭✭✭✭Sand

LAWL

So, I remember Kenny running on campaign of reform and honest, transparent government. You dont.

Yet you you talk about "us" and "we". There is no "us" and "we". You cant even remember what Kenny said last time out. So how are you going to start electing the politicians who tell "us" the truth during election campaigns? The next time you see Kenny talking about honest, decent and transparent government you will think its the first time. Just like all the rest of the people you're talking down to about using their vote wisely to elect politicians who tell us the truth, blaming them for politicians lying to them.

Sand wrote: »
    So, I remember Kenny running on campaign of reform and honest, transparent government. You dont.
    Actually, I do, but that's not what you said. You can claim it's what you meant, but if you're going to argue with me for disagreeing with what you said instead of what you meant, save yourself the trouble.
    Yet you you talk about "us" and "we". There is no "us" and "we". You cant even remember what Kenny said last time out.
    I can. He didn't say what you claimed he did. It's a little bit ironic to try to win an argument about the validity of electoral promises by saying one thing at the start of the argument, and something else later.
    So how are you going to start electing the politicians who tell "us" the truth during election campaigns? The next time you see Kenny talking about honest, decent and transparent government you will think its the first time. Just like all the rest of the people you're talking down to about using their vote wisely to elect politicians who tell us the truth, blaming them for politicians lying to them.
    I don't expect politicians to tell us the unvarnished truth. I cynically expect to be lied to to a varying degree. I elect politicians based on what I think they are likely to do, rather than slavishly expecting them to fulfil their every campaign promise. And then I don't carp on about campaign promises being lies, as if it comes as some sort of surprise that a politician is unable to deliver on everything he's promised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

“Our purpose now must be to redouble our efforts, to work even harder to deliver our plan to get Ireland working.

“These tough times require straight talk, so we will continue to be straight and honest with the people.”

Read more: http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Fine-Gael-convention-hears-Enda-Kenny-vow-to-complete-Irish-economys-transformation-145474235.html#ixzz1wd0YHc1f

I suppose its only a coincidence that it was dated April 1st but he did vow several time to clean up politics. He obviously didn't keep his word just like he didn't keep his election promises.

:confused: Yes, I was hoping that within two months of making a speech, all of politics would be cleaned up and the economy fixed. Are you serious?

Are you seriously suggesting Enda ignore due process, law, legislation and just throw anyone who has any questions raised about them out of politics or in jail?

What exactly did you want done within two months? Did you want some purge or something? I am genuinely curious about this. Did you want legislation, people thrown in jail, people rounded up and sent to Gulags without trials or evidence?

:confused: Yes, I was hoping that within two months of making a speech, all of politics would be cleaned up and the economy fixed. Are you serious?

Are you seriously suggesting Enda ignore due process, law, legislation and just throw anyone who has any questions raised about them out of politics or in jail?

What exactly did you want done within two months? Did you want some purge or something? I am genuinely curious about this. Did you want legislation, people thrown in jail, people rounded up and sent to Gulags without trials or evidence?

Two months my a***. Sand is right. Kenny was making promises all through his election campaign. He was going to straighten out all that was wrong with politics.
    Where is the end to cronyism ?
    Where is the end to advisers pay rises ?
    Where is the end to not another cent into Anglo ?
    Where was the re-negotiation of the Banking bail out ?
    Non closure or running down of hospitals or services - ask the people of Roscommon for a start.
    Etc etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I elect politicians based on what I think they are likely to do, rather than slavishly expecting them to fulfil their every campaign promise. And then I don't carp on about campaign promises being lies, as if it comes as some sort of surprise that a politician is unable to deliver on everything he's promised.

Seems a pretty reasonable thing to do in a country that has coalitions!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

Two months my a***. Sand is right. Kenny was making promises all through his election campaign. He was going to straighten out all that was wrong with politics.
    Where is the end to cronyism ?
    Where is the end to advisers pay rises ?
    Where is the end to not another cent into Anglo ?
    Where was the re-negotiation of the Banking bail out ?
    Non closure or running down of hospitals or services - ask the people of Roscommon for a start.
    Etc etc etc.

Alright, well, if this is true, it sucks, so if you can kindly link all these promises to their manifesto, it would be helpful:

http://www.finegael2011.com/pdf/Fine%20Gael%20Manifesto%20low-res.pdf

Also, if you could link all these "lies" to the premise of a coalition rather then single-party government, that would also be great. It's your argument, back it up with some sources and links.

• Advertisement

Alright, well, if this is true, it sucks, so if you can kindly link all these promises to their manifesto, it would be helpful:

http://www.finegael2011.com/pdf/Fine%20Gael%20Manifesto%20low-res.pdf

Also, if you could link all these "lies" to the premise of a coalition rather then single-party government, that would also be great. It's your argument, back it up with some sources and links.

Not a chance that I would go to the trouble to do that for you.
    Do you not remember the promises yourself about Roscommon hospital, about a cap on wages, about not another cent into Anglo. Even their Five Point Plan ? Or are you choosing to do what comes naturally like turning a blind eye to it all. That would just confirm what I think about F.G. and their faithful followers i.e F. F. Mark 2. Let us just continue as normal in Ireland. It's all o.k. as long as we are in power.

Advertisement