Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish adverts depicting men as stupid and women as clever

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

I love how the reaction of a lot of us men-folk whenever we come across anything we find a slight on our sex. A huge amount of it almost always seems to be centred around the argument of "If the shoe were on the other foot...". It makes me laugh because it makes it sound as though we only care because our age-old right to be sexist is being taken from us and handed over to women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

A lot of these ads are sexist to both men and women, and men need to fight their corner on it too, just like women have been doing for years.

...and I'll happily get on board when people on here stop blaming me and actually blame those responsible for all this. I love a good strongly worded complaints letter, I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Candie wrote: »
    The effect is that men have no business doing anything around the house because that's what women are good at and old stereotypes are once more reinforced.

But.... BARRY SCOTT!

But.... BARRY SCOTT!

Diet Coke!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

spurious wrote: »
    Complain to the Advertising Standards Authority. If the boot was on the other foot, women would.

Zero point in this. I complained a few years, along with many others, about the "He drives, she dies" campaign by the RSA and got a message back to say fcuk off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

It's that FBD insurance one that get's me riled up.
    Where the family unveil a banner and some scobe robs the ladder.

Cue the man of the house pathetically saying "Eh...excuse me, that's my ladder", the robber takes no heed of his squirming query, so husband turns and calls the wife to assist him, where upon she just strikes a furious look at the camera.

It portrays the husband as a spineless doormat but such is the way with ad's like this.

The advertising world balances it out by putting the fear of god into Housewifes about the state of their jacks, on the off chance a fire alarm testing, hunky Fireman decides he has to take a dump in said jacks. :)

smash wrote: »
    Zero point in this. I complained a few years, along with many others, about the "He drives, she dies" campaign by the RSA and got a message back to say fcuk off.

Zero point in one or two people complaining, sure, but multiple complaints and they'll have no choice but to listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

SeanW wrote: »
    Funny how the European Union banned "discrimination" in insurance, yet "It's 4 Women" can plainly "discriminate" (on for example car insurance) as the day is long.

But I'm not finding any "It's 4 Men" retirement annuities and other areas where men used to get a better deal ... funny.

It's almost as if "discrimination" (however it is defined) is OK so long as the "right" people are on the wrong end of it ...

It's 4 women isn't an insurance company, it's a brand of MCL insurance who also have a young drivers brand and an older drivers brand, in other words they insure everyone. The it's 4 women is just marketing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

I read on another thread can't remember where about a man who made a complaint about the rabo ads (any bank) portraying men in a negative light and the complaint was upheld, and since reading the thread, they've done a second ad with the woman being the dunce. So if they believe there is adequate grounds for complaint it will be upheld.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Candie wrote: »
    Diet Coke!

Diet Coke's great at removing stubborn limescale from around your kitchen taps.

I get my hubby to do it whilst wearing a PVC pinny with nothing underneath.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

I brought my niece to Paddington Bear recently, which is a film clearly aimed at children I think it's fair to say and yet Nicole Kidman's character slapped this guy's face in one scene and in another, hung him upside down and made some comment aludding to possibility that if he didn't talk, she would castrate him. Can't imagine a joke being made of female genital mutilation in a children's film but there you go.

Zero point in one or two people complaining, sure, but multiple complaints and they'll have no choice but to listen.
    Nope. There were multiple threads on boards along with other forums about that campaign with links to the complains authority. A lot of people complained and nothing was done. The reason being that statistics show more men have accidents, so it can be justified. That's just fcuking obscene!

Imagine a campaign "She cooks, he dies!!!!" because more women cook, so therefore more women give men food poisoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 1time

The whole commerical aim is to sell, hence hit on gender specific insecurities. If someone feels affected by them, sure complain.

*cat amoung pigeons* But if you feel that you have to rant about it on boards , well it speaks more about the person than the commercial.

Nope. There were multiple threads on boards along with other forums about that campaign with links to the complains authority. A lot of people complained and nothing was done. The reason being that statistics show more men have accidents, so it can be justified. That's just fcuking obscene!

Imagine an campaign "She cooks, you die!!!!" because more women cook, so therefore more women give men food poisoning.

How do you know they actually complained? And when you say a lot, how many are we talking here?

That ad is obscene, you're right. I'd argue that not enough fuss was kicked up. Women are more inclined to kick up a fuss en masse hence this stuff has changed to a degree.

I CAN imagine the consequences of an ad with "She cooks, you die". More would be done than just a thread started on AH, let me tell you.

How do you know they actually complained? And when you say a lot, how many are we talking here?

That ad is obscene, you're right. I'd argue that not enough fuss was kicked up. Women are more inclined to kick up a fuss en masse hence this stuff has changed.

One post here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67042074 multiple complaints through it. There were many other threads too on boards and other forums.

And this is an important post to read: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63489745

One post here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67042074 multiple complaints through it. There were many other threads too on boards and other forums.

And this is an important post to read: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63489745

I can't tell how many posters actually complained from that thread.

I don't think you understand the scale of women pestering the fook out of these agencies around the world - it's not just a 100 or so posters from Boards.

I'm not trying to dismiss what you're saying. I do understand and that ad was horrible and offensive but I see these kinds of threads pop up now and again and I know that the OP hasn't made any attempt at a complaint.

And when I get blamed as a woman, my sympathy for posters in here wanes somewhat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

IAnd when I get blamed as a woman

Terrorists have beards and you're a bearded lady.

Coincidence? I think not. :mad:

Women are more inclined to kick up a fuss en masse hence this stuff has changed to a degree.

This is a fallacy.

You think this because women are listened to, given air time and ultimately appeased.

When men complain they are generally told they are just whinging and should just go and do something about it rather than talk. You would never hear women get dismiss like this. There are lobby groups in place to make sure of it, funded by the tax payer indeed.

I mean, I didn't notice any women having to dress up like Wonder Woman or Penelope fcuking Pitstop and climb towers in order to draw attention to any of their concerns recently, have you? I also missed the march to have the Hunky Dory GAA ads pulled, what with them being so sexually exploitative and offensive to so many.

This is fine of course:

beaut.ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Abercrombie-Fitch.jpeg

This is a fallacy.

You think this because women are listened to, given air time and ultimately appeased.

When men complain they are generally told they are just whinging and should just go and do something about it rather than talk. You would never hear women get dismiss like this. There are lobby groups in place to make sure of it, funded by the tax payer indeed.

I mean, I didn't notice any women having to dress up like Wonder Woman or Penelope fcuking Pitstop and climb towers in order to draw attention to any of their concerns recently, have you? I also missed the march to have the Hunky Dory GAA ads pulled, what with them being so sexually exploitative and offensive to so many.

This is fine of course:

beaut.ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Abercrombie-Fitch.jpeg

You're right, it's my fault and I apologise.

Edit: Actually, why am I replying to a rereg troll with an axe to grind? Fook this. See yiz lata!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Please complain then. A million threads started on how sexism is acted upon if women are the target. Why? Because many women kicked up a massive fooking fuss. Do the same or suck it up tbh.

A few weeks back I registered a complaint with the ASAI about a radio ad in which a woman phones a dog training agency and tries to enrol her husband on the grounds that same ad with the roles reversed would never be aired.

They are currently "processing" my compaint. I will report back.

• Advertisement

A few weeks back I registered a complaint with the ASAI about a radio ad in which a woman phones a dog training agency and tries to enrol her husband on the grounds that same ad with the roles reversed would never be aired.

They are currently "processing" my compaint. I will report back.

You should get your mates on board too.

Karl Stein wrote: »
    Terrorists have beards and you're a bearded lady.

Coincidence? I think not. :mad:

It's more of an early 90s goatee, actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

oceanman wrote: »
    sure if it makes the little woman feel she is a bit smarter then men the let her have her daydream....no harm done as far as I can see..
    She being the fictional character in the ad?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Ads in 2015, lol. The only time you should watch ads is at the cinema when they play before the movie. At home you can just change the channel during ads if you're watching television and on the computer use adblock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

If anyone has watched Dont Tell The Bride on RTE2 it depicts the groom as the stupid man that couldnt organise a pissup in a brewery.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The SMA advert, implying no father ever makes a bottle for his kid, and the one example that is shown ismade look like a clueless idiot.

The SMA advert, implying no father ever makes a bottle for his kid, and the one example that is shown ismade look like a clueless idiot.

Yeah, here's many more made in the same vain:

dumbmen.com

It's the ones which excuse violence on men and dehumanize them which I find offensive. As an example, try and imagine an advert being made about women who have bought terrible Christmas gifts for men, which was to later show the women all in casualty department after having been violently assaulted by men as a result of them having made these poor Christmas gift choices: one woman with a broken nose, one with a kitchen utensil stuck in her head, another with a high heel having been stuck in her head and all rounded off with the last women bent over with a hoover pole sticking out of her arse implying she had just been raped with it. Would they make such an ad? Me thinks not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Y'all are watching too many ads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Give the fvck over. Who gives a sh1t? You obviously, but you shouldn't. Like all the women that run wailing about how some woman in some meaningless televisual diarrhea is being objectified, you, and them, need to man the fvck up. "Wah!! The bad ad people made me feel bad!", grow up the lot of you.

I love you all really. Mwah!

But seriously, toughen up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭spikeS

strobe wrote: »
    Give the fvck over. Who gives a sh1t? You obviously, but you shouldn't. Like all the women that run wailing about how some woman in some meaningless televisual diarrhea is being objectified, you, and them, need to man the fvck up.

Man up is an extremely sexist term. Stop using it

Advertisement