Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

wireless calving cameras

• 06-11-2010 8:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

does anyone here know of any good quality wireless calving cameras on the market, the range needs to be about 50-100m, with a picture in colour.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Hi if you're anyway handy and willing to bodge things yourself this is what we did...

Onto E-bay and bought a transmitter/receiver set, they can be bought from UK suppliers but we bought direct from China and the goods came no bother...
    Similar to this set..
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/2-4GHz-Wireless-2W-Audio-Video-Transmitter-Receiver-uk-/280584634299?pt=UK_CCTV&hash=item415425bfbb

Long_range_24G_wireless_AV_transmitter_receiver.jpg

For the camera we used an old camcorder that was lying round, superior colour picture and sound, the AV connections match the transmitter perfectly.
    Like this..
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/Samsung-VP-M50-camcorder-/270657197984?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_Video_Camcorders&hash=item3f046d17a0

Fitted the transmitter inside a shed, drilled a hole and let the ariel poke out, sealed round..
    The receiver can either be in my bedroom window for night time viewing or in the living room for the day viewing.. direct AV connection to the TV.

Spent about 2 hours knocking it together and it is good and cheap.. Stuff shown above for about €80
    We're transmitting over about 200m direct line of sight...

• Registered Users Posts: 33 sheafield

company in cork sells hawk cameras. Think Equicom is name but you should find if you google. Bought 200m range colour camera and we put it up ourselves. worked brilliant all last year and has black and white night vision. about 160 euro i think which was very cheap compared to installers asking for 500 and more!!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

I reckon anybody putting in cameras now, should consider UP cameras. You could look at your shed from anywhere at any time. From computer,laptop, or smart phone. Very handy if you are working off farm.

Tora Bora wrote: »
    I reckon anybody putting in cameras now, should consider UP cameras. You could look at your shed from anywhere at any time. From computer,laptop, or smart phone. Very handy if you are working off farm.

I'd reckon that is the future OK, but with no real broadband distribution it's a bit off for lots of us.. All we have here is the three mobile set up giving us "mid-band" connection at poor speeds.. from a broadband perspective lots of rural Ireland is in the dark ages and I don't see any changes in the near future:(

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭ceannfort

definetly the way to go. installed CCTV sytem without broadband accessible cameras (for the want of knowing) as broadband was unavailable at the time. i now have broadban and regret it and am struggling to get anyone to clearly explain how i upgrade from my wired system to an internet accessible version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 gib1506

Most of the CCTV systems that have a harddisk recorder and an ethernet port on the back can be viewed remotely,Obviously not one that just connects to the TV.I have two IP camers in the shed that I can view on a laptop at home or I can view over the internet .One of the camea's is PAN/Tilt so I can move it arounf (handy when watching a cow calving).

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭the_one_&_only

Yeh my uncle is looking for me to setup calving camera's for him.

So i'm looking for some advice from you all.
    Tora Bora wrote: »

Where do you get these types of camera as these would be the best type for him to be able to monitor calving from any location on his phone
    gib1506 wrote: »
    Most of the CCTV systems that have a harddisk recorder and an ethernet port on the back can be viewed remotely,Obviously not one that just connects to the TV.I have two IP camers in the shed that I can view on a laptop at home or I can view over the internet .One of the camea's is PAN/Tilt so I can move it arounf (handy when watching a cow calving).

Did you put in this setup yourself??

• Registered Users Posts: 22 offalygirl08

Hi, I am not sure where you are based but there is a company in Offaly www.logicom.ie that actually provide these cameras and you can check them on the internet or on your iphone etc. Just looked at their site they service the whole of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

Hi, I am not sure where you are based but there is a company in Offaly www.logicom.ie that actually provide these cameras and you can check them on the internet or on your iphone etc. Just looked at their site they service the whole of Ireland.

their New Zoom Rotating camera is just the baby im looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

dar31 wrote: »

Will you let us know when you get a price for it??

• Advertisement

reilig wrote: »
    Will you let us know when you get a price for it??

contacted him throug his site last night. had a phone call at 08:10 this morning. nothing like a prompt service.
    he will get back to me during the week with a price.

the father has a system nearly 20 years old, that is hard wired in. that will pan and tilt with the light mounted behind the camera and follows it. same as what this lad is offering except his is wireless. it is the only way to get a true and accurate picture of cows calving. ive a seperate system in with 4 static cameras with ir through the broadband and it is useless hard to make out where one cow starts and the other ends at night. even with a metahalite light on

• Registered Users Posts: 22 offalygirl08

Great! That is quick service. Hope it all works out for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 topcat199

Hi did anyone install a wireless system with the option of viewing it also online.I want the main signal sent to the house on the farm (200metre house to shed)and I want also to view it from my own house which is 15 mile away.I have heard of different ways of doing it but would like to talk to someone that has it up and running.
    Thanks
    Topcat199

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Miller80

Between my house and yard is a load of big trees, would these affect the quality of picture from cameras?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I've been considering a GSM security camera that will send pictures and videos to my mobile phone on request. It would be for a shed on an outfarm with no broadband and too far for a wireless or wired camera. It would be useful for checking on things once or twice a day and relatively cheap to buy and operate. Something like this:

http://www.eye-02.co.uk/index.html

It is a diy installation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 topcat199

Yeah it is an option but I would prefer the wireless camera option it just I ve heard there are multiple ways of doing it via internet like connecting the feed straight to a computer at the house and let this stream the footage and then just use logmein to see whats on that computer so it keeps down the cost regarding data usage on your phone bill

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭briangriffin

bbam wrote: »
    Hi if you're anyway handy and willing to bodge things yourself this is what we did...

Onto E-bay and bought a transmitter/receiver set, they can be bought from UK suppliers but we bought direct from China and the goods came no bother...
    Similar to this set..
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/2-4GHz-Wireless-2W-Audio-Video-Transmitter-Receiver-uk-/280584634299?pt=UK_CCTV&hash=item415425bfbb

Long_range_24G_wireless_AV_transmitter_receiver.jpg

For the camera we used an old camcorder that was lying round, superior colour picture and sound, the AV connections match the transmitter perfectly.
    Like this..
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/Samsung-VP-M50-camcorder-/270657197984?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_Video_Camcorders&hash=item3f046d17a0

Fitted the transmitter inside a shed, drilled a hole and let the ariel poke out, sealed round..
    The receiver can either be in my bedroom window for night time viewing or in the living room for the day viewing.. direct AV connection to the TV.

Spent about 2 hours knocking it together and it is good and cheap.. Stuff shown above for about €80
    We're transmitting over about 200m direct line of sight...

Hi bbam just wondering if you had the time to explain exactly how this system works? You place the camera in the shed you must have to leave it plugged in and on for the night? the camera is connected to the transmitter is the transmitter also plugged in? you then have the receiver in your rooom and that is connected into the av scart of your computer? cheers

Hi bbam just wondering if you had the time to explain exactly how this system works? You place the camera in the shed you must have to leave it plugged in and on for the night? the camera is connected to the transmitter is the transmitter also plugged in? you then have the receiver in your rooom and that is connected into the av scart of your computer? cheers

Camera & transmitter in the calving shed, yes both are plugged in and running all the time, AV connection cable from camera to transmitter.

Receiver plugged in in house and AV connection cable from receiver to TV.

To improve signal I drilled an 8mm hole in sheeting and let short ariel fo transmitter out through that.

Energy saving lights in shed on all night.

It's currently stored away but will be in use again soon..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

bbam wrote: »
    Camera & transmitter in the calving shed, yes both are plugged in and running all the time, AV connection cable from camera to transmitter.

Receiver plugged in in house and AV connection cable from receiver to TV.

To improve signal I drilled an 8mm hole in sheeting and let short ariel fo transmitter out through that.

Energy saving lights in shed on all night.

It's currently stored away but will be in use again soon..

Would be a mighty simple solution, if you could connect the receiver end to a PC. That way you could log on form work or whatever through LOGMEIN software, as see what was happening in the shed:cool:

Would be a mighty simple solution, if you could connect the receiver end to a PC. That way you could log on form work or whatever through LOGMEIN software, as see what was happening in the shed:cool:

I suppose it would work with an AV->USB grabber but I've never tried, I have used a grabber to recover some old VHS onto DVD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭bog_savage

I have similar system as bbam , using 4 cameras ,
    The 1 2.4ghz receiver can switch between them .

Have them mounted on these panning bases so each camera covers a wider area
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/Auto-Rotate-Security-CCTV-CCD-Camera-Pan-Stand-Holder-B-/170583256607?pt=UK_CCTV&hash=item27b78dee1f

Also have a 2inch handheld receiver which I can have in the tractor or parlour and keep an eye on a cow .

Signal is not great from some of the cameras though , bbam , what type of external ariel have you sticking out through the roof ?

Cane across this , handy way of accessing cameras from PC

http://cgi.ebay.ie/USB-4-Channel-Wireless-CCTV-Camera-Video-Recorder-DVR-B-/180600670263?pt=UK_CCTV&hash=item2a0ca38837

bog_savage wrote: »
    bbam , what type of external ariel have you sticking out through the roof ?

It's not an external at all, it's the fixed ariel on the unit, I drilled a small hole and the transmitter is cable tied in place so the ariel is protruding through.. It's at a downward slope to ensure drips fall off the end rather than run down into the unit... Makes a great difference to the quality of the signal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 jmhur

I am thinking of investing in a wireless camera system as well.

The distance from calving house to dwelling is 70-80 metres approx. Alas. palm trees prevent direct line of vision.
    Is there any way around this, apart from chopping down the trees?
    Could the signal be bounced off another antenna on its way to house?
    Thanking you in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 esolutions

jmhur... From experience just cut down the palm trees. Nothing works as good as clear line of sight. Some systems say they can send signal through trees. This is possible but when the trees move in the wind it will interfere with the picture..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Shauny2010

jmhur wrote: »
    I am thinking of investing in a wireless camera system as well.

The distance from calving house to dwelling is 70-80 metres approx. Alas. palm trees prevent direct line of vision.
    Is there any way around this, apart from chopping down the trees?
    Could the signal be bounced off another antenna on its way to house?
    Thanking you in advance.

You could just use the old type cable camera over that distance, in fact for a really cheap solution go and buy one of those CCTV cameras in Aldi. replace the 25m cable they supplied with whatever length cable you need ( within reason as in less than 90m)
    There may be a small loss of picture quality over that distance if thats acceptable do no more if you want a perfect picture then connect the cable to a signal booster beside the TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pure breed

Duffmanic wrote: »
    does anyone here know of any good quality wireless calving cameras on the market, the range needs to be about 50-100m, with a picture in colour.

Hi i recently just bought a cctv camera in aldi 100m range for the purpose of cows calving.
    Our slatted shed/calving pen is a little farther then that, so to boost the signal to the house i also got a signal relayer in maplin that sends the signal/pic all the way to the house allowing for walls/buildings etc.
    Total cost €120
    cctv €60
    Signal relay €60 (can take 4 cameras)
    hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭aidanki

we have a turf shed 10yrds from back of out house. it is in the line of sight, and calving pen is about another 150yrds away

we would have clear line of sight other than for turf shed

does the turf shed rule out wireless

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭aidanki

dar31 wrote: »

is this camera connected to TV or PC

the zoom rotate how does it work?

when you go to view it via TV/PC? do you rotate it? or do you program it so that it turns, pauses for preset time and then moves to next position?

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Pacoa

Have a look on http://www.chinavasion.com/index.php/cName/surveillance-equipment

Some reasonably priced stuff there.

• Advertisement

aidanki wrote: »
    is this camera connected to TV or PC

the zoom rotate how does it work?

when you go to view it via TV/PC? do you rotate it? or do you program it so that it turns, pauses for preset time and then moves to next position?

it is connected to the pc/wireless to the lap top, and have a tinge ma gig that sends it to the tv.

when set up properly it can be viewed over the internet on an iphone
    the zoom rotate can be controlled from pc/phone
    the big advantage of the system the lad has is the light mounted behind the camera and follows the path of the camera and can also be turned on and off from pc, clams you can read the tag in ear from a good distance....?
    unfortunately he wont have it up and going till late summer.
    he has the same kit imported but it costs 2-3k+, where as he is building his one for considerably cheaper cant get exact price from him though.

the current stuff i have in is similar in setup but with 4 fixed cameras, but has a lot of problems with lighting and picture clarity.
    ptz camera with the light is the key to it.

Advertisement