Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin school cancels workshop on homophobic bullying, saying “both sides should be r

• 27-01-2015 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

Dublin school cancels workshop on homophobic bullying, saying “both sides should be represented”
    A SECONDARY SCHOOL in Dublin cancelled a workshop on homophobic bullying just half an hour before it was due to go ahead today, reportedly saying that “both sides should be represented”.

Coláiste Eoin in Stillorgan was due to host the free workshop by ShoutOut, a voluntary organisation which runs classes on bullying around the country, starting at 11am.

The workshop focuses on encouraging students not to discriminate against LGBT people.

Howver when the group of volunteers arrived at the school, they were told that the event had been cancelled.

Declan Meehan, the schools co-ordinator for ShoutOut, said that the group was originally not given any explanation, before an unidentified person told them that the Board of Management had decided that “both sides of the argument should be represented”.

“My colleagues were baffled by this and questioned what he meant, but it wasn’t forthcoming”.

Meehan said that workshop had been booked several months ago and the cancellation was “out of the blue”.

“We’ve been out at Colaiste Eoin before back in 2012 and 2013,” he toldTheJournal.ie. ”It was actually the first school we ever did a workshop in and they’ve always been very hospitable to us.”

It is the first time that the group has ever had a school cancel.

“We’ve been running for about two years and we do between three and four workshops a week. We’ve been in all kinds of schools – Church-run, non-denominational, mixed, same-sex. We’ve never had anything like this before”.

A person who answered the phone at the school said that the principal “doesn’t want to comment” on what happened.

She said that the incident will be “going to the Board of Management” but did not elaborate on what exactly this meant.

http://www.thejournal.ie/colaiste-eoin-stillorgan-homophobia-workshop-1905500-Jan2015/

"Both sides of the argument"? I don't think that there's an argument to be made for the bullying of LGBT students. Or the bullying of any student for that matter. This is crazy stuff.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Know the guys who run the workshops, they were initially very unwilling to name the school. I'm glad they did, this sort of thing actually affects where i would consider sending my kids, and Colaiste Eoin was previously right at the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

So what the bully a need to be officially represented ,

Seriously idiotic stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

How can there be two sides to bullying, homophobic or of any other kind?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

What absolute dross

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Its not bullying to tell kids that they are intrinsically disordered, a perversion of Gods plan for humankind and doomed to eternal hell-fire unless they live a life of celibacy. It is religious freedom.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭NormalBob Ubiquitypants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Had a look at their website, but it seems to be in some kind of incomprehensible foreign language, with little line things over some of the words.

http://www.eoiniosagain.ie/eoin/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Had a look at their website, but it seems to be in some kind of incomprehensible foreign language, with little line things over some of the words.

That's just the old Irish language man, perfectly explains such a bafflingly conservative stance.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,078 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Dublin school cancels workshop on homophobic bullying, saying “both sides should be represented”

http://www.thejournal.ie/colaiste-eoin-stillorgan-homophobia-workshop-1905500-Jan2015/

"Both sides of the argument"? I don't think that there's an argument to be made for the bullying of LGBT students. Or the bullying of any student for that matter. This is crazy stuff.

That reminds me of the Dara O'Brian sketch where he talks about how TV programs have a scientist on discussing a scientific topic and to give "balance" they have someoe who hasn't a clue but believes in fairies or some such.

Sorry poor chjoice of phrasing considering the thread discussion. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

It's a Gaelscoil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

jmayo wrote: »
    That reminds me of the Dara O'Brian sketch where he talks about how TV programs have a scientist on discussing a scientific topic and to give "balance" they have someoe who hasn't a clue but believes in fairies or some such.

Or hilariously appropriate given where Dara O Brian went to school

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I think fools like this should be given a spot to speak. It will only do damage to their own position, I mean, can you imagine trying to justify bullying in a coherent argument? They'd look like the fools they are.

Fact of the day: Coláiste Eoin has the same motto ("Fiat Justitia") as the British Royal Air Force and the Eastern Caribbean Supreme Court.

Maybe we shouldn't mess with these guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,635 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Expect Iona parachuting in to provide the "other side"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,078 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

errlloyd wrote: »
    Or hilariously appropriate given where Dara O Brian went to school

Oh I forgot he went to gaelscoil.
    I always thought he went to Pres in Bray or some such.

I wonder will he include this issue in his next stage show. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

This is what happens when you start inventing titles like "homophobic bullying" instead of simply BULLYING.

If you want to teach people about homophobia then fair enough but you can see an argument for both sides being represented, which is what I think is happening here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

This "Both sides of the debate should get equal representation" bollocks needs to die immediately. It's the reason why diseases like measles and the like are on the rise in the US, because anti-vaccination idiots are allowed to air their bollocks, or why people in the states have seriously poor knowledge about evolution or climate change, or any number of other issues.

Fact of the day: Coláiste Eoin has the same motto ("Fiat Justitia") as the British Royal Air Force and the

No it doesn't

Per Ardua ad Astra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

jmayo wrote: »

Get in the feckin' sack :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

K4t wrote: »
    This is what happens when you start inventing titles like "homophobic bullying" instead of simply BULLYING.

If you want to teach people about homophobia then fair enough but you can see an argument for both sides being represented, which is what I think is happening here.

What argument could there be? Who would represent the other side?

• Advertisement

Gatling wrote: »
    No it doesn't

Per Ardua ad Astra

Sorry, it's the RAF Police I meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

An anti-racism workshop has been cancelled because "both sides should be represented".

Take in how utterly ludicrous that sentence sounded and ask why the hell homophobia should be treated any differently.

This country is ridiculous.

eviltwin wrote: »
    What argument could there be? Who would represent the other side?

John waters

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Bear in mind this isn't a debate, it's an anti-bullying workshop. There's no need for "another side".

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 34,367 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

That's just the old Irish language man, perfectly explains such a bafflingly conservative stance.
    It's a Gaelscoil.

Is it just me or are peoples sarcasm detectors breaking down at a much higher rate lately?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Links234 wrote: »
    This "Both sides of the debate should get equal representation" bollocks needs to die immediately.
    And if a homophobia bullying workshop focusing on discrimination against those who hold homophobic views was scheduled to visit your school, would you not be annoyed at the lack of equal representation?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

This has to be one of the most ridiculous things I ever heard

This was a workshop for kids on why they shouldn't bully people not some debate for the electorate or political discussion

whatever next......

I'm inclined to agree with the school's stance here, assuming they have had Satan adequately represented in RE and also some pro-smoking/drinking/drugs material distributed during sports lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,395 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Its not bullying to tell kids that they are intrinsically disordered, a perversion of Gods plan for humankind and doomed to eternal hell-fire unless they live a life of celibacy. It is religious freedom.

It's also utter bolloxollogy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

I'm inclined to agree with the school's stance here, assuming they have had Satan adequately represented in RE and also some pro-smoking/drinking/drugs material distributed during sports lessons.

and creationism taught in science class!!

Advertisement