Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Not sure of the price but anyone can rent them afaik.

Is there any curfew or anything?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

thelad95 wrote: »
    Is there any curfew or anything?

Banquo can tell you about that...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Could if I wasn't blacklisted from there :(

Still, after all these years.

So.. There isn't a curfew?

Show your card at the gates, turn up. Security will check the list of names and let you in.

Try, try not to roar drunken abuse at them.

• Advertisement

banquo wrote: »
    Try, try not to roar drunken abuse at them.

I can't guarantee that won't happen :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

To be fair, they'd probably let you away with one drunken yelling session. After all, banquo notched up seven offences before they banned him.

Where exactly are the south campus rooms?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

Where exactly are the south campus rooms?

Opposite callan hall under the arch is where the reception is. The rooms are upstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭GrandBlaa

Lads, what time does the Reading Room in the Arts Block close on Fridays/the weekend?

Is there any other place on campus to study on weekends (preferably near a power source!) once the library closes at 5:00?

• Advertisement

GrandBlaa wrote: »
    Lads, what time does the Reading Room in the Arts Block close on Fridays/the weekend?

Is there any other place on campus to study on weekends (preferably near a power source!) once the library closes at 5:00?

Reading room

It closes at 11pm and opens around 7am (I've never been up early enough to find out exactly)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭Dickie10

great so theres no curfew?! why do i always find out good stuff about college in the last few weeks im here of my degree! oh well at least i have a handy semester timetable for such activites! just began to feel like a chore heading out and staying in peoples gaffs the last while, actually dont mind paying the few quid. dont suppose they let in any +1s ?? or am i just pushing it now...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭ Wayne Scary Balance

Definitely no plus ones. They are pricks about it. They take your student card and when you go to collect it in the morning they charge you for the guest you had.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭Dickie10

oh yikes , are u saying they take the student card? as a deposit or in case u act the maggot?

Arts block kitty has RETURNED ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Anybody can rent them, in fact you can book them through booking.com if you want. I've stayed in them a lot and never had an issue with the security, the curfew is at 1am but they're generally grand and let you in after that if you're nice to them ;) I've also never had my name or card checked when coming through the gate after hours.

Two people can stay, but you have to book the room for double occupancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

aaabbbb wrote: »
    Arts block kitty has RETURNED ! :D

So has the mumps!

Has anyone ever been or know anyone that was/is a Resident Assistant?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

Alt_Grr on here was an RA for a few years. You might wait and see if he shows up here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭JellyBeans92

Does anyone know it there's to be a Science Ball this year? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Alt_Grrr

How so Joe wrote: »
    Alt_Grr on here was an RA for a few years. You might wait and see if he shows up here.

Yep, I presume you want to ask questions about the job etc?

Alt_Grrr wrote: »
    Yep, I presume you want to ask questions about the job etc?

Yeah what is the job like on a general sense? How often do you have to do night shifts and what are they like? Finally, I wouldn't mind working most holidays but what is the chances of being stuck with a Christmas day or New years eve shift?

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Alt_Grrr

Yeah what is the job like on a general sense? How often do you have to do night shifts and what are they like? Finally, I wouldn't mind working most holidays but what is the chances of being stuck with a Christmas day or New years eve shift?

In terms of shifts I'm not sure, the set up for that stuff was tweaked every year and I stopped doing the job a few years ago.

As for getting time over the Christmas holidays, usually it drops down to one person on call per night for that time of year. So your chances are 1 divided by the number of Residence Assistants.

Usually what happens is that you can swap it with someone else and usually your lucky enough to have an RA who doesn't celebrate Christmas and is willing to make a trade. (But that's never a direct swap, so expect to be doing a few busy nights for them in return)

Most of the time the job is grand, if you generally like people and don't mind sitting around a bit. Some nights are completely dead. Literally nothing happens.
    Usually the first few weeks are a bit hectic, then it settles down.

Busy nights you can expect a lot of noise complaints and people getting locked out of their apartments. On occasion though in the middle of a quiet night someone will hit the fire alarm and run away. But you have to check if the building is actually on fire and turn off the alarm and replace the glass in the break glass unit. While people are standing out in the cold and complaining. (Nobody likes being woken up at 4.30 am by a false alarm)

Most people you deal with are actually sound and make the job enjoyable when times are good or at least a bit more bearable when they are not so good.

If anyone is thinking of applying, my advice is to apply.
    But if you want to know more, feel free to drop me a private message.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭JellyBeans92

I've been an RA too so I might be able to help, send me a PM if you've any questions.
    :D

Anyone see the e-mail on the new curriculum for first years? It looks a bit messy to be honest, there's just going to be enormous class sizes everywhere. Reducing entry routes will only increase points as well.

Anyone see the e-mail on the new curriculum for first years? It looks a bit messy to be honest, there's just going to be enormous class sizes everywhere. Reducing entry routes will only increase points as well.

I'm curious having heard the President talking about it before. Can you post it here?

Also, hopefully without causing debate, does anyone know how much the sabbat positions get paid per year? Can't find that info anywhere.

I'm curious having heard the President talking about it before. Can you post it here?

Also, hopefully without causing debate, does anyone know how much the sabbat positions get paid per year? Can't find that info anywhere.

I can't link it as it seems you can only access it through the e-mail but basically, it seems to be mainly for arts and science subjects, where there will be a common entry, you can choose up to four subjects and eventually major in one. Kind of reminds me of the American system.

About €340-360 a week, depending on your previous work / tax / PRSI paid / etc.

IIRC, they used to do a 40 hour week for minimum wage back in the day, like circa 2007, but they demanded more money and the college said "OK" and increased it to around €11 an hour – and just reduced their hours so they didn't actually get more money. But that's literally a second hand story from a previous sabbath.

• Advertisement

banquo wrote: »
    About €340-360 a week, depending on your previous work / tax / PRSI paid / etc.

IIRC, they used to do a 40 hour week for minimum wage back in the day, like circa 2007, but they demanded more money and the college said "OK" and increased it to around €11 an hour – and just reduced their hours so they didn't actually get more money. But that's literally a second hand story from a previous sabbath.

Cheers. I expected this to be one of those things that had to be disclosed but there's no info anywhere on it. Best I could find was the constitution saying that the Board of Trustees decide on payment.

Advertisement