Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Almost 500 cases of female genital mutilation identified in just one month in England

• 26-01-2015 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭

Almost 500 cases of female genital mutilation identified in just one month in English hospitals - Independent.ie
    An average of 15 cases were discovered each dayin November, according to data published by the Health and Social Care Information Centre (HSCIC).

Last November 466 cases of FGM were identified; while in October, the first month such figures were compiled, 455 cases were reported. The figures for December are expected this week.

Despite the apparently high number of FGM cases, no one has yet been convicted for the practice, which has been illegal in the UK since 1985.

Dhanuson Dharmasena is currently on trial accused of performing FGM on a patient at the Whittington hospital in north London, it is the first prosecution of its kind.

FGM is the deliberate partial or total removal of the external female genitalia for non-medical reasons.

It is often performed in north and east Africa, as well as in some Middle Eastern and Asian cultures, on pre-pubescent girls and is thought to mark the passage into womanhood.

John Cameron, the NSPCC’s head of child protection operations, called FGM a “barbaric practice”.

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/almost-500-cases-of-female-genital-mutilation-identified-in-just-one-month-in-english-hospitals-30935618.html

The French are sending their girls to the UK for the practice to be carried out;
    In contrast,neighbouring France has adopted a much less tolerant approach to tackling FGM. Its systematic examination of young girls has led to some hundred prosecutions.

‘’I think England is very tolerant because they put cultural relativism first," says Isabelle Gillette-Faye, a French sociologist. "So if in your country of origin, you cut your girl, then it’s possible in England as well.’’ Gillette-Faye suspects many French girls are sent to "easier" Britain to have the procedure done.

‘It’s easier to take the Eurostar to go to London, to a private clinic, and have someone cut the girl. It’s just easier, it’s less money than to go to another country,’’ she says.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/female-genital-mutilation-a-huge-problem-in-u-k-1.2439423

FGM has been illegal in the UK since 1986 yet only one person has been brought to trial, a trial that's happening right now. Evidently, it's an issue that isn't taken very seriously.

It's horrendous that people do this to their children in the name of religion or for cultural reasons. I hope that the British can stamp it out there, but I'd also hope that we can help stop the barbaric practice occurring in Africa and the Middle East too. Perhaps we can insist that education on the issue is provided to the people as a stipulation on foreign aid and development given to the countries where it's practiced.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

RobYourBuilder, more interested in Muslims than fran17 is interested in gay men.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

RobYourBuilder, more interested in Muslims than fran17 is interested in gay men.

Like playing bingo. Every f*cking thread I start on a "delicate" issue, I'm guaranteed that someone will try and deflect from the topic and take it off course by page one.

Well done, you're on the ball. Have an internet like that you so desperately crave.

Like playing bingo. Every f*cking thread I start on a "delicate" issue, I'm guaranteed that someone will try and deflect from the topic and take it off course by page one.

Well done, you're on the ball. Have an internet like you so desperately crave.

Close to the bone, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

FGM is disgusting, but it's not a Muslim phenomenon, its a wholly cultural one.

Ethiopia is a majority Christian country has 74% FGM, same for many other African countries. Iraq is a overwhelming Muslim majority country and has 8% FGM (still awful mind).

Conflating it with Islam is dishonest.
    There are around 2.8 million Muslims in the UK. 500 cases (if they are all Muslims, I'd imagine some of them are African Christians, Animist and other religions too) represents a whopping 0.01% of all Muslims in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Well done, you're on the ball. Have an internet like that you so desperately crave.

You only start threads on 'delicate' issues that reflect badly on Muslims or brown-skinned peoples.

As I've asked you before, how come nothing from you on the Roman Catholic Church or British establishment child abuse scandals?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭obplayer

porsche959 wrote: »
    You only start threads on 'delicate' issues that reflect badly on Muslims or brown-skinned peoples.

As I've asked you before, how come nothing from you on the Roman Catholic Church or British establishment child abuse scandals?

We have plenty of threads attacking Christianity, this one is about FGM and why Britain seems to tolerate it.

Close to the bone, eh?

Not at all, my pedigree chum. I find it amusing. What I do find bewildering though, is as to why a self proclaimed feminist is trolling a thread on a serious feminist issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭reprise

Scammy Pammy was a muslim?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,724 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Not at all, my pedigree chum. I find it amusing. What I do find bewildering though, is as to why a self proclaimed feminist is trolling a thread on a serious feminist issue.

When did Bodice ripper proclaim to be a feminist?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Your bewilderment probably stems from the fact that I am not a feminist, nor have I ever claimed to be.

Your threads have a common thread. I refuse to take your concern about FGM seriously.

• Advertisement

Would you like instructions on how to start your very own threads?

When did Bodice ripper proclaim to be a feminist?

I have described myself as a misogynist on boards on several occasions.

Your threads have a common thread. I refuse to take your concern about FGM seriously.

Childish logic.

The last scandal to come to the fore - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057353663&page=7

I'm the second last post in the discussion. Not my fault if the thread didn't gain much traction.

Childish logic.

Pattern recognition is present from a very early age, yes.

Your bewilderment probably stems from the fact that I am not a feminist, nor have I ever claimed to be.

Then would you take mine? I have never started a thread on Muslims or indeed Brown Skinned People but I still find FGM to be a vile, evil practice and am stunned that it appears to be so prevalent in Britain.

Rob, do you accept FGM has nothing to do with Islam?

obplayer wrote: »
    Then would you take mine? I have never started a thread on Muslims or indeed Brown Skinned People but I still find FGM to be a vile, evil practice and am stunned that it appears to be so prevalent in Britain.

Of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

OP, I know this is a serious concern, but you do start a lot of threads about muslims and immigration; that's why people think you just want to talk about the negatives of muslims rather than the specific issue at hand, or a more general discussion that doesn't just focus on muslims.
    I have described myself as a misogynist on boards on several occasions.
    Strange - you don't seem like you hate women at all.

500 cases (if they are all Muslims, I'd imagine some of them are African Christians, Animist and other religions too) represents a whopping 0.01% of all Muslims in the UK.

500 in one month.
    The failure to tackle female genital mutilation (FGM) is a "national scandal" with as many as 170000 victims in the UK, MPs say.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28127678

• Advertisement

Of course.

Then why do you think that when cases are found in Britain they appear not to be reported?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

What's the reason for FGM or the logic behind it ? Is it meant to make them less appealing or take the fun out of things for them?

Strange - you don't seem like you hate women at all.

I disguise it by being female and angry. That way I automatically appear to be a feminist to people aren't paying attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

A cultural ritual that has no place in western society. If the ladies wish to go ahead with it, fine but when adults and by choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

RonanP77 wrote: »
    What's the reason for FGM or the logic behind it ? Is it meant to make them less appealing or take the fun out of things for them?

Because women are sluts and need to be punished obviously. Best way to make sure is to do it to them at childhood, that way they will be chaste and know their place in society.

Apologies, so if, and that's a big if, it's all Muslims who are the involved in these cases, it represents 0.2% of all female Muslims in the UK, then it is more likely a cultural issue, with sfa to do with Islam?

OP, I know this is a serious concern, but you do start a lot of threads about muslims and immigration; that's why people think you just want to talk about the negatives of muslims rather than the specific issue at hand, or a more general discussion that doesn't just focus on muslims.

There are people in Star Wars forums that talk about nothing but Star Wars. Not my thing, but I don't think I would be made welcome picking them up on it and I certainly wouldn't expect a poster there to be harassed about it because it was Star wars that piqued their interest for whatever reason.

obplayer wrote: »
    Then why do you think that when cases are found in Britain they appear not to be reported?

But, if cases were found, they must have been reported? I don't follow you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

But, if cases were found, they must have been reported? I don't follow you.

They seem to be reported, just that nothing is done about it other than some hand-wringing and a few news articles.

• Advertisement

reprise wrote: »
    There are people in Star Wars forums that talk about nothing but Star Wars. Not my thing, but I don't think I would be made welcome picking them up on it and I certainly wouldn't expect a poster there to be harassed about it because it was Star wars that piqued their interest for whatever reason.

Is this the "Look What The Muslims Did Now" forum?

Advertisement