Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish adverts depicting men as stupid and women as clever

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    That's obviously wrong ,were clever !

You said it dude. Were. We're on the back foot now, the media said so.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,577 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

DONAL!!!!

Poor bollix.

Grrr...

Hate that bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

John! Did ya put the cat out?

Not only had he forgotten to do it, he nearly burnt the house down too.

This casual misandry has been going unchecked for years, I can't see it being challenged in any meaningful way any time soon.

It is the bullsh*t of man flu that really, really grinds my gears.

If I'm sick, I'm sick. If you ask me what's wrong, and I say I'm not feeling great, the response of "man flu" is going to result in me telling you to go f*ck yourself. There was an ad a while back that featured two clearly very busy women, both struggling with colds, but having to do everything because their men were laid up with it.

As if no woman has ever, ever felt slightly under the weather and made sure the world knew about it.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    It is the bullsh*t of man flu that really, really grinds my gears.

If I'm sick, I'm sick. If you ask me what's wrong, and I say I'm not feeling great, the response of "man flu" is going to result in me telling you to go f*ck yourself. There was an ad a while back that featured two clearly very busy women, both struggling with colds, but having to do everything because their men were laid up with it.

As if no woman has ever, ever felt slightly under the weather and made sure the world knew about it.

You're unlikely to be able to blame women for those ads. As few as 3 or 4 percent of creative directors are female, so it's men that come up with this stuff.

http://digiday.com/agencies/where-are-all-the-female-creative-directors/

• Advertisement

Candie wrote: »
    You're unlikely to be able to blame women for those ads. As few as 3 or 4 percent of creative directors are female, so it's men that come up with this stuff.

http://digiday.com/agencies/where-are-all-the-female-creative-directors/

Alright. Then those men are knobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Ally Dick wrote: »
    I've had enough of this. I've seen it a lot over the years. The latest one is the bloke who is acting like Gollum from Lord Of The Rings. He's logged on to about ten laptops researching the cheapest hotel prices. Then his clever wife says "just go to Hotel Deals.ie". He is hanging upside down at one stage as well, a bit like a baboon. There are also other adverts like this.

I for one wouldn't go on holiday with the fúcker. He stays up one night with no drink and goes dolally. If we're on holiday we're out all night drinking. I don't want this nutjob going off his tits in a bar or club hanging out of the lights. The wife would do well and good to cancel all bookings that tosser made and as for the idea of staying married to him, chuck it in the fúck it bucket and move swiftly on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

The thing is it stigmatises all buffoons. I think we should get our wives and girlfriends to organise a buffoon pride event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Boots ads are dreadful. But marketeers know women are more likely to be making the purchasing decisions so the ads are pandering to them, and they buy it hook, line and sinker. Actimel anyone???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

On the other side of it look at these ****e adverts - every one of them is a woman, as apparently men never clean around the house. Load of bs.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Remember girls - keep the floor well scrubbed & you'll be sure to land yourself a hunk! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

That stupid hotels combined ad is on so often and who would be in that state cos they have missed a few hours in bed. Then there's "Donal" I could puke every time it comes on, but the just for women ads are the worst they are so condescending.

The best ad on at the moment is the money supermarket one with Sharon Osbourne. That always makes me smile.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭dogcat

The itsforwomen ad is sexist imo. Saying that women are the "fairer sex", when we are both equal. Probably will complain officially soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭spikeS

The best ad on at the moment is the money supermarket one with Sharon Osbourne. That always makes me smile.

It's extremely condescending to lgbt people

spikeS wrote: »
    It's extremely condescending to lgbt people

I hadn't really thought about that to be honest but now I see what you mean. I just think it's meant to be light and fun. It's not wrong to poke fun at ourselves sometimes.

I hadn't really thought about that to be honest but now I see what you mean. I just think it's meant to be light and fun. It's not wrong to poke fun at ourselves sometimes.

Can't the same be said about any of the other sexist ads

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

If ads that are sexist against men are a successful method for getting women to buy products then that is womens fault irrespective of who comes up with the idea.

spikeS wrote: »
    Can't the same be said about any of the other sexist ads

Yes you are right. We all have our own brains and I definately don't depend on ad men to tell me how to live. It's just every time I hear "Donal" I feel like bashing my TV in cos I've heard it so many times.

psinno wrote: »
    If ads that are sexist against men are a successful method for getting women to buy products then that is womens fault irrespective of who comes up with the idea.

So even when men make ads that ridicule men, it's womens fault ?

Gotcha.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

DONAL!!!!

Poor bollix.

In fairness, at one point it looked like he was trying to kill his wife, but they reshot it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Letree wrote: »
    You would have to wonder what sort of effect it is having on the young minds of tomorrow. Your father, uncle, brother are buffoons, the women in your life are competent and reliable.

they are already getting that from Cartoons, anyone on here have to endure watch the episode of Peppa pig where all the mummies are fire people and all the daddies *attempt* to light a bbq?

sexism at its best :( ...but it's seemingly ok because it's only sexist towards the "buffoons" that are the men! :eek: :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,742 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

dogcat wrote: »
    The itsforwomen ad is sexist imo. Saying that women are the "fairer sex", when we are both equal. Probably will complain officially soon.

Didn't the EU force insurance companies to offer the same rates for both men and women not long ago? How can this company offer supposedly cheaper insurance for women only? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Pyridine

"He drives, she dies".

I wish it was more like this....in reality though it's more "He Drives, she dines!"
    Costs me a fortune she does! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭oceanman

sure if it makes the little woman feel she is a bit smarter then men the let her have her daydream....no harm done as far as I can see..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭SeanW

I particularly hate the Katie Taylor reverse sexism advert for women only insurance
    Funny how the European Union banned "discrimination" in insurance, yet "It's 4 Women" can plainly "discriminate" (on for example car insurance) as the day is long.

But I'm not finding any "It's 4 Men" retirement annuities and other areas where men used to get a better deal ... funny.

It's almost as if "discrimination" (however it is defined) is OK so long as the "right" people are on the wrong end of it ...

oceanman wrote: »
    sure if it makes the little woman feel she is a bit smarter then men the let her have her daydream....no harm done as far as I can see..

It's creating this gender war **** that is going on atm, if both side cannot admit we are equal the divide will just grow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Please complain then. A million threads started on how sexism is acted upon if women are the target. Why? Because many women kicked up a massive fooking fuss. Do the same or suck it up tbh.

It's easier to point and accuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

It's easier to point and accuse.

The time it takes to start a thread about it on Boards is the time that could be spent putting a complaint together and sending it to the Advertising Standards Authority. I haven't seen the ad in question but I did see one while visiting at Christmas and yeah, it's definitely worth complaining about. I have no time at all for advertising agencies but they're not there to make people feel great about themselves, they're there to make us feel as **** and insecure about ourselves and our lives as possible to buy stuff we don't need. There's plenty of sexist, offensive ****e directed at both genders but you HAVE to complain otherwise you're letting them off. Put your foot down!

Edit: If you think they backed down from sexist ads directed at women because they suddenly felt remorseful and wanted to make things right, you're wrong. Women had to complain their arses off to make that happen and luckily in these modern times we have advertising standards agencies to call them on their **** if enough of the public kick up a fuss. That's where you come in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

http://www.asai.ie/complain.asp

Link to the advertising standards authority complaint website, the more people who complain about sexism in ads the less sexism there will be in ads.

the one that annoys me most is I think for flash, its some bs fairy story about some dirty kingdom and a knight comes along and cleans the palace, whips the helmet and lo and behold its a woman. When I first saw the ad I was pleased thinking it was a man in the knight costume and thinking yes! we've progressed as a society but my hopes were shattered!

A lot of these ads are sexist to both men and women, and men need to fight their corner on it too, just like women have been doing for years.
    If the boot was on the other foot, there would be WAR

Women have created a situation for themselves that that sexism against women isn't tolerated so a lot of companies don't go there. Men need to stand up and start complaining about the negative effect this sexism has on them.

Advertisement